• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The bonds of Mother and Child are strong, Rosalina and Luma to return!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina doesn't necessarily have to be in every single mainstream Super Mario title though.
I think it's more that people feel teased that they cut her from potentially major and really cool roles.

For both Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Super Mario Odyssey, I didn't really feel too concerned over whether or not she was in the game. The Pixel Rosalinas were cute enough easter eggs.

It's more the fact we hear about these really cool concepts for her after the games are released and how they didn't follow through.

Hopefully they re-use these ideas for future titles because it would be a shame to see them go to waste.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Rosalina doesn't necessarily have to be in every single mainstream Super Mario title though.
And yet, for every game so far, she was either in or planned to be.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think it's more that people feel teased that they cut her from potentially major and really cool roles.

For both Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Super Mario Odyssey, I didn't really feel too concerned over whether or not she was in the game. The Pixel Rosalinas were cute enough easter eggs.

It's more the fact we hear about these really cool concepts for her after the games are released and how they didn't follow through.

Hopefully they re-use these ideas for future titles because it would be a shame to see them go to waste.
It also kinda stings that she totally could have been fit into Odyssey. She could have been the person who handed out the music moon's, but instead a toad did it. Maybe that was the original plan? I mean, why else would Rosalina be jamming a guitar in the game if she did not have something to do with music?

Last edited:

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
What do you guys think of the tradeoff between lower range will Luma attached and shielding him? In the everyone is here trailer, she lands with Luma next to Dedede and does a jab which seems to have Luma closer to Rosalina than he was in 4. Obviously, this was probably necessary in order for the shield buff, but alas, something had to be given up I guess.
The range nerf is not that big of a deal tbh, fact luma gets shielded better makes her hard mus like cloud etc. be more doable. Yeah she has less range, but they are still big hitboxes regardless.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since the first Odyssey seemed more about bringing back Pauline who had been long dormant, I guess they figured a musical Rosalina would've taken away from her focus. Hopefully those ideas for Rosa will be saved for later though. Her not making the final cut in Odyssey is a glaring omission in hindsight, but not enough to say she’s being neglected or anything. Still though...

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's important to note that concept art is just that: concept art. It's the artists being creative and visualizing some ideas, but not all of it is ever seriously considered in the end. It's just brainstorming, but in art form. Most of it never enters the planning stages. Art books like these are just to show everything that they thought of, not necessarily everything they planned.

Breath of the Wild had concept art that involved Link wielding a guitar and riding a motorcycle, as well as an alien invasion. The motorcycle did eventually come back as the Master Cycle, but in a totally different context and aesthetic than it was originally conceived.

I think they made the right choice to go with Pauline in the more starring role. Her last prominent appearance was in Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis on DS, and her appearance here was made very appropriate, whereas Rosalina might not have fit as well. And if any other character deserves another spotlight, it's Daisy, as to my knowledge she hasn't had a role outside of the spinoff/sports games since her initial appearance in Super Mario Land.

Ideally, we could get a Mario game with all the characters having prominent appearances. Wario and Waluigi also haven't had prominent appearances in a Mario game in a long while. Bring back Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, too. A lot of these characters seem to exist primarily to populate the spinoff games, rather than do anything significant.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's important to note that concept art is just that: concept art. It's the artists being creative and visualizing some ideas, but not all of it is ever seriously considered in the end. It's just brainstorming, but in art form. Most of it never enters the planning stages. Art books like these are just to show everything that they thought of, not necessarily everything they planned.

Breath of the Wild had concept art that involved Link wielding a guitar and riding a motorcycle, as well as an alien invasion. The motorcycle did eventually come back as the Master Cycle, but in a totally different context and aesthetic than it was originally conceived.

I think they made the right choice to go with Pauline in the more starring role. Her last prominent appearance was in Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis on DS, and her appearance here was made very appropriate, whereas Rosalina might not have fit as well. And if any other character deserves another spotlight, it's Daisy, as to my knowledge she hasn't had a role outside of the spinoff/sports games since her initial appearance in Super Mario Land.

Ideally, we could get a Mario game with all the characters having prominent appearances. Wario and Waluigi also haven't had prominent appearances in a Mario game in a long while. Bring back Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, too. A lot of these characters seem to exist primarily to populate the spinoff games, rather than do anything significant.
The thing is Rosalina wouldn't have needed a prominent appearance, most people are just thinking you might have found her strumming away on her guitar somewhere as an Easter Egg and you'd get a Moon for it. Maybe she can show up hidden away in each Kingdom, as a sort of wandering musician.

Some people also think she could have been involved in the Music Moons quest, instead of the generic Toad they used in the final game.

Music seems to have been a bit of a prominent theme in Odyssey so I don't think she would have felt out of place at all. If anything, I don't like the mentality that we can only have one character outside of the 1980's staples show up in each mainline game, it's OK to give other characters minor roles, while still giving Pauline her slightly more prominent role that she got. It wouldn't have really changed much.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mario Party is the last place I was expecting to find Rosalina talking about her past pretty directly.

And to Waluigi of all people.

I hope she's doing OK.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina looks unusually short, don't you think? Also, you can't really expect all the Mario Party characters to share the same hurtboxes anyway.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
why does that matter anyways.

Rosalina is still taller than most characters in the game. In fact in some minigames from the Rythm mode Rosalina, Waluigi and Bowser are the only characters that don't use a chair to step on because they are the tallest characters.

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think she'll get any new alts? I really hope that gold one goes...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Mario Party is the last place I was expecting to find Rosalina talking about her past pretty directly.

I hope she's doing OK.
Oh sweet, does she have any other dialogue in the game?

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Oh sweet, does she have any other dialogue in the game?
Dunno about the English game, but if I translate what I've seen her say, she sometimes says (before selecting the difficulty after launching the game):
"May the party take me into a whirpool of fun"
but also
"What a thrilling emotion!"

I have seen one original English quote too: "I haven't joined a party in ages. This sure is exciting! I want to play ALL of the games! Will you partner up with me?" and if you answer "no" to that, she says "OK, well... That's a shame."

I don't have the game though, so I can't check.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Find this today!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This can change jab combos and follow ups in Ultimate, I'm very curious how it'll play out in the end.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I hope she's doing OK.
Uh...Rosalina...she needs to party more

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was watching the August Direct, and I came across the clip of Rosa on Brinstar. Is it just me, or is there more endlag on Star Bits? Kinda looks like the attack has more range at the expense of being slower.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Soo... Rosalina has appeared in the Wendy's x Smash Bros collab tour, and... well... we hear her voice. Hey, let's not get angry about her voice like last time...
The 38th second approximately is the right time to hear it. It's not that hard to recognize Kerri Kane's voice, but if you want all the details, it's actually the fourth clip showcased in Rosalina & Luma's voices in Sm4sh. And this is an interesting choice. For all we know, these could be placeholders for the release as voices oftentimes come last, but I don't know enough about game productions to know at which step the devs are for this game. So there's a possibility Kerri's voice could remain in the full game in the end.

I mean, we've not heard a single new Rosalina clip in one year at list, not even from Laura (or I'm wrong? But I think all Mario Tennis US and Aces were just Mario Kart 8 unused clips or even some from 3D World and suddenly I'm not sure about Super Mario Party anymore), and when they need more clips, they mix up both voices a bit messily. I'd be surprised if Smash did that too, because we know how much care goes in the game compared to some others, but it's not completely unthinkable either.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Smash has a tendency to keep voices the same unless necessary, Mario voices especially. Brawl was the only game Charles Martinet supplied new voice lines for and Peach had the same voice between Brawl and Smash Wii U.

I'm kinda glad it's still Kerri, fits the more serious nature of Smash I reckon.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It was pointed out on Reddit that in the clip from Wendy's promo video, Luma jumps forward after Rosalina's dash attack while Rosalina jumps backward. AFAIK this isn't something you could do in 4. Fingers crossed for interesting puppet fighter dynamics?

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
It was pointed out on Reddit that in the clip from Wendy's promo video, Luma jumps forward after Rosalina's dash attack while Rosalina jumps backward. AFAIK this isn't something you could do in 4. Fingers crossed for interesting puppet fighter dynamics?
That'd be a blast. I hope this is some kind of new feature they'll try to implement because although Rosalina and Luma are puppet characters, it's most of the time a better idea and solution to have Luma next to you for safety and additional damage, but if new mechanics allow them to have crazy and consistent combos (I mean, not something you pull off once in a year because it's so situational), color me interested.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kinda glad it's still Kerri, fits the more serious nature of Smash I reckon.
I do still have mixed feelings toward some of Kerri's voice clips for Rosalina. The KO'd voice clips sound too dramatic, and I didn't like how her hoshikie voice clip was handled.

One may argue that Laura Faye Smith's voice work could've been handled better, but there are some good voice clips that could've worked well. Of course, Laura never did any voice work for Rosalina when she's sleeping.

With that said, regardless of how serious the Super Smash Bros. series might be, it's still baffling how Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still don't sound like their canon selves, while Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are all able to keep their canon voices. Even King K. Rool doesn't sound like himself, which is ironic when you consider that the person who still voices Funky Kong (Toshihide Tsuchiya) has also portrayed King K. Rool's voice. This voice inconsistency just makes no sense, considering that the whole Super Mario universe primarily follows a cartoonish vibe.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I do still have mixed feelings toward some of Kerri's voice clips for Rosalina. The KO'd voice clips sound too dramatic, and I didn't like how her hoshikie voice clip was handled.

One may argue that Laura Faye Smith's voice work could've been handled better, but there are some good voice clips that could've worked well. Of course, Laura never did any voice work for Rosalina when she's sleeping.

With that said, regardless of how serious the Super Smash Bros. series might be, it's still baffling how Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still don't sound like their canon selves, while Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are all able to keep their canon voices. Even King K. Rool doesn't sound like himself, which is ironic when you consider that the person who still voices Funky Kong (Toshihide Tsuchiya) has also portrayed King K. Rool's voice. This voice inconsistency just makes no sense, considering that the whole Super Mario universe primarily follows a cartoonish vibe.
You wanna know something more ridiculous

The guy who is implied to be voicing Ganondorf in this game, is Donkey Kong's current voice actor.

The original Ganondorf is the current DK.

Yet they don't use him for both

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298

was able to give Rosalina her beautiful voice provided by Kerri Kane in this new game as well.

I looooove it.
I'm really late on this, but you did a really good job on modding her voice! Here's a question though: When Ultimate comes out, do you think you'll have the chance to modify Rosalina & Luma's voice? (assuming they didn't change her current voice we hear now). I'm also mentioning Luma because Luma's death scream is really just his sad voice (which fits him, but it was kinda lacking punch). I remembered that Luma does have another voice clip where he gets hurt in Mario Golf: World Tour during Rosalina's double bogey and I thought that it would fit his death scream too:

EDIT: Actually, did Luma ever have a blastzone KO voice clip? (I'm pretty sure he was silent when he got KO'd that way). If he didn't, then the Mario Golf voice clip could be used for that, while keeping his sad voice clip for when he runs out of HP.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I'm really late on this, but you did a really good job on modding her voice! Here's a question though: When Ultimate comes out, do you think you'll have the chance to modify Rosalina & Luma's voice? (assuming they didn't change her current voice we hear now). I'm also mentioning Luma because Luma's death scream is really just his sad voice (which fits him, but it was kinda lacking punch). I remembered that Luma does have another voice clip where he gets hurt in Mario Golf: World Tour during Rosalina's double bogey and I thought that it would fit his death scream too:

EDIT: Actually, did Luma ever have a blastzone KO voice clip? (I'm pretty sure he was silent when he got KO'd that way). If he didn't, then the Mario Golf voice clip could be used for that, while keeping his sad voice clip for when he runs out of HP.

Oh thanks a lot, i saw your Youtube comment and it was lovely.

I guess there's a high change of me modifying Rosalina's voice again but if they keep Kerri like that video showcases then there's simply no need to do it whatsover since Kerri is literally perfect.

Thought these recent times i have gotten more into Laura since i have created new voice lines for her by mixing her voice clips so she says new stuff.

Doesn't surprise me they kept Kerri though since :

A) Nintendo is lazy with voices for Mario characters.

B) Kerri fits miles better for Rosalina and Nintendo has a pattern of using her when she is representing Galaxy and is with Lumas:

Rosalina has NEVER used Laura's voice when she is interacting with Lumas or doing magic. It has always been Kerri or Mercedes back then, even in Aces they refused to give Rosalina Laura's voice when she appeared with Luma in the intro and the special shot, and instead used Kerri , and when she does her special magic moves its also Kerri's voice and not Laura.

So its safe to assume they are doing this on purpose since Kerri's voice fits right in when Rosalina is being her ''Galaxy'' self, meanwhile when she is partying and alone and being ''generic'' they always use Laura, and this is what's been happening.

Anyhow, im glad they kept Kerri but in the end i think with the right direction Laura could have been just as good or even better but i rather have the safe choice here since Kerri was literally flawless for Smash 4 so there was no reason to change it here.

But right here for example:

I also made a voice mod using Laura and i added echo and made new lines for her by mixing her clips and she sounds FLAWLESS.

So it's just matter of Nintendo finally letting her portray Rosalina differently and not just party games, this is why its a huge shame they did not call Laura to do Rosalina's lines in Ultimate or Rosalina not being in Odyssey.

2 huge opportunities to let Laura shine were lost.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Oh thanks a lot, i saw your Youtube comment and it was lovely.

I guess there's a high change of me modifying Rosalina's voice again but if they keep Kerri like that video showcases then there's simply no need to do it whatsover since Kerri is literally perfect.

Thought these recent times i have gotten more into Laura since i have created new voice lines for her by mixing her voice clips so she says new stuff.

Doesn't surprise me they kept Kerri though since :

A) Nintendo is lazy with voices for Mario characters.

B) Kerri fits miles better for Rosalina and Nintendo has a pattern of using her when she is representing Galaxy and is with Lumas:

Rosalina has NEVER used Laura's voice when she is interacting with Lumas or doing magic. It has always been Kerri or Mercedes back then, even in Aces they refused to give Rosalina Laura's voice when she appeared with Luma in the intro and the special shot, and instead used Kerri , and when she does her special magic moves its also Kerri's voice and not Laura.

So its safe to assume they are doing this on purpose since Kerri's voice fits right in when Rosalina is being her ''Galaxy'' self, meanwhile when she is partying and alone and being ''generic'' they always use Laura, and this is what's been happening.

Anyhow, im glad they kept Kerri but in the end i think with the right direction Laura could have been just as good or even better but i rather have the safe choice here since Kerri was literally flawless for Smash 4 so there was no reason to change it here.

But right here for example:

I also made a voice mod using Laura and i added echo and made new lines for her by mixing her clips and she sounds FLAWLESS.

So it's just matter of Nintendo finally letting her portray Rosalina differently and not just party games, this is why its a huge shame they did not call Laura to do Rosalina's lines in Ultimate or Rosalina not being in Odyssey.

2 huge opportunities to let Laura shine were lost.
I noticed you had done this change to Laura's voice and I love it. She does sound really good with the echo, and it's true it's a loss for them. Thank you for your hard work for these mods too!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Rosalina, I think that means someone killed them all."

"What do you mean?"

"Like when people stop breathing, they die."

"You mean like the die we use at Mario's parties?"

"ROSIE YOU'RE LITERALLY THE ONE MARIO CHARACTER WHO KNOWS THE PAIN AND SUFFERING OF SOMEONE DYING, HOW DO YOU NOT-"

But yeah this game is playable in CEMU at 4K. Rosalina looks amazing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Double posting since the thread seems dead.

So using CEMU and a No HUD mod for the game, I recorded Rosalina's Super Bell Hill gymnastics routine from Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, in 4K 60 FPS, and took it into Wallpaper Engine.

Now I got a beautiful wallpaper.

And you can download it too.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1551728281

Also, Rosalina got a Twitter video on the JP Smash Twitter.

And it looks like they buffed her Final Smash. It seems the small stars will knock opponents into the large one now.

Also don't look at the replies of that tweet.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's interesting Rosalina was being posted on music day since she was the icon for the soundtest last game

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's been some annoying misinformation going around about Rosalina in Smash Ultimate. Literal Mandela effect **** (then again, what's new for Rosalina, I swear she's cursed with this).

The recent character trailer on Twitter for Rosalina & Luma says "Did you notice that if Rosalina takes damage, Luma gets flustered?".

This flustered animation can be spotted in some gameplay footage of the pair in Ultimate.

People are interpreting it to mean Luma can no longer attack when Rosalina is in hitstun. But he always had this animation in Smash Wii U/3DS, since launch. It's just a cute animation that plays, but it can be cancelled just a bit before Rosalina finishes hitstun.

On a related note, it's now November 1st. Super Mario Galaxy is 11 years old now. Happy birthday Rosalina!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Caught wind of it being her birthday earlier as well...

What a day, in addition to soon being speculation armageddon for Smash.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105

Spirits hype! Rosalina's getting destroyed though! Wonder why her and Palutena didn't just teleport away, ahah.
Anyway, I'm in love with the game and although I have some criticisms, I just don't want to emphasize the negative aspects. I want to fully enjoy this.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, after seeing the World of Light trailer, I do feel sad that Rosalina and her Luma didn't escape with Kirby. They could've worked together to try to free the captured fighters from Galeem's control.

I also brought this up, because of Kirby's involvement in Rosalina's Smash 3DS / Wii U trailer; Rosalina's Luma befriends Kirby.

But at the same time, Rosalina isn't a starting fighter, so being able to play as her right off the bat in the World of Light adventure would feel weird when you're not supposed to have access to her yet in the other game modes.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know, after seeing the World of Light trailer, I do feel sad that Rosalina and her Luma didn't escape with Kirby. They could've worked together to try to free the captured fighters from Galeem's control.

I also brought this up, because of Kirby's involvement in Rosalina's Smash 3DS / Wii U trailer; Rosalina's Luma befriends Kirby.
Not to mention she overtook him her reveal trailer, it's not even a debate. She should have been fine.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Not to mention she overtook him her reveal trailer, it's not even a debate. She should have been fine.

She should. Some of them should have been fine. Bayonetta can jump into Purgatorio at any time, Shulk literally predicted the path of each beam and I suppose he's been caught as well for (in)consistency. Palutena is seen far away from the cliff when she appears, which means she either teleported or flew herself, which she could have kept on doing (and that could have saved Pit and Pittoo as well). Zelda and Mewtwo literally showed Palutena it wasn't a deflectable projectile... what was she thinking?
And also, yeah. Rosalina should have survived that too. But, y'know. Now we get to see red-eyed Rosie being angry and all menacing-looking.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
She should. Some of them should have been fine. Bayonetta can jump into Purgatorio at any time, Shulk literally predicted the path of each beam and I suppose he's been caught as well for (in)consistency. Palutena is seen far away from the cliff when she appears, which means she either teleported or flew herself, which she could have kept on doing (and that could have saved Pit and Pittoo as well). Zelda and Mewtwo literally showed Palutena it wasn't a deflectable projectile... what was she thinking?
And also, yeah. Rosalina should have survived that too. But, y'know. Now we get to see red-eyed Rosie being angry and all menacing-looking.
That's another reason why I'm sad that Rosalina didn't escape. With Kirby being the only fighter who avoided the attack, one would assume that he would also be the only fighter whom you'll never fight against during the adventure.

Mario was captured by Galeem, enabling Galeem to create Mario clones that would be possessed by dark spirits. If the real Mario is freed, however, then maybe Galeem would lose the ability to make more Mario clones.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
The thing is, in the Kirby trailer Rosalina and Luma traveled faster because of the Launch Star speed.

Which canonicaly gives you beyond words speed as in Galaxy.

However Rosalina and Luma just flew away like Diddy did and thats why the light caught them. If Luma transformed into a launch star, like they do in Galaxy , Rosalina would have been safer than Kirby.

Top Bottom