• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I said it in another thread (I can't remember which one), but don't read too deeply into the random goofy pictures that Sakurai posts. It seems unlikely that he's weaving in subtle little clues and hints for the next fighter which could be interpreted hundreds of different ways and twisted to fit whatever character a person chooses to support.
Yeah, the Ace Attorney thread is where it started.

Sadly, with the way people obsessively combed everything for clues the last couple years, it's seen as overanalysing instead of plain messing around. Honestly, I think it'd be better to just have a daily caption contest, at least then it'd be funnier.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The problem and the question are linked. Why Hiro and Devimon for Brawler and Angemon for Swordfighter?
Hiro and Devimon for Brawler is simply because they don't use any weapons, Devimon in particular is known for using his claws. Angemon uses a staff, and there are other examples of Swordfighter costumes using staves, so it was a no-brainer imo. As for why those choices in particular, I wanted to get at least one tamer represented somehow, so a Mii Costume was an ideal way to do that, and I think Angemon and Devimon are pretty notable Digimon who'd make for decent costumes as their designs are essentially already dudes in costumes. They also contrast each other well, so I wanted both of them to be there.

Truth be told it was probably the part of the post I thought the least about as I don't particularly care for Miis, but I think it turned out alright.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, the Ace Attorney thread is where it started.

Sadly, with the way people obsessively combed everything for clues the last couple years, it's seen as overanalysing instead of plain messing around. Honestly, I think it'd be better to just have a daily caption contest, at least then it'd be funnier.
again we're just having a bit of fun in the AA thread

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Hiro and Devimon for Brawler is simply because they don't use any weapons, Devimon in particular is known for using his claws. Angemon uses a staff, and there are other examples of Swordfighter costumes using staves, so it was a no-brainer imo. As for why those choices in particular, I wanted to get at least one tamer represented somehow, so a Mii Costume was an ideal way to do that, and I think Angemon and Devimon are pretty notable Digimon who'd make for decent costumes as their designs are essentially already dudes in costumes. They also contrast each other well, so I wanted both of them to be there.

Truth be told it was probably the part of the post I thought the least about as I don't particularly care for Miis, but I think it turned out alright.
Yeah, but in Digimon there are so many swordfighters that would work better, like say MagnaAngemon. Also, Tamers don't fight, that would be like having the Pokemon Trainer fight.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but in Digimon there are so many swordfighters that would work better, like say MagnaAngemon. Also, Tamers don't fight, that would be like having the Pokemon Trainer fight.
Does it really matter whether Tamers fight or not when it comes to making one a Mii costume? They are only costumes after all. Especially when we have characters like Duck Hunt, Villager, and Isabelle as full-blown fighters. Heck, there's already Mii Costumes of non-combatant characters like Vince from Art Academy, and even Team Rocket Grunts.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On the bright side, we didn't get Mii Costume'd out of the running like what happened with Cuphead.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Sakurai's counting in BINARY Code
Was interesting
Dont you think?
Digimon's essence is binary codes, they are made of it, their world is made of it.
Digimon games showing Binary Codes even in the menus.

DHBW-eeW0AAJfw3.jpg

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Was interesting
Dont you think?
Digimon's essence is binary codes, they are made of it, their world is made of it.

View attachment 258049
It's 100% a coincidence, and this is a stretch that would make Mr. Fantastic jealous.

Graizen

Smash Champion
First poster for the new Digimon anime!
Confirmed a alternative version of the first season!

psiposter_january18_2020.jpg

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Is it another swordfighter?
Strictly speaking, it's a multi-weapon user. It's very much sword-focussed, though, like Link.

Was interesting
Dont you think?

View attachment 258049
Tri was even all about rogue code with 2s in it infecting the digital world. The entire plot was based on "what if binary went wrong".
Much as I disliked that series, I love how Digimon really owns its digital premise like that.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Boy, I wish Tamers could get the kind of love that Toei's been giving Adventure.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can only hope they have all the Digimon as rookies for their base. An alternate continuity means Gatomon doesn't have to be the base either. It only made sense because it was trained by Myotismon like many other Digimon to be super strong. The vampyric Digimon grabbed the digi-egg, crest, and tag early on, well aware of it, but wanted to keep the poor thing in its back pocket. So...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can only hope they have all the Digimon as rookies for their base. An alternate continuity means Gatomon doesn't have to be the base either. It only made sense because it was trained by Myotismon like many other Digimon to be super strong. The vampyric Digimon grabbed the digi-egg, crest, and tag early on, well aware of it, but wanted to keep the poor thing in its back pocket. So...
she didnt meet myotismon until she was salamon

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
However, they can't do that without having Kari be present at the very beginning, completely removing the 8th child arc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
she didnt meet myotismon until she was salamon
That's why she's Gatomon by the time the 8th Child Arc comes up.

However, they can't do that without having Kari be present at the very beginning, completely removing the 8th child arc.
That's the point. The arc has no meaning so they're zero reason to default to Gatomon outside of "nostalgia" at best. ...Which probably will happen. We don't exactly see how good Salamon is in battle against other Rookies. The other 7 actually made a good effort in the first episode, but rarely fought beyond that.

To be honest, I think it was only after the Adventure Saga that Rookies often fought in battles. Tamers made sense, as Digivolution was extremely difficult to pull off near the start. It didn't come up very fast, and was shown as something to worry about too(thanks to Gargomon going crazy). Frontier didn't have actual Rookies(and the closest was Agunimon's smaller form, and that never fought) due to the design. Data Squad/Savers had them fight quite often. Fusion didn't have Rookies by all means, but those who are Rookies in other media did battle a ton of times. That was the last dubbed anime, them not releasing Young Hunters at all... though we might get Applimon and Adventure:.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yes but you claimed that myotismon grabbed her egg when they didnt meet until long after
Oh, I remembered it that way. My bad. I mean, I haven't watched it in years. Exactly what Myotismon grabbed is harder to remember.

Anyway, one thing I heard is this takes places between 01 and 02. Obviously if that's the case, Gatomon's the standard. If it's an all new reboot of 01, and Kari's already there, Salamon is probably the standard.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, one thing I heard is this takes places between 01 and 02. Obviously if that's the case, Gatomon's the standard. If it's an all new reboot of 01, and Kari's already there, Salamon is probably the standard.
from what i heard it wasnt clear one way or the other, personally i hope its set between the two series, maybe its related to that event referenced in 02 when they were recalled to the digiworld to unleash the power of the crests

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
from what i heard it wasnt clear one way or the other, personally i hope its set between the two series, maybe its related to that event referenced in 02 when they were recalled to the digiworld to unleash the power of the crests
That, and it'd be nice for them to establish Magnadramon(the intended Mega) outside of a movie as is.

It's only the Japanese continuity where the 3rd movie doesn't matter. Digimon The Movie contains 2 canon movies and one of dubious canon. Tri stays with the original canon too, as Magnadramon is her true Mega. That said, it doesn't mean it can't have Ophanimon as another one. In fact, Ophanimon can evolve into Magnadramon as well, making it the true end of the line before extra Jogress forms come into play. I'm surprised they aren't slide evolutions, though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Top Bottom