• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BrawlBox Model Replacement Guide! (0.1)

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
This guide is intended to educate people on how to use BrawlBox to swap out normal character models with new ones from Assist Trophies, Subspace enemies, and any models that you can think of. This version is unrevised, but it gets down the basics. I will create a more updated version later.

Let's start by deciding on which model we want. I will post pictures later to help out.

First, we should start by getting the files that we need. I personally use this mediafire here in order to get all of my files, although if you have another source, feel free to use it.

Here is a quick guide for selecting your model:
1. Normal characters are located in the file called "fighter"

2. You are most likely going to need the four main files "Fit<character>.pac" "Fit<character>00.pac", "Fit<character>00.pcs", and "Fit<character>Motion(Etc).pac". The last one will have the Etc attached unless it is an Alloy.

3. Assist trophies are located in the folder called item. A good chunk of them have Japanese names, so you may have to do some searching before you find them. Pokemon are located in these folders too, but they are not always recommended since they have limited animations and bones.

4. Subspace characters are located in the folder called "stage" and then inside that, "adventure". Every enemy will be inside the actual stage data, except for Primid, and Auroros, which are inside the adventure_common.pac file. This means you might have to do a lot of searching for the right enemy.

5. Stage characters are another possibility, but they don't always work. Try it out though.

6. Most of these types of characters will not work on top of standard characters. Eldiran came up with the theory that the model you are inserting has to have more bones than the original. Instead, you can try putting your model on an Alloy character. These are called Zakoboy, Zakoball, Zakochild, and Zakogirl (Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue respectively).

Now lets start by making sure you have the latest version of Brawl Box. If you don't I suggest you go get it. Start by opening the character that you are going to use to replace the Alloy, or other character.

Just make sure that you have the right model, by opening the nodes and folders until you find the model (Usually in a folder called ModelData, or 3DModelData), and right click and press preview (CTRL+P for you shortcutters). You will see a really zoomed in model. Just press down and hold the minus key (-) on your keyboard to zoom out. If everything looks good, then close the model preview window, and once again right click the model data. Either click Export, or hit (CTRL+E). Make sure that the file extension is right when exporting it. It should be mdl0. If it is brres, you need to click on the actual model file. Export it to somewhere you will be able to find and access it quickly.

Now, you are also going to need the texture data. Textures are usually found right beneath the model, but there are some exceptions. Instead of exporting every file inside separately, you can instead click on the red file called "TextureData[0]" (Usually), and export that to the same place you exported your model.

Now, if you feel up to it, you can also export all of the animation data, or else when you try to play with it in game, you might get a mangled mess, or T pose. Go ahead and export that if you feel like it, or you can come back once you are sure the model is working.

Alright, now it is time to open up your character files. In the case of something like Yellow Alloy, these files would be called "FitZakoChild00.pac" and "FitZakoChild00.pcs". You need both of these files, or else it will not work.

Start by finding your mdl0 file, much like before, but instead of exporting it, you want to right click, and press replace (CTRL+R). Find the mdl0 file that you just exported from the other model, and choose that. If you try to preview the model, it will not work however.

To solve this, you need to get the textures. Do the same thing. Right click the brres file (The red one called TextureData[0]), and click replace. Replace it with your textures that you exported earlier.

If you have done it correctly, you should now be able to preview your model. If you can't still, you should probably go back and look everything over.

Now, you can do two things here. You can either test the model in game, or you can add animations to it. If you exported all of those animations earlier, this should be easy. Open up your Motion file (Fit<character>Motion.pac) and simply use replace like you did before, to put in new animations on top of the old ones.

Now if you want to test your model in game, open up your SD card, and go to the same folders where you keep your textures (I will give you the string of folders later). Open up your character's fighter folder (If they don't have one, such as the Alloys, just create one), and put all of your new files into it. If you have done it all right, you should have replaced the model.

Fijoe

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to get all those files without having to upgrade to Mediapro..?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
The model you're inserting has to have more bones than the model you're replacing...?
Well ****, that means Gardevoir's out of the question entirely! ;_;

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Awsome guide! Quick question: How do you check how many bones a model has?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Thanks for this thread Thunder, now if I can ask 1 question, how can I fix the color /model issue as it seems the model (Lyn) takes the color of the stage and also, she seems a bit more taller (as if someone edited the Scale on her).

bcbc

Smash Rookie
Start by finding your mdl0 file, much like before, but instead of exporting it, you want to right click, and press replace (CTRL+R). Find the mdl0 file that you just exported from the other model, and choose that. If you try to preview the model, it will not work however.
what do i open the pac or pcs

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
I think this is why pretty much every single pre-existing model works over Green Alloy

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Has anybody singled out how to get alloy replacements to run properly? Because I'm having one heck of a time with Isaac over the Blue Alloy. Any help would be amazing.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much for this guide Thunderspam!
I'm using it to make a fully working Saki, hopefully I'll get it posted up soon.
I'll be sure to give you credit.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I've been trying to see f it works and i always get the same freeze result. Same for silver and anyone else i try to model swap. IDK if i'm doing something wrong or it just hates me.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Nobody has any successful model swapping over actual characters. We've been using Alloys.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Well thats the thing i can't get them to work over anything. The game just freezes up. I've tried for days I've even redid the editing of the models. IDK what to do and why it's not working.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I think this is why pretty much every single pre-existing model works over Green Alloy
Really? I disagree. (You wanna know how I know? My Wii told me. You know, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.)

Has anybody singled out how to get alloy replacements to run properly? Because I'm having one heck of a time with Isaac over the Blue Alloy. Any help would be amazing.
Yeah, many people (such as myself) have gotten them to run perfectly. Also, someone is doing Isaac already, just so you know. What do you need help with?

Would Shadow's model work over Sonic's?..... or even at all?
I don't think anyone has gotten Shadow's model to work over anyone.

Thanks so much for this guide Thunderspam!
I'm using it to make a fully working Saki, hopefully I'll get it posted up soon.
I'll be sure to give you credit.
Someone is making Saki already.

I've been trying to see f it works and i always get the same freeze result. Same for silver and anyone else i try to model swap. IDK if i'm doing something wrong or it just hates me.
No one in the background of GHZ has worked for anyone.

Nobody has any successful model swapping over actual characters. We've been using Alloys.
Some people have (e.g. Entei over Olimar), not very many, though.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
brawlshifter, I am aware that someone is working on Saki already but I'd like to give it my own shot for my own interests. :p

Also, for anyone interested:
I discovered that you can achieve this effect by replacing individual animation files in an Alloy's animation files.

For example: If you were to copy Marth's Up tilt and replace it over Red Alloy's Up tilt it removes the extra bone pieces. I tested it and it works fine.

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
brawlshifter, I am aware that someone is working on Saki already but I'd like to give it my own shot for my own interests. :p

Also, for anyone interested:

I discovered that you can achieve this effect by replacing individual animation files in an Alloy's animation files.

For example: If you were to copy Marth's Up tilt and replace it over Red Alloy's Up tilt it removes the extra bone pieces. I tested it and it works fine.
Lulz, yeah... you are really on to something new here. This is probably the first thing I learned to do with Brawlbox, and many people have been doing it for full out projects (Primid, Waluigi, Knuckle Joe, Isaac, etc). Oh, and did the fact I mentioned it in the OP tip you off on that as well?

I will probably update this guide with wonderful pictures and diagrams later this month. Think of it as my crappy present to you all, since I don't have anything new to show for Primid... Although I may be posting a very special video of him in the near future...

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Lulz, yeah... you are really on to something new here. This is probably the first thing I learned to do with Brawlbox, and many people have been doing it for full out projects (Primid, Waluigi, Knuckle Joe, Isaac, etc). Oh, and did the fact I mentioned it in the OP tip you off on that as well?
I think he means something else. To be honest, no, I haven't read the OP, but I think he is saying that (this is what I got from it) if you give a normal character all of an Alloys animations except for specials, etc, then a model might load over a normal character. I'll test this later...

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
I think he means something else. To be honest, no, I haven't read the OP, but I think he is saying that (this is what I got from it) if you give a normal character all of an Alloys animations except for specials, etc, then a model might load over a normal character. I'll test this later...
No, that is not what he is saying. He is saying that if you load a regular characters animation onto an Alloy, it works. I am not even sure how loading a regular characters animations on top of an Alloy helps us load our characters off of normal characters. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

Just for kicks and chuckles, take an entire character's Motion Pac, and put it inside an Alloys fighter folder and boot up the game. Works flawlessly, right? Case closed, nothing new was found.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the confusion.
I was simply saying that you can get the same result by giving an Alloy a normal character's animations.
But like Thunderspam mentioned it's been used before, although I don't see it mentioned or explained anywhere.
Not to mention I'm new to this! gosh lol

Speaking of which, I'd really appreciate some help with texture issues. I'm having that problem where the character model loads incorrect textures over it's own.
I'm not sure if this is unique to certain models or what, but it pisses me off!

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
No, that is not what he is saying.
Well, that's what I'm saying. Perhaps...maybe...hmm...I think I'm onto something...

How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.
Who cares:psycho:! I still think I'm onto something here...I call dibs on testing it! I'll try it tomorrow...

Oh, also, you misunderstand what I am doing.

crwys

Smash Cadet
I noticed that if you only replace the given files by an alloy the game will load the model but it is froze in t-stance and can only move left or right in t-stance mode, after you are hit the game freezes shortly after, but when you add more animations and such to the alloy, it freezes before you can even see the stage, eg: adding more animation's, like animation[1], [2], ect.

Still trying to get around this....

Top Bottom