• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The bonds of Mother and Child are strong, Rosalina and Luma to return!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That always happened with nearly any of his attacks
No he didn't, Luma had transcendent (item) priority in Smash Wii U/3DS as he was treated as an item, meaning he wouldn't clank with everything just like that.

You can easily verify it by going to Smash Run and attacking Ghastly, which can only be damaged by items. Luma can damage Ghastly with any of his attacks.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
I know he has item priority, but that doesn't imply being trascendent and vice versa, a sizeable part of his moves could and did clash with enemy's attacks and in way more instances than the law of high and low priority dictated

Last edited:

¡Peachy-Roses!

Smash Rookie
Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster (Mario's Universe)
NNID
TheGFlower
Not very knowledgeable on the technical side of Smash Ultimate, but, from an intuitive perspective, Rosalina is top 20 to me. She seems quite decent in terms of character potential. However, though, her Luma may have been buffed in terms of offensive damage output, but it cracks much easily under pressure thanks to the numerous nerfs done to it. The risks of sending it out are much greater than in Smash 4.

Diabolique

Smash Cadet
For what its worth, Luma now inches forward when doing jab again. When tethered it is a very very small distance and you can really only jab string 2 or 3 times before Luma moves back.

When sent out though, you can go as far as you want. The distance is not very good though, and Luma will go back to the starting position if left out, but you can still do attacks after the jab.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
For what its worth, Luma now inches forward when doing jab again. When tethered it is a very very small distance and you can really only jab string 2 or 3 times before Luma moves back.

When sent out though, you can go as far as you want. The distance is not very good though, and Luma will go back to the starting position if left out, but you can still do attacks after the jab.
I posted in the Rosalina Buff thread my labwork. You can actually do up to 6 tightly paced jab strings before Luma comes back, and Luma's hitbox reaches from 1 meter out from Rosa to 3 meters. Dtilt also spaces Luma and even better than jabs - You can get Luma's hitbox out to around 4 meters from Rosalina before coming back, plus he spaces slightly faster than with jabs. Dtilt is the new spacing tool.

She also got a major buff to Luma's send out and recall, to the point where you can land with an attack after casting Luma at the peak of a short hop. This has huge setup potential. Nair is also amazing (although it doesn't hit short characters like Pichu). The hitbox covers Rosalina's feet now, it stays out forever, and it combos beautifully.

This is a big deal for Rosalina. She's better than Smash 4 Rosalina.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I posted in the Rosalina Buff thread my labwork. You can actually do up to 6 tightly paced jab strings before Luma comes back, and Luma's hitbox reaches from 1 meter out from Rosa to 3 meters. Dtilt also spaces Luma and even better than jabs - You can get Luma's hitbox out to around 4 meters from Rosalina before coming back, plus he spaces slightly faster than with jabs. Dtilt is the new spacing tool.

She also got a major buff to Luma's send out and recall, to the point where you can land with an attack after casting Luma at the peak of a short hop. This has huge setup potential. Nair is also amazing (although it doesn't hit short characters like Pichu). The hitbox covers Rosalina's feet now, it stays out forever, and it combos beautifully.

This is a big deal for Rosalina. She's better than Smash 4 Rosalina.
Not quite sure I'd say she's up to par with her Smash 4 version just yet, but she needed this. Rosalina is a technical character who requires plenty of tools and setups to be used effectively, and I feel like a lot of that was lost in the transition because of poorly based complaints from players.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Smash 4 Rosalina possessed a wide array of moves to bring Luma around, to counteract the fact that he actually wouldn't start picking a new position until he terminated not his FAF, but his whole animation, since he only has filler animation for movement, as well as shield, dodges, landing and grab. With the tethered mechanics reverted it is easier to manouver him around as he's dethered, but dethered he still remains still in one place for the whole move's animation with no attack able to properly push him out of the way safely. Couple that with the fact that he's still made of paper, and everything keeps going back to the fact that everything is subjugated to Luma and his ability to stay alive, an ability which is still really lackluster

Last edited:

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 Rosalina possessed a wide array of moves to bring Luma around, to counteract the fact that he actually wouldn't start picking a new position until he terminated not his FAF, but his whole animation, since he only has filler animation for movement, as well as shield, dodges, landing and grab. With the tethered mechanics reverted it is easier to manouver him around as he's dethered, but dethered he still remains still in one place for the whole move's animation with no attack able to properly push him out of the way safely. Couple that with the fact that he's still made of paper, and everything keeps going back to the fact that everything is subjugated to Luma and his ability to stay alive, an ability which is still really lackluster
I guess we just have different playstyles. I've never really felt the need to protect Luma because I never really felt like Rosa by herself was all that weak, and by herself she's now a lot more powerful than in Smash 4. Her new Nair is superb and leads into tons more options than 4. Fair is still amazing, Dair spikes nicely, plus she's fast and floaty. Since Luma comes back so quickly now I don't really see it as that horrible that Luma has less HP. But I play her detethered like I play Ness without PK powers, so Luma isn't something I have to have to be effective.

I'm also not really following you on Luma's detethered movement - What do you mean "no attack able to properly push Luma out of the way safely"? Jab and Dtilts space Luma just fine detethered, actually better because you can space Luma indefinitely. Plus you can sink him down past the ledge with a charged smash, tilts, or jabs. Or are you talking about something different?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
First off: Luma doesn't have less HP, it actually has more on 1v1 to cope out with the 1v1 multiplier.

Second off: The largest part of her moveset, especially without Luma, is unsafe both on shield and on whiff, and that is despite shields being what they are in this game, Nair being one of the few exception, instead having the problem of having swiss cheese hitboxes.

Third off: the only stat she has high is her air acceleration, the sixth best in the game. Everything else is either average or barely above average, except her fall speed

About Luma's movement, it's pretty simple: There is a zone that Luma always aims to be in when tethered and another one when dethered, I'll label this "anchor zone". Pre-patch when he was tethered, that zone would attract him like a black hole and constantly push back his position, most notably with Bair and DTilt. However, since Luma can't move, jump, shield, dodge, land and grab, but only has filler animation for that, he won't actually do any of those, and that means that if he throws an attack, he won't be able to change his anchor zone until he is done not with his FAF, but the whole animation lenght.

That's why Jab used to be what it was, to safely move him around. Without that, if he attacks he has to either wait the entire animation out or commit to another attack, DA out of all, to get out of the way, which just makes him a sitting duck when coupled with the worse hitboxes

Last edited:

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Are you just talking about the amount of lag after Luma attacks while detethered before he repositions himself if Rosa moves? That's the same mechanic as it was in Smash 4 and I'm pretty sure it's actually faster in this game. Either way it's really not a problem because like I said above, protecting Luma isn't really that important to effective Rosalina play. SH Fair is also very good on shield, as is an effective dash and grab game until Luma returns.

There is so much you can do to move Luma around. Prepatch severely limited those options - keeping Luma to a tight zone that was very easy for opponents to predict and punish. 2.0 brought back a lot of the spacing tools that were missing so if there's some micromanaging meta that you're missing from prepatch, rest assured there are plenty of better options now.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Yes, that's what I'm referring about and no, it didn't improve an inch from Sm4sh, he now chooses a position faster, but he still needs to wait the entire move's animation, difference being that his own attacks move him almost by nothing and thus if he wants to move around he can either DA in that direction or wait.

> SH Fair is also very good on shield, as is an effective dash and grab game until Luma returns

That's just incorrect, her Fair is -38 on shield at the very best, and her grab game and mobility are barely above average

>There is so much you can do to move Luma around. Prepatch severely limited those options - keeping Luma to a tight zone that was very easy for opponents to predict and punish. 2.0 brought back a lot of the spacing tools that were missing so if there's some micromanaging meta that you're missing from prepatch, rest assured there are plenty of better options now.

It is better than pre-patch because Luma's mechanics got reverted, but DA is still the only attack that can move him around further than his own size

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, I think Dabuz showed us at Smash Ultimate Summit that Rosalina is still a very capable character. It's just that there's virtually no one who's willing to main her.

Even is she doesn't get any buffs going forward, I think she'll be fine. The metagame is still young, and she'll likely remain seen as "garbage" until more people take the initiative to learn how to properly use her.

D

Deleted member

Rosalina is my second favourite Mario character just behind Pauline.

Of course, I don't count characters from DKC.

Needless to say, I am glad with her being in Smash, and hopefully we get Waluigi and Pauline herself in the future.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Rosalina's gown confuses me a little. Obviously she wears a really big Night Gown, but the exposed white part stumps me. Because in Super Mario 3D World it's just part of a full blown underskirt. But in the Super Mario Galaxy Series it's not. Is it complete?

Last edited:

snailsbythepound

Smash Rookie
Yes hello, my name is snails. I have found a glitch of sorts, when using her smash meter, Rosalina can kill herself, and it wont count it as actually using the smash meter,essentially, shes allowed to use two smashes.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I played smash 4 a couple days ago. And I got crippling depression because smash 4 rosa was so good lol. I think that a lot of her issues in this game exist because they kind of changed her playstyle to be a little more committal, but at the same time they made luma worse, easier to kill, they made rosa's hitboxes smaller and her frame data is overall not as effective in this game as it was in smash 4.

I am learning how to use her in memory of my old main for friendlies and all but competitively I feel this character is dead and never coming back. For what its worth I hope that I am wrong and a half on that.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Haven't posted here in a while, I miss the days the Rosalina thread was active.

But I had to share this gorgeous art

I miss the plentiful fan art sharing from 3DS/WiiU era, Rosalina is still gorgeous.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
On my iPad. I have no problems there, though it would still crash sometimes but not as often as on my phone.
Huh, guess that makes sense, I have no troubles with my phone.

Either way, Rosalina is cute in her Halloween costume

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Why is it always from garbage mobile games where we get such gems as Dr. Rosalina (just her normal attire with a coat, but still), Dr. Luma, and now witch Rosalina? Mario Kart 9 can't come fast enough or any other game that would do this goddess justice.

Some art I found throughout Twitter with their Twitter handles below each:

(SarukaiRo)

(hosinoirie777)

(BrodTsumi)

(gonzarez1938)

(AwesomeEriX)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Oh my, that pic with the red Luma looks so realistic it's breathtaking.

Happy early Halloween!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Best skin yet imo, and love all the valentines related images it’s gotten due to the timing. But yeah, the mobile exclusiveness... smh

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Her elegance never ceases to amaze me.

But as far as Mario Kart Tour is concerned, **** that.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah I stopped playing Tour. Maybe if it was on switch, but the scummyness + controls, I lost interest. The pay to win was awful.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I hate this. Just the thought of a Rabbid Rosalina makes me sick to my stomach. It's disgusting. Disgraceful. It's bad enough that the abomination known as the Mario + Rabbids series brought back to life a series of characters that should've stayed dead a long time ago. Having the Mario franchise have any connection with those things has always been a terrible concept to me. But to mess with a fan-favorite character like Rosalina? And how do you manage to make Lumas ugly? Next thing you know they'll make that whole "Princess Rosalina" misconception canon. I know I'm overreacting to this, and I know the Rabbid is a separate character. I'm just saying we could've had anything better like a dedicated Rosalina game or something. But that has always been merely a pipe dream.

Sorry I've returned here starting with a wordy rant. I just needed to vent. To get rid of some of the negativity, here's another picture of Rosalina being the best.

Actually, I'll just direct you to their Twitter. They say they don't want their art to be reposted. So just to be on the safe side, just go to the post they made on April 23. It's truly a stunning piece.

https://twitter.com/AppleBeniakari

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey Rosalina gang. I'm starting a Nintendo Game of the Week thread where we talk about a new Nintendo game each week. And I'm giving the honor of the first game featured to Super Mario Galaxy. Since it's her debut game, I thought you might be interested.

Here's a link.

Top Bottom