• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Even after being excited for both the characters getting announced, a couple things ran through my mind when it happened:

1. I thought I read from somewhere that trailers like that wouldn't be made anymore(?). It was because they costed a lot of money, so to make two more of those kinds of quality trailers threw me off. Hype, but confused too.

2. Digivolution is the main shtick Agumon will have if the monster was represented well in Smash, right? But would we basically agree that by design, it'd be another comeback-factor rewarding the digimon for getting damaged & hurt? Or would we agree on something different?

Here's what I would want.

If you're going to include Digivolution as the move that makes Agumon Agumon, then make it act differently this time. Instead of being used or applicable for losing or taking too much damage, make it revolve around needing it for rewarding a lead. This was actually talked about in that YT video about Digimon Survive, where when you defeat an enemy, your meter of digivolution was extended to last longer. The more inputs that hit successively, the greater the meter rises too.

Just a start. I still haven't made the video I said I would make, but if anything, I'd want Digivolution to work like that instead of the generic Aura carbon-copy mechanic that's become the norm now.
Thats a good Idea however only if it can also be charged in some way as not everyone can land hits as well as the next person. If half of a character is locked behind playing well it would only be played by really good smash players but only if he was high teir.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Thats a good Idea however only if it can also be charged in some way as not everyone can land hits as well as the next person. If half of a character is locked behind playing well it would only be played by really good smash players but only if he was high teir.
Oh they'd find a way to balance the idea of it so that it appeals to all skill levels (I hope).

The thing is with this day 'n age is that, I'm just tired of seeing the reward coming with losing, & if you play well, you won't get your power-spike that quickly. Characters that utilize this kind of thing either get a creeping boost, an instant boost, or empowered resources that all warrant respect.

Digivolution would of course require a meter of some sort that can rise & fall. It'd be like Arsene, where, if Agumon has accumulated meter, then they'd opt for evolution at whichever stage(s) they choose. That could be a directional input to signify which form they wanted, since there might be preference to which level they want. And like Arsene, once evolved, the meter begins to gradually decrease. However, the higher level Agumon digivolves into, the faster that the bar would decrease. If say we said that the idea was to be Grey → MetalGrey → WarGrey for example, then Greymon's form would decrease the meter by ~0.06 units per second. And WarGreymon would expend the meter by ~1.22 units per second. Makes sense.

If you use normals, per-say, grounded normals or aerials, they'd fill the meter by a fixed amount. But the idea I like is if the meter is filled much faster when using Specials like Pepper Breath. But he'd be a charge-base character in that stronger specials reward more meter than standard normals.

In Season 4, Frontiers, the tamers did something called "Slide Evolution". Standard digivolution doesn't work like that, but, something can be arranged so that Agumon could transition from Agu → MetalGrey → Grey for the sake of decision-making & meter management in the same similar kind of fashion. This way, it'd open up more ways to play the character rather than just Agumon blowing the load off with going from 0 to 100. We could have possibilities like 1 → 2 → 4, or 1 → 3 → 2 → 4 when enough meter was acquired.

1 = Rookie / Agumon

2 = Champion / Greymon

3 = Ultimate / MetalGreymon

4 = Mega / WarGreymon

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Oh they'd find a way to balance the idea of it so that it appeals to all skill levels (I hope).

The thing is with this day 'n age is that, I'm just tired of seeing the reward coming with losing, & if you play well, you won't get your power-spike that quickly. Characters that utilize this kind of thing either get a creeping boost, an instant boost, or empowered resources that all warrant respect.

Digivolution would of course require a meter of some sort that can rise & fall. It'd be like Arsene, where, if Agumon has accumulated meter, then they'd opt for evolution at whichever stage(s) they choose. That could be a directional input to signify which form they wanted, since there might be preference to which level they want. And like Arsene, once evolved, the meter begins to gradually decrease. However, the higher level Agumon digivolves into, the faster that the bar would decrease. If say we said that the idea was to be Grey → MetalGrey → WarGrey for example, then Greymon's form would decrease the meter by ~0.06 units per second. And WarGreymon would expend the meter by ~1.22 units per second. Makes sense.

If you use normals, per-say, grounded normals or aerials, they'd fill the meter by a fixed amount. But the idea I like is if the meter is filled much faster when using Specials like Pepper Breath. But he'd be a charge-base character in that stronger specials reward more meter than standard normals.

In Season 4, Frontiers, the tamers did something called "Slide Evolution". Standard digivolution doesn't work like that, but, something can be arranged so that Agumon could transition from Agu → MetalGrey → Grey for the sake of decision-making & meter management in the same similar kind of fashion. This way, it'd open up more ways to play the character rather than just Agumon blowing the load off with going from 0 to 100. We could have possibilities like 1 → 2 → 4, or 1 → 3 → 2 → 4 when enough meter was acquired.

1 = Rookie / Agumon

2 = Champion / Greymon

3 = Ultimate / MetalGreymon

4 = Mega / WarGreymon
Honestly if Agumon was put in the game I would expect WarGreymon wouldn't appear. Both Greymon and MetalGreymon use the same model (with a little differences) so it would be much easier to implement. I'd personally hope for the final smash to be SkullGreymon, loved skullgreymon in the anime such a cool evolution.
I think the evolution mechanic should maybe work in steps or two bars. Fill one bar and you evolve to Greymon fill 2 and you can go straight to metalgreymon. However if you go to greymon you can still fill up the gauge and evolve into metal its just slightly harder. I could see this being especially possible now that we've seen Hero who has multiple different specials so its possible for Agumon to do this to with his evolutions.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Assuming they don't use the Egg animation to fastly go into Wargreymon(if that's going to be used), I'm thinking the Data Squad Double Warp Digivolution works too. Just quickly spins around with the character immediately showing up. Not unlike Zelda/Sheik's transformation. I still prefer the Egg to make everything load faster. And it's still accurate to the series.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I would genuinely prefer a wireframe transformation like the first few Digimon games, feels quicker to the punch too.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
EDIT: SWEET! The images can be uploaded now.

Agumon HUB idea ↓
AgumonDamageMeterIdea.jpg

You could have it to where something can go above Agumon's portrait, like this with data bars, or something like a digi-egg that can go there instead. But honestly? There's a lot of HUB ideas they could use with increments, like how there could be multiple bars, or how there could be lines that separate the amount of meter stored in the digi-egg. And that a full-glowing digi-egg means you can go straight to the maximum level of digivolution.

And yeah, something like a bright light enveloping the Digimon while transforming works for me. Or they can become an egg & transform that way too. Paying homage to the old games with wireframe animations works as well.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion

Agumon HUB idea ↓
View attachment 228067

You could have it to where something can go above Agumon's portrait, like this with data bars, or something like a digi-egg that can go there instead. But honestly? There's a lot of HUB ideas they could use with increments, like how there could be multiple bars, or how there could be lines that separate the amount of meter stored in the digi-egg. And that a full-glowing digi-egg means you can go straight to the maximum level of digivolution.

And yeah, something like a bright light enveloping the Digimon while transforming works for me. Or they can become an egg & transform that way too. Paying homage to the old games with wireframe animations works as well.
Love this! Congrats!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Super thanks Graizen.

Also, I've come to the thought that even though I'd like data bars to be what they'd decide on using for the extra element for Agumon's meta in Smash, it will probably be more in line with the choice to be a Digi-egg separated by lines in some form of meter to use for Digivolution. That, or something more in line with the V-pet games with a heart for happiness, or something from the pet simulator kinds of games.

Plenty of great ideas came about from this thread, so I'm just really excited to see what they would actually roll with using. 'Cus again, if the digivice in my idea image I made wasn't so far apart from the portrait, then it'd be neat-looking & sense-worthy to see data bars appear atop from the digivice for homage n' what not. Nevertheless, I expect a digi-egg, or V-Pet symbol. Those are pretty likely if they chose Agumon as a newcomer guest fighter.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Super thanks Graizen.

Also, I've come to the thought that even though I'd like data bars to be what they'd decide on using for the extra element for Agumon's meta in Smash, it will probably be more in line with the choice to be a Digi-egg separated by lines in some form of meter to use for Digivolution. That, or something more in line with the V-pet games with a heart for happiness, or something from the pet simulator kinds of games.

Plenty of great ideas came about from this thread, so I'm just really excited to see what they would actually roll with using. 'Cus again, if the digivice in my idea image I made wasn't so far apart from the portrait, then it'd be neat-looking & sense-worthy to see data bars appear atop from the digivice for homage n' what not. Nevertheless, I expect a digi-egg, or V-Pet symbol. Those are pretty likely if they chose Agumon as a newcomer guest fighter.
My only problem with Digivice is the fact that it was born from Animes.
Despite being a significant part of Digimon, I think for Smash they should use V-Pet.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
My only problem with Digivice is the fact that it was born from Animes.
Despite being a significant part of Digimon, I think for Smash they should use V-Pet.
In Digimon World Jijimon askes the Player if they have a Digivice. As we all know, or we all should know, Digimon World predates the anime by 1 month and 10 days or 38 days. If I remember correctly, the Digivice is supposed to be based on the Digital Monster Virtual Pet anyway.
"The Digivices also have a meter that shows how close the Digimon is to digivolving; the height of the meter is related to the severity of the situation." That is directly quoted from www.digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Digivice

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Digivices themselves were originally introduced in the V-Tamer Manga, which predated both Digimon World and the original Adventure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess that Ultimate's sales have helped to secure more than enough funding for extra CGI trailers. That, and Joker's trailer saving on money by being 2D-only.

That being said, while the json leak hasn't entirely been disproved yet, it's looking a little less likely; the bear and bird were in it, yet Crono is a no-show. Might be a case of a lucky guess like with the infamous Grinch leak.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I guess that Ultimate's sales have helped to secure more than enough funding for extra CGI trailers. That, and Joker's trailer saving on money by being 2D-only.

That being said, while the json leak hasn't entirely been disproved yet, the bear and bird were in it and got confirmed as newcomers, yet Crono is a no-show. Might be a case of a lucky guess like with the infamous Grinch leak.
It's possible that Reimu and Agumon are the last two DLC characters, but we won't know until they're revealed.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
It's possible that Reimu and Agumon are the last two DLC characters, but we won't know until they're revealed.
I've been seeing this name thrown around a lot but who exactly is Reimu? Reimu is the only name I hear quite regularly that I don't recognize from a game franchise.
I hope I don't sound condescending or anything but I just want to know why people what her in smash I guess. So far the roster has been comprised of character (minus Joker) that I recognize as a primarily Nintendo gamer.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've been seeing this name thrown around a lot but who exactly is Reimu? Reimu is the only name I hear quite regularly that I don't recognize from a game franchise.
I hope I don't sound condescending or anything but I just want to know why people what her in smash I guess. So far the roster has been comprised of character (minus Joker) that I recognize as a primarily Nintendo gamer.
Reimu Hakurei is from a Japanese indie game called Touhou Project. If you want to learn more about her and her franchise, here's her support thread. https://smashboards.com/threads/shrine-maiden-of-paradise-reimu-hakurei-touhou-project.454095/

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Reimu Hakurei is from a Japanese indie game called Touhou Project. If you want to learn more about her and her franchise, here's her support thread. https://smashboards.com/threads/shrine-maiden-of-paradise-reimu-hakurei-touhou-project.454095/
Thanks, seems like a cool character. I'd appreciate more female representation in smash as well. Unfortunately for this DLC she seems a little niche compared to what has come so far and other options. However if Nintendo wants to put in a character they might not necessarily have to pay heaps of money to get in Reimu is the one.

I think Reimu's situation is similar to Agumon really. Both of the characters are unique and have a large fanbase however both aren't as popular or as good marketing for Nintendo as say a Resident Evil character or Crash Bandicoot. Though with Banjo's inclusion I would be more inclined to think they have a slightly higher chance.

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
The Digivices themselves were originally introduced in the V-Tamer Manga, which predated both Digimon World and the original Adventure.
Did you miss this part ("If I remember correctly, the Digivice is supposed to be based on the Digital Monster Virtual Pet anyway.") of my post?
A New Power, "Digivice 01" (Original Air Date July 21, 1999) vs Adrift? Island of Adventure! (Original Airdate March 7, 1999) vs Digimon World (Release Date January 28, 1999)

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Agumon HUB idea ↓
View attachment 228067

That's a very nice Agumon HUB

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You what would be the best fake-out trailer for Agumon?

The end of the Nintendo Direct fades to a CGI trailer (not actual gameplay footage) showing a typical Pokémon battle with any of the playable cast causing fans to groan in annoyance and anger, like seriously we’re getting an 11th ****ing Pokémon? No surprise they’d shill Sword and Shield...

But nope, suddenly before the two Pokemon lash out....

PEPPER BREATH!”

“Agumon hacks into battle!” cue gameplay footage.

Graizen

Smash Champion
You what would be the best fake-out trailer for Agumon?

The end of the Nintendo Direct fades to a CGI trailer (not actual gameplay footage) showing a typical Pokémon battle with any of the playable cast causing fans to groan in annoyance and anger, like seriously we’re getting an 11th ****ing Pokémon? No surprise they’d shill Sword and Shield...

But nope, suddenly before the two Pokemon lash out....

PEPPER BREATH!”

“Agumon hacks into battle!” cue gameplay footage.
That would be amazing!

But imagine Pokémon Trainer trying to capture Agumon xD

Graizen

Smash Champion
Some news
D9oLCiDUIAArlOl.jpg

The event will have a big focus on Agumon
They want to show the importance of Agumon for the franchise

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just read that the other 6 Great Demon Lords got X-Antibody forms. That's neat.

In addition, somebody finally uploaded a clean version of the dub theme. Which is still my favorite digivolution theme. Next one is pretty much the Digivolve To Ultimate variation from Adventure 1's dub.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I just read that the other 6 Great Demon Lords got X-Antibody forms. That's neat.

In addition, somebody finally uploaded a clean version of the dub theme. Which is still my favorite digivolution theme. Next one is pretty much the Digivolve To Ultimate variation from Adventure 1's dub.
Not just that , but its happening a BIG event in Digimon involving this!

The Manga Digimon Chronicle is returning with 2 new Chapters just for that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Some news
View attachment 228878

The event will have a big focus on Agumon
They want to show the importance of Agumon for the franchise
Interesting, it definitely could mean nothing but this is a good thing to keep note of!

After all....there’s many ways they could promote Survive the same way they promoted Echoes of an Elusive Age....

Graizen

Smash Champion
Interesting, it definitely could mean nothing but this is a good thing to keep note of!

After all....there’s many ways they could promote Survive the same way they promoted Echoes of an Elusive Age....
We need to find people to atend the Digimon Panel at Anime Expo
They will reply to public questions
We need people to ask about Agumon in Smash

Graizen

Smash Champion
So
Something interesting

The Bandai Namco image about the Anime Expo Digimon Panel is this one

D9oLCiDUIAArlOl.jpg

And the Toei Animation image is this one

D9tLDMKUIAAPenR.jpg

Can you spot the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So
Something interesting

The Bandai Namco image about the Anime Expo Digimon Panel is this one

View attachment 228985

And the Toei Animation image is this one

View attachment 228986

Can you spot the difference?
well they are advertising two different things, a panel about the future and a meet and greet so it makes sense that theyre in different places at different times

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why remove Agumon?
i dont think thered be any particular reason, i mean the panel said that they would be talking about agumon's importance to the franchise right? and hes on the the panel advertisement

it could easily just be mistake when they were making the second poster

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've been mentioned by you! Does that make me special?

Anyway, I saw people were already asking, so I decided not to ask, as I don't want the fanbase to come off the wrong way. Still, at least there's demand.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Uh, I’m not really sure.

The most they would answer is either a soft deconfirmation or dodge it like a possible NDA.

I’ll try to ask but it’s gonna be vague instead of a straight “Is Agumon in Smash?”

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Uh, I’m not really sure.

The most they would answer is either a soft deconfirmation or dodge it like a possible NDA.

I’ll try to ask but it’s gonna be vague instead of a straight “Is Agumon in Smash?”
i tried asking about crossovers in general

Top Bottom