• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Bowser's nair is mad good. I would say its one of his lifesaver moves because it helps him get out of troublesome situations since the move lasts for a bit of time. I use it alot and for various situations, even edgeguarding. It has good priority and I take advantage of the knockback it has. Its extremely useful if you know when and how to use it effectively. Its especially useful against characters like Falco because it will help you help you get around through Falco's lasers and disrupt his combos. It can also hit a character who's coming down from above you.

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
Bowser's nair is mad good. I would say its one of his lifesaver moves because it helps him get out of troublesome situations since the move lasts for a bit of time. I use it alot and for various situations, even edgeguarding. It has good priority and I take advantage of the knockback it has. Its extremely useful if you know when and how to use it effectively. Its especially useful against characters like Falco because it will help you help you get around through Falco's lasers and disrupt his combos. It can also hit a character who's coming down from above you.

In that case, disregard my previous post.

I just thought it has weak knockback, so your opponents usually just recover and smack you back. DJ Nintendo, are there any bad habits bowsers tend to do? I play him for fun against other low tier characters such as donkey kong, and I do alright, but any advice is appreciated.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
In that case, disregard my previous post.

I just thought it has weak knockback, so your opponents usually just recover and smack you back. DJ Nintendo, are there any bad habits bowsers tend to do? I play him for fun against other low tier characters such as donkey kong, and I do alright, but any advice is appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v875rGhWcNk

I'm gonna use the beginning of this match as an example. One of the bad habits Bowser players have is not knowing how to defend themselves properly when the chance is given to them. I know Bowser's regular shield sucks and he's combo food but there's times when zero to deaths or heavy damage combos can be avoided. The first stock of that match shouldn't have been like that. The Bowser looked like he panicked after getting down throwed when a random uair came outta nowhere. At :25 after Falco up-tilted his shield, he remained there regular shielding while Falco stepped back for a second then approached with lasers. Bowser should have jumped away and landed behind Falco while doing his claw for a reverse Tomahawk. Falco seeing Bowser jump away from his laser to nair approach and landing almost on top of him would make him shield to avoid damage from an aerial move from Bowser. Although he wouldn't have expected the reverse claw. Now lets say Falco spot-dodged instead or knew the reverse claw was coming. He would've just shined Bowser from his laggy claw and tried to do a combo outta the shine. So for the Bowser to further protect himself from another combo just in case his claw wouldn't have worked, he would get ready to DI the shine so the Falco can't follow up after or at least follow up with a heavy combo. If
the Bowser's reaction isn't quick enough, instead of staying in his regular shield (which was already low), he could have light shielded instead. Then the worst thing is he'll probably get grabbed or he can try and roll away.

Thats what Bowser mains must do or characters in general, but especially Bowser. Have a plan and have a backup plan and another backup plan behind your previous backup plan just in case. Bowser is a mindgame character who requires the user to have not only an extreme amount of mindgames, but also have quick reaction time and know pretty much everything about Bowser. Since Bowser is easy to destroy, having great defensive skills and reaction time are the most important things with him. Unfortunately most Bowser players don't have those with him or have it down as much with him =( Although its understandable because Bowser is a very tough character to use, especially at high level play. Even I get ***** sometimes lol. But thats why WarriorKnight and I are here to help our fellow Bowser players =)

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Thanks a bunch DJ! I will work on my defensive skills and try to recognize situations and respond correctly. I'm a nub, but I can upload a few bowser vids after I go and record some more. I see how bowser relies heavily on mindgames-at my point in learning however, I have to learn bowser himself a little more, and then once I master him I can focus more heavily on mindgames. Thanks again :)

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I did not see a social thread so I will post this here.

I wish to invite bowser mains and bowser secondaries alike to this group...
Negligible tier mains unite!
Please join if you have not :).
Bowser is not negligible. I appreciate your invite but I maintain that ssbm bowser is too cool to be denoted in such a demeaning manner. I say future top tier group suits him better.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Around what percentages is mario dthrow>fsmash unescapable?

What should I be doing to escape it?

EDIT: Question 2:

Full jump fair waveland. Is it worth learning to do consistently? I think it's pretty neat, waveland goes surprisingly far.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKG7tGADyzU#t=1m37s

How do you do this? UpB to ledge immediately like that? I keep trying it and falling off the stage.
After doing your UpB, instead of holding right, you only want to lean it a little to the right. I find the easiest way is to hold the control stick in the upper right notch.

Since I'm terrible at describing things, here's what I mean:

And vice versa for doing this to the left.

_Rated D.R.K_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Bowsers for the thread.I'm an average Bowser player from New York who is trying to be above-average(lol) and this Q-A thread is really helping me to become a better Bowser and a better player.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Bowsers for the thread.I'm an average Bowser player from New York who is trying to be above-average(lol) and this Q-A thread is really helping me to become a better Bowser and a better player.
To be honest the bowser boards could do with as many new players as possible, it's kind of dead haha

But yeah, hope to see you around more

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Full jump fair waveland. Is it worth learning to do consistently? I think it's pretty neat, waveland goes surprisingly far.
i feel like its worth it, especially since its honestly not that hard to do. at low/mid percents the waveland after a fullhop fair puts you in a way better position for a tech chase/edgeguard, and if they miss the tech you can even like jab reset to whatever

also upthrow/klaw fthrow lead into full hop fair pretty well depending on the character

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
So. The bowser boards are pretty inactive and looks pretty run down. My question is, what do us, the bowser players, need to do to sort it out?

Do we need a forum specific mod? Updated guide? Social thread?

I don't know, I just feel like it's about time we actually had something organised around here XD

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I agree Seikend, Maybe we should update a guide maybe........
You mean with things like this?

I'll slowly be working my way through the whole moveset. All are at 1/3 speed.

And yeah. I think we could neaten up the guide a bit too. Most of the info is there, it's just a little messy.

And I'll be writing a FAQ and Fortresshogging guide soon so watch this space.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
http://rapidshare.com/files/428686599/Animated_Gifs.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/428689576/Bowser_frames.zip WARNING: BIG FILE. 220MB Zip File, uncompressed files are over 2GB.

Top link is the gifs for all bowser attacks, grabs and dodges (airdodge, roll, sidestep) at 1/3 speed.
Bottom link is the individual frames for all attacks, grabs, dodges and /SOME/ of the edge options. I'll be honest, i got tired of making it. I'll get back to it eventually, but it's very dull :/.

It'd be great if someone could upload all the gifs individually, and make a frame data thread with it and the data in the bowser guide. I can't really do it now (internet issues) but if it no one else does it sometime soon I will do it /eventually/.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
So here's the thing.

How many Bowser players are there out there, that would be up for getting some discussion going on around here?

I've got hitbox images sorted, could write an updated fortresshogging guide, and we /could/ have a social thread, discuss matchups, stages etc. Sure, there might not be anything new to discuss, but we could definetely do with an updated match up guide, instead of people having to scroll through 30 pages or whatever to get information. A lot of things are "well known", but not really documented properly at all.

But I don't want to do any work if y'know, no one actually cares. So, is there any interest in getting a revival of the bowser boards going? Even if it's just to say you'd be up for a social board and contributing to general discussion, say so. If there's interest, we probably should do something.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I'm nterested in those things, but can't contribute anything much valuable.

Oh, well, maybe this... When fortresshogging, Bowser can grab the ledge both sides until frame 49. Figured it out in Dolphin. ;-)
After that frame you only can grab the ledge facing it.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Apparently.

Very nice Hatacatan =P. Stuff like that is the sort of thing I'm personally interested in.

We should probably get a social thread started to get this sort of discussion going. As far as I know, the Bowser boards don't have a dedicated mod, but we could ask Teczero to get a social thread stickied for now.

If one of you want to get that sorted out you can, else I'll do it eventually if no one else does.

aaand, for the Bowser guide. Do we just want KevinM to update the current guide with the hitbox gifs and any extra info, or do we create a new guide?

TheGoat

Smash Ace
So. The bowser boards are pretty inactive and looks pretty run down. My question is, what do us, the bowser players, need to do to sort it out?

Do we need a forum specific mod? Updated guide? Social thread?

I don't know, I just feel like it's about time we actually had something organised around here XD
a social thread might help just to talk about whatever bowser stuff

So here's the thing.

How many Bowser players are there out there, that would be up for getting some discussion going on around here?

I've got hitbox images sorted, could write an updated fortresshogging guide, and we /could/ have a social thread, discuss matchups, stages etc. Sure, there might not be anything new to discuss, but we could definetely do with an updated match up guide, instead of people having to scroll through 30 pages or whatever to get information. A lot of things are "well known", but not really documented properly at all.

But I don't want to do any work if y'know, no one actually cares. So, is there any interest in getting a revival of the bowser boards going? Even if it's just to say you'd be up for a social board and contributing to general discussion, say so. If there's interest, we probably should do something.
If these boards were more active I would visit more, but to be honest I don't main bowser, because I don't have the time to commit to playing a low tier character and getting good. I do play bowser for fun a lot though.

Jonas

Smash Champion
So here's the thing.

I'd like to. I stopped playing him because I got raepd by all my friends, but I'm kinda getting back into him. I probably won't be able to contribute with a lot though :/

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
What do you call fortresshogging when you tilt the control stick? Tilted fortresshog? Slow fortresshog? Creating the video and text guide but not sure what to call it.

Jonas

Smash Champion
There's three kinds of Fortresshogging that I know of:

1. Sloped fortresshog. We could also call this auto fortressing, since Bowser does it himself as long as you point him in the right direction. Works on sloped edges derp derp

2. Teeter fortresshog. He doesn't really need to teeter as long as you're close enough to the edge, but it makes it easier to not mess up and die.

3. Regular fortresshog, or timed fortresshog. This one needs to be timed, with Bowser facing away from the edge.

Is it one of these three you're talking about?

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
No, there's a fourth kind which isn't in MagnuM's fortresshogging video guide. It's been mentioned a few times in the forums, but isn't well known really.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214367

Basically, you can control the speed of the fortress by how much you tilt the control stick. If you go slow enough over the edge, you'll grab the ledge, regardless of what way you're facing, or what part of the UpB you're in.

Holding the control stick diagonally up is the easiest way to do it, but you can also just tilt the control stick a little.

That thread gives a pretty simple description of it, I'm hoping to explain it more properly in a video with examples. But I have no idea what to call it :/.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Yup, Seikend is right. It can be done facing either direction until frame 49 - after that frame the ending animation starts and Bowser can only grab the ledge facing towards it.

I'd call it slow fortresshog.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Ah I see, that's pretty neat. It doesn't seem much practical though because you have to go slow (seems faster to just run to the edge and use teeter fortresshog), but I'd love to see a video :)

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Ah I see, that's pretty neat. It doesn't seem much practical though because you have to go slow (seems faster to just run to the edge and use teeter fortresshog), but I'd love to see a video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JndHdWYgeo

I made a quick little video, but really only as a first draft. Just want to see what you guys think need to be done. In hindsight, the slides with the text and controller and pretty messy, and I could have added more general applications of it... and Hatacan, I wanted to add the frame thing to the video guide but I didn't know how to phrase it without just making a really wordy slide.

Makng videos isn't really a skill of mine haha. If anyone else wants to try and make it, I can send you the video file with the fortresshogging, and can record any other things you want. Otherwise, I'll just redo this one at some point.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
It is actually pretty fast if you slow the fortress down right before reaching the ledge, not earlier. The faster you want it to be, the harder it becomes.

It is explained and demonstrated very well in your vid, Seikend, good work!

Top Bottom