• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
I was sadly not able to watch Digimon Adventure when it came out in America, because I was busy the whole time. I've only seen one episode of Digimon Frontier on TV, but I was able to the first 20 or so episodes of Digimon Fusion on TV.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I was sadly not able to watch Digimon Adventure
Then I recommend you to see it on Japanese with English subtitles, in the dub they changed the dialogues adding unnecessary jokes and references, and also, the whole soundtrack was changed, including the opening song.
I'm sure there's some people that enjoy the English dub and I totally respect that, but for a first impression is much better to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, even if is just for the beautiful soundtrack.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Then I recommend you to see it on Japanese with English subtitles, in the dub they changed the dialogues adding unnecessary jokes and references, and also, the whole soundtrack was changed, including the opening song.
I'm sure there's some people that enjoy the English dub and I totally respect that, but for a first impression is much better to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, even if is just for the beautiful soundtrack.
youve been watching a very different version

Last edited:

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
I've seen Digimon Adventure, I've seen every season of Digimon and all the movies except two. I was just not able to see Digimon Adventure when it first aired in America back in August of 1999.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I think Agumon should be in Smash. Smash games need more dinosaur / reptile characters (Yoshi is a dinosaur, Ivysaur is kind of a dinosaur, but most fighters are humans or human-like). With the addition of Ridley and King K. Rool, this is starting to become a reality.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Digimon franchise has been represented within Smash, even in the form of items / stages / assist trophies.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Agumon should be in Smash. But so far, I don't think the Digimon franchise has been represented within Smash, even in the form of items / stages / assist trophies.
Digimon is one of the Namco-Bandai series to have absolutely zero mentions around Smash in any official capacity. Soul Calibur is also unmentioned among the most notable. Tales of and Tekken, other than Pac-Man, are the biggest ones of note. There's also various stuff like Dig Dug and the characters who have cameos as is. A lot of the Arcade stuff is in Smash in some way.

I was surprised Digimon got nothing, but it is possible some of the rights aren't just owned by Namco-Bandai, so it might be harder to throw in?

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think Agumon should be in Smash. Smash games need more dinosaur / reptile characters (Yoshi is a dinosaur, Ivysaur is kind of a dinosaur, but most fighters are humans or human-like). With the addition of Ridley and King K. Rool, this is starting to become a reality.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Digimon franchise has been represented within Smash, even in the form of items / stages / assist trophies.
Welcome my friend!

Digimon is one of the Namco-Bandai series to have absolutely zero mentions around Smash in any official capacity. Soul Calibur is also unmentioned among the most notable. Tales of and Tekken, other than Pac-Man, are the biggest ones of note. There's also various stuff like Dig Dug and the characters who have cameos as is. A lot of the Arcade stuff is in Smash in some way.

I was surprised Digimon got nothing, but it is possible some of the rights aren't just owned by Namco-Bandai, so it might be harder to throw in?
Hey , nice avatar! :love:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I believe that Namco Bandai fully owns the rights to all Digimon, and going to Toei is only needed if they want to have the Digidestined from the anime appear as Spirits.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I believe that Namco Bandai fully owns the rights to all Digimon, and going to Toei is only needed if they want to have the Digidestined from the anime appear as Spirits.
one of the reasons i doubt we'll have anime characters as cameos

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Considering BK's increased likelihood of being playable, them and Crono being revealed together might confirm that JSON leak as real.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive had a thought, ive talked about mii fighter hats based on certain digimon i pictured them as you know hats based on their heads but what if instead they where the whole mon, like you know how patamon would ride on t.k.'s head and how calumon was occasionally, seen riding on takato's, what if the mii fighter hats were like that?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Terriermon would be the ideal hat then. Or Gargomon for the Mii Gunner costume. That'd be sick hell yeah! Tamers reputation

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Terriermon would be the ideal hat then. Or Gargomon for the Mii Gunner costume. That'd be sick hell yeah! Tamers reputation
Nah, Gargomon would be too heavy and would weigh the Mii Gunner down too much.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, Gargomon would be too heavy and would weigh the Mii Gunner down too much.
Miis don't have unique weights anymore. Costumes don't change their weight at all. Gargomon wouldn't make a difference.

It also fits well as a Gunner costume. There's not a ton that make easy ones at this point. Beelzemon is another that fits the actual design of a gunarm/holding a gun style.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lets give it to Agumon. For all we know in 20 minutes or so that Sakurai could surprise us with him. I wish you all luck!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The DQ Hero actually got in. With it, the JSON leak is dead, and with it Agumon's chances are sadly now zero.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This... doesn't affect Agumon's chances at all. We have literally 2 more characters, and no Bamco characters. Nothing changed other than one leak dead.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This... doesn't affect Agumon's chances at all. We have literally 2 more characters, and no Bamco characters. Nothing changed other than one leak dead.
The JSON leak was literally the only thing Agumon had going for him. While a different SE character got in, so did Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not totally ruling out Reimu and Agumon being the last two DLC fighters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The JSON leak was literally the only thing Agumon had going for him. While a different SE character got in, so did Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not totally ruling out Reimu and Agumon being the last two DLC fighters.
Leaks have nothing to do with a character's chances inherently. The JSON leak was questionable from the start.

He always had a chance without a leak. Nothing changed beyond that he went from "kind of likely" to "not as likely as we thought".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ironically an imp pokemon was revealed halfway through my watching of tamer

im gonna be picturing it with the voice of impmon for a while

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Miis don't have unique weights anymore. Costumes don't change their weight at all. Gargomon wouldn't make a difference.

It also fits well as a Gunner costume. There's not a ton that make easy ones at this point. Beelzemon is another that fits the actual design of a gunarm/holding a gun style.
One word: NYOOOM!

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
You know, I was kinda so/so on Agumon since I do like the digimon games, but I was never big on the reptile himself. However, seeing the love put for Persona, DQ and Banjo, I am now full on aboard this train.

I love the mix of natural and artificial Digimon has, you can have cables and plugs thrown around in a forest and it still feels fitting, its a great aesthetic for a digital world.

Then there is the music! I would love to see some of my favorites in Smash.

Machinedramon Battle (DW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoiWPSt9yc0
Boss Battle (DW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn2LH1sGAks
Battle Theme (DW3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgreKpDgKtI
Gear Savanna Day and Night themes (DW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOTsLoDEGt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2T9Cx2ogbQ

And thinking it over, Agumon and Digimon, in general, is definitely in a good spot. So here is hope!

2lexqx8l7hm21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
You know, I was kinda so/so on Agumon since I do like the digimon games, but I was never big on the reptile himself. However, seeing the love put for Persona, DQ and Banjo, I am now full on aboard this train.

I love the mix of natural and artificial Digimon has, you can have cables and plugs thrown around in a forest and it still feels fitting, its a great aesthetic for a digital world.

Then there is the music! I would love to see some of my favorites in Smash.

Machinedramon Battle (DW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoiWPSt9yc0
Boss Battle (DW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn2LH1sGAks
Battle Theme (DW3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgreKpDgKtI
Gear Savanna Day and Night themes (DW1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOTsLoDEGt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2T9Cx2ogbQ

And thinking it over, Agumon and Digimon, in general, is definitely in a good spot. So here is hope!

Welcome, glad to have you supporting Agumon's inclusion in smash

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
With Banjo Kazooie's release I'd like to through my hat in for the support for Agumon/Greymon in smash.

I haven't played much in terms of Digimon games, I owned one of the tamogochi Digivices which was great fun as a kid. Other than that I do own one Digimon game, and I love it with all my heart. Digimon World on ps1 was an amazing game where I could raise my own Digimon. I never completed the game but I boot it up every now and then just to try to get a cool new Digimon.

Growing up with the Pokemon and Digimon anime where we'd argue at school which was better I'd be ecstatic to see Agumon in smash.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Add me to the list, after seeing Persona, Dragon Quest, and freaking Banjo Kazooie added in the Fighters Pass, I’m ultimately convinced that Nintendo is doing everything in their power to subvert our expectations in a good way.

It’s weird to say that Digimon legit has a good chance of getting a character in Smash assuming Sakurai considers virtual pets as video games.

And honestly, Agumon would be really fun.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
...assuming Sakurai considers virtual pets as video games...
He's known to be a big Vpet fan and he considers Mr. Game & Watch a video game character. I'd call it a safe bet.

Terriermon for a plushie that rides on the gunner, Gargomon for a gunner costume.
Veemon for a plushie that rides on the brawler, Flamedramon for a brawler costume.
Patamon for a plushie that rides on the swordsman, Angemon for a swordsman costume.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Gotta say, it's very weird and quite bizzare that Namco only has 1 character even though they're heavily involved in the game's development:
Konami, Capcom & technically Sega all have 3 reps.
Square now has 2 reps (or 5 if you count the hero's skin swaps).
Heck, we now have a Microsoft owned character in the game, a direct competitor to Nintendo.

Still unsure on whether i'd support directly or not (need some time), but i'd love to see Digimon content in the game, it would be monumental.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Coming onto a thread to declare your character is better is trolling. Don't do that.
guilmon is way better.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Even after being excited for both the characters getting announced, a couple things ran through my mind when it happened:

1. I thought I read from somewhere that trailers like that wouldn't be made anymore(?). It was because they costed a lot of money, so to make two more of those kinds of quality trailers threw me off. Hype, but confused too.

2. Digivolution is the main shtick Agumon will have if the monster was represented well in Smash, right? But would we basically agree that by design, it'd be another comeback-factor rewarding the digimon for getting damaged & hurt? Or would we agree on something different?

Here's what I would want.

If you're going to include Digivolution as the move that makes Agumon Agumon, then make it act differently this time. Instead of being used or applicable for losing or taking too much damage, make it revolve around needing it for rewarding a lead. This was actually talked about in that YT video about Digimon Survive, where when you defeat an enemy, your meter of digivolution was extended to last longer. The more inputs that hit successively, the greater the meter rises too.

Just a start. I still haven't made the video I said I would make, but if anything, I'd want Digivolution to work like that instead of the generic Aura carbon-copy mechanic that's become the norm now.

Top Bottom