• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, at least a couple of weeks and a few days before the VGAs start. I severely doubt we're getting another Direct.

Even if nothing happens at the VGAs (which is a slim chance), we've still get until February for FP5 to be completed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I decided to write this text / theory thanks to the last video posted by PapaGenos my friend, which even showed some comments of mine about the leak of the "Duo" character. You can watch it on the Link below:

https://youtu.be/FrVPl1B_HUo

The point here is not my comments but a post made by the user "Green", which was also shown in the PapaGenos video:

View attachment 246758

So in theory the next or one of Smash Bros Ultimate's next DLC characters would be a double character, just like the Ice Climbers, but would also have elements from Terry.
So I figured this could be referring to the duo Agumon and Gabumon. Coming from Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, Agumon and Gabumon work together 100% of the time, resulting in combos all the time throughout the game's history.

View attachment 246759

Reasons pointing to Agumon and Gabumon in this case:

1 - The fact that the character works as a duo in the same way as the Ice Climbers would work similarly.

2 - Ice Climbers is a duo of characters using ice techniques, while Terry uses fire techniques. Gabumon evolutions use ice techniques while Agumon evolutions only use fire techniques.

View attachment 246760

3 - Ice Climbers Squall Hammer is very similar to WarGreymon's Brave Tornado:

View attachment 246762

4 - Terry is a character who fights physically very well, WarGreymon also fights melee almost all the time. In addition the "Power Wave" technique that travels the ground is very similar to the "Dramon Cutter" which also travels the ground with a trail of flame.

View attachment 246766

5 - Perhaps Agumon and its evolutions fight hand-to-hand while Gabumon and its evolutions are just behind helping with ranged techniques. It would make sense for Terry's moves to be used for Agumon while Ice Climber's ice techniques were used for Gabumon. But the two could also fight separately, that's all theory.

6 - Evolving together they could reach Omnimon in their Final Smash, which is one of the most beloved Digimon of all time! It would make sense for him to appear in Smash as well.

View attachment 246767

In short I imagine that the theme of "Ice and Fire Pair / Ice Climbers and Terry" would fit perfectly with Agumon and Gabumon. What do you think?
I guess I don't really understand. For me, unique mechanics that drive a characters gameplay should reflect how the character recurringly played.
I guess part of the gimmick with Digimon is that it always changed its gimmicks- but I definitely dont think of Digimon when I think of 'partnered play.'' It feels a bit forced to me. Gabumon is my favorite, btw.

Guess cosmetic aesthetics truly matter at all. It makes me go think Sakurai and his team were like: "Okay we have Blue for Terry, now who is the next orange character?"

Lmao, people are so desperate over a character that it ranges from chairs, cushions and now colors as hints to predict who should be the next character
It comes with some standard.
While not explicitly explained in color theory, there are a few reasons that it could be considered somewhat plausible (again, as a theory, not as fact).

Psychological and marketing base:
Sakurai has gone on the record to discuss the necessity of different silhouette's in smash- characters with different silhouettes are important because in lower resolution, from a distance, or in chaos, different silhouettes are easier to discern at a glance. This is in part why old systems used a lot of characters with different silhouettes, because without fine detail, it more easily sets characters apart. It's why many childrens shows, like Arthur, use characters of different species to help young children discern the difference. They are also frequently different colors.
In smash, colors are less important than silhouette, because we can so easily change them, but the principles still hold true, and there are merits to wanting diversity among a character's default form. (Silhouettes are also given a big priority- its why multiple models are so emphasized- like the dual Bayonetta's or the four Heroes. They are each new silhouettes for the whole series).
See also- "Character approaching" using the silhouette to showcase a new character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Agumon is more likely to get in than KOS-MOS, but some people on the general speculation thread are obsessed with the latter.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Why did Terry bring more tracks then the other three combined?
Because when Sakurai provided an initial list of songs to use in SSBU, SNK decided to just approve of everything on there, hence why we got fifty tracks worth of SNK music in Smash. A lot of other franchises don't seem to be as generous as SNK was (ex. Dragon Quest), but overall it does seem like ten tracks is a reasonable average for a new third party franchise to bring to SSBU.

Still hoping that if Agumon gets in, he brings some solid tracks from the Digimon franchise. I can already think of a couple of songs I'd love to see in Smash:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why did Terry bring more tracks then the other three combined?
It was pretty clearly explained in Terry's spotlight video - they give a list of song requests, expecting it to be narrowed down to ten or twenty, but SNK said yes to all of them. Also, Square-Enix seems to have it set up where the composers own the rights to the music, seeing as the Dragon Quest composer got his own copyright information, which seems like it would complicate things.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Agumon should bring 1 random track from every Digimon Game. Do you know how many that is?

Last edited:

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
That is if Bandai allows Sakurai to even have more than 10 songs from Digimon. Some companies have different visions and policies, and just because one company allowed Sakurai to put 50 songs in Smash doesn't mean another one will do the same. I very much doubt Agumon will be getting more than what they usually give and stay equal to the rest of the pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm fine with 10, as long as we still get stuff from the most recent games.

Even if Agumon doesn't get in the pass, he'll probably show up at some point down the line.

I think that Agumon is more likely to get in than KOS-MOS, but some people on the general speculation thread are obsessed with the latter.
It's the whole mentality of a DLC female character being a requirement. It's gotten a bit annoying, honestly.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I want DLC female characters, but I don't think that it's a requirement. Agumon can bring some cool new things to the table.
At this point I think that post-Fighter's Pass the most likely female DLC characters would be Byleth & Akira Howard. But of course both of these would probably use the male skin as the default. Jill Valentine was recently culled after being deconfirmed hard yesterday. Although Reimu would be amusing to see added, even though westerners would be completely confused by the character's existence.

Although as you said, Sakurai cares more about the character being fun to play as at the end of the day, even if their series isn't the most well-known. That's why I think Agumon bringing in a digivolution mechanic to his character would be a fantastic addition to Smash. It would also help show people more how Digimon differs from Pokemon as well. It's a common complaint that many misinformed individuals have about Digimon, erroneously calling it a "Pokemon knock-off" constantly in order to dismiss it. Sakurai has a good record of giving third party characters a lot of care and faithfulness, so I wouldn't be worried with how he'd design Agumon (Sonic is an exception but that was due to Brawl time-constraints and him being super last-minute to the game). Take a look at Simon Belmont, Mega Man, Terry Bogard, etc, and honestly they're some of the most faithfully designed characters in the game. So not only do I have faith that Agumon would be done justice by Sakurai if he's ever included, but adding Digimon to Smash would definitely help the series gain some much needed mainstream recognition these days.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
At this point I think that post-Fighter's Pass the most likely female DLC characters would be Byleth & Akira Howard. But of course both of these would probably use the male skin as the default. Jill Valentine was recently culled after being deconfirmed hard yesterday. Although Reimu would be amusing to see added, even though westerners would be completely confused by the character's existence.

Although as you said, Sakurai cares more about the character being fun to play as at the end of the day, even if their series isn't the most well-known. That's why I think Agumon bringing in a digivolution mechanic to his character would be a fantastic addition to Smash. It would also help show people more how Digimon differs from Pokemon as well. It's a common complaint that many misinformed individuals have about Digimon, erroneously calling it a "Pokemon knock-off" constantly in order to dismiss it. Sakurai has a good record of giving third party characters a lot of care and faithfulness, so I wouldn't be worried with how he'd design Agumon (Sonic is an exception but that was due to Brawl time-constraints and him being super last-minute to the game). Take a look at Simon Belmont, Mega Man, Terry Bogard, etc, and honestly they're some of the most faithfully designed characters in the game. So not only do I have faith that Agumon would be done justice by Sakurai if he's ever included, but adding Digimon to Smash would definitely help the series gain some much needed mainstream recognition these days.
I do think that Agumon getting in would help the series gain some much needed recognition. So many people trash Agumon these days and that's upsetting.

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I mean he can still come with Aiba from Cyber Sleuth, with everything that implies. :ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf: Nothing says Agumon would arrive by himself.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I don't see it likely being the Cyber Sleuth protags getting in Smash, as someone who thoroughly loved the game. Much like how we didn't get any Monster Hunter rep or how :ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf: are the sole human representation in Ultimate (none of the other humans are spirits, for example) I think Bandai would much rather focus on showcasing the Digimon themselves as creatures rather than being partnered with their tamer who likely serves as a cosmetic purpose when the Trainer's at least allowed to change between the Pokemon. It's kinda like how Pikachu was in Smash 64 without the presence of trainers. That's not to say the Aiba trainers aren't as iconic as Red and they aren't even offered to be tamers of Agumon, that's Nokia instead. Agumon's most iconic partner is definitely Tai but since he is owned by Toei, that would rule him out.

However, ignoring all what I said, yeah, I would absolutely love the Aiba trainers showing up in Smash!

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Oh man, I would love them cameoing in whatever stage they come up with, maybe even Cyberspace Eden as well! But yeah a lot of censoring is required to make Nokia and Kyoko work, lmao

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh man, I would love them cameoing in whatever stage they come up with, maybe even Cyberspace Eden as well! But yeah a lot of censoring is required to make Nokia and Kyoko work, lmao
it would be a pretty cool stage. censoring has only stopped sakurai the one time

Graizen

Smash Champion
Together with Agumon we would have a Spirit Board for the Digimon franchise! I tried to create one, what did you think?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Weird to have Jijimon as an Advanced spirit while Guilmon, Veemon and Gabumon all are Ace spirits despite being 3 levels lower than Jijimon, either way looks really good!

Last edited:

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Sabi just deconfirmed Lloyd Irving.
Despite that, people still sleep on Agumon and mostly talk about KOS-MOS, Nightmare or even Klonoa of all people, which I don't have a qualm on it as I really don't want Agumon to fall in the leaked and deconfirmed hole.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Weird to have Jijimon as an Advanced spirit while Guilmon, Veemon and Gabumon all are Ace spirits despite being 3 levels lower than Jijimon, either way looks really good!
I think that is a reference to the fact that they are Partner Digimon.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Just remember, there are still more characters coming after FP5. As I've suspected, it increasingly looks like the next character won't be from any of the usual companies (or Nippon Ishi and Falcom, for that matter).
Tales of was deconfirmed
Not Bandai Namco

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Spirit levels don’t really seem to have anything to to do with power levels in the base game

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Oh, I can just imagine the Kuremi spirit battle. White alt Zero Suit Samus.

Giant Black alt Samus reinforcement when ZSS gets KO'd.

Last edited:

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
I've got a Spirit Board for y'all! Do you remember the episode when the DigiDestined first returned home to go after Myotismon? The cards they used to open the gate could be the Spirits.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Something interesting i found

In 2015 there was a Trademark for "Digimon Fighters", this was after Digimon All-Star Rumble was launched
But this trademark have "Pending Status"
And was never used

nono.jpg

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
He said Bandai Namco, so it's not Agumon as well , becouse Bandai is part of it
Such a shame. After Tales of was ruled out, I was routing for Agumon to be the last one to spit all the people gatekeeping him by saying Digimon is an anime, not known for games, and for that great Digi vs Poke title that would of been epic. Here’s hoping for the next season!

Top Bottom