• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Huh, interesting. I've seen people saying that Pokemon is what would be holding Digimon back as they likely wouldn't want any sort of competition but this makes me think they're actually cool with each other since they're allowing what would be their major rival produce Pokemon merchandise. That, and Pokemon is way too succesful they wouldn't think of anyone else as a worthy rival. Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i started cyber sleuth and chose terriermon, not sure ill get to far before i end up focusing on lm3 and then s&s

Graizen

Smash Champion
My friend turb0k made an image showing the size of Agumon's evolutions in Smash Bros.
Do you agree?

silouette.png

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
My friend turb0k made an image showing the size of Agumon's evolutions in Smash Bros.
Do you agree?

View attachment 243867
At that size, MetalGreymon would probably be destroyed by the fast, combo heavy characters unless he had some insane super armor or some other crazy move to make up for it, which I think would be a bit too extreme even if he was a temporary transformation. I feel like in such a case, turning into MetalGreymon would either be an "instant win-button," or completely useless. The rest look fine though. WarGreymon could be a bit smaller I think, since he is a lot smaller than Greymon and MetalGreymon.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Agumon is 3 feet tall (2.25x taller than Pikachu), Greymon is 20 feet tall (3.58x taller than Charizard), MetalGreymon is 30 feet tall (2.31x taller than Ridley) and WarGreymon is 10 feet tall (1.33x taller than Ganondorf).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Agumon is 3 feet tall (2.25x taller than Pikachu), Greymon is 20 feet tall (3.58x taller than Charizard), MetalGreymon is 30 feet tall (2.31x taller than Ridley) and WarGreymon is 10 feet tall (1.33x taller than Ganondorf).
kirby is eight inches tall but is about the same as pikachu in smash, best not to get bogged down in size accuracy, just ask the ridley fans

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Digimon isn't consistent when it comes to size.
greymo.png

For reference, the human in the screenshot is a kid and sized like one.

Last edited:

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
This is the same game who had a huge whale Digimon that was actually obtainable and when you got one it was scaled all the way down. I think size really doesn't matter as they could give Greymon the same height as Bowser or WarGreymon (which I honestly would prefer more) the same as Ganondorf and they'd be good to go.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Of course I support the idea of Agumon for Smash! Also Turbok's size chart for Agumon and his digivolutions is really good and shows just how they should appear size-wise in Smash. Funny enough Digimon tend to be smaller in the video games than in the anime, which is fine since they fit easier. Still, I can only hope that one day Agumon does appear in Smash, and that Sakurai does a fantastic job handling the digivolution characteristic of him.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So Agumon has competition against Heiachi and KOSMOS, right? As far as Namco rep goes.
and Lloyd Irving (Tales of _ rep). Honestly any of the options are good. Digimon, Tekken, Xenosaga and Tale of... all have excellent character choices, honestly smash bros could do with adding a couple bandai Namco characters.

傑明洛

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately everyone has been pushing for Lloyd, but I think Agumon would be so much more unique and it would give Bandai a rep. If I had to pick another Namco rep it'd probably be Heihachi or Jin, since Tekken is such an iconic fighting series. But I'm still hoping Agumon gets the inclusion he deserves

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
I think the biggest thing holding back Lloyd is that he isn't a very appealing fighter nowadays due to him being an anime swordsman and we just got Hero so putting them both in the same Fighter Pass isn't the smartest idea. Really, you can't do much with swordfighters nowadays as we actually have 14 of them it makes it hard to stand out from them regardless.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I think the biggest thing holding back Lloyd is that he isn't a very appealing fighter nowadays due to him being an anime swordsman and we just got Hero so putting them both in the same Fighter Pass isn't the smartest idea. Really, you can't do much with swordfighters nowadays as we actually have 14 of them it makes it hard to stand out from them regardless.
The thing about Tales characters they wouldn’t be purely relying on swords and would be more attune to Hero but with Arts/Mystic Artes replacing spells. On the surface level I could see the issue but as an actual fighter, they would be quite different compared to all the other sword wielders. I’m still hoping that we miraculously get Velvet instead of Lloyd due to her being much more varied with blades on her boots and arm along with having a demonic arm that could add some unique melee animations and attacks.

I’m still hoping Digimon can pull through though. The odds are stacked against them with Tekken and Tales but routing for the underdog can be fun and is even more rewarding if they pull through!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What information did I give in the post?
well you pointed out the sizes the digimon and pokemon are supposed to be suggesting that, that should be reflected in smash and then i pointed out that size accuracy is not an issue for smash, so when you said we all missed the point about your previous post it made me think you meant something else entirely

now i think you missed the point of my post

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
The thing about Tales characters they wouldn’t be purely relying on swords and would be more attune to Hero but with Arts/Mystic Artes replacing spells. On the surface level I could see the issue but as an actual fighter, they would be quite different compared to all the other sword wielders. I’m still hoping that we miraculously get Velvet instead of Lloyd due to her being much more varied with blades on her boots and arm along with having a demonic arm that could add some unique melee animations and attacks.

I’m still hoping Digimon can pull through though. The odds are stacked against them with Tekken and Tales but routing for the underdog can be fun and is even more rewarding if they pull through!
Yeah, I've seen people talk about Velvet and I definitely agree she'd be much more unique and fun than Lloyd whereas the whole Arts thing seems like a combination of Shulk and Hero. Definitely rooting up with Velvet for the Tales rep. Plus there's still the chance Bamco might be open for a third representation so here's me hoping that happens. It's kind of ironic that all of Bamco's major contenders (Tales of, Tekken, Digimon and even KOS-MOS) all have their own things holding them back.

Graizen

Smash Champion

Arts/Mystic Artes are so generic for Lloyd that it makes no difference. My problem with him is that he uses just his swords 95% of the time. Some people say that "he have 2 swords!" or "he will use his swords in a different way!", but thats not the problem. The problem is that he uses swords.

It's like Heihachi, he just use his punches and kicks, people will say "he uses punches and kicks in a different way!" but that is not the problem! The problem is that he uses punches and kicks 100% of the time. He is like Ryu with no Hadouken.

Imagine that I put a karate fighter in Smash and then a Taekwondo fighter. People may even say that they fight differently, but in the general context they will use the same things! Basically there's no creativity in it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Arts/Mystic Artes are so generic for Lloyd that it makes no difference. My problem with him is that he uses just his swords 95% of the time. Some people say that "he have 2 swords!" or "he will use his swords in a different way!", but thats not the problem. The problem is that he uses swords.

It's like Heihachi, he just use his punches and kicks, people will say "he uses punches and kicks in a different way!" but that is not the problem! The problem is that he uses punches and kicks 100% of the time. He is like Ryu with no Hadouken.

Imagine that I put a karate fighter in Smash and then a Taekwondo fighter. People may even say that they fight differently, but in the general context they will use the same things! Basically there's no creativity in it.

ok but maybe we shouldnt start using that argument otherwise people will twist it back on us and say that agumon wouldnt be any different from bowser

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
^Even with that logic, it'd be such a major stretch for anyone to possibly (And unironically) conceive Agumon and Bowser would play even remotely similar.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Some news:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
thats kind of the point, the whole logic is faulty
The only allowance I give with the sword fighter argument is, granted, there are only so many ways one can swing a sword. And with all the sword users in game right now, we've pretty much got it all covered. So I'll admit I'd be surprised if they added another sword user and somehow made it 100% unique without borrowing from characters who have already borrowed from one another to some degree (With Cloud being the most unique of the bunch).

傑明洛

Smash Cadet

I see what you're saying and especially after Terry, we probably don't need another fighting game character. But I would still much rather have Heihachi/Jin over another anime swordfighter any day. When you really think about it, even if one of them was added that'd still only be like 3-4 fighting game characters in the roster compared to like 15 swordfighters. I'm just saying, although I think Agumon should get added as a Bandai rep, Tekken is Namco's next most well-known series so it would make since if Heihachi or Jin were added. Plus Smash x Street Fighter x Fatal Furry x Tekken would be pretty cool

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only allowance I give with the sword fighter argument is, granted, there are only so many ways one can swing a sword. And with all the sword users in game right now, we've pretty much got it all covered. So I'll admit I'd be surprised if they added another sword user and somehow made it 100% unique without borrowing from characters who have already borrowed from one another to some degree (With Cloud being the most unique of the bunch).
well there's still the reverse grip, dual wielding, that style where they keep it in the sheath, fencing and many others sakurai would still have plenty to pull from as well as making things up, thinking that a character wielding the same weapon as another automatically means theyll play the same doesnt really hold water, i play as a lot of the sword fighters and they dont really feel that similar, bar the links and marths, its just an asumption that doesnt really make any sense the way i say it

also why is it whenever we bring up NB franchises no one ever mentions soul calibur?

傑明洛

Smash Cadet
well there's still the reverse grip, dual wielding, that style where they keep it in the sheath, fencing and many others sakurai would still have plenty to pull from as well as making things up, thinking that a character wielding the same weapon as another automatically means theyll play the same doesnt really hold water, i play as a lot of the sword fighters and they dont really feel that similar, bar the links and marths, its just an asumption that doesnt really make any sense the way i say it

also why is it whenever we bring up NB franchises no one ever mentions soul calibur?
I've seen people mention Soul Calibur, especially when they're against having a Digimon rep...but it's because it's overshadowed by Tekken. Soul Calibur is well-known but it's not on Tekken's level, so I couldn't see a SC rep getting added to Smash atm

ryuu seika

Smash Master
^Even with that logic, it'd be such a major stretch for anyone to possibly (And unironically) conceive Agumon and Bowser would play even remotely similar.
They're both dinosuar-based and use claws and fire breath. That's basically Graizen's logic as to why Lloyd and Heihatchi shouldn't be in applied to Agumon.
Heihatchi is a boring fist fighter from a game with giant pandas, suicidal cyber samurai and devil people. It's not the fact that he's ultra-superficially similar to another fighter that matters. He just isn't as interesting as the rest of his game.

Speaking of SC, don't forget Nightmare, the real ultra-heavy swordsman. His reach is like no other Smash sword-user and his moves aren't especially slow but they are long. High commitment. Likely with super armour to allow the opponents to rack up damage with multiple small attacks if he misses.
Now he'd be a cool and unique swordsman.

sure unless you wanna use the individual incarnation thing that many use for link
Except that SC used the OoT Link, who was definitely the same person as Young Link.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
They're both dinosuar-based and use claws and fire breath. That's basically Graizen's logic as to why Lloyd and Heihatchi shouldn't be in applied to Agumon.
Heihatchi is a boring fist fighter from a game with giant pandas, suicidal cyber samurai and devil people. It's not the fact that he's ultra-superficially similar to another fighter that matters. He just isn't as interesting as the rest of his game.

Speaking of SC, don't forget Nightmare, the real ultra-heavy swordsman. His reach is like no other Smash sword-user and his moves aren't especially slow but they are long. High commitment. Likely with super armour to allow the opponents to rack up damage with multiple small attacks if he misses.
Bowser can't evolve 3 times. Evolutions like MetalGreymon and WarGreymon fight alot different than any other character in the game, but just the evolutions are VERY unique for a character.
No , Bowser presence in the game don't make Agumon a "Generic Lizard using fire".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Except that SC used the OoT Link, who was definitely the same person as Young Link.
well id prefer kilik

actually the link in soul calibur seems to be a unique incarnation, he may have the look of oot link but his back story borrows elements mostly from a alttp he doest really fit with any of them

Bowser can't evolve 3 times. Evolutions like MetalGreymon and WarGreymon fight alot different than any other character in the game, but just the evolutions are VERY unique for a character.
No , Bowser presence in the game don't make Agumon a "Generic Lizard using fire".
you see you cant but fight against it, thats the point it flawed logic, thinking any sword fighter would be just like any other sword fighter is like thinking agumon would play like the other three fire and claw users

Last edited:
Top Bottom