• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The bonds of Mother and Child are strong, Rosalina and Luma to return!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is Rosalina

She is the guardian of the cosmos introduced in Mario Galaxy and has since become a series staple. She travels the universe in comet observatory and is a truly mysterious figure in the series. She is strong and independent and cares deeply for the Luma's.

This is a Luma

These little fellas are the building blocks of the universe, once they've matured enough and had their fill of Star Bits, they can TRANSFOOOOORM into a planet, star or even a Galaxy. Rosalina cares for them until the day they are ready to leave the nest. They carry a deep bond for reasons detailed in her storybook

And of course, together, they joined the fray in Smash as Rosalina and Luma

Here's to her return!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Cheers. Her reveal made me excited since I liked her character debut from Galaxy which surprisingly had some story, though her Smash playstyle never quite synced with me to not much surprise, but is still fun to use here and there. Hopefully this time there'll be an HD Rainbow Road stage... Was a shame to only have the watered down looking one on 3DS after seeing how beautiful it looked in her reveal trailer.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I am completely at peace with myself in this for a few reasons:

1) Rosalina and Luma WILL NEVER be cut. Too popular and too likeable as fighters and characters to be cut so it's really not a concern as to wonder if they will return , because we all know they will.

2) Rosalina's playstayle is unique and she is a very prominent pick in tournaments so i have no doubt the new game will put her and Luma in a good position that's at least fun to play as.

3) Rosalina's voice actress is either still gonna be Kerri Kane (Smash 4 voice clips) or she will get completely new clips to reflect her cosmic nature that matches her Luma. Mark my words , she WILL NOT sound bad like she does in party games she will get justice and a great portrayal like the boss she is.

----------------------------------

All of this aside the only thing i wonder if it's Rosalina will get new tricks under her sleeve or will play mostly similar or identical to her debut.

Only time will tell, but im really excited for it.

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I also have hopes of Rosalina and Luma returning to Smash. So in Smash Switch, would Rosalina get a redesign or will they stay the same? I imagine that since it's very less likely to be a port, what kind of changes will they add to her wardrobe? I for one hope that they could keep the cosmos beneath her gown, and maybe have a cosmic spirit alt. And hopefully they change her final Smash as well, it would be really great.

Atomic_Shaymin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1805-2353-7958
I am sure she is gonna stick around for the next one. Definitely a fan favorite Mario character.
I just hope there aren't big changes to her kit

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
There's no reason for them to cut Rosalina: she's a fan favorite, has a unique playstyle and represents the Galaxy games (pls Nintendo, give us SMG3!)

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
She's more than likely gonna stay she's been everywhere lately in Mario games and her fanbase is rather large.

Even though I'm a :rosalina: main I gotta say her Down B needs a nerf in the next Smash game.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd like to see Rosalina have better air speed. Of course, as a drawback, the base knockback for some of the Luma's attacks will have to be toned down to avoid any cheap KO scenarios.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
As much as I hate smash for wii u and 3ds I hope she and a few other characters and a few stages are the only things to return from that game.

PF9

Smash Lord
Smash's resident Frozen fan (she looks like Elsa) should definitely return. I also ship her with Wario, she's into bad boys, but it's one-sided - Wario claims she only loves him for his money, which she vehemently denies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
New Aces trailer. Story is looking great and we might even see Rosalina talk in it

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So Rosi got a new quicker nair that has her swing her wand in a wide arc. Any other changes that anyone noticed?
As unlikely as it may be, It's possible that wand wave is related to her neutral-b in some way. Luma is detethered in that spotlight video.

Luminario

Smash Lord
As unlikely as it may be, It's possible that wand wave is related to her neutral-b in some way. Luma is detethered in that spotlight video.
She does it in the e3 presentation as well where they mention how there's tens of thousands of changes they made to the characters, with Luma tethered right there also doing a different animation for the attack instead of the back and forth sweep it does now. I'm pretty sure it's a new nair.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
her Final Smash now has a frame in which the Power star actually absords the players near, like Kirby's cook one in Brawl.

This is great because now it actually has more capacity of KO.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
So Rosi got a new quicker nair that has her swing her wand in a wide arc. Any other changes that anyone noticed?
I thought it was her new up air honestly, because I saw Luma going up but he always goes behind her when I look in the frames, her dress also glitches out during the animation lol.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I thought it was her new up air honestly, because I saw Luma going up but he always goes behind her when I look in the frames, her dress also glitches out during the animation lol.
You do see her up air in the trailer. It's right after she does her Nair from the up throw. she just does it really low to the ground

Last edited:

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
You do see her up air in the trailer. It's right after she does her Nair from the up throw. she just does it really low to the ground
Can you show the timestamp? Because I remember seeing her uptilt before the new attack, which one are you talking about?

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
If you guys want changes, I've noticed some, each with its own degree of importance...:
-When she dodges, she still teleports, but when she reappears, she also sparkles (like Palutena who still teleports but reappear in a soundwave-like blast)
-So yeah, gravitational pull equips items.
-Her hair is now fully animated: whereas it was just two blocks in Sm4sh (the first block being the hair on her head and the second being what is supposed to be loose), it's much more natural now. Her dress also has some new effects (like puffing itself a bit as she falls down) and it looks like her dress color has been changed a bit to reflect her original's...?
-The cosmos under her dress is shinier.
-When she uses Power Star, the background of the stage becomes galactic and really beautiful actually
-And finally, it looks like her feet shine when she waits for Luma to reappear (a bit like in Mario Tennis, where she always sparkles as well).

The two sources are her introduction video for everything but that last one, and for the sparkles, you see it during the E3 trailer at approximately 19:00.

Also, there are things people noted on the wiki, so:
-Rosalina's shield now covers Luma
-And Luma apparently has a Star K.O. animation, though I have not seen it yet.

For skins, she still has the white and red dress from Sm4sh and that's all we know so far.
And there's also everything you guys said, so the Fair with no ending lag, the Power Star drawing opponents in and finally her famous spin attack made it into Smash.

Finally, all her taunts are from Sm4sh, nothing is changed there. I do hope she gets new victory animations with incredible camera angles.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Really happy her Final Smash appears to be much better. While it did do massive damage before, it was simply to easy to dodge. I am hoping her Down Special gets reigned back a bit though. It had very little ending lag for how effective it was.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Also, there are things people noted on the wiki, so:
-Rosalina's shield now covers Luma
-And Luma apparently has a Star K.O. animation, though I have not seen it yet.
-----------
And there's also everything you guys said, so the Fair with no ending lag, the Power Star drawing opponents in and finally her famous spin attack made it into Smash.
If this is true I'm actually wondering if Luma has to have 0 HP when he's knocked into the top blast zone, or if Luma teleports to Rosalina when she's Star KO'ed so he can Star KO with her. Either way, I'd like to see Luma have a screen KO too (his body would squish up against the screen like Kirby or Pikachu).

I'm glad she has her spin attack is in the game since it's faster and more fitting for her than her old neutral-air. Dabuz thinks it's a downgrade, but considering Smash Ultimate is much more faster than Wii U, I consider her new neutral-air an upgrade (it could have more combo potential too).

Unrelated note: Since Luma could be getting Star KO's, maybe Olimar's Pikmin get Star KO'd too instead of just turning into spirits.

andimidna

Smash Master
It's probably moreso different than just a downgrade. Honestly the old one was really good at covering options and contributed to her ability to just have a lot of hitboxes out around her but she also lacked that quick option to get ppl off her in the air before without Luma. I'm imagining Rosas will probably be using this hit a lot when Luma's gone. Seems like a trade off and I'm guessing it won't have much range. It was nice to be able to nair after up air when you couldn't confirm another up air bc it could cover air dodges, but with the Directional Air Dodges, that probably wouldn't have worked anymore. Being above someone is gonna be a weaker position now regardless, so she still wants them there just the same. I like the change even if it's a little worse. I wonder if it would slow her downward momentum at all on hit, kinda like how it was an extra jump in SM3DW. I didn't look closely enough in her trailer to tell.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I think that they will maybe make solo Rosa stronger and nerf Luma. Nair now seems useful even when alone and by watching her trailer Luma upair seems to start at frame 6 instead of 3, obviously I don't know if this is true but the animation says a lot, his fist isn't even out before that.
Btw remember that the new nair looks a lot like Peach's so it's possible that we can set-up jablocks if it has a sourspot.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main problem with Rosalina's original n-air was its hitbox placements, as the hitboxes were positioned behind her when they activate. You couldn't exactly depend on it without the Luma if you wanted to perform short hop aerial attacks.

andimidna

Smash Master
That does sound interesting for nair. I heard you can immediately roll or get up out of jablocks now, negating their point. Is this true?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
According to GimR, it doesn't force you to stand, which means you can't just charge a Smash attack or starting to SH for a landing aerial

Also, I'd like to share this art

On that note, I'd like to share my thoughts on her render for the new game, or guess the implications of her confirmed changes(her Nair being different and now her shield actually protects Luma, on top of global changes like buffed approaching and automatic L-cancelling)

The reason I'm not doing that is because
1. I actually already did the first
2. I am currently in the process of going one step forward from when I just messed up with UE4 and I'm actually going to complete my first test animation with the assets I've currently ported to UE4, which is going to last over 3 minutes and half and is going to be animated in threes, or in its 60fps equivalent, once every 7 frames, which equals to 1860 poses for each character if I was insane enough, but fortunately there are multiple detractors, such as the character being off camera or the animating software interpolating poses by himself(e.g. a character being launched just needs the first and last frame of him being launched)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rosalina and Luma will still be great characters

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Anyone else disappointed with how they did Mario tennis adventure mode. Kinda wished Rosalina at least showed-up once but sadly didn't even get a single mention like what the hell. Also, This is what I imagine what happens after every smash fight

Last edited:
Top Bottom