• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Which one? That MirageGaogamon is more similar to WarGreymon than ShineGreymon is? I already said why. The designs match the other Mega a lot better despite obviously intending to reference the original. While MachGaogamon is clearly referencing WereGarurumon(in fact, this is common among various Digimon protagonists to match a previous one's line to some degree), his Mega form doesn't really look similar to MetalGarurumon at all beyond being a wolf motif. He's upright, has two claws, is basically flying around heavily with spinning like moves. About the only thing ShineGreymon and WarGreymon share beyond a name(not even similar helmets) is Glorious Burst and Terra Force are kind of similar. His wings are even closer to MetalGarurumon, as WarGreymon has a completely different set of wings to begin with. Honestly, the Megas for those two were never remotely close to the Adventure 1 counterparts beyond a name at best. At least RizeGreymon is a similar concept to MetalGreymon, with while some differences, you can tell the similarities. Just one's a low-tech cyborg(MetalGreymon) while the other is high-tech(RizeGreymon).

Or that if Omnimon is the Final Smash, there's enough palette swaps? Though I'd rather have Omnimon as a really fast and efficient Final Smash, anyway. Both attacks are extremely fast, just like Final Smashes are now. WarGreymon has a lot longer wind-up time, and wouldn't have time for two attacks as is. One larger attack by Omnimon(most of his forms share the same abilities, which makes sense, since they're either upgrades or palette swaps like Zwart).
1. That's your opinion. 2. WarGreymon doesn't have any wings. 3. What makes you think that WarGreymon's attack has a longer windup time than Omnimon's?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to keep it short and sweet; The second you literally dismiss stuff without an explanation, you aren't making a debate point. "It's just your opinion man" is not a point. "I don't see it" would've been good enough and you could've moved on. Why on earth you're dragging out my observation that MirageGaogamon resembles WarGreymon better than ShineGreymon I don't know. Nor do I care. You don't have a point to even make to rebut what I said, so it's not actually worth talking about.

WarGreymon has wings on his back. They're shaped like wings, used like wings, and just resemble plane-style wings, not flapping bird-style wings. Wings come in multiple varieties. He in fact flies often with them out, which never made sense since he doesn't really follow any laws of aerodynamics. The way they're designed they shouldn't provide flight yet still do. Fiction, amirite?

Omnimon's Supreme Cannon literally clicks and fires. WarGreymon's Terra Force has him brings his arms back and gather energy, and then throws it. It takes more time on average. Though the time isn't much, by a second or two. But Supreme Cannon is naturally faster due to a lot less motions needed to pull off.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to keep it short and sweet; The second you literally dismiss stuff without an explanation, you aren't making a debate point. "It's just your opinion man" is not a point. "I don't see it" would've been good enough and you could've moved on. Why on earth you're dragging out my observation that MirageGaogamon resembles WarGreymon better than ShineGreymon I don't know. Nor do I care. You don't have a point to even make to rebut what I said, so it's not actually worth talking about.

WarGreymon has wings on his back. They're shaped like wings, used like wings, and just resemble plane-style wings, not flapping bird-style wings. Wings come in multiple varieties. He in fact flies often with them out, which never made sense since he doesn't really follow any laws of aerodynamics. The way they're designed they shouldn't provide flight yet still do. Fiction, amirite?

Omnimon's Supreme Cannon literally clicks and fires. WarGreymon's Terra Force has him brings his arms back and gather energy, and then throws it. It takes more time on average. Though the time isn't much, by a second or two. But Supreme Cannon is naturally faster due to a lot less motions needed to pull off.
The first and third things are just your opinion, that doesn't mean that they are correct. The second thing is straight up wrong, WarGreymon doesn't have any wings, those are the two pieces of the Brave Shield. Omnimon has to first bring his cannon out, aim, charge and fire it, that takes longer that bringing your arms, back and apart and then forward again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, right, I forgot Omnimon doesn't start with the Supreme Cannon. However, my intention was a Warp DNA Digivolve that doesn't show every previous form either, so he appears a bit faster than WarGreymon's full thing.

Not going to bother with the other stuff cause it's pointless and I am not going to drag stuff on when there's no reason not to. You don't want to agree? Okay. No skin off my back.

That said, I'm working on various Agumon alts. As many as possible too, mostly for variety. A few will have actual alt changes(like a hat, Savers' Agumon's bands, etc.), but the most will be straight recolors or possibly based upon another Digimon. I had a lot of suggestions, including Dorumon, all the Digidestined Digimon from the anime, and ToyAgumon(that one might work, but I feel it's a bit much to recolor perfectly compared to something a very clear pattern. Definitely doesn't work as an alt since the bodyshape is fairly different. Far more than something like Meta Ridley where it's just an armor difference, and that still takes a lot of work. A previous user pointed out how different the bodyshapes are, and I agree).

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

I'm surprised that no one posted this yet. I can see Bandai Namco really pushing Digimon for new anime season instead of their other properties.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
The idea of a character with a forced, but permanent, transformation is really interesting, but is seems really difficult to balance. That said, if Sakurai and his team were to attempt something like that, I trust that they'd find a way to make it work out -- and I can't imagine a better rep to include this mechanic than Greymon. My hype is with you, digimon fans.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Made this mock-up out of boredoom. I don't own the render, I just did the editing.
Agumon Amiibo.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
agumoncolors1.png

Made these. Note that I'm still working on other stuff, but SantaAgumon etc. aren't nearly as easy. The second set is Savers versions. To clarify, the last alt on each one is meant more to reference Betamon a bit. Red was an ideal other color, but I felt Green worked too, as that's also a color related to the reptilian natures of them.

To explain it better, the orange version of Agumon, BlackAgumon, SnowAgumon(regular), Betamon colors.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
agumoncolors2.png

And a second set done. Similar to the first one to some degree. You have the yellow version of Agumon, SnowAgumon(2006 colors), Nise Agumon Hakase colors, and Tyrannomon. I'm having trouble getting good hats/etc. done for better alts. They are not easy to do. I do plan to try and make both Hakase, BushiAgumon, and SantaAgumon alts if I can.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm okay with this April Fool's Day joke - I grew up with these two series, and seeing them cross over like this is pretty cool.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I prefer Veemon myself.

Nevertheless, if we get a Digimon as a playable fighter, I want them to reference the games and the V-Pets more than the anime.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The idea of a character with a forced, but permanent, transformation is really interesting, but is seems really difficult to balance. That said, if Sakurai and his team were to attempt something like that, I trust that they'd find a way to make it work out -- and I can't imagine a better rep to include this mechanic than Greymon. My hype is with you, digimon fans.
Wait... if there is any character with a permanent transformation, it should *NOT* be Digimon. In fact, that would be one of the worst options I can think of for a permanent transformation, quite frankly. Digimon never stay transformed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
they can in plenty of video games
All right.

That is still the anomoly, and not for what the series is known.
It's the same problem with a 'tag team' Digimon character.
Sure, it happens- but that isn't associated with the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, but say that Agumon stays digivolved for the rest of the match or until he loses a match, what then? Can't be done with Wargreymon, and Greymon barely fits enough to justify it.

Some concessions have to be made for the sake of gameplay in Smash, so it's not always possible for gameplay to be 100% faithful to the source games of a series.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Okay, but say that Agumon stays digivolved for the rest of the match or until he loses a match, what then? Can't be done with Wargreymon, and Greymon barely fits enough to justify it.

Some concessions have to be made for the sake of gameplay in Smash, so it's not always possible for gameplay to be 100% faithful to the source games of a series.
I don't understand what you are intending to say? What cannot be done with Wargreymon and Greymon?

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice

Where did you get your profile image?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
All right.

That is still the anomoly, and not for what the series is known.
It's the same problem with a 'tag team' Digimon character.
Sure, it happens- but that isn't associated with the series.
that’s why it so much fun to speculate about it, how would they include these mechanics if they would. Personally I’m hoping for him temporarily becoming greymon before reverting

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, bad news boys, Survive won't be coming out in the foreseeable future.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...dly_been_delayed_again_this_time_indefinitely

At least this makes Cyber Sleuth representation likelier, I guess...

I don't understand what you are intending to say? What cannot be done with Wargreymon and Greymon?
You can't stay as them in Smash gameplay forever without either throwing gameplay balance even more out of whack than usual, or taking up too much room (even if Wargreymon could be shruken), respectively.

Anyway, the point is, maybe they will stay transformed, maybe they won't, we just don't know what the heck the Smash staff will/could go with. If they think there are limitations, it's their call, not ours.

that’s why it so much fun to speculate about it, how would they include these mechanics if they would. Personally I’m hoping for him temporarily becoming greymon before reverting
Now, see, that's what I think that could be the likeliest outcome.

Where did you get your profile image?
Hudson Hatley from Twitter, he's pretty good (if having something of a self-esteem issue).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You can't stay as them in Smash gameplay forever without either throwing gameplay balance even more out of whack than usual, or taking up too much room (even if Wargreymon could be shruken), respectively.

Anyway, the point is, maybe they will stay transformed, maybe they won't, we just don't know what the heck the Smash staff will/could go with. If they think there are limitations, it's their call, not ours.

I am really hoping that the Digimon harken back more to the handheld pets. I think that is a way to make them truly unique.

Maybe it is Corona delusion, but I do think Agumon is one of the most likely third party characters, if we get one this pass.

Along with:
Bomberman
Lara Croft
Sora
Heihachi

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I remember watching the Digimon: Digital Monsters animated series back in the day and for some reason, I was more hooked with it than Pokémon at the time. Recently I started playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition on the Switch and the nostalgia kicked in. Dang, I support Agumon for Smash; COUNT ME IN! :awesome:

Not only would Agumon be a solid Bandai Namco rep, but as some have pointed out on this thread, he'd be repping the following points:

- Digivice toys (actual toys from back in the day)
- a LEGIT rival to Pikachu (and Pokémon)

In regards to what his gimmick could be, an idea struck me. Ya'll know how Pokémon Trainer cycles between Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard (Down B)? What if, Agumon had a similar gimmick, but rather than switching between different mons like PT, he'd switch between different digivolution phases. The input could be either neutral B (so the digivolution change could be done in a similar interface to Shulk's monado arts), or Down B. The digivolution change would be controlled by selecting either left or right (left for de-digivolution; right for digivolution). The evolution stages of course would be Agumon (Rookie/base form), Greymon (Champion form), and Metal Greymon (Ultimate form). If he's in Agumon form, selecting left while say, pressing neutral B (or down B) would actually make him Digivolve to Metal Greymon; while pressing right as Metal Greymon would de-digivolve him to Agumon. All forms would share some moves, while have their own unique attacks corresponding to said forms. His final smash would be War Greymon (in which case, since final smashes are mapped with neutral B, perhaps his form change gimmick would best be set to down B).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I remember watching the Digimon: Digital Monsters animated series back in the day and for some reason, I was more hooked with it than Pokémon at the time. Recently I started playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition on the Switch and the nostalgia kicked in. Dang, I support Agumon for Smash; COUNT ME IN! :awesome:

Not only would Agumon be a solid Bandai Namco rep, but as some have pointed out on this thread, he'd be repping the following points:

In regards to what his gimmick could be, an idea struck me. Ya'll know how Pokémon Trainer cycles between Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard (Down B)? What if, Agumon had a similar gimmick, but rather than switching between different mons like PT, he'd switch between different digivolution phases. The input could be either neutral B (so the digivolution change could be done in a similar interface to Shulk's monado arts), or Down B. The digivolution change would be controlled by selecting either left or right (left for de-digivolution; right for digivolution). The evolution stages of course would be Agumon (Rookie/base form), Greymon (Champion form), and Metal Greymon (Ultimate form). If he's in Agumon form, selecting left while say, pressing neutral B (or down B) would actually make him Digivolve to Metal Greymon; while pressing right as Metal Greymon would de-digivolve him to Agumon. All forms would share some moves, while have their own unique attacks corresponding to said forms. His final smash would be War Greymon (in which case, since final smashes are mapped with neutral B, perhaps his form change gimmick would best be set to down B).
Glad to have you on board!
I'm not a big fan of this idea, though.
I am .. nearly without question.. not a fan of any new character 'who would work just like ___ who is already in.'
It cheapens the value and distinction of both characters, in my eyes, and robs us of a new unique gameplay mechanic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

This honestly fits digivolution really well. While using a mechanic from PT and Shulk might seem "copying"/too similar like the above post suggests, it however fits the digivolution trees within the game while giving the proper ability to Warp Digivolve. Contrary to popular belief, you can warp exactly 1 level. It's a common thing even in the card games.

Though it's less common to see a Digimon revert back to its previous stage, it's also a valid slide evolution now. Via the movies, an Ultimate and Champion could slide digivolve into each other. It seems like the only consistent rule is "same level" or "a level apart" at best. Adult-Class Hybrids and Perfect-Class Hybrids were the norm, after all. ...I think the dub almost never used Ultimate-Class instead of Perfect-Class. I don't remember if Mega-Class was in the card game either, in replacement of Japan's Ultimate-Class variant.

This covers the concepts of Digivolution quite well. Even the Final Smash being a shorter moment happened often to new Digivolutions. Turn into a Digimon, do an attack, de-digivolve.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Oh, Agumon for Smash? Let's go. Greymon V Charizard lads.

Top Bottom