• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So I came up with a pet care mechanic for Agumon.

• Feed vitamins to maintain his Strength.
• Feed food to maintain his Energy.
• If you care for him enough you'll be able to bandage him to recover a bit of damage.
• Caring for him includes proper food and vitamins as well as using the bathroom icon.
• He can drop deuces and it can be picked up as a weapon/ item by using the bathroom.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A quick moveset idea I threw together, mostly for placeholder purposes. I'll flesh it out later on:

Up B – Claw Uppercut: Basically a “Shoryuken” with an open hand.
Forward B – Mach Jab: Summersaults into a flying “punch” with open hand. Great for horizontal recovery and can grab the ledge at any point during.
Down B – Dynamite Kick: 360 spin into a powerful kick.
Neutral B – Pepper Breath: Quick and tiny, long-range fireball. Grows bigger and more damaging with charge in 3 stages. Third stage is “Spitfire Blast” which hits almost the entire area in front of Agumon and hits hard but barely travels at all.

Up Tilt - ???:
Up Smash – Uppercut: A strong uppercut with a closed fist.
Forward Tilt – kick: A decent, single-footed kick. Hits when the foot is at 45 degrees. Pretty quick but little range.
Forward Smash – Twin Dynamite Kick: Plants his hands on the ground and swings himself round horizontally for a twin kick. Slow but powerful.
Down Tilt - ???:
Down Smash - ???:

Jab Combo – Sharp Nail Combo: Right and left alternating punches with a slight inward curl and an open hand.
Jab Combo Finisher – Cross Fire: Leans in to bite the opponent.

Dash Motion: It's a “naruto run”...

Dash Attack – also Cross Fire: Practically lunges forwards into a stronger bite attack. Falls flat on his belly if he misses.

Up Air - ???:

Forward Air – Flying Haymaker: A strong right punch that carries Agumon forward. Uses a closed first and has a slight inward curl to it.

Back Air – Twin Kick: Agumon thrusts both his feet backwards. Think his rumble arena 2 Forward Air but backwards and a touch slower.

Down Air – Stomp: A simple “stop and drop” stomp move like many other characters have.

Neutral Air - ???

Little Gimmicks: Agumon's basic kick (F-Tilt) and any punches using an open hand have a tiny tipper with massive knockback if only the claws connect.
Any punches using a closed hand will flash with semi-transparent pixels and increase his meter if they connect, assuming that we're using a digivolve meter. This is because many of them are Daimon's moves, in addition to his own.

• If you care for him enough you'll be able to bandage him to recover a bit of damage.
• Caring for him includes proper food and vitamins as well as using the bathroom icon.
• He can drop deuces and it can be picked up as a weapon/item by using the bathroom.
Would food, vitamins and bathroom breaks take up his specials then or what? That sounds increadibly intrusive, especially for mechanics that have little to do with what the character is actually known for nowadays.

Semi-random poop-item spawns would be a funny knod to his origins, though.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
A quick moveset idea I threw together, mostly for placeholder purposes. I'll flesh it out later on:

Up B – Claw Uppercut: Basically a “Shoryuken” with an open hand.
Forward B – Mach Jab: Summersaults into a flying “punch” with open hand. Great for horizontal recovery and can grab the ledge at any point during.
Down B – Dynamite Kick: 360 spin into a powerful kick.
Neutral B – Pepper Breath: Quick and tiny, long-range fireball. Grows bigger and more damaging with charge in 3 stages. Third stage is “Spitfire Blast” which hits almost the entire area in front of Agumon and hits hard but barely travels at all.

Up Tilt - ???:
Up Smash – Uppercut: A strong uppercut with a closed fist.
Forward Tilt – kick: A decent, single-footed kick. Hits when the foot is at 45 degrees. Pretty quick but little range.
Forward Smash – Twin Dynamite Kick: Plants his hands on the ground and swings himself round horizontally for a twin kick. Slow but powerful.
Down Tilt - ???:
Down Smash - ???:

Jab Combo – Sharp Nail Combo: Right and left alternating punches with a slight inward curl and an open hand.
Jab Combo Finisher – Cross Fire: Leans in to bite the opponent.

Dash Motion: It's a “naruto run”...

Dash Attack – also Cross Fire: Practically lunges forwards into a stronger bite attack. Falls flat on his belly if he misses.

Up Air - ???:

Forward Air – Flying Haymaker: A strong right punch that carries Agumon forward. Uses a closed first and has a slight inward curl to it.

Back Air – Twin Kick: Agumon thrusts both his feet backwards. Think his rumble arena 2 Forward Air but backwards and a touch slower.

Down Air – Stomp: A simple “stop and drop” stomp move like many other characters have.

Neutral Air - ???

Little Gimmicks: Agumon's basic kick (F-Tilt) and any punches using an open hand have a tiny tipper with massive knockback if only the claws connect.
Any punches using a closed hand will flash with semi-transparent pixels and increase his meter if they connect, assuming that we're using a digivolve meter. This is because many of them are Daimon's moves, in addition to his own.

Would food, vitamins and bathroom breaks take up his specials then or what? That sounds increadibly intrusive, especially for mechanics that have little to do with what the character is actually known for nowadays.

Semi-random poop-item spawns would be a funny knod to his origins, though.
I don't think it would take up a special. You would probably toggle threw the commands like Shulks powers.
Vpets on handhelds were released up until 2010.

Also if you've played the recent games on ps4... elements from these hand helds have still carried over vitamins and meat are still core part of the series.

I think the only way Sakurai would include Agumon would be based on his merits as a vPet.
It's a niche of video games, that hasn't been included in Smash, so obviously if he was included his mechanics would likely reflect that.

I don't really see the why Agumon would be included over Lloyd, Kos-Mos, Klonoa, etc. without paying homage to his origins and a niche in gaming.

..otherwise he doesn't stand out from the rest... like Lloyd got a costume in Smash 4.

Agumon's a tamagotchi... if they didn't have tamagotchi mechanics... like idk to just include anime fan service won't happen, we barely see Pokemon reflect the anime in Smash.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

• He can drop deuces and it can be picked up as a weapon/ item by using the bathroom.

That's very clever, and would be a different but accurate way to represent the gameplay of his first games.
You have fully converted me.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman

As much as I appreciate the effort it took to make this and think out how vPet mechanics could work.
and as cool as some of these ideas are. having all those bars and icons around Agumon's portrait at the bottom of the screen feels a little excessive/messy
little mac and Shulk only had 1 thing to keep track of. but with Agumon you've got 2 bars to keep track of and 3 icons to toggle through. I'm not saying this couldn't work. I actually quite like it. but it feels like it could be a bit too confusing.
Drawing inspiration for the vPets does sound like a very cool idea though. (personal bias since I'm currently raising 2 of them)

maybe building his entire moveset on the vpet could be an easier way to make him work. although then you would lose him being "Agumon" and just have him being "A Digimon"

perhaps something like this

Standard A: Mach Jab: a claw swipe/poke
Repeated A: Mach Jab Combo: repeated claw swipes
Running A: Dynamite Kick: a jump kick
Up A: Claw Uppercut: an uppercut
Down A: Spitfire: shoots a small fire projectile at the ground in front of him

B: Pepper Breath: Agumon's Signature fireball.
Up B: I don't know. needs to be some kind of recovery ideally.
Side B: Meat/bandage: a piece of meat appears in front of Agumon. he can eat it to increase his strength. eating too many in a short span of time makes him sick (removes all strength increases and prevents use of attacks until healed.) pressing Side B again will cure Agumon's sickness and return him to normal.
Down B: Poop: Agumon poops. if the poop is stepped in it causes tripping. can also be picked up to throw at opponents for damage. 8 poops can be placed at a time (the max from the vPets)

Final Smash: Training: Similar to Marth's final smash a bar appears beneath agumon. pressing the B button stops the bar. the more filled the bar is the stronger Agumon's Attack will be. a fully charged bar causes an incredibly powerful critical attack (2 fireballs)

the only things missing from the vpet then are Lights, stats, battle, death, cry and digivolution.
perhaps some sot of damage accumulation or time damage dealt hidden counter can accumulate to allow digivolutions. which given the moveset is mostly vpet based would only change (strengthen) his standard special. just a thought.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As much as I appreciate the effort it took to make this and think out how vPet mechanics could work.
and as cool as some of these ideas are. having all those bars and icons around Agumon's portrait at the bottom of the screen feels a little excessive/messy
little mac and Shulk only had 1 thing to keep track of. but with Agumon you've got 2 bars to keep track of and 3 icons to toggle through. I'm not saying this couldn't work. I actually quite like it. but it feels like it could be a bit too confusing.
Drawing inspiration for the vPets does sound like a very cool idea though. (personal bias since I'm currently raising 2 of them)

maybe building his entire moveset on the vpet could be an easier way to make him work. although then you would lose him being "Agumon" and just have him being "A Digimon"

perhaps something like this

Standard A: Mach Jab: a claw swipe/poke
Repeated A: Mach Jab Combo: repeated claw swipes
Running A: Dynamite Kick: a jump kick
Up A: Claw Uppercut: an uppercut
Down A: Spitfire: shoots a small fire projectile at the ground in front of him

B: Pepper Breath: Agumon's Signature fireball.
Up B: I don't know. needs to be some kind of recovery ideally.
Side B: Meat/bandage: a piece of meat appears in front of Agumon. he can eat it to increase his strength. eating too many in a short span of time makes him sick (removes all strength increases and prevents use of attacks until healed.) pressing Side B again will cure Agumon's sickness and return him to normal.
Down B: Poop: Agumon poops. if the poop is stepped in it causes tripping. can also be picked up to throw at opponents for damage. 8 poops can be placed at a time (the max from the vPets)

Final Smash: Training: Similar to Marth's final smash a bar appears beneath agumon. pressing the B button stops the bar. the more filled the bar is the stronger Agumon's Attack will be. a fully charged bar causes an incredibly powerful critical attack (2 fireballs)

the only things missing from the vpet then are Lights, stats, battle, death, cry and digivolution.
perhaps some sot of damage accumulation or time damage dealt hidden counter can accumulate to allow digivolutions. which given the moveset is mostly vpet based would only change (strengthen) his standard special. just a thought.
While I agree with your point about having two many icons for Agumon, I do think the design could be visually appealing if done correctly.

On the flip side, I see none of the vPet games in your moveset, just generic moves unrelated to how the digital devices work. What am I missing?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Yeah, the mechanics could be simplified and cleaned up.
Maybe someone else can improve upon the ideas in this thread.

In Digimon World series of games the character would emote by having a cloud with a symbol over their head.
The emote/ symbol would indicate if hungry, tired, bathroom etc.

Maybe that idea can be utilized, idk, tired atm.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
While I agree with your point about having two many icons for Agumon, I do think the design could be visually appealing if done correctly.

On the flip side, I see none of the vPet games in your moveset, just generic moves unrelated to how the digital devices work. What am I missing?
hmm, no, you're right. mine focussed entirely on what the digimon in the vpet DOES and not what being a vPet IS.
it was just something i quickly threw together to illustrate an idea. but I guess i messed up. my bad.

Yeah, the mechanics could be simplified and cleaned up.
Maybe someone else can improve upon the ideas in this thread.

In Digimon World series of games the character would emote by having a cloud with a symbol over their head.
The emote/ symbol would indicate if hungry, tired, bathroom etc.

Maybe that idea can be utilized, idk, tired atm.
This idea i like. Digimon world was a lot of fun. and reducing the amount of icons on the bottom of the screen by replacing at least some of them with the speech bubble from digimon world to illustrate what agumon's wants/needs are at the time sounds like a good idea to me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I was mulling over the idea of Digivolving.
I don't know if it's practical to think there could be a return to transformation characters.

However, since it's a different Smash maybe an exception could be made in this case.

I figure maybe there could be some sort of meter he would have to fill before being eligible to Digivolve.
It could also be taking x amount of damage or dealing x amount of damage, as a prerequisite to Digivolve.

In vPet 1, his most optimal evolution was Greymon, so I suppose that would be the proper transformation.
I don't know if it would be reasonable to expect many transformations.
Perhaps his Final Smash would be MetalGreymon (Virus).

I feel like if the pet mechanics were in place, and you did a poor job of caring for Agumon he should evolve into Numemon.
Numemon was the worse evolution you could get from improper care.
He's also hilarious and his only attack is to throw poop.

Only problem is when it comes to the Final Smash Numemon can't evolve into MetalGreymon.
Only evolution he has is Monzaemon (Giant Teddy Bear).
So I guess he would not only have two possible transformations, but two final Smashes.
But do you devolve after the final smash?

Digimon don't really devolve in the games though... like they can... so you can improve stats.. but that whole thing is more of an anime thing... So idk i'm a little conflicted on the whole aspect of how to approach the idea of an evolving gimmick.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I was mulling over the idea of Digivolving.
I don't know if it's practical to think there could be a return to transformation characters.

However, since it's a different Smash maybe an exception could be made in this case.

I figure maybe there could be some sort of meter he would have to fill before being eligible to Digivolve.
It could also be taking x amount of damage or dealing x amount of damage, as a prerequisite to Digivolve.

In vPet 1, his most optimal evolution was Greymon, so I suppose that would be the proper transformation.
I don't know if it would be reasonable to expect many transformations.
Perhaps his Final Smash would be MetalGreymon (Virus).

I feel like if the pet mechanics were in place, and you did a poor job of caring for Agumon he should evolve into Numemon.
Numemon was the worse evolution you could get from improper care.
He's also hilarious and his only attack is to throw poop.

Only problem is when it comes to the Final Smash Numemon can't evolve into MetalGreymon.
Only evolution he has is Monzaemon (Giant Teddy Bear).
So I guess he would not only have two possible transformations, but two final Smashes.
But do you devolve after the final smash?

Digimon don't really devolve in the games though... like they can... so you can improve stats.. but that whole thing is more of an anime thing... So idk i'm a little conflicted on the whole aspect of how to approach the idea of an evolving gimmick.
Although I believe your ideas are wonderful when it comes to Digimon, I do not think everything needs to be based on Virtual Pets!
I believe that relying on some fundamentals of recent games or even anime and manga is not impossible! And it would help plug some holes.

D

Deleted member

Uh, so... What am I supposed to do to get my digital cookie?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Uh, so... What am I supposed to do to get my digital cookie?
Just take one for you, and please leave your opinion on Agumon4Smash!
Every bit is a Cookie! All together they form a Giant One!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just take one for you, and please leave your opinion on Agumon4Smash!
Every bit is a Cookie! All together they form a Giant One!

Well uh
I don't have any attachment to Digimon so I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other.
Thanks for the cookie tho

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Although I believe your ideas are wonderful when it comes to Digimon, I do not think everything needs to be based on Virtual Pets!
I believe that relying on some fundamentals of recent games or even anime and manga is not impossible! And it would help plug some holes.
I've played the most recent games.

Evolution is nothing like the anime...

You train up stats with fights and buying certain items.

Then you go to a computer and edit the digimon and you can evolve them if you have the right items and stats.
Some digimon you need to evolve then max their stats, then devolve and rinse repeat.

Rest of the games battles are turn based.

Graizen

Smash Champion
What you guys think the Digimon icon should be in Smash?
I had 3 ideas:

1 - Digital Monsters Logo

2 - The Digivice

3 - Virtual Pet

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What you guys think the Digimon icon should be in Smash?
I had 3 ideas:

1 - Digital Monsters Logo

2 - The Digivice

3 - Virtual Pet

well i think the digivice would make the most sense, if theyre representing the franchise as a whole, if its just the game then perhaps the virtual pet

isnt number 1 the digimon tamers logo?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I associate that first logo with Digimon Tamers.
the Digivive and vPet both ar decent choices.
so is the crest of courage since it's Agumon

Graizen

Smash Champion
A curiosity for you to think:

In the game Digimon Story Cyber Sleught, although not being released to any Nintendo console yet, there are many references to Pokémon.

Look at this as an example:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing that little nod to pokemon when i played through cyber sleuth. it made me chuckle.
the over-abundance of mistranslations, not so much...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well what do you know, I came over to this thread hoping to ask what would make a good series symbol for my Agumon UI, and y'all were generous enough to provide some examples. :p

Here's what I made, courtesy of ryuu seika ryuu seika .

Agumon-character-ui.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think ill throw together a mock set of alts based on his variations

edit: and here it is

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do you think Sakurai would do something like that?
I don't think Agumon is going to get in.

But if he were going to get in, then yes- I do think he would have an original design based on the core dynamics of his games.

Graizen

Smash Champion
i think ill throw together a mock set of alts based on his variations

edit: and here it is

Thats cool! But i think they will put just one different costume MAX.
All the others will be just colours.

Graizen

Smash Champion
AND HERE IT IS!
The Animation my friend did to Support Agumon for Smash!

I hope you guys like it!

Graizen

Smash Champion
I don't think Agumon is going to get in.

But if he were going to get in, then yes- I do think he would have an original design based on the core dynamics of his games.
Alot of people are negative about Agumon.
But i have my hopes for him! Im working hard for it to happen!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Alot of people are negative about Agumon.
But i have my hopes for him! Im working hard for it to happen!
Its not being negative toward Agumon to think he won't get in the game.
It is just not believing that he will get in. I would love for Agumon to get in.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Its not being negative toward Agumon to think he won't get in the game.
It is just not believing that he will get in. I would love for Agumon to get in.
Im trying to make a Stage based on Digimon.
Do you have any ideas?

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Personally, I'd like to see a really bouncy stage based on the garden of baby digimon in Adventure one or a port of Rumble Arena 2's Chaos Wasteland. Neither seems highly likely, though.

Perhaps we could get a stage where every so often the textures strip away to a ribbon of code a la season 4, the wireframe underneath shifts slightly and new code enters, providing a thematic way of showing multiple series locations?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want Agumon cause Pokemon vs Digimon in Smash is god.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I want Agumon cause Pokemon vs Digimon in Smash is god.

Welcome! And thanks for your support!

Personally, I'd like to see a really bouncy stage based on the garden of baby digimon in Adventure one or a port of Rumble Arena 2's Chaos Wasteland. Neither seems highly likely, though.

Perhaps we could get a stage where every so often the textures strip away to a ribbon of code a la season 4, the wireframe underneath shifts slightly and new code enters, providing a thematic way of showing multiple series locations?

I personally had 3 ideas that I found very good!
The 3 are related to games in the series "World"

1 - File City
I thought a stage right in front of Jijimon House would be really cool. This was the first Digimon game for consoles, and you literally stayed in that area for most of the game!

2 - File City RE
It's File City from Digimon World RE: Digitize. It is a much more developed city, with high buildings and much more details.

3 - Floatia
It is the City of Digimon World Next Order game. The interesting thing about this city is that in a certain part of the game it starts to float in the sky, which can fit perfectly with the Stages of Smash Bros.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I assume if they have a stage, it will be 100 percent based on the actual handheld device of the original creatures.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Oh man,I haven't seen File City in so long... I really should play Digimon World again..

as for a stage, I agree with DukeNapoleon. the most likely guess for a stage they'd include is a flatzone-esque stage literally inside the Vpet device

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
And what you think a stage based on a Virtual pet should be like?
Well, you could have the sprites of classic digimon as stage hazzards, moving around the screen, eating their food. shooting attacks, etc. would be a nice way to get cameos of other digimon besides agumon in the game. but for the most part it would be a lot like Flat Zone. a very basic layout.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What about Infinite Mountain from Digimon World? is the most "digital" stage I could think, and it could have Machinedramon as an stage hazard.

Top Bottom