• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Twilord

Smash Ace
Machinedramon is a common final evolution for Tyranomon; Greymon's old-school rival and the first Digimon ever designed so personally I'd go with Galleom...

For colours I'd expect:

Agumon
Snow Agumon
Black Agumon
Greyscale (LED) Agumon
Agumon X Antibody Pattern
Agumon X-Antibody Pattern but red (for Tyrannomon)
ToyAgumon Pattern (just patches of different colour)
Agumon 2006

(Weirdly that almost invites comparison to Yoshi...)

Also I made a thing...

Last edited:
I hope we're finally gonna get some more Digimon Survive news this E3. We were supposed to hear something this spring so I'm guessing they just held off until E3 since it was close enough, either that or (god forbid) another delay.

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
Digimon was one of the anime franchises that I grew up watching, at least for the first two seasons. I would love to see Agumon - or my personal preference V-Mon - get in to represent the Pokémon vs. Digimon rivalry back in the day. Plus the first season of Digimon Adventures - at least the Japanese original - is pretty good. If it was possible, I would love to see "Brave Heart" as a song get in should we somehow be graced with Agumon as one of the last two downloadable characters.

We will see if Digimon Survive shows up at E3.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Digimon was one of the anime franchises that I grew up watching, at least for the first two seasons. I would love to see Agumon - or my personal preference V-Mon - get in to represent the Pokémon vs. Digimon rivalry back in the day. Plus the first season of Digimon Adventures - at least the Japanese original - is pretty good. If it was possible, I would love to see "Brave Heart" as a song get in should we somehow be graced with Agumon as one of the last two downloadable characters.

We will see if Digimon Survive shows up at E3.
veemon is ineligible

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
veemon is ineligible
Lucario got in as a playable character despite Lucario and the Mystery of Mew coming out four months before its debut in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team (archive) over a year before Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. If premiering in a movie before a game disqualifies even those in franchises that originated in a game, Lucario would never be playable. V-Mon made his video game debut even quicker (archive), just two months after he became the partner of Daisuke Motomiya in Digimon Adventures 02.

V-Mon is eligible.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Lucario got in as a playable character despite Lucario and the Mystery of Mew coming out four months before its debut in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team (archive) over a year before Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. If premiering in a movie before a game disqualifies even those in franchises that originated in a game, Lucario would never be playable. V-Mon made his video game debut even quicker (archive), just two months after he became the partner of Daisuke Motomiya in Digimon Adventures 02.

V-Mon is eligible.
not even close to the same thing. pokemon is first party and would have far less licensing issues especially considering that they still own all the rights to pokemon even the anime where as toei owns part of the licence to the digimon anime. also lucario may have debuted in the anime but he was made for the games and veemon was made for the anime. also game freak and TPC have a certain degree of say on which pokemon gets added which we have no reason to believe sakurai would allow the same say to namco bandai. the two scenarios are very different and you cant expect the same to work for both of them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The fact that Digimon is a video game franchise makes them the exact same situation.

FYI, Pokemon was never actually 1st party. It's owned by two Third Party Companies and one First Party Company. Creatures and Gamefreak, and then Nintendo. The first two are not owned by Nintendo. It's nicknamed Second Party, but all the Pokemon are actually by design a third party exclusive on Nintendo systems. So it's not really a strong argument cause Nintendo can't just throw in a Pokemon on their own. They need permission from other IP holders. (Worth noting I forget if Creatures is third party. But it still doesn't change that Pokemon in itself is not legitimately a first party franchise).

V-Mon's origin doesn't matter in this case. It's 100% from a video game franchise and that's what actually matters in Smash. Now, what is notable is that due to debuting in the anime, Toei may hold some rights to it. On the other hand, Bandai-Namco holds the rest. The other thing is that the biggest characters in Digimon are Agumon, Greymon, Omnimon, and Renamon by far. V-Mon is notable, but it's one of the lesser protagonist Digimon that just doesn't hold a candle at all. It doesn't appear even nearly as much, either. Mostly crossover movies, but when a game calls for very specific Digimon, it's ignored. Of course, 02 games will haveit, but that's a given by design.

V-Mon is identical to Lucario's situation here. Both from third party video game franchises, both debuting outside of a video game, but obviously meant to advertise the games as a whole as per normal. Merchandise-driven, etc. Hell, Digimon intentionally shows the names onscreen in every series to drive home to buy the product. A lot of series like Power Rangers didn't even do that(the only one that did was the MMPR revision season, and it wasn't a good revision either).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The fact that Digimon is a video game franchise makes them the exact same situation.

FYI, Pokemon was never actually 1st party. It's owned by two Third Party Companies and one First Party Company. Creatures and Gamefreak, and then Nintendo. The first two are not owned by Nintendo. It's nicknamed Second Party, but all the Pokemon are actually by design a third party exclusive on Nintendo systems. So it's not really a strong argument cause Nintendo can't just throw in a Pokemon on their own. They need permission from other IP holders. (Worth noting I forget if Creatures is third party. But it still doesn't change that Pokemon in itself is not legitimately a first party franchise).

V-Mon's origin doesn't matter in this case. It's 100% from a video game franchise and that's what actually matters in Smash. Now, what is notable is that due to debuting in the anime, Toei may hold some rights to it. On the other hand, Bandai-Namco holds the rest. The other thing is that the biggest characters in Digimon are Agumon, Greymon, Omnimon, and Renamon by far. V-Mon is notable, but it's one of the lesser protagonist Digimon that just doesn't hold a candle at all. It doesn't appear even nearly as much, either. Mostly crossover movies, but when a game calls for very specific Digimon, it's ignored. Of course, 02 games will haveit, but that's a given by design.

V-Mon is identical to Lucario's situation here. Both from third party video game franchises, both debuting outside of a video game, but obviously meant to advertise the games as a whole as per normal. Merchandise-driven, etc. Hell, Digimon intentionally shows the names onscreen in every series to drive home to buy the product. A lot of series like Power Rangers didn't even do that(the only one that did was the MMPR revision season, and it wasn't a good revision either).
Well second party is a made up term for franchises in that odd situation. But surely being owned by Nintendo is what makes it 1st party? Cause in smash 1st party means Nintendo and 3rd party is everybody else. Pokemon is 1st party according to Nintendo and even sakurai. I guess that means you consider Kirby and fire emblem 3rd party as well

Lucario and veemon are not the same. One is character who debuted in an anime but made for video games the other debuted in an anime and was made for an anime. The line between anime and video games is far more blurred for digimon than it is for Pokemon. You cannot expect sakurai to treat digimon the same way he treats Pokemon. Pokemon is a Nintendo series digimon is not.

also since when is renamon on the same level as agumon?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well second party is a made up term for franchises in that odd situation. But surely being owned by Nintendo is what makes it 1st party? Cause in smash 1st party means Nintendo and 3rd party is everybody else. Pokemon is 1st party according to Nintendo and even sakurai. I guess that means you consider Kirby and fire emblem 3rd party as well

Lucario and veemon are not the same. One is character who debuted in an anime but made for video games the other debuted in an anime and was made for an anime. The line between anime and video games is far more blurred for digimon than it is for Pokemon. You cannot expect sakurai to treat digimon the same way he treats Pokemon. Pokemon is a Nintendo series digimon is not.

also since when is renamon on the same level as agumon?
No, being 1st party means you and only you own something.

3rd party means that it has ownership from someone else. 2nd party is the made-up term for when you don't directly own an IP but part of it. It's still 3rd party by design anyway since Nintendo doesn't fully own the IP. The core agreement is for it to be Nintendo exclusive console-wise. Mobile games aren't treated as a console, though considering the lack of PC ports, they might recognize that as a console.

...V-Mon was made for the games overall(like all Anime Digimon are), what are you talking about? There is no blur. Digimon is a Video Game franchise that has a popular Manga and Anime. The Anime Digimon were all made to help advertise the games and merchandise. Only the Manga was ever allowed to make unique characters(specifically Digimon. The Tamers/Humans tend to be non-game original and are kept that way outside of special adaptions. Not really different from what Pokemon does either, or pretty much any anime/cartoon/movie adaption of a game) who don't have to show up in games, at best. The anime are advertisements through and through. There's really no difference in the long run. The biggest thing is Gamefreak is in charge of the anime, and they're the Pokemon creators, where Toei is in charge of the anime, compared to Bandai-Namco. It doesn't mean they have any power in making new Digimon overall. They have to be for the games, otherwise it wouldn't allow the game franchise to remotely do well. And while the game franchise has issues with quality, it's still a big deal to Bandai-Namco for obvious reasons. Also, the anime was literally made to help the games sell anyway. ...Just like Pokemon.

Quite a bit, actually. Renamon is the only Digimon other than Greymon that is highly popular and shows up in tons of other games among the core protagonist characters. She's treated like Tamer's mascot(that's supposed to be Guilmon, but like Morrigan Aensland, massively broke out). She's the only Rookie on par with Agumon as is in popularity. Greymon and Omnimon are the other big guns among all of Digmon, that Bandai-Namco treats quite well. Renamon's usage however doesn't try to treat her like a mascot either. That's on the fans, who see her on the same level as the other three. So it's a fandom thing. It's why when people talk about potential Smash characters, Renamon and Agumon are the two most brought up.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, being 1st party means you and only you own something.

3rd party means that it has ownership from someone else. 2nd party is the made-up term for when you don't directly own an IP but part of it. It's still 3rd party by design anyway since Nintendo doesn't fully own the IP. The core agreement is for it to be Nintendo exclusive console-wise. Mobile games aren't treated as a console, though considering the lack of PC ports, they might recognize that as a console.

...V-Mon was made for the games overall(like all Anime Digimon are), what are you talking about? There is no blur. Digimon is a Video Game franchise that has a popular Manga and Anime. The Anime Digimon were all made to help advertise the games and merchandise. Only the Manga was ever allowed to make unique characters(specifically Digimon. The Tamers/Humans tend to be non-game original and are kept that way outside of special adaptions. Not really different from what Pokemon does either, or pretty much any anime/cartoon/movie adaption of a game) who don't have to show up in games, at best. The anime are advertisements through and through. There's really no difference in the long run. The biggest thing is Gamefreak is in charge of the anime, and they're the Pokemon creators, where Toei is in charge of the anime, compared to Bandai-Namco. It doesn't mean they have any power in making new Digimon overall. They have to be for the games, otherwise it wouldn't allow the game franchise to remotely do well. And while the game franchise has issues with quality, it's still a big deal to Bandai-Namco for obvious reasons. Also, the anime was literally made to help the games sell anyway. ...Just like Pokemon.

Quite a bit, actually. Renamon is the only Digimon other than Greymon that is highly popular and shows up in tons of other games among the core protagonist characters. She's treated like Tamer's mascot(that's supposed to be Guilmon, but like Morrigan Aensland, massively broke out). She's the only Rookie on par with Agumon as is in popularity. Greymon and Omnimon are the other big guns among all of Digmon, that Bandai-Namco treats quite well. Renamon's usage however doesn't try to treat her like a mascot either. That's on the fans, who see her on the same level as the other three. So it's a fandom thing. It's why when people talk about potential Smash characters, Renamon and Agumon are the two most brought up.
right so what you’re saying is more than half of Nintendo’s franchises are actually 3rd party? Everything from Kirby to Dragalia lost? Even smash itself?

no that’s not how it works at all. Toei creates their own original digimon all the time. There’s interviews and the like of the anime writers talking about coming up with the digimon in their series. But with Pokemon it’s a team within game Freak who are constantly making new Pokemon whom the anime writers get stuff from. NB may constantly make new digimon as well but that does not mean they were all made by them and certainly doesn’t mean that they were all made for the games

well that’s bogus cause from everything I’ve seen renamon is not nearly marketed as much as agumon and even gabumon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
right so what you’re saying is more than half of Nintendo’s franchises are actually 3rd party? Everything from Kirby to Dragalia lost? Even smash itself?

no that’s not how it works at all. Toei creates their own original digimon all the time. There’s interviews and the like of the anime writers talking about coming up with the digimon in their series. But with Pokemon it’s a team within game Freak who are constantly making new Pokemon whom the anime writers get stuff from. NB may constantly make new digimon as well but that does not mean they were all made by them and certainly doesn’t mean that they were all made for the games

well that’s bogus cause from everything I’ve seen renamon is not nearly marketed as much as agumon and even gabumon
I didn't say Renamon was the mascot. I said the fans view her as big as Agumon and Greymon are. It doesn't change she shows up a lot too. You're confusing marketing with how much she's used. They're different things. She doesn't have to be marketed to be massively used. Remember, I did say non-adaptions of games. She shows up in a lot of stuff, like the Digimon Story games, including Cyber Sleuth. In both cases, she's a playable Digimon and an important character. Guilmon nor Terriermon are used to the remotely same degree. They never stood out the same way.

My bad on the Toei thing(though could you provide a source, please?), but it doesn't change that they're still a game franchise character either way. V-Mon has no chance of getting over the 4 top Digimon either way, but that's really the big weakness of the character. Licensing is unlikely to make a difference anyway, as Warp Evolution as a concept is not from the games either, and that's already been brought into the games. The stuff from the anime is pretty much as important as the games are. If there's licensing issues, it'll be because of music options at best. Everything thing else is basically game content as far as Smash's requirement for playable is concerned.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I didn't say Renamon was the mascot. I said the fans view her as big as Agumon and Greymon are. It doesn't change she shows up a lot too. You're confusing marketing with how much she's used. They're different things. She doesn't have to be marketed to be massively used. Remember, I did say non-adaptions of games. She shows up in a lot of stuff, like the Digimon Story games, including Cyber Sleuth. In both cases, she's a playable Digimon and an important character. Guilmon nor Terriermon are used to the remotely same degree. They never stood out the same way.

My bad on the Toei thing(though could you provide a source, please?), but it doesn't change that they're still a game franchise character either way. V-Mon has no chance of getting over the 4 top Digimon either way, but that's really the big weakness of the character. Licensing is unlikely to make a difference anyway, as Warp Evolution as a concept is not from the games either, and that's already been brought into the games. The stuff from the anime is pretty much as important as the games are. If there's licensing issues, it'll be because of music options at best. Everything thing else is basically game content as far as Smash's requirement for playable is concerned.
oh to the fans, yeah there is a lot of renamon stuff by the fans. most of which i try and block out i have got to leave deviantart.

heres a link to the main writer of tamers notes for making the series http://www.konaka.com/alice6/tamers/plan-e.html

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
Any chance of hearing about Digimon Survive at E3 tomorrow? I assume if we hear anything, it will be tomorrow.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Any chance of hearing about Digimon Survive at E3 tomorrow? I assume if we hear anything, it will be tomorrow.
If not a new trailer in Nintendo's direct, then in the game reel near the end of it. Though it might be saved for Bamco's presentation.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
If not a new trailer in Nintendo's direct, then in the game reel near the end of it. Though it might be saved for Bamco's presentation.
So that's our best bet then. Lowkey want to see a trailer just to be assured it has not been canned yet.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So that's our best bet then. Lowkey want to see a trailer just to be assured it has not been canned yet.
Sorry, nevermind about Bamco, It's only possible on Nintendo's e3 Direct:

Last edited:

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
Sorry, nevermind about Bamco, It's only possible on Nintendo's e3 Direct:

So forty minutes to find out if Digimon Survive is not potentially vaporware. Let's hope that it shows up.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So forty minutes to find out if Digimon Survive is not potentially vaporware. Let's hope that it shows up.
Or a sudden appearance at the Treehouse, since they rarely cover games not in the direct (the new 2D metroid game on the 3DS in 2017). But more likely in the highlight reel near the end of the direct.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
Or a sudden appearance at the Treehouse, since they rarely cover games not in the direct (the new 2D metroid game on the 3DS in 2017). But more likely in the highlight reel near the end of the direct.
I would take even a highlight reel at this point.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit late to this, but no one else mentioned it...

With Kazuya from Tekken joining the battle, and his home series being owned by BAMCO, I feel this harms Agumon's (Or any BAMCO character, honestly...) chances extremely. Well, at least Tekken fans got what they wanted. I think he's an alright pick, better than Terry.

Hopefully the digital monster joins the roster of Smash 6.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit late to this, but no one else mentioned it...

With Kazuya from Tekken joining the battle, and his home series being owned by BAMCO, I feel this harms Agumon's (Or any BAMCO character, honestly...) chances extremely. Well, at least Tekken fans got what they wanted. I think he's an alright pick, better than Terry.

Hopefully the digital monster joins the roster of Smash 6.
Not really. I mean, this statement is still correct "If Agumon makes it into Smash Bros, he'd technically be the first Bandai representative."

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not really. I mean, this statement is still correct "If Agumon makes it into Smash Bros, he'd technically be the first Bandai representative."
Sadly his chances are gone, but at least he got to join the Smash Cruscade fangame.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well, if Agumon can't be in Ultimate, I'd gladly take a Mii hat as a consolation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It sucks he pretty much got his chances killed realistically, but at least we can hope for some kind of representation. Maybe a Spirit Event would be nice? Like for Survive.

I mean, it's not over till it's over, but this isn't a returning costume where there's a ghost of a chance. This is basically asking for them to load two characters in a row from the same company, which isn't actually that likely. It's not "impossible", but who knows why. Maybe it was considered as an idea, but scrapped. Keep in mind a 3-in-1 character is very difficult for DLC. Pyra/Mythra alone wasn't easy, and they couldn't get Rex to work... who is similar to Pokemon Trainer alone, at least in time. I'm not sure they are going to go for it in this game with how much work it requires. Next base game is a whole nother story. I was even surprised Pyra/Mythra were... possible. That says something. They didn't really break the edge here, and about half the characters are fairly simplistic for DLC; Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Sephiroth, and now Kazyuya. That leaves one left, who might not be mechanically intense like the rest; Piranha Plant, Hero, Min Min, Steve, Pyra/Mythra. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but I wouldn't count on going above a 2 in 1 character as plausible, as he considered Pyra/Mythra difficult to do overall with what he wanted. That's what killed Agumon's chances for me combined with a different Bamco character being picked.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think Digimon is inevitable regardless. Just not this pass or Ultimate. They are going to run out of options in the future even with new first party games popping up.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Even if Digimon didn't make it to Ultimate in the end, I think there will be a second chance next game. Fan support has seen decent growth since 2018, and it's fairly likely that Pac-Man and Kazuya will be base game characters next game if Bamco helps out with Smash again, which itself is also likely, thus reducing the competition Digimon would face for a fighter slot. So let's keep that support up and going.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if we got an Agumon Mii Costume alongside Kazuya, maybe something like the Agumon costume from that Miku Nendoroid:
1624122411336.png

Sure it's a shame that Agumon likely didn't make the cut, but I'd be happy to see Digimon acknowledged at all even in a small way, really.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, ignoring that whole third party/first party conversation (because Wyvy is accurate),

I'm just reminiscing now about how much I actually do want Agumon in Smash.
Here's to hoping we get another fighter's pass!

As for a 3-on-1 character... I don't actually think it would be all that difficult. Upscale the model of Agumon, twice- obviously making necessary changes, but with the same core skeleton. Escalate the standard moves, changing only stats, and then upgrade the specials when necessary.

Unrelated- does anyone know where I can watch all the content of Digimon Adventures, past the first two seasons? Reboot, remakes, and all?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, ignoring that whole third party/first party conversation (because Wyvy is accurate),

I'm just reminiscing now about how much I actually do want Agumon in Smash.
Here's to hoping we get another fighter's pass!

As for a 3-on-1 character... I don't actually think it would be all that difficult. Upscale the model of Agumon, twice- obviously making necessary changes, but with the same core skeleton. Escalate the standard moves, changing only stats, and then upgrade the specials when necessary.

Unrelated- does anyone know where I can watch all the content of Digimon Adventures, past the first two seasons? Reboot, remakes, and all?
You can find stuff on Hulu, Tubi, Netflix, stuff like that. It completely varies. The only one that never seems available is Data Squad for some reason. It's even hard to find on E-Bay. I don't think the season did all that well, so who knows why.

The movies are the same. Crunchyroll also has a lot of the subs, including the updates of Adventure's reboot and the missing undubbed seasons too(Applimon and Young Hunters). It won't let you see the latest episode right away unless you're Premium though.

Finding them all on one non-pirate site platform is pretty much a no-go, sadly.

That said, I agree with you on Agumon not being all that hard. Pyra/Mythra are pretty much clones of each other, though somewhat more similar design-wise, so they wouldn't be as hard. The way the 01 Agumon line works is that it shouldn't be as difficult as Pokemon Trainer. Still difficult, but easier. They just would have more issues including a Tamer, which is the only reason Digimon can easily de-digivolve. But being it's Smash, liberties are taken. That, and the game-only Tamers are almost all unmemorable except Ryo at best. And he only just happens to be related story-wise to the Adventure series, more tied to Tamers as a series now. He doesn't have a hard connection to Agumon either way, so it's a stretch. Not that stretches can't be done, but is he really the best? If they want a Tamer in, just use a character that makes sense. Tai is fine in this case. If licensing doesn't give a single issue, anyway. It's a game series, and showing non-game related content is more than a normal thing in Smash. The only caveat is that doing it this way is different since the Tamer is generally named too. Maybe a generic one loosely based upon all the core protagonists(who look fairly similar with the same kind of spiky hair and goggles)?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You can find stuff on Hulu, Tubi, Netflix, stuff like that. It completely varies. The only one that never seems available is Data Squad for some reason. It's even hard to find on E-Bay. I don't think the season did all that well, so who knows why.

The movies are the same. Crunchyroll also has a lot of the subs, including the updates of Adventure's reboot and the missing undubbed seasons too(Applimon and Young Hunters). It won't let you see the latest episode right away unless you're Premium though.

Finding them all on one non-pirate site platform is pretty much a no-go, sadly.

That said, I agree with you on Agumon not being all that hard. Pyra/Mythra are pretty much clones of each other, though somewhat more similar design-wise, so they wouldn't be as hard. The way the 01 Agumon line works is that it shouldn't be as difficult as Pokemon Trainer. Still difficult, but easier. They just would have more issues including a Tamer, which is the only reason Digimon can easily de-digivolve. But being it's Smash, liberties are taken. That, and the game-only Tamers are almost all unmemorable except Ryo at best. And he only just happens to be related story-wise to the Adventure series, more tied to Tamers as a series now. He doesn't have a hard connection to Agumon either way, so it's a stretch. Not that stretches can't be done, but is he really the best? If they want a Tamer in, just use a character that makes sense. Tai is fine in this case. If licensing doesn't give a single issue, anyway. It's a game series, and showing non-game related content is more than a normal thing in Smash. The only caveat is that doing it this way is different since the Tamer is generally named too. Maybe a generic one loosely based upon all the core protagonists(who look fairly similar with the same kind of spiky hair and goggles)?
I didn't actually know Tamers were in any of the games. I honestly don't see a world where that happens, but it would be a twist- I've always just taken it that the Smash player would function as the Tamer role. I also don't expect there to be time to groom or feed the Digimon, but it would add a level of uniqueness to the train-them-to-get-them-to-Digivolve aspect.

I just said this in the Rayman thread, but Agumon is absolutely on my short list of most wanted third parties (which consists entirely of characters I feel made a huge impact in the gaming industry, personal connection mostly unnecessary, though a bonus in this case).

I find it funny when we say that characters don't 'represent' anything, when they clearly do, in some cases. We needed an NES rep, we had placeholders for Pokemon and Fire Emblem (for whatever reason the latter, special treatment clearly).

For anyone interested, here is my list (off memory, likely missing one or two of the top tier).

Third Party:
  • Agumon
  • Rayman
  • Bomberman
  • Doom Slayer
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Lara Croft
  • Red Bird (Angry Birds)
  • Jill Valentine (any Resident Evil)
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Nightmare
  • Sora
  • Frogger
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • Scorpion
  • Jonesy
  • Tracer

(Not top tier but I understand)
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Akira (Virtua Fighter)
  • Ezio
  • Monster Hunter
  • Professor Layton
  • Jibanyan
  • Dr Eggman
  • Dante
  • Arle Nadja
  • (World of Warcraft char)
  • Heavy
  • CJ (GTA)
  • Aiai
  • Sol Badguy
  • Morrigan
  • Lloyd Irving

First Party (less revolutionary, but all either missing All-Stars, or series that helped shape Nintendo)
  • Eevee
  • Meowth/Team Rocket
  • Dixie Kong
  • Captian Toad
  • Paper Mario
  • Lip
  • Excite Biker (I'd take Mach Rider)
  • Dragaux ( Considering the sales of Ring Fit, and it being a Switch game... I'm honestly surprised)
  • Isaac
  • Chorus Kids (or any Rhythm Heaven)
  • Andy (or any from 'Wars)
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Dr. Kawashima (or that Professor from Big Brain Academy)
  • Sukapon

(Not Top Tier but wanted)
  • Rillaboom
  • King Boo
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Waluigi
  • DK Jr
  • Bandana Dee
  • All Four Champions separately, OR
  • Lynel
  • Tetra
  • Vaati
  • Takamaru
  • Ray MKIII
  • Sims Character

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
a hero needs goggles
For looks, at least. It's the iconic design~

...A few actually use 'em properly. At least the electronic ones in Tri are much better than previous ones. Using them as actual ways to see data etc. in the air provides a good way to analyze stuff but also make better decisions. It'd be nice if this was later given to various protagonists.

Otherwise, some have used them to mean something, like Taiki having a very specific animation where he flicks them to mean he has an idea. It's not perfect use, but at least it's some kind of use, heh.

Besides, it would make for a good generic design option. Pokemon Trainer already did this by being fully generic despite using Red's design from the Gen III remakes. I think they slightly updated it in Ultimate(I don't mean basic textures being better, but direct changes) when adding Leaf to the costume list. Probably the design from a later 3D game and all. I dunno. But the point is they can easily do a generic character well. I don't remember how many of the more generic protagonists in the previous Digimon games there are, but having 4 male and 4 female designs based upon them with goggles is a pretty good way to hit both ways home. Otherwise, music and voice acting is even more perfect to make Agumon memorable to anime and game fans.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For looks, at least. It's the iconic design~

...A few actually use 'em properly. At least the electronic ones in Tri are much better than previous ones. Using them as actual ways to see data etc. in the air provides a good way to analyze stuff but also make better decisions. It'd be nice if this was later given to various protagonists.

Otherwise, some have used them to mean something, like Taiki having a very specific animation where he flicks them to mean he has an idea. It's not perfect use, but at least it's some kind of use, heh.

Besides, it would make for a good generic design option. Pokemon Trainer already did this by being fully generic despite using Red's design from the Gen III remakes. I think they slightly updated it in Ultimate(I don't mean basic textures being better, but direct changes) when adding Leaf to the costume list. Probably the design from a later 3D game and all. I dunno. But the point is they can easily do a generic character well. I don't remember how many of the more generic protagonists in the previous Digimon games there are, but having 4 male and 4 female designs based upon them with goggles is a pretty good way to hit both ways home. Otherwise, music and voice acting is even more perfect to make Agumon memorable to anime and game fans.
so what your saying it's better if the goggles severe a purpose? thanks thatll be useful down the line

Top Bottom