• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bringer of Sin & Punishment: Saki Amamiya for Smash Switch (Happy 19th Anniversary to the Sin & Punishment Franchise)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Saki Shoots and Dices into Battle

Who is Saki?

Saki is the protagonist of the N64 cult classic Sin & Punishment, which was developed by the now defunct Treasure. The original game served as an arcade style shooter with a hint of close range action, which served as at the purpose behind his trademark gunsword Cannon Sword. He's a part of the Savior Group that sought to bring down the corrupt planetary government the Aren Volunteers. He also has to deal with the mutant menace "The Ruffians" along the way, which would lead to his fateful transformation into a larger one. Thus leaving the latter half of the game to his Airan to face the government while he's destroying everything as this mindless beast. However, the game ends with a particularly weird note that relates to this new form that he gains.

What is significant about Sin & Punishment? Anything in particular he can do? Why him of all characters?

While Sin & Punishment is far from a successful game, it did have a cult following and foresaw new success as a Virtual Console import for the Wii. This eventually led to Treasure working on a sequel or the same platform titled Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, which takes place years after the events of the first game focusing on his son Isa Jo. On top of that, he appears as an Assist Trophy in the Super Smash Bros series twice. Sakurai is vocally fond of the series, stating that Saki would have been a good fit and basing the land combat for the Kid Icarus Uprisng reboot on Sin & Punishment's gameplay. All that's far from making him likely, but still rather notable.

Even then, Saki is a highly athletic individual that can provide a new series of gameplay with good jumps and quick movement. Like the original Sin & Punishment, I can see him being a pushdown character with a heavy focus on shooting from afar and using strong male combat when closed in on a target. There can even be the incorporation of a targeting system to allow him to aim and shoot in any direction around the environment. This arcade style shooting would be a way to make himself stand out as a fighter.

Moveset

To be added

Successors of the Earth
Aussie the Shinobi
Xeno VII
Rider Gwen
ZestyÑ
Yomi's Biggest Fan
smashkirby
RetroGamersGuru
Megadoomer
NonspecificGuy
Freduardo
CardiganBoy
Windstar
shined-echi
SSBCandidates
Strider_123
ETFruitNinja
CardStealer
SEGAGameBoy
Golden Icarus
NonSpecificGuy
~TCT~Phantom
Dixie Kong
RileyXy1
Calane
JMac52
XWarriorX
BronzeGreekGod
~ Valkyrie ~
Oasis S
Pizza Robo
Nauzgo
Dharakjoo
VexTheHex
Homelessvagrant
FlyBoy
KirbyWorshiper2435
airConditioner
RandomAce
Saer2k
KoopaSaki

ArcanaXIII

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still support. The first Sin & Punishment was a fun game and I've enjoyed what I've played of Star Successor so far.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I support. Always liked the idea of an anime gunfighter in Smash.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Added every single one of you.

At least Saki still has a following despite things looking grim for him. He definitely would be an excellent fit in Smash and so would Isa Jo to be honest.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's the damn shame that Treasure is dead (if the rumors are to believed). But it's no real surprise since they've been very silent after Gaist Crusher bombed twice (which was their last "major" IP).

But I'm still willing to support anything Sin & Punishment related at this point (even a stage at best with some tracks).

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's the damn shame that Treasure is dead (if the rumors are to believed). But it's no real surprise since they've been very silent after Gaist Crusher bombed twice (which was their last "major" IP).

But I'm still willing to support anything Sin & Punishment related at this point (even a stage at best with some tracks).
Same. Treasure always made some quality games that were a love letter to classic arcade games. But that sort of niche can't be around forever hence their attempt to make a kid friendly action series to sell toys that only resulted in failure. Not even Capcom's promotion, an anime, and Oda's involvement could save it. Sin & Punishment and its sequel are hidden gems with excellent gameplay and a quite thought provoking plot.

Added you to the list by the way.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Maybe it gets the ole Sakurai revival? He hinted at some kind of shooter type game.
Now that you mentioned it, he did tease some toys for something on his page. Knowing they are usually done for references for his development, you may be right.

I would definitely be excited if he does go back to revive Sin & Punishment. Hell, Uprising could have been a test drive just to see if there is interest in that type of gameplay (arcade style shooting and close combat). I'll promise not to get too hyped though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Funny thing, I thought that was all hinting at a Custom Robo revival. Huh, guess it's just me...
It easily could be that too. We just don't know until he speaks out on it.

Three aren't many action figures to be used that actually represents Saki, so there's that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Funny thing, I thought that was all hinting at a Custom Robo revival. Huh, guess it's just me...
I thought so too, to be honest, it's just that this is kind of in the same vein.

I think it'd be cool to see Nintendo try to tackle the FPS genre, and I think a Sin and Punishment reboot (or a ridiculous twist on Duck Hunt) would be great fits for it.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I know that I'm very late to the support threads, but Saki is a top 3 pick for support from me. The games are too much fun to pass over. Not to mention his gunfighting would balance out well against swordfighters (pay no mind to me using a sword character btw).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd love to see a Sin & Punishment character in Smash! Not sure whether Saki or Isa would work better, though.

Saki's certainly more recognizable, given his two assist trophy appearances, but Isa seems like he'd have more to offer, at least as far as mobility is concerned (then again, I haven't finished Star Successor since that game is freaking hard, so I don't know if Saki has more to work with than he does).

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd love to see a Sin & Punishment character in Smash! Not sure whether Saki or Isa would work better, though.

Saki's certainly more recognizable, given his two assist trophy appearances, but Isa seems like he'd have more to offer, at least as far as mobility is concerned (then again, I haven't finished Star Successor since that game is freaking hard, so I don't know if Saki has more to work with than he does).
You are right, Isa definitely has more to offer than his father coming from someone who did beat the game. He not only has a jetpack for for that, which is a new gimmick introduced for the franchise,

but his Ruffian form can fly as well. And I'd argue that his Ruffian form is far larger and stronger too if we compare the obstacles he's faced in that form (A smaller Earth replica by Achi versus Dekko's God Form.). Though Kachi (Achi's reincarnation) olhonestly did help in the fight by being your shield during the final act of their galactic fight.

Saki definitely has recognizabily (being a notable Wii VC import and an Assist Trophy) and seniority going for him however. In the end of the day, I would be fine with both if they do get the chance (assuming Sin & Punishment's IP is taken by someone else than the now defunct Treasure.).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The support list is up to date. Hopefully I'm not missing out on anyone else important. Was hoping for the Saki vs Isa discussion to occur. So here's some points to address. In a realm where we were to receive one of the Successors, both of them have their merits and importances to the series as father and son respectively.

Saki is the very first protagonist akin to Marth, except far from big. I'd put him on the same level as Isaac, but Golden Sun is a far bigger classic in comparison. He's the first character you play with, the main star of the game, and

The first of the family to really become a Ruffian long before Isa did. The complete differences however is that he was a rampaging beast that nearly destroyed Tokyo as opposed to how Isa gained complete sentience over his new form.

Isa is a new face and the Star Successir of Sin & Punishment's first and last sequel. He's just as serious as his father, if not more developed as a character in comparison. His arsenal is bigger too, like a jetpack for flight and being able to trade blows with Dekko in hand to hand combat. And let's not forget him being able to tame a giant sabertooth sand tiger Keeper at one point. Naturally this happened sincevtye dev team was allowed to do more with the character, unlike Saki who gets far less playable roles than Achi for plot related reasons in the original.

We could get Saki as the main playable character a la promotion with Isa as his replacement, or Isa can be chosen because of recency while Saki retains his AT role. Like Hong, I wouldn't be extremely picky over either character because they are both characters that provide us with crazy moments and good gameplay for both Sin & Punishment titles.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I supported Saki during Smash 4. I most definitely support him now.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I supported Saki during Smash 4. I most definitely support him now.
Added.

While the future for Sin & Punishment is uncertain, it won't stop either of us from supporting him. The best thing we can do is hope anything developer or producer might want to bring back a new S&P game.

Or the unlikely, yet worst case scenario: Sakurai bias.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'd like sin and punishment, kid Icarus, and starfox to have a super rail shooter crossover.

Also support.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'd like sin and punishment, kid Icarus, and starfox to have a super rail shooter crossover.

Also support.
Well that's a very ambitious idea. It makes me wonder how Fox and Pit would react to Saki when he

Transforms into a giant Ruffian

I can imagine the Arwing and Pit shooting in this segment being very cool.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Dude add me to the list!

Sin & Punishment is one of the Nintendo franchises i would love to see revived the most, while i've only played Star Successor i really enjoyed that game, very underrated.

I've been having this idea that it would be really interesting to see Sin & Punishment as a hack n' slash game, maybe keeping rail shooter gameplay for bosses, i think a developer like Platinum could make wonders with this.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Dude add me to the list!

Sin & Punishment is one of the Nintendo franchises i would love to see revived the most, while i've only played Star Successor i really enjoyed that game, very underrated.

I've been having this idea that it would be really interesting to see Sin & Punishment as a hack n' slash game, maybe keeping rail shooter gameplay for bosses, i think a developer like Platinum could make wonders with this.
Star Successor is definitely a great "successor" from the original Sin & Punishment. A grander story, more bosses, setbacks for flight in levels, and two playable characters. Definitely afantastic gem from Treasure that never got the praise it deserved.

That would be interesting. A primarily hack n' slash game with a bigger focus on the physical combat would at least make sure the swords isn't undermined by all the shooting. Sure the series was always a shooter, but you do have a point that actual swordsmanship is underplayed in comparison for both games. At least you would get that shooter experience back for the boss battles since they are too good.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Star Successor is definitely a great "successor" from the original Sin & Punishment. A grander story, more bosses, setbacks for flight in levels, and two playable characters. Definitely afantastic gem from Treasure that never got the praise it deserved.

That would be interesting. A primarily hack n' slash game with a bigger focus on the physical combat would at least make sure the swords isn't undermined by all the shooting. Sure the series was always a shooter, but you do have a point that actual swordsmanship is underplayed in comparison for both games. At least you would get that shooter experience back for the boss battles since they are too good.
Yeah i really liked the post-apocalyptic atmosphere and the soundtrack too.
I think the transition from shooter to hack n slash could be quite smooth and wouldn't be as risky "experimental" as other games. that change genre.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I feel there's a lot of ways this series can go, hopefully Nintendo sees it the same way.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's that time of year again. So E3 should be coming up.

If you see a leak that mentions a third Sin & Punishment for he Switch, ignore it at all costs. It's just one of the countless fake 4Chan leaks that happen for attention.

Thank you.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's that time of year again. So E3 should be coming up.

If you see a leak that mentions a third Sin & Punishment for he Switch, ignore it at all costs. It's just one of the countless fake 4Chan leaks that happen for attention.

Thank you.
What was it about?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What was it about?
It was a leak from someone who supposedly seen all the displays for Nintendo's E3 floor showcase, when things like that are installed the day before the show happens

He mentioned there would be a TMS port, Wave Race + Pilotwings crossover, some Super Maro Odyssey power-ups, Fire Emblem Warriors reveals (Camilla and Tharja), Monster Hunter XX, and Sonic stuff in addition to Sin & Punisment Ascent. No Smash, F-Zero, Metroid, Pikmin, or Animal Crossing.

All from 4Chan.

Take it as you will.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It was a leak from someone who supposedly seen all the displays for Nintendo's E3 floor showcase, when things like that are installed the day before the show happens

He mentioned there would be a TMS port, Wave Race + Pilotwings crossover, some Super Maro Odyssey power-ups, Fire Emblem Warriors reveals (Camilla and Tharja), Monster Hunter XX, and Sonic stuff in addition to Sin & Punisment Ascent. No Smash, F-Zero, Metroid, Pikmin, or Animal Crossing.

All from 4Chan.

Take it as you will.
Did they put any effort into it? I don't care if it's fake, I just like the ideas. I hate when they just throw a name out there.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Did they put any effort into it? I don't care if it's fake, I just like the ideas. I hate when they just throw a name out there.
It was easily debunked soon as some people who actually work for E3 or went there (complete with pictures) to prove that he was talking out of his behind in the same thread.

As good as these games sound, this leak was like the others. Too good to be true.

At least this opens the possibility of one thing, that the IP would be trusted with other developers instead of Treasure. That's one good thing to take out of this.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd be pretty hyped if Saki got in.
I can picture his Neutral Special to spawn a recticle that you can move around, where he's constantly shooting (like how Bayonetta just keeps firing). Maybe while he's firing, the L+R buttons make him move left/right instead of Roll-dodging, to get that S&P feel!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'd be pretty hyped if Saki got in.
I can picture his Neutral Special to spawn a recticle that you can move around, where he's constantly shooting (like how Bayonetta just keeps firing). Maybe while he's firing, the L+R buttons make him move left/right instead of Roll-dodging, to get that S&P feel!
That's actually a cool idea. Having his shooting control just like the game (very freely with the button being held) would definitely fit Saki's playstyle alot.

And I'll add you to the list.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wait, shined-echi is back? So many old faces are returning.

How are things going? You intend to make a support topic for Mike Jones?

Anyways, there's enough reasons for Saki to have full control of his shooting given the genre he's from and how it should set him apart. Being able to dodge while shooting is a another Sin & Punishment trait that would work well in a game like Smash. We have to make him as acrobatic and skilled as possible with his gunplay to make him a fun character.

Though the real obstacle is getting the ok from Treasure (who is more or less dead at this point).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wait, shined-echi is back? So many old faces are returning.

How are things going? You intend to make a support topic for Mike Jones?

Anyways, there's enough reasons for Saki to have full control of his shooting given the genre he's from and how it should set him apart. Being able to dodge while shooting is a another Sin & Punishment trait that would work well in a game like Smash. We have to make him as acrobatic and skilled as possible with his gunplay to make him a fun character.

Though the real obstacle is getting the ok from Treasure (who is more or less dead at this point).
Hey! Pretty good! It's been a while. I always miss these threads, and I'm glad I can be part of them again.

I'm not feeling up for making a Mike Jones' support thread lately. Even if StarTropics made the cut for the NES MINI.
If I manage to find the old thread, and move all of its images to another server (photobucket no longer works for me), I might get around to doing it again.

For now, I'm only focusing on ONE character.

-

I think that the thing with Treasure is, in the past, they designed games FOR specific companies.
Like for example, Dynamite Headdy, in the title screen it says:

So what I mean is, the property of Dynamite Headdy still belongs to SEGA.
Maybe, that's the case with Sin & Punishment as well? Especially because they haven't released a S&P for any other company.
(Besides, Saki is already in the game as a AT. I don't think there's a legal gap between having him NPC and PC. It's technically the same in that department, if you ask me).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think that the thing with Treasure is, in the past, they designed games FOR specific companies.
Like for example, Dynamite Headdy, in the title screen it says:

So what I mean is, the property of Dynamite Headdy still belongs to SEGA.
Maybe, that's the case with Sin & Punishment as well? Especially because they haven't released a S&P for any other company.
(Besides, Saki is already in the game as a AT. I don't think there's a legal gap between having him NPC and PC. It's technically the same in that department, if you ask me).
Yeah, good idea. At least it's assuring to know that Nintendo still owns the rights to the Sin & Punishment universe and can do anything they want with them without Treasure's help. Nothing came out it for several years due to the dormancy of the IP.

There was one obviously fake E3 leak that featured a Sin & Punishment 3 (which we've talked about around the time). So it could be Retro that can revive the IP or even Sakurai himself (assuming that he's a big fan of Sin & Punishment). I'm honestly open for anyone reviving the IP at this point, even if Saki snit the main character. At least that would help his chances as a Smash fighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom