• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

ErenJager

Smash Champion
His final Smash would be Greymon, Metalgreymon, Wargreymon... or maybe something more evil like Skullgreymon?
I think it should be Metalgeymon (virus), as it was his final digivolution in his original game.

Graizen

Smash Champion
People a Question:

Whats Assist Trophies do you think Digimon should get in the Game?

I personaly think that Gabumon is great for that!
Maybe Culumon from Digimon Tamers?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People a Question:

what would he do? hes not known for any powers bar digivolving

D

Deleted member

I think a Digviolution system is pretty much required for Agumon, similar to how it works in Digimon Rumble Arena 2, though with MetalGreymon instead of WarGreymon (since it reflects the original Digivice).

WarGreymon can be a brief Warp Digivolution for a Final Smash using Nova Force, not unlike Mega Mewtwo Y using Psystrike.

And I know what you're going to say.
"Isn't MetalGreymon huge?"

That may be true in the anime, but the games are wildly inconsistent about Digimon sizes. MetalGreymon is no exception.

Put me as a supporter, by the way.
Even if I like Greymon/MetalGreymon more, it wouldn't feel right to leave out Agumon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think a Digviolution system is pretty much required for Agumon, similar to how it works in Digimon Rumble Arena 2, though with MetalGreymon instead of WarGreymon (since it reflects the original Digivice).

WarGreymon can be a brief Warp Digivolution for a Final Smash using Nova Force, not unlike Mega Mewtwo Y using Psystrike.

That may be true in the anime, but the games are wildly inconsistent about Digimon sizes. MetalGreymon is no exception.

Put me as a supporter, by the way.
Even if I like Greymon/MetalGreymon more, it wouldn't feel right to leave out Agumon.
Welcome Mister Golden!
Thank you for your Support!

Actualy i think they might base Agumon alot from his Rumble Arena 2 moveset.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
... is there even a point in having Agumon if he isn't going to feature specific-Digivolving strategy at the core of his gameplay?

put me on the support list btw, I've wanted to beat Pikachu as Agumon from the beginning.

(Well, Gabumon... but I'm realistic).

Graizen

Smash Champion
... is there even a point in having Agumon if he isn't going to feature specific-Digivolving strategy at the core of his gameplay?

put me on the support list btw, I've wanted to beat Pikachu as Agumon from the beginning.

(Well, Gabumon... but I'm realistic).
Welcome Duke!

I think he might get some evolutions , but not for all his Moves!
Maybe something like Cloud or Little Mac? He needs to charge a Energy Bar to Digivolve?

In Digimon Rumble Arena 2 the Digimon need to charge a energy bar to evolve!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Welcome Duke!

I think he might get some evolutions , but not for all his Moves!
Maybe something like Cloud or Little Mac? He needs to charge a Energy Bar to Digivolve?

In Digimon Rumble Arena 2 the Digimon need to charge a energy bar to evolve!
I'm not a fan of comparing a new core of gameplay for a potential newcomer, to a mechanic that already exists in the game.
It makes it seem less feasible to me, less unique.

If Agumon cannot digivolve and de-digivolve multiple times, there is no reason for him to be in the game. I want him to bring the unique elements of his world, not generic ideas that could be applied to other franchise.

D

Deleted member

So instead of an energy meter, you want just a generic transformation feature that switches between forms at will, which is not at all what Digivolution is supposed to be and brings back the same exact problem that characters like Zelda and Pokémon Trainer had.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I'm not a fan of comparing a new core of gameplay for a potential newcomer, to a mechanic that already exists in the game.
It makes it seem less feasible to me, less unique.

If Agumon cannot digivolve and de-digivolve multiple times, there is no reason for him to be in the game. I want him to bring the unique elements of his world, not generic ideas that could be applied to other franchise.
I understand your point of view! Really thinking that way we can expect a different mechanics for him!

Eren further back in the topic commented on the MetalGreymon Virus, which was the first official Agumon Evolution! Do you think he can follow this, and rely even more on Virtual pets?

So instead of an energy meter, you want just a generic transformation feature that switches between forms at will, which is not at all what Digivolution is supposed to be and brings back the same exact problem that characters like Zelda and Pokémon Trainer had.
Yes as I said above I really believe that a new mechanic would look cool on him! But would you have any ideas about that?

D

Deleted member

Yes as I said above I really believe that a new mechanic would look cool on him! But would you have any ideas about that?
I'm basically for the meter idea.
But not have it tied to a Special Move.

The more he fights, the more the meter builds up.
When the meter is full, the Digivolution can be triggered by a button prompt not normally used in game-play.
If he gets KO'd while Digivolved too many times, he automatically De-Digivolves to the previous form and has to build the meter again. Unlike with Rumble Arena 2, meter does NOT increase when KO'd. Rather, it depletes back to the beginning.

There is no meter for MetalGreymon.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Just a Note:

Tried to post my Agumon Trophy on Smash Reddit, they downvoted it , they made fun of it, fun of Agumon (Compared him to Charmander) and treated my art like it as nothing.

My god.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I had a black D3 digivice as a kid...

My brothers stole it and sold it from my storaged childhood items.

Quick amazon search.... its like over $300.

Damn. I guess that's why they stole it.

As for Assists trophies...

Pixel version of Vademon as he appeared in Digimon II (hand held digital pet)
I think he shot a laser idk.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I had a black D3 digivice as a kid...

My brothers stole it and sold it from my storaged childhood items.

Quick amazon search.... its like over $300.

Damn. I guess that's why they stole it.
Hey Eren , what other elements from the Virtual Pets do you think they could put in Smash?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hey Eren , what other elements from the Virtual Pets do you think they could put in Smash?
Well didn't the devices like count your footsteps?
I remember shaking it like crazy back in the day.

I don't know how you could work that element into the gameplay.

LOL... shaking the controller for quicker power ups or something.

Assist Trophies...

Either Etemon or Vademon as they originally appeared...

If you want some mechanics... Idk consider elements from the device...

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Here to help you guys, 2 vídeos of Agumon on Rumble Arena 1 and 2!
We can analyse it:

Rumble Arena 1:

Rumble Arena 2:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Calumon would be excellent as an item in the rumble series (touch him before he dissappears for a free digivolution) but I don't see what his SSB effect would be, since he can't digivolve Marth, for example.

Personally, I would like to see the chips from Xross Wars be featured like a more limited pokeball for digimon.

Size is irrelevant in Smash since it's not the characters fighting, it's figures of them.
Even Ridley isn't too big, he's just too lanky to not look painfully fragile when scaled down.

He's still a unique and iconic fighter without it and I don't, personally, believe that newcomers should rely on gimmicks even as much as they did in Smash 4. If there's a way to work Digivolution into gameplay naturally, I would be ok with that but, outside of a transformation final smash, I don't see it.

In 2 out of three of his own fighting games, he has had only one evolution that has been used similarly to a super. The only difference in the FS implimentation would be that the limited time transformation would require an external item. Not unlike the orbs in RA2, though, I guess.

EDIT: I had a look for your reddit post, Graizen, but all I could find was a conspiracy theory of ROB = Ancient Wisemon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Size is irrelevant in Smash since it's not the characters fighting, it's figures of them.
Even Ridley isn't too big, he's just too lanky to not look painfully fragile when scaled down.
Size matters when comparing things to their own franchise.
With Pokémon being the only MAJOR anamoly due to the decreased gap between someone like Pikachu and someone like Charizard.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Calumon would be excellent as an item in the rumble series (touch him before he dissappears for a free digivolution) but I don't see what his SSB effect would be, since he can't digivolve Marth, for example.

Personally, I would like to see the chips from Xross Wars be featured like a more limited pokeball for digimon.

He's still a unique and iconic fighter without it and I don't, personally, believe that newcomers should rely on gimmicks even as much as they did in Smash 4. If there's a way to work Digivolution into gameplay naturally, I would be ok with that but, outside of a transformation final smash, I don't see it.

In 2 out of three of his own fighting games, he has had only one evolution that has been used similarly to a super. The only difference in the FS implimentation would be that the limited time transformation would require an external item. Not unlike the orbs in RA2, though, I guess.

EDIT: I had a look for your reddit post, Graizen, but all I could find was a conspiracy theory of ROB = Ancient Wisemon.
Here the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...e_a_trophy_for_one_of_the_characters_id_like/

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well that wasn't as much of a pile on as I'd expected but it was unnecessarily harsh all the same and quite misinformed in places.

His final Smash would be Greymon, Metalgreymon, Wargreymon... or maybe something more evil like Skullgreymon?
Agumon -> Greymon -> Metal Greymon (Orange) -> War Greymon would be mandatory as the main line, IMO, whether we use all four or just some of them.
Black Agumon -> Black Greymon -> Skull Greymon -> Black Wargreymon should be an alt.
Maybe stick viral Metal in the Snow line?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's be realistic here.
Skull cannot function as an alt for Metal. The designs are drastically different as are how they fight.

In the palette set that references BlackAgumon, MetalGreymon (Virus) would have to be the one used.
The most the lines can do is reference other Digimon, not actually be other Digimon (not counting the Black line).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

What makes newcomers unique is WHAT they bring to the table. Each of them has a personality and all that bull****. It is the gameplay that makes them a unique character... so I really don't understand your point.

If Agumon is only digivolving once, he is not staying true to his character. It seems more like the other games did not actually utilize his abilities, and I find that upsetting. There is no reason for Smash to follow that same failure.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
really when it comes to digivolution there is no set rule on how they work in the digimon franchise.

in the anime Agumon and co can temporarily digivolve up 1 level at a time, or "warp digivolve" temporarily to their mega level. and they'd turn back as soon as they were done fighting.
in season 3 they didn't always turn back after fighting and would sometimes need to wait for the digivolution to just "wear off"

in the original vPets digivolution was permanent but also wasn't linear. Agumon could become Greymon, or Numemon, or Tyranomon or other digimon. who could then become multiple other potential digimon. and after they digivovled there was no way to turn them back. (except in some of the later vPets where they added a de-digivolution item.

in the video games. in the fighting games digivolution is a temporary super form. in the "world" series digivolution works like in the vPets. and then in the "Story" series you can digivolve and de-digivolve them at will into multiple potential forms as long as the requirements were fulfilled.

so as long as "Digivolving" is somewhere in Agumon's abilities. it's still "true to the character"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's be realistic here.
Skull cannot function as an alt for Metal. The designs are drastically different as are how they fight.

In the palette set that references BlackAgumon, MetalGreymon (Virus) would have to be the one used.
The most the lines can do is reference other Digimon, not actually be other Digimon (not counting the Black line).
Though at least the ToyAgumon(as well as ClearAgumon and BlackToyAgumon costumes work fine, as it's pretty much the same shape. Though it may depend how the claw attacks are handled. It might look weird, but the same movements can be done. On the other hand, any tail attacks might actually be an issue due to the overall designs).

Graizen

Smash Champion
Though at least the ToyAgumon(as well as ClearAgumon and BlackToyAgumon costumes work fine, as it's pretty much the same shape. Though it may depend how the claw attacks are handled. It might look weird, but the same movements can be done. On the other hand, any tail attacks might actually be an issue due to the overall designs).
I've never seen any kind of Agumon using any attack using its tail, I believe only Greymon has one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've never seen any kind of Agumon using any attack using its tail, I believe only Greymon has one.
However, for Smash, you have a lot of moves to fill out. It makes some sense for things like air attacks or tilts. But that's a fair point.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Yeah, the digivolution mechanic being considered mandatory to the characters inclusion is a bit silly.

In his original appearance (vPet), digivolving was permanent. He was battle ready at the Rookie stage and could battle your friends... it wasn't a mechanic to digivolve in battles... This holds true to even modern Digimon games like cyber sleuth.

I don't really think the anime should be considered, but yeah in the anime it was basically a temporary power up for difficult/ strong battles... which could be represented with a Final Smash.

The only time digivolving has been like a game mechanic is like battle royal, which isn't even a core series game.

Digivolving back and fourth isn't really core digimon gameplay. It would be like saying if you wanted pikachu playable, he would need to be able to evolve.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Asking your Opinions:

Do you think Agumon would have less chances becouse Charizard is in the game?
People on Reddit said he is just like Charmander.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Here it is , my Dream Roster:
What you guys think?

Personally, lots of things I enjoy. Im happy you have Pokemon Trainer, made Fire Emblem less redundant, and kept characters like Wii Fit Trainer who add a lot of unique elements.
I do not understand the placement of Hades and Rex. Spacially it bothers me even more than the corrupt roster selection screens we had in Sma4h.
I'm a bit turned off by Geno and Waluigi, considering Toad is not in the game. I just... will never understand that logic.

Lot's of third party love, though. And While I would never pic Crono or Doom Guy, they would not upset me much. Crono would just feel like a missed opportunity for Sora love, instead.

Digivolving back and fourth isn't really core digimon gameplay. It would be like saying if you wanted pikachu playable, he would need to be able to evolve.
I know this is not entirely your point, but that is quite possibly the worst example you could have given. Pikachu specifically is known as the mascot and not evolving.
The value of evolution in the Pokemon series is actually something the Smash Roster really lacks- it is a fundamental point of the games and has no representation in Smash as of the current roster.

I think it is important for characters to bring a sense of their worlds to the games- meaning, with them comes the mechanics and unique gameplay ideas from their games. Without this, the characters start to feel less original and less specific. One of my biggest complaints with the current Smash roster is that Pokemon's gameplay elements go completely ignored, since we lost the Trainer, who emphasized evolution, type advantages, and team strategy in battle.

In other words, what is most interesting about the world of Digimon, and how can that be brought into Smash Bros? I think the easy answer is the digivolving.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The value of evolution in the Pokemon series is actually something the Smash Roster really lacks- it is a fundamental point of the games and has no representation in Smash as of the current roster.

I think it is important for characters to bring a sense of their worlds to the games- meaning, with them comes the mechanics and unique gameplay ideas from their games. Without this, the characters start to feel less original and less specific. One of my biggest complaints with the current Smash roster is that Pokemon's gameplay elements go completely ignored, since we lost the Trainer, who emphasized evolution, type advantages, and team strategy in battle.

In other words, what is most interesting about the world of Digimon, and how can that be brought into Smash Bros? I think the easy answer is the digivolving.
Personally, I feel like games 4 and 5 were forgetting what it meant to be a Smash character with their 3rd parties. Megaman defied the standard construction of a moveset, Bayonetta completely changed core gameplay elements and Ryu went against the very principles of the game.

Porting a character to Smash (or any game) should result in them being as much their own character within its framework as possible, yes, but it should not feel like your playing Streetfighter against the Tekken cast, to use Akuma's ridiculous, no changes made port as an example.

Plus, as you yourself have pointed out, evolution isn't even a mechanic unique to digimon.

Do you think Agumon would have less chances becouse Charizard is in the game?
People on Reddit said he is just like Charmander.
Wasn't Charizard quite similar to Bowser? Megaman to Samus?
And what about all the clones we've got?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Personally, lots of things I enjoy. Im happy you have Pokemon Trainer, made Fire Emblem less redundant, and kept characters like Wii Fit Trainer who add a lot of unique elements.
I do not understand the placement of Hades and Rex. Spacially it bothers me even more than the corrupt roster selection screens we had in Sma4h.
I'm a bit turned off by Geno and Waluigi, considering Toad is not in the game. I just... will never understand that logic.

Lot's of third party love, though. And While I would never pic Crono or Doom Guy, they would not upset me much. Crono would just feel like a missed opportunity for Sora love, instead.

I know this is not entirely your point, but that is quite possibly the worst example you could have given. Pikachu specifically is known as the mascot and not evolving.

Well, i'm sure including features from the vPet could be worked into a gimmcky mechanic to make the character feel unique.
It doesn't really require Digivolving to be that mechanic to be unique.

Digivolving is comparable to mega evolution, and could be handled similarly.
Since digivoling is tiered however and sometimes non-linear;

Just quickly off the top of my head, if Agumon had an energy bar or something else (maybe happiness or treatment gage, like in the vPet), and maybe the amount of energy resulted in a different level of digivolution for his final smash. If a treatment gage was used maybe you could have a dark digivolution. Granted this would mean more then one final smash, but Ryu also had more then one.

What i'm trying to say, there's a way to include digivolution.
It doesn't require Agumon's game play mechanics to be driven by it.
Other options exist for unique game play mechanics.

--EDIT--

Here’s my attempt at making a unique game play mechanic for Agumon based off the features that existed in the virtual pet handhelds.

I thought of what is the core of these games? Simple, to care for a virtual/ digital pet.

I figured this could transition over to Smash by having to aid Agumon in battle as you played. Agumon could have various bars/ meters/ gages whatever you want to call them. The better you are at giving him food and vitamins will allow him to become stronger and therefor hit harder (maybe instead of a single fire ball you shoot a double, like in the vPet). Depending on how well you manage your Hunger and Strength bars would result in an added bonus of being able to bandage or heal him for a little bit of % damage every so often.

Beyond that; you could include a high or low guard function on Agumon, requiring opponents to hit you were you are least guarded to do the most effective amount of damage against you.

^ I'm actually rather impressed with those mechanic ideas.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Its funny when Agumon is about as strong as Charmnader, maybe somewhere in between that and Charmelecon and then Greymon is like notably above Mega Charizard(s) in power.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Its funny when Agumon is about as strong as Charmnader, maybe somewhere in between that and Charmelecon and then Greymon is like notably above Mega Charizard(s) in power.
You know what? Not all Greymons are like that! And i can prove it to you!

In the Digimon Next Manga, two different Greymons face each other, and the difference in Power and Size is BIG!

I realy don't think this can be aplied to every Champion, Ultimate or Mega level Digimon.
Some Pokémon are realy f***** strong man.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Agumon is the only one I'd be able to control without a Final Smash, then sorry, I don't want him.

What draws me to Agumon is the idea of becoming Greymon and then MetalGreymon through battle as means of reward.
If that isn't possible, then I'd just rather have Greymon solo with a MetalGreymon Final Smash.

Having Agumon vs. Pikachu matches honestly means less to me than having Greymon vs. Charizard matches, since both were among my favorites for their series growing up.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok, new idea: Since digivolution is typically in the face of adversity in the show, what if he got a digivolution every 100% as a replacement for rage?
Obviously the FS would still take him all the way to War Greymon.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Made Agumon using a Smash Ball!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Top Bottom