• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Bowser Social Thread

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Playing Bowser seriously again in the local scene, forgot how much fun he is to play against FFers. These mid level spacies think it's free, they are in for a surprise!

:bowser:

Also Bowser has sexiest cosplay. AWOOOOOOGGAAA! :love: Boozer is indeed too cute. confirmed.

Last edited:

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
Playing Bowser seriously again in the local scene, forgot how much fun he is to play against FFers. These mid level spacies think it's free, they are in for a surprise!

:bowser:

Also Bowser has sexiest cosplay. AWOOOOOOGGAAA! :love: Boozer is indeed too cute. confirmed.

Nice man, welcome back! Here's to hoping you get the hardest of reads :D

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I've made the decision to take a break from being a Bowser main. I'll be playing either Ganondorf or Fox until I get better at the game. I've hit a plateau hard, I'm not improving the way I used to, and it's aggravating.
Development of Bowser as a character is still going to be my main focus, because I love Bowser more than any other character, but for the sake of improvement and maintaining my sanity, the switch has to happen. Anybody else feeling this way as well?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I've made the decision to take a break from being a Bowser main. I'll be playing either Ganondorf or Fox until I get better at the game. I've hit a plateau hard, I'm not improving the way I used to, and it's aggravating.
Development of Bowser as a character is still going to be my main focus, because I love Bowser more than any other character, but for the sake of improvement and maintaining my sanity, the switch has to happen. Anybody else feeling this way as well?
I think being a Bowser main is frustrating and near impossible in today's meta. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying, but to use him against every top tier and high tier? That doesn't sound fun at all.....

I dual main G&W and Ganondorf (I use Pikachu when I need a fast viable character), and I play Bowser as a pocket for fun character. The problem with Bowser is that he is really only usable against the Spacies and Falcon IMO. At a high level where the other person knows the MU I don't think it's possible to win (or even get close) with Bowser, but for those 3 I mentioned weirdly enough I think it is possible. Not only that but it can be fun up until a pretty high level of play.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The problem with Bowser is that he is really only usable against the Spacies and Falcon IMO. At a high level where the other person knows the MU I don't think it's possible to win (or even get close) with Bowser, but for those 3 I mentioned weirdly enough I think it is possible. Not only that but it can be fun up until a pretty high level of play.
LMAO Bowser gets destroyed by Falcon though

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
LMAO Bowser gets destroyed by Falcon though
Perhaps it's best that you do stop playing Bowser if that's your opinion on the MU. I mean what's the point if Falcon outright "LMAO destroys" Bowser.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Perhaps it's best that you do stop playing Bowser if that's your opinion on the MU. I mean what's the point if Falcon outright "LMAO destroys" Bowser.
That's just the way it is though. I'll play the MU, I highly enjoy playing it, but he gets bodied. Same goes for, say, the Sheik Bowser MU. Sheik simply destroys Bowser, there's really no denying it.
It isn't being cynical, it's being realistic.

If you play low tiers, you have to have a deep understanding of your character. That includes MUs, and knowing which ones are good, which ones are bad, and which ones are straight up impossible at a high level.

Last edited:

Kalimari

Smash Cadet
I feel ya J$ , for both improving as a competitor and not being eternally frustrated it's good to take breaks and/or play different characters. It's why I main fox tbh, it's way too taxing to play bowser all the time as much as I love the character. By playing other characters you will also learn things about the game you didn't already know and you will grow and by the time you pick bowser again you will have a better grasp on many different aspects of melee. Hamyojo said something to this effect when he dropped Yoshi for Sheik. By picking up sheik he learned a lot more about melee and if he ever played yosh again he'd probably be better.

For the record Falcon Bowser is REAALLLY bad . All the top tiers are extremely rough in their own way but Falcon is hard for so many reasons. He can run and dashdance circles around you, he can grab camp you, getting down from the air is very difficult against him, and most importantly he combos you to death for free even with good DI. #1 thing for bowser players in that matchup is you need good DI, I could not stress that enough.
Of course koopa has guaranteed combos and edgegaurds which is the silver lining in the matchup, but still once you play a falcon who knows what they're doing against bowser it's rough :(

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Man the past 2 posts from both of you have been rather useless and pedantic.

You basically just stated the obvious, what any casual could've told ya in 2003. Of course Falcon is a better character and the MU is very difficult...that wasn't the point.

So let's hear it then, what top tiers does Bowser have a better chance against than Spacies and Falcon?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Exactly, we stated the obvious. There's really no further discussion to be had. Bowser has terrible MUs against pretty much the entire top 8 characters, that's a fact. None of them are in his favor, at all. Spacies can DECIMATE Bowser if they know what they're doing in the slightest, from shinespikes with Fox to lasers and dairs with Falco, and the obvious difficulties in MUs like Marth (a Marth with good spacing can't lose) and Sheik (grabs). ICs can wall out Bowser and there's nothing you can do about it, an ICs main in my area who also plays Bowser explained it to me. Puff is terrible because bair and rest are easy as hell to land on a huge target. Peach can camp with turnips and dsmash bodies Bowser.

There's really no way around it, Bowser is bad. You'll never get anywhere with a bad character if you do not recognize their flaws.

Please don't come in here with toxic behavior and claim people are posting "useless and pedantic" things when you haven't added anything useful, and refuse to acknowledge when people give you info

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yes he's bad this is also obvious, everyone knows it (not sure why you guys keep beating this dead horse, it's not news to anyone)

But still I'm waiting, who do you think is easier among the top tiers than Falcon and Spacies....objectively they are the only ones that Bowser has legitimate combo potential on.

I ask this because of the first condescending useless comment you made as if I didn't already know the obvious. Comparatively those 3 top tiers are the only ones Bowser even stands a chance against since he actually has some combos and strats that work at mid-high levels.

If you just repeat the obvious once more, well I guess again it will have been a useless response. There really is no point in just saying "LMAO Bowser sucks, Falcon owns him you noob DUHHH" you basically become a troll who never contributes anything worthwhile about your own character that you supposedly "love" so much. There is zero value or gain in repeating the same obvious negative things over and over, when instead you can actually be having productive conversations.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yes he's bad this is also obvious, everyone knows it (not sure why you guys keep beating this dead horse, it's not news to anyone)

But still I'm waiting, who do you think is easier among the top tiers than Falcon and Spacies....objectively they are the only ones that Bowser has legitimate combo potential on.
I'm "beating a dead horse" because I'm trying to make a point: Bowser is not good. I know that you know this, I'm not trying to imply that you don't. All I mean is that he doesn't have good MUs, therefore I would not really describe any of them as easy.
Combo potential isn't everything. Neutral game and how hard you get combo'd by these characters is extremely important to consider.
I ask this because of the first condescending useless comment you made as if I didn't already know the obvious. Comparatively those 3 top tiers are the only ones Bowser even stands a chance against since he actually has some combos and strats that work at mid-high levels.

If you just repeat the obvious once more, well I guess again it will have been a useless response. There really is no point in just saying "LMAO Bowser sucks, Falcon owns him you noob DUHHH" you basically become a troll who never contributes anything worthwhile about your own character that you supposedly "love" so much. There is zero value or gain in repeating the same obvious negative things over and over, when instead you can actually be having productive conversations.
You aren't really having much of a productive conversation about it either, you're mostly making accusations of me being condescending (which I did not intend to be, if I was I apologize) and useless, and now of being a troll. Don't put quotations around love either, I ****ing love this character more than any other, in every single game he is in. I am not being negative, I'm being realistic. As a low tier main, I can safely say that spacies and Falcon are still incredibly tough MUs. Saying that Falcon owns Bowser IS a contribution to the conversation, it's just a fact of the MU.

And I'd like to focus on one specific thing you said here as well
There is zero value or gain in repeating the same obvious negative things over and over, when instead you can actually be having productive conversations.
Ignoring negative things doesn't make them go away. Talking about negative things is extremely productive, because if we didn't bring up his flaws, how would we advance and try to get past those problems?

marth is much easier than falcon or spacies
Please teach me

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I found a small something on Pokemon Stadium. It isn't much but it's fun.

In the fire thing, there's that huge rock, and near the left ledge, you can grab the ledge on the side. Well, if you're under 100%, using your attack will result in Bowser attacking with his spin thing, but he will immediately re-grab the ledge. So you just have to spam B and you are invincible on that spot.

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet

I don't feel this way quite yet. I feel like I've still got a lot of room to improve, specifically when it comes to tech skill. Still gotta get that waveland into moonwalk to grab edge. Still need to perfect the short hop from the ledge into command grab. I've been called a 'high level Bowser' at the locals but I think that's just due to me being the only one who knows how to pilot the character. Being the best in the region by being the only one in the region, that kind of thing. I don't look forward to when I feel like I can't learn more with this character I love so much.

marth is much easier than falcon or spacies
There's a Marth I always get seeded with and always get bodied by. Then again there have been newer Marth's who I've rocked. I think it's down to a matter of who you have more practice against, in this case. Played a lot of Falcons and Foxes so I know the MU a little better than Marth, I guess?

Can we all agree the Puff MU is a matter of who hits first and is often super painful?

Kalimari

Smash Cadet
Puff is so unbearably gruesome lol. im so glad i play fox so i dont have to do that MU. There's like one video of dj pplaying against a puff from zenith and you can kind of learn from that. upward moves will kill hella early i think you can imagine

as far as marth vs falcon idk they're all hard but my main training buddy is a falcon and he can camp -so- hard with nairs and stomps if he wants to. grabs are so unbelievbly devastating and they guarantee either f you up or kill you lol it's so hard.
bowser edgegaurds the poop out of falcon though which is a huge saving grace

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I found a small something on Pokemon Stadium. It isn't much but it's fun.

In the fire thing, there's that huge rock, and near the left ledge, you can grab the ledge on the side. Well, if you're under 100%, using your attack will result in Bowser attacking with his spin thing, but he will immediately re-grab the ledge. So you just have to spam B and you are invincible on that spot.
Try rolling under 100% instead, it's safer and as far as I know is completely invincible, which I don't think the getup attack regrab is.

I don't feel this way quite yet. I feel like I've still got a lot of room to improve, specifically when it comes to tech skill. Still gotta get that waveland into moonwalk to grab edge. Still need to perfect the short hop from the ledge into command grab. I've been called a 'high level Bowser' at the locals but I think that's just due to me being the only one who knows how to pilot the character. Being the best in the region by being the only one in the region, that kind of thing. I don't look forward to when I feel like I can't learn more with this character I love so much.
It's sad really. But it all came down to my skill level not improving anymore, so I had to do something about it.
Can we all agree the Puff MU is a matter of who hits first and is often super painful?
Yesss

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Well, by playing other characters, you are going to learn more of their matchup. I'm planning on developing every characters so I know how they behave better, because Bowser is all about reads. Sadly, it is necessary to step away from Bowser at some point, or as you said, you hit a plateau.

Is it even possible to moonwalk with Bowser? I can do it with like every characters but Bowser. o_O

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Well, by playing other characters, you are going to learn more of their matchup. I'm planning on developing every characters so I know how they behave better, because Bowser is all about reads. Sadly, it is necessary to step away from Bowser at some point, or as you said, you hit a plateau.
You'd actually probably be better off picking a handful of characters to mess around with instead of, like, all of them. I tried it before and started playing worse over time.
Is it even possible to moonwalk with Bowser? I can do it with like every characters but Bowser. o_O
Yep! You can moonwalk out of a waveland and it is SOOOOO SWEEEEET and also actually really useful for giving Bowser some additional movement. I've almost mastered it :cool:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I guess I'd practice my worst matchups then lol. And Marth isn't that bad of a match up actually... I think that, with Bowser, you need to adopt a different playstyle for every characters. Me being more aggressive I don't have a hard time dealing with Falcons and Marths that much... ah well. o_O

I don't have my setup right now as the technicians at my college have to setup the giant screen for tomorrow. I'll be playing in front of the peeps in the cafeteria for my new video game club. xD I'll practice that moonwalk for sure tho.

Hey, I might as well share my philosophy here while I'm here!

When I started practicing all the techs, I was playing Pikachu, and I had previously started using puff. I was indeed playing Bowser, but only occasionally when my friends would get too salty. But then I got hold of this tier list and realized that Pikachu's and Jiggle's metagame was already well developed, and that Boozer was left in the dark. In fact, I was never interested in playing the top tiers. They are easy to play and there are plenty of tutorials on how to play them. I didn't want to follow blindly a tutorial and assimilate to thousands of people playing the same character - in fact, your chances of standing out are so slim it's not even worth. I wanted to learn and develop my character all by myself, like be useful.

Not only that, he is so fun to play!!! And he's 2 cute. I can stand out when I play him and I guess it's more fun for the opponent too. (unless they get salty, like that other guy) I'm mostly playing for fun, and I absolutely despise those who play solely to win - and there are plenty of them. I mean, have fun while you're here.

I recently got two of my friends into melee, and they chose Zelda and G&W. I teached them the techs and they are doing great! We're not doing it to win huge tournaments anyway, it's just for fun.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Hey, for people who play to win, that's how they have fun! Where's the fun if you always lose? Winning feels good.

Setup the giant screen? Not like an LCD right?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
You normally play on a CRT though right? If not, I highly highly recommend it. Otherwise there is input lag which is laaaaame.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Yea, I play on a cathode tv. The lag doesn't affect Bowser much anyway, it's mostly fast characters who suffer from this.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
The lag definitely does affect Bowser, just like it affects literally every character in the game.

You might think it doesn't hit Bowser as hard because he's slow to begin with, but that just means that you have to wait even longer for visual feedback. And, if nothing else, the frame windows on fortress hogs can be mighty slim.

Puphmaster

Smash Rookie
That's just the way it is though. I'll play the MU, I highly enjoy playing it, but he gets bodied. Same goes for, say, the Sheik Bowser MU. Sheik simply destroys Bowser, there's really no denying it.
It isn't being cynical, it's being realistic.

If you play low tiers, you have to have a deep understanding of your character. That includes MUs, and knowing which ones are good, which ones are bad, and which ones are straight up impossible at a high level.
I 100% agree about having a deep understanding of the low tier characters my pichu is my low tier and it so rough playing because you practice for hours on one matchup and you still have and extremely good chance of getting bodied so those who have a fun low tier deserve praise.

Coolguy164

Smash Rookie
Hey there! New member of the forums, though I've been a Bowser main for a while now (yet I'm not all that good yet by any means). Just thought I'd stop in and introduce myself!

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
Hey there! New member of the forums, though I've been a Bowser main for a while now (yet I'm not all that good yet by any means). Just thought I'd stop in and introduce myself!
Welcome! What's good?

It's a struggle being a Bowser main but worth it if you love the character. Things you should know about Boozer; up b oos (out of shield) is super good, you can use up b to grab the ledge and edge guard--this is called fortress hogging and is a bread and butter thing for Bowser, forward air is really good, back air is a semi spike, L-cancelling is your friend, and try not to forward smash everywhere despite how cool it is. If you have any questions I'm sure we'd be happy to oblige.

Coolguy164

Smash Rookie
Welcome! What's good?

It's a struggle being a Bowser main but worth it if you love the character. Things you should know about Boozer; up b oos (out of shield) is super good, you can use up b to grab the ledge and edge guard--this is called fortress hogging and is a bread and butter thing for Bowser, forward air is really good, back air is a semi spike, L-cancelling is your friend, and try not to forward smash everywhere despite how cool it is. If you have any questions I'm sure we'd be happy to oblige.
Thanks for the advice, though a lot of this stuff I already knew! L-cancelling is a must because his moves for the most part have some really bad lag (bair, I'm looking at you), and up-b is godly for everything but recovery! The trick is knowing how to utilize a lot of this stuff, for which I could certainly use some work. I haven't had the chance to play against anyone competitively in a long time, so I haven't had the chance to really figure it out.

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
Stage fright is cancer, I really need to destroy it before I go to more tournament :/
I feel that, I had it super bad my first few. I'm still fairly new but it's gotten easier the more I go. I think most people will attest that going more and playing a bunch of friendlies is some of the best medicine for dealing with nerves like this :)

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Omg DJNintendo comes to my local tournament (SI2) and I can't attend!!! D: It's like my 18th birthday this weekend and I have stuff already organized. That sux so bad.... I'll see what I can doo.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
After not being able to play Melee against real people for a month because of school and work, I played my friend yesterday. Since I switched to maining Fox, I started out playing him. Then I played some Bowser, and, interestingly enough, even after practicing Fox techskill for the entire month, Bowser is still significantly my best character. I won consistently with him, and lost consistently with Fox (though the games were close usually)

I guess Bowser is meant to be :bowsermelee:
Going to keep maining Fox, but I'll be playing a lot more Bowser again now. Hopefully I can continue my goal of developing Bowser's meta, and come back to you guys with anything that I find.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
New tier list. Bowser dropped to 25th place.

I already have a sweatshirt with BOWSER and 24 on the back and now it's ****ing wrong

Kalimari

Smash Cadet
New tier list. Bowser dropped to 25th place.

I already have a sweatshirt with BOWSER and 24 on the back and now it's ****ing wrong
well maybe the 24 can mean you're a bowser main 24 hours a day ;)

anyone goin to g3nesis? Im goin and would be down to play with yall : )

Synnett

Alligator Lord
well maybe the 24 can mean you're a bowser main 24 hours a day ;)

anyone goin to g3nesis? Im goin and would be down to play with yall : )
Lol great idea.

And where is genesis? I can't got to the usa right now lol. I'm going to McGill Monthly 3 in January and that's it. I'm the only Bowser player in my area, but after seeing me, a few peeps started picking him for fun.

Edit1: I bought a Bowser cap back in september (http://www.lids.com/pwr/product-rev...o-Nintendo-Corner-Flex-Bowser-Cap-Bowser.html) and it became my trademark. xD Everyone recognizes me as the guy with the Bowser cap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom