• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Tomorrow morning will be the DigiNavi Digimon Direct!

This is cool. I'm not expecting anything Smash-related, but it's still nice to see Digimon getting some love these days.

傑明洛

Smash Cadet
Tomorrow morning will be the DigiNavi Digimon Direct!

I wonder if this video will at least have subtitles so other people can understand what's going on. One of the biggest reasons that make it hard for Digimon gain more popularity is that they often don't target anyone outside their Japanese audience.

Graizen

Smash Champion

At 0:58 mark you can see
Digimon World
Digimon World 2
Digimon Story DS
Digimon Re: Digitize
Digimon Battle Card
Digimon Rumble Arena
They said this trailer was to show their projects for this year
I HOPE this means ports of these games!
Or maybe remakes!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Digimon World
Digimon World 2
Digimon Story DS
Digimon Battle Card
Digimon Rumble Arena
Or maybe remakes!
Real talk, I have a soft spot for trailers involving fictional characters causing destruction in the real world, but it's okay because "it's fun". That always makes me laugh.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Digimon World
Digimon World 2
Digimon Story DS
Digimon Battle Card
Digimon Rumble Arena
Or maybe remakes!
neat trailer, is that all we got from the direct

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
in regards to an earlier post of yours Graizen Graizen just saw on twitter a developer saying that if there was enough fan interest theyd bring the original digimon world to newer consoles

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Digimon World
Digimon World 2
Digimon Story DS
Digimon Battle Card
Digimon Rumble Arena
Or maybe remakes!
That's such a dope trailer. I like the little nods to Digimon World 1, like Tyrannomon having an updated version of his roar from that game, and the playground resembling the one from the opening cutscene.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
The "Digimon Project" trailer seems very "Smash" like.
Agumon coming out of Virtual pet, The evolution, WarGreymon vs MetalGarurumon,
the Omnimon fusion where Gabumon disappears and only Agumon stays.

傑明洛

Smash Cadet

I think it's more "pokemon go-like"

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice

Gabumon didn't disappear.

Graizen

Smash Champion
This is Volcano Ota
The Digimon series planning developer.
I asked him what he would think of a Digimon in Smash, and said that we are supporting Agumon.
He said "That's good! I think it will be fun"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is Volcano Ota
The Digimon series planning developer.
I asked him what he would think of a Digimon in Smash, and said that we are supporting Agumon.
He said "That's good! I think it will be fun"

well thats something in our favour

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Just throwing my wish list up. I couldn't decide between Lara Croft or Sora. I feel like Sora would make it in before her though. Geno will lead the way as we go to E3 where two big character bombs being Scorpion and Crash Bandicoot drop. Toward the end of the year we get a tease of something in Smash to do with Square. Sora revealed at the VGA's.

Starting up 2021 we get many VERY HARD TO FIGURE OUT hints from Sakurai himself about our next fighter. They end up pointing to Agumon (who I would love). Then E3 2021 will be Master Chief to really blow minds, finish the pass, and finish the fight one last time.

smash wishlist.jpg

I would really REALLY love to see Digimon and Pokemon in the same game..!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just throwing my wish list up. I couldn't decide between Lara Croft or Sora. I feel like Sora would make it in before her though. Geno will lead the way as we go to E3 where two big character bombs being Scorpion and Crash Bandicoot drop. Toward the end of the year we get a tease of something in Smash to do with Square. Sora revealed at the VGA's.

Starting up 2021 we get many VERY HARD TO FIGURE OUT hints from Sakurai himself about our next fighter. They end up pointing to Agumon (who I would love). Then E3 2021 will be Master Chief to really blow minds, finish the pass, and finish the fight one last time.

View attachment 260526

I would really REALLY love to see Digimon and Pokemon in the same game..!
i could get on board with 4 & 5

New video

There was a problem fetching the tweet
not bad

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've been working small bits on a Fighter's pass 2. Albeit, with two hard rules; Character 6(as in challenger 6 overall) needs to be a head turner, and personal favorites as well. While I am picking ToyAgumon over Agumon in this case, I still want to see Agumon in as is(as Toy would be lucky to be a Spirit, respectively. An alt costume doesn't work that well).

I also would prefer they focus on multiple seasons for the Final Smash. For Agumon, he has multiple Megas due to that, but I'm thinking either to use Omnimon(with a Triple Warp Digivolve term used, probably using the Savers' style animation because it's a bit faster than Adventure Warp Evolution) or stick with WarGreymon. I've noted the Digiegg thing too, but that doesn't work that well anyway outside of implementing if if you have a regular digivolution system as his mechanic. Another thing is WarGreymon could have colors based upon your costumes too. There's enough variants to count. You could do small changes like giving it slight recolors on small pieces of its armor to represent the Savers versions of Agumons. You can make some unique colors like Blue/White for SnowAgumon's warp version.

For instance, let's see the costumes are Agumon, BlackAgumon, SnowAgumon, Agumon(Savers), BlackAgumon(Savers), SnowAgumon(Savers). The first three are straight recolors. The last three mentioned just have slight variations on their armor, like small strikes or something. Then the rest is whatever costumes you can find. You could, say, have Agumon Hakase and Nise Agumon Hakase as the final two. They could go into variants otherwise. Maybe use VictoryGreymon for Hakase, but with no actual differences for the cutscene attacks. The sword wouldn't necessarily be used. Nise could go into BlitzGreymon, who might be easier to work with.

...Yes, I can't think of easy 7th and 8th costume. Though I admit there's also BushiAgumon and SantaAgumon. Same FS variants as above, too. Bushi is a swordsman, fitting VictoryGreymon. And Santa has "presents", which fits BiltzGreymon's bigger gatling arms a bit closer.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I might have said this already, but if Agumon gets a digivolution mechanic, I think his digivolution will be WarGreymon. I feel like WarGreymon has greater moveset potential than Greymon and MetalGreymon, which would probably make him a more appealing choice for Sakurai than the other two Digivolution candidates.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
When Agumon gets in, I'm telling you, it'll be him, he'll get to Digivolve to Greymon and WarGreymon will be his Final Smash because it'll be easier for them!

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't even think digivolution would be apart of of Agumons moveset/ mechanics.
In most of the Digimon video games i've played usually the highest level is maintained.
The digivolving as you battle seems more like an anime thing, as opposed to a video game thing.

The games seem to be very stat heavy and about training and stuff.
I can imagine a mechanic where discs and/ or drives spawn or drop as you fight.
With different coloured discs and drives increasing different stats, allowing you to prioritize increasing different stats as you fight.

Depending what stat is favoured the most, determines what digivolution you have as a final smash or something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't even think digivolution would be apart of of Agumons moveset/ mechanics.
In most of the Digimon video games i've played usually the highest level is maintained.
The digivolving as you battle seems more like an anime thing, as opposed to a video game thing.

With different coloured discs and drives increasing different stats, allowing you to prioritize increasing different stats as you fight.

Depending what stat is favoured the most, determines what digivolution you have as a final smash or something.
that would run the risk of him becoming overly complicated

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The thing is, all Final Smashes now are very quick as opposed to previous games. The Digivolve to his Mega form to attack using signature moves before going back to Agumon would work

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Red discs increase offense.
Yellow discs increase defense.

It can be simplified or complicated.
well having items spawn for specific character, that they themselves didnt make, seems like an odd mechanic that could easily be hampered or abused.

might make a decent stage mechanic

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Agumon should have a digievolution technique witj a bar meter similar to Joker, that evolves him to Wargreymon when its full, there he would be more powerfull but the evolution last until the meter fill outs (and the more specials you use, the faster it gets empty). Then, wargreymon de-digivolves to Koromon, the prior form of Agumon, here, he would be extremely weak (the first character with no specials attacks) and you would mantein it until the digivolve bar fills in again and can digivolve to Agumon. To compensate, when you are Koromon, the bar meter will fill faster.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice

Digimon Rumble Arena, Rumble Arena 2, All-Star Rumble, Digimon Battle Spirit, Battle Spirit 2 and Digimon Racing.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Digimon Rumble Arena, Rumble Arena 2, All-Star Rumble, Digimon Battle Spirit, Battle Spirit 2 and Digimon Racing.
Arguably Cyber Sleuth too, as there's two important Digimon who digivolve and devolve as necessary for the plot.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Agumon should have a digievolution technique witj a bar meter similar to Joker, that evolves him to Wargreymon when its full, there he would be more powerfull but the evolution last until the meter fill outs (and the more specials you use, the faster it gets empty). Then, wargreymon de-digivolves to Koromon, the prior form of Agumon, here, he would be extremely weak (the first character with no specials attacks) and you would mantein it until the digivolve bar fills in again and can digivolve to Agumon. To compensate, when you are Koromon, the bar meter will fill faster.
As much as that's good on paper, that's an awful lot of work. Do something like how Rumble does: Keep Agumon in his rookie form and mega evolve him with the meter. Once it drains, back to Agumon

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
At the end of the day, the real question about a Digivolution mechanic is whether or not it would be profitable for them to essentially design two or more characters and sell it at the price of one. First they'd have to make Agumon himself, but if Agumon's body changes in any major way, they have make, animate, and balance another entirely new character, who probably wouldn't be able to reuse much from Agumon. That means that they'd essentially be making a new character from scratch, all for the gimmick of one character, when it would be much more profitable to put those resources to work on the next character in the Fighters Pass. Maybe they could make it so once Agumon reaches a certain point, his specials will make him Digivolve for the attack, and he'll turn back when it's done. Not sure how feasible that would be though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just finished Tri. Thinking about it, a Final Smash Omnimon has enough modes that you could give it a lot of recolors based upon what costume you are. Albeit, they aren't nearly as diverse as the WarGreymon variants over the years(and even then, ShineGreymon is completely different, to the point of feeling closer to a MetalGarurumon-like Digimon. Though to be fair, MirageGaogamon looks a lot more like WarGreymon, with a cape instead and a wolf motif).

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
I just finished Tri. Thinking about it, a Final Smash Omnimon has enough modes that you could give it a lot of recolors based upon what costume you are. Albeit, they aren't nearly as diverse as the WarGreymon variants over the years(and even then, ShineGreymon is completely different, to the point of feeling closer to a MetalGarurumon-like Digimon. Though to be fair, MirageGaogamon looks a lot more like WarGreymon, with a cape instead and a wolf motif).
Why do you think that?

At the end of the day, the real question about a Digivolution mechanic is whether or not it would be profitable for them to essentially design two or more characters and sell it at the price of one. First they'd have to make Agumon himself, but if Agumon's body changes in any major way, they have make, animate, and balance another entirely new character, who probably wouldn't be able to reuse much from Agumon. That means that they'd essentially be making a new character from scratch, all for the gimmick of one character, when it would be much more profitable to put those resources to work on the next character in the Fighters Pass. Maybe they could make it so once Agumon reaches a certain point, his specials will make him Digivolve for the attack, and he'll turn back when it's done. Not sure how feasible that would be though.
That's why, if they do include it, they should stick to Greymon and leave WarGreymon as the Final Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats why i think they would only use greymon, a fair amount of the animations and moves could translate onto him

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
thats why i think they would only use greymon, a fair amount of the animations and moves could translate onto him
Also could have a nice aesthetic change by having greymon appear differently depending on what color palette agumon is currently using (ie black agumon uses black greymon, while a savers agumon alt uses geogreymon)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why do you think that?
Which one? That MirageGaogamon is more similar to WarGreymon than ShineGreymon is? I already said why. The designs match the other Mega a lot better despite obviously intending to reference the original. While MachGaogamon is clearly referencing WereGarurumon(in fact, this is common among various Digimon protagonists to match a previous one's line to some degree), his Mega form doesn't really look similar to MetalGarurumon at all beyond being a wolf motif. He's upright, has two claws, is basically flying around heavily with spinning like moves. About the only thing ShineGreymon and WarGreymon share beyond a name(not even similar helmets) is Glorious Burst and Terra Force are kind of similar. His wings are even closer to MetalGarurumon, as WarGreymon has a completely different set of wings to begin with. Honestly, the Megas for those two were never remotely close to the Adventure 1 counterparts beyond a name at best. At least RizeGreymon is a similar concept to MetalGreymon, with while some differences, you can tell the similarities. Just one's a low-tech cyborg(MetalGreymon) while the other is high-tech(RizeGreymon).

Or that if Omnimon is the Final Smash, there's enough palette swaps? Though I'd rather have Omnimon as a really fast and efficient Final Smash, anyway. Both attacks are extremely fast, just like Final Smashes are now. WarGreymon has a lot longer wind-up time, and wouldn't have time for two attacks as is. One larger attack by Omnimon(most of his forms share the same abilities, which makes sense, since they're either upgrades or palette swaps like Zwart).

Top Bottom