• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Graizen

Smash Champion
It's pretty exciting seeing that theres alot of demand as well. Agumon supporters maybe aren't as vocal as others, but it require a little buzz for make them awake for show their love for the character.

Now, with the recent talk, i want to bring an idea that i had in mind for quite a while: What if Agumon comes with a Care Meter as part of his gimmick?

He could grind his meter by attacking opponents, and when filled, he can digivolve to Greymon. He sometimes gets hungry during battle, with an icon showing on his portrait (it happens faster if you attack/run/dash a lot), and your meter starts to decrease and gets weaker attacks. His down B will make Agumon pluck a Meat/Sirloin for the ground and eat it, and by doing it while hungry rewars Agumon with more meter and a temporary attack buff (eating when not hungry doesn't get you any buff but delays the hunger state). The Down B also his his digievolution command when the meter is full (an icon appears on his portrait during it)

When he digievolves into Greymon, i had in mind that his stats slightly vary, depending on your actions when playing Agumon: eating/shielding a lot makes Greymon heavier, running alot makes Greymon faster, and attacking constantly gives greymon more power on his attacks. I believe most of us imagine the evolutions to end being time-based like some digimon games, but i would prefer if Greymon reverts to Agumon only after losting a fixed amount of HP, which can regain by eating meat (the HP will be his filled meter that depletes by getting hit).

I believe this idea would make agumon very interesting and distinct in design and playstyle, and making him faithfull to his roots as a v-pet. What do you think?
Love it!
A energy bar + some mechanic from the Tamagotchis is something Sakurai will maybe want to do for him.

I think Agumon in Smash would be really refreshing to see :)
Also Pikachu Vs Agumon is something I want to see :D
Welcome to the Agumon support thread!

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
The people who want all these different mechanics for Agumon when he added to Smash. They're probably just going to use the mechanics of Digimon Rumble Arena 2 for Agumon in Smash anyway.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
What if Agumon comes with a Care Meter as part of his gimmick?

He sometimes gets hungry during battle, with an icon showing on his portrait (it happens faster if you attack/run/dash a lot), and your meter starts to decrease and gets weaker attacks. His down B will make Agumon pluck a Meat/Sirloin for the ground and eat it, and by doing it while hungry rewars Agumon with more meter and a temporary attack buff (eating when not hungry doesn't get you any buff but delays the hunger state). The Down B also his his digievolution command when the meter is full (an icon appears on his portrait during it)

When he digievolves into Greymon, i had in mind that his stats slightly vary, depending on your actions when playing Agumon: eating/shielding a lot makes Greymon heavier, running alot makes Greymon faster, and attacking constantly gives greymon more power on his attacks. I believe most of us imagine the evolutions to end being time-based like some digimon games, but i would prefer if Greymon reverts to Agumon only after losting a fixed amount of HP, which can regain by eating meat (the HP will be his filled meter that depletes by getting hit).

I believe this idea would make agumon very interesting and distinct in design and playstyle, and making him faithfull to his roots as a v-pet. What do you think?
*Breathing through teeth*
I allllllllmost wanna say helllll no. ONLY because we've had these characters played out in Smash Bros. History in Brawl: :ivysaur::charizard::squirtle:
This is because, when you move, attack & stale yourself often with one PKMN at a time, you had a mechanic tied to them which was called "Stamina". This mechanic heavily reduced their attack damage & launch power the longer the fight was prolonged. Your breakdown of hunger for the Care Meter sounded similarly to Stamina from Brawl. To which is why my original reply would be "HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO LOL". But obviously, giving your reply a full-read, it's basically justifiable if handled correctly... heh, pet-care pun.

Represented in Smash as a V-Pet play-style for homage to the original games of being a Digimon Dad/Mom honestly sounds acceptable. The player taking care of their digimon while battling with it is literally the exact same sensation as playing the games. And that feels "right".

I do think though, that what makes the character act & battle differently in Smash depending on the parameters being changed is going far into complicated territory. It would surely be unique because literally no other character operates the same as that. And advanced players wouldn't mind this game-play or style of play, but to isolate a play-style deemed "too advanced" for the average player to understand will be a likely result. Unfortunately, I don't believe in the possibility that they'll represent the post-training simulation of raising your digimon with number-increases depending on your inputs in-battle. It's resembling to the Smash 4 "Shadow Eye" Advanced Technique Shulk had when he inputted anything 4-frames after the endlag of the move. When you did this, you'd regenerate counter-frames instantly upon that action. And if you know anything about S4 Shulk, he was basically a plethora of Advanced Techniques. Yet, in Smash Ultimate, they removed most of his endless amount of tech to simplify him. Which is what makes me believe they won't go that far with providing Agumon more than 3 HUB/UI elements near his Damage Meter. I can see 3, but that's as far as I can see them going.

The most I see is: 1 for digivolution meter. 1 for the misc. care/pet mistakes that appear (Meat/Tiredness). And 1 for de-digivolving.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon World was released in 1999 before the Anime. ok , BUT
Digital Monster Ver. S: Digimon Tamers is a game for the Sega Saturn released in 1998.

unnamed.jpg

Graizen

Smash Champion
So , theory time
Digimon Survive was a game for 2019 and was moved for 2020
And they revealed Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition for 2019
Imagine if Agumon was chosen as a DLC for 2020, and they wanted to relaese him together with Digimon Survive and thats why the game was moved to 2020
And they wanted a game for 2019 and thats why Cyber Sleuth was ported

This way they will increase Digimon's popularity starting with Cyber Sleuth, and then help Survive sales with DLC on Smash

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So , theory time
Digimon Survive was a game for 2019 and was moved for 2020
And they revealed Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition for 2019
Imagine if Agumon was chosen as a DLC for 2020, and they wanted to relaese him together with Digimon Survive and thats why the game was moved to 2020
And they wanted a game for 2019 and thats why Cyber Sleuth was ported

This way they will increase Digimon's popularity starting with Cyber Sleuth, and then help Survive sales with DLC on Smash
honestly I have no idea what to think in regards to Digimons likely hood of getting in smash. In some regards they seem likely and good picks but then a list of 15 characters could be made without even mentioning Digimon. I currently think that Digimon will be the next Bandai Namco character if we get one, but that is a big IF.

Graizen

Smash Champion
22222.jpg

Konaka is the director for Digimon Tamers
Do you think he means something by that?

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Our cause is to make people to think that Digimon didn't started as an anime......but Toei isn't helping, lol

BTW, was Toei involved at all in any Digimon games besides the ones based on the anime? Because it looks strange having a hacker's memory screenshot alongside Dragonball and One Piece pics

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's stuff like this that make people think that Digimon is an anime franchise and thus ineligible for Smash.

傑明洛

Smash Cadet
Our cause is to make people to think that Digimon didn't started as an anime......but Toei isn't helping, lol

BTW, was Toei involved at all in any Digimon games besides the ones based on the anime? Because it looks strange having a hacker's memory screenshot alongside Dragonball and One Piece pics
I wouldn't say it's "to make people think" but rather to show them it's true, digimon didn't start as an anime. Digimon having a better anime than pokemon is starting to feel like a curse lol

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to ask, how many of you became Digimon fans because of the games (or V-Pets) without any influence from watching the anime? Because therein I believe lies the reason why Digimon isn't really seen as a video game series. Until recently, Digimon games just weren't really well-liked by non-fans. Much of the enjoyment and sales of Digimon games I feel come mainly from people who were already introduced to it through the anime. Those who weren't likely found limited appeal in them. And I think that's what differentiates Digimon from other third-parties considered for Smash. Many of the games were enjoyed as a result of prior exposure to the anime rather than the quality of the games themselves. Sakurai and Nintendo's goal with third-parties (especially in terms of DLC) seems to be to get series that have made an impact on gaming history and are well-known and popular within the gaming community. Digimon games I feel, aren't really on that level yet. Again, the legacy of Digimon is a result of the anime.

Cementing this I feel is the fact that until around the 2010's, the majority of Digimon games were based around the anime. Rumble Arena, Battle Spirit, Racing, the Ryo games, all based on concepts, characters, and ideas originating from the anime. Of course there were games like the Digimon Worlds 1-4 and Championship independent of the anime, but they still received middling to negative reviews. I think that if we had gotten Re:Digitize and Cyber Sleuth around 10 years earlier, then we would likely be at a place where Digimon games are appreciated independent of the anime, and thus much for likely for Smash.

Don't take this as me not wanting Digimon in Smash though. Many of the already discussed reasons why Digimon could and should be in Smash still stand, this is just to spark discussion on what I think is the main thing that could prevent it from making the cut in Ultimate.

Last edited:

傑明洛

Smash Cadet
I'd like to ask, how many of you became Digimon fans because of the games (or V-Pets) without any influence from watching the anime? Because therein I believe lies the reason why Digimon isn't really seen as a video game series. Until recently, Digimon games just weren't really well-liked by non-fans. Much of the enjoyment and sales of Digimon games I feel come mainly from people who were already introduced to it through the anime. Those who weren't likely found limited appeal in them. And I think that's what differentiates Digimon from other third-parties considered for Smash. Many of the games were enjoyed as a result of prior exposure to the anime rather than the quality of the games themselves. Sakurai and Nintendo's goal with third-parties (especially in terms of DLC) seems to be to get series that have made an impact on gaming history and are well-known and popular within the gaming community. Digimon games I feel, aren't really on that level yet. Again, the legacy of Digimon is a result of the anime.

Cementing this I feel is the fact that until around the 2010's, the majority of Digimon games were based around the anime. Rumble Arena, Battle Spirit, Racing, the Ryo games, all based on concepts, characters, and ideas originating from the anime. Of course there were games like the Digimon Worlds 1-4 and Championship independent of the anime, but they still received middling to negative reviews. I think that if we had gotten Re:Digitize and Cyber Sleuth around 10 years earlier, then we would likely be at a place where Digimon games are appreciated independent of the anime, and thus much for likely for Smash.

Don't take this as me not wanting Digimon in Smash though. Many of the already discussed reasons why Digimon could and should be in Smash still stand, this is just to spark discussion on what I think is the main thing that could prevent it from making the cut in Ultimate.
Not even lie I did grow up more with the anime, and even then I didn't get to watch it that much. I had a few VHS tapes and a few games on the game boy, but that was about it. As for pokemon, I grew up with Nintendo, so pokemon games and the anime were WAY more available to me. With that said, I loved both series. I always wanted to get more into digimon, but it was hard especially since I was kinda poor. Digimon games were never really on the level of pokemon ones due to them releasing so many of different genres, there's never really been any consistency. I'm glad that they seem to be getting better, I'll definitely be picking up cyber sleuth on the switch next month. Lastly, I think with both digimon AND pokemon, most people in my generation had more exposure to the animes than the games due to easier access. Aside from their consistency, I think one of the major reasons pokemon games were way more successful was because they worked so well as portable games on the game boys, which were really popular amongst kids.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Not even lie I did grow up more with the anime, and even then I didn't get to watch it that much. I had a few VHS tapes and a few games on the game boy, but that was about it. As for pokemon, I grew up with Nintendo, so pokemon games and the anime were WAY more available to me. With that said, I loved both series. I always wanted to get more into digimon, but it was hard especially since I was kinda poor. Digimon games were never really on the level of pokemon ones due to them releasing so many of different genres, there's never really been any consistency. I'm glad that they seem to be getting better, I'll definitely be picking up cyber sleuth on the switch next month. Lastly, I think with both digimon AND pokemon, most people in my generation had more exposure to the animes than the games due to easier access. Aside from their consistency, I think one of the major reasons pokemon games were way more successful was because they worked so well as portable games on the game boys, which were really popular amongst kids.
With Pokemon, they had a successful formula for their games right from the start. The anime definitely was responsible for increasing the popularity of the games, but even without it, Red/Blue/Green were still seen as fun games. This gave Pokemon a very strong foundation to create sequels from, and to this day, even with the myriad Pokemon spin-offs out there, Pokemon is still known for its core formula: exploring a big world, catching Pokemon to add to your team, becoming the Champion, a turn-based battle system, and so on. Sadly, despite how beloved the World formula is to fans, it just didn't capture a wide audience the way Pokemon and other successful games did. That's why every subsequent non-anime game tried something different, but nothing really stuck as a core Digimon game series independent of the anime until the Story series, and even then, we wouldn't really get one that would come close to breaking into the mainstream until Cyber Sleuth.

Point is, I think you're exactly right thatDigimon games were never really super popular due to their lack of consistency. The Story series has finally found its niche, but it still lacks in both popularity and legacy compared to the third-parties we've got, like Persona, Street Fighter, Dragon Quest, and so on. Agumon still has a chance of course, but I do think this obstacle to Smash in Digimon's reputation is worth noting.

Last edited:

Digitamamon64

Smash Rookie

I actually got into Digimon through the virtual pets and the first game to come state side: Digimon World. So i've always viewed it as a video game series. I got into the anime years later. I absolutely love the V-pets and the V-pet style games. Very distinct; we'll never get another game that plays similarly to Digimon World. Next Order and Re Digitize were good, but not quite there imo.
I understand that I'm probably in the minority though. The anime's original intentions were to help sell copies of world 1, but then got super popular itself. But yea, Agumon is the only character left I'd lose my mind for.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
With Pokemon, they had a successful formula for their games right from the start. The anime definitely was responsible for increasing the popularity of the games, but even without it, Red/Blue/Green were still seen as fun games. This gave Pokemon a very strong foundation to create sequels from, and to this day, even with the myriad Pokemon spin-offs out there, Pokemon is still known for its core formula: exploring a big world, catching Pokemon to add to your team, becoming the Champion, a turn-based battle system, and so on. Sadly, despite how beloved the World formula is to fans, it just didn't capture a wide audience the way Pokemon and other successful games did. That's why every subsequent non-anime game tried something different, but nothing really stuck as a core Digimon game series independent of the anime until the Story series, and even then, we wouldn't really get one that would come close to breaking into the mainstream until Cyber Sleuth.

Point is, I think you're exactly right thatDigimon games were never really super popular due to their lack of consistency. The Story series has finally found its niche, but it still lacks in both popularity and legacy compared to the third-parties we've got, like Persona, Street Fighter, Dragon Quest, and so on. Agumon still has a chance of course, but I do think this obstacle to Smash in Digimon's reputation is worth noting.
You are right with that statement, I think the important question is what does Digimon add to gaming's history, since the Pokemon vs Digimon was more of a commercial rivalry. Maybe we should focus more on the origin of v-pets, since from it's sales it was possible for the brand to expand to home consoles, anime, etc.

We know the most popular brand that represents the virtual pet is Tamagotchi, but like Nintendogs (another virtual pet game that revived the genre after its decay), they don't fight or doesn't have tools to do so (like villager with all the object he can use), and that gives Agumon (and Digimon) an edge over these two, and it's part of his core design: A virtual pet that FIGHTS

Digimon was the first introducing that concept: combining the popular virtual pet with RPG mechanics, and thus, became a hit around childs and pre-teen boys and more, thanks to the increasing popularity of games based on monster battles (also giving credit to Pokemon, releasing the previous year in Japan, and made the concept popular)

Graizen

Smash Champion
You are right with that statement, I think the important question is what does Digimon add to gaming's history, since the Pokemon vs Digimon was more of a commercial rivalry. Maybe we should focus more on the origin of v-pets, since from it's sales it was possible for the brand to expand to home consoles, anime, etc.

We know the most popular brand that represents the virtual pet is Tamagotchi, but like Nintendogs (another virtual pet game that revived the genre after its decay), they don't fight or doesn't have tools to do so (like villager with all the object he can use), and that gives Agumon (and Digimon) an edge over these two, and it's part of his core design: A virtual pet that FIGHTS

Digimon was the first introducing that concept: combining the popular virtual pet with RPG mechanics, and thus, became a hit around childs and pre-teen boys and more, thanks to the increasing popularity of games based on monster battles (also giving credit to Pokemon, releasing the previous year in Japan, and made the concept popular)
And Sakurai created a MushiKing Tamagotchi in 2005, a V-Pet with Battles based on the Bandai Digimon ones.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/12/15/sakurai-works-on-mushi-king

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That mention of the top ten characters from each region, where Agumon was number 8 in the EU- does not seem to have been brought up here just yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That mention of the top ten characters from each region, where Agumon was number 8 in the EU- does not seem to have been brought up here just yet.
probably cause every time it comes up some where else some one immediately points out that it was not a well done poll

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm ****ing ecstatic. That being said, I'm dead-tired so I'll chat tomorrow. Replies are on my mind.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is not on PSN to buy anymore
And the Complete Edition will not be on PS4 or Xbox One

Just the Nintendo Switch and Steam

Graizen

Smash Champion
Something very funny
Look at this image
V-Jump is using "Road to Ultimate" as a name for the Digimon part of the magazine
Seriously now??

EE8W2O4VUAEaCEn.jpg

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
^

It's almost something but Ultimate is also just one of the various forms Digimon take so this could just be a big grasp to make the connection. But I'm always down for Digi reps for Smash. Always been a better franchise than Pokemon anyways.

Just seems the magazine is saying 'road to ultimate' as in the road to reach ultimate level.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
The first Digimon Rumble Arena was my jam, and it's what got me into the series. I've watched seasons 1-3 (with 3 being my favorite partially because of Renamon) and parts of season 4 way back when I was young.

Anyway, this should happen. I support. Agumon and his transformations are all cool (WarGreymon and Omnimon are my favourites).

Last edited:
Top Bottom