• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Biggest Punching Bag in Gaming - Glass Joe for Smash! (No this is not a joke post)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
glass joe.png

Who is Glass Joe?

Glass Joe is the first opponent Little Mac faces in all of the Punch-Out titles, with the exception of both the arcade and SNES games titled Super Punch-Out. Originating from France, Glass Joe is a very weak boxer with a 1 - 99 win rate, with his only victory apparently obtained by beating Super Punch-Out final boss Nick Bruiser (supposedly due to a freak accident). He would later go on to create the official Glass Joe School of Boxing, with notable disciples such as Gabby Jay. Known for being laughably easy to defeat, Glass Joe is one of the most iconic Punch-Out characters and one of the most well-known weaklings in gaming in general.

Appearances

Glass Joe's first ever appearance was in Punch-Out for the arcades in 1983. As the first opponent you face he is fairly easy to defeat.

Glass Joe is perhaps most remembered as the first opponent in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on the NES in 1987. He switches between guarding high and low, so players can easily defeat him by punching him 3 times where he isn't blocking then switching to the other region. Glass Joe's most well-known move is him taking a step back and charging at Little Mac. Hitting him during his charge will instantly KO him.

Also as a bonus here's a video of the real life Mike Tyson losing to Glass Joe:

Glass Joe later appears in the Wii re-imagining of the original Punch-Out!! again appearing as the first opponent. After Little Mac wins the world championship, he faces against all of the people he defeated in the past which includes Glass Joe. After losing 100 times, Glass Joe is allowed to wear protection headgear in his fight against Little Mac

glassjoe.png

Glass Joe also appears as an unlockable trophy in both versions of SSB4.

Why Should Glass Joe be in Smash?
Smash Bros has always had joke characters in the past such as Jigglypuff, Pichu, Wii Fit Trainer, and Piranha Plant. Glass Joe would be another perfect addition to the roster of joke characters as he is a very iconic opponent in gaming. He would also be an ideal Punch-Out rep, a series which would be nice to have another rep. His chances are admittedly pretty low due to Piranha Plant being viewed as Ultimate's joke character, however there is always still a tiny of sliver of hope for DLC.

Victory Theme:

Alternate Costumes:

glass joe sprites.png

How Would He Play in Smash?

Glass Joe would be able to endure a lot of hits, as his main shtick in the Punch-Out series is that he's able to take such a beating and still continue to enter so many tournaments. He would play like a weaker Little Mac (though with a possible better recovery) in the same vein of how Pichu is to Pikachu.

He would also have a mechanic where he can taunt his opponent, which would result in Glass Joe both dealing and receiving more damage. This could make him a somewhat interesting glass cannon character to use.

Detailed Moveset and Palette Swaps coming soon! (Feel free to post your own ideas as well)

----------------------------------

Would you like to see Glass Joe someday in Smash? Comment below to join the support group for everyone's favorite French Fighter.

Members of the Glass Joe School of Boxing (Supporters):

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
I'll support this guy, I had the idea of him being the Pichu to Little Mac's Pikachu except Joe has a stellar recovery.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I just don’t know why you’d wanna play as the guy who’s known for being weak. If we ever got another Punch Out!! Character, I’d prefer to see the boxers that gave Mac an actual challenge, like Bald Bull or Sandman for instance. While no, there isn’t anything in particular that puts them in a higher priority than Joe, and he IS a noteworthy opponent just as much as Bull, I think a Heavyweight boxer best exemplifies what Mac’s opponents are, and best augments and shows off Mac as an underdog. He faces down massive titans and wins in spite of his smaller stature. Having Joe as the second rep doesn’t bring with it that same kind of feeling.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
My pick for a second punch-out rep would be Hippo or Bald Bull, but I wouldn't say no to Joe, though I'd rather get a lot of other characters first.

EDIT: Actually this reminds me of back in the day when more people supported Bald Bull than Little Mac in the brawl days for like, no reason....

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My pick for a second punch-out rep would be Hippo or Bald Bull, but I wouldn't say no to Joe, though I'd rather get a lot of other characters first.

EDIT: Actually this reminds me of back in the day when more people supported Bald Bull than Little Mac in the brawl days for like, no reason....
The probable reasoning for supporting Punch-Out characters other than Little Mac during Brawl speculation was probably the whole "Assist Trophy = deconfirmation for playable" thing.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Back in the times of making our dream lists and ideas, Glass Joe got on mine. Admittedly so did Bonkers from Kirby and a couple of others because I felt they’d fit the Pichu/Dan Hibiki role of clone characters you pick to handicap yourself.

Since then there has been the advent of echo characters. Which makes me support this idea more knowing they can have completely customized animations.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I support, Glass Joe was always my top choice for a joke character, plus he's pretty well known, even among people who never played Punch-Out.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not opposed. Add me to the support list!

Glass Joe would be a funny fighter and I would totally main him over Mac.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
The probable reasoning for supporting Punch-Out characters other than Little Mac during Brawl speculation was probably the whole "Assist Trophy = deconfirmation for playable" thing.
That's the weird part, I remember people pulling for Hippo and Bull instead of Mac before assist trophies were even officially revealed. Before the game even had an official title even, back when the Wii was called Nintendo Revoluition.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Thanks to everyone who has supported Glass Joe so far! I just finished what his alternate colors would look like (see if you can guess all the references without searching up the characters):

glass joe sprites.png

I'll be working on his moveset in the coming days.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I don't think Punchout needs any additional characters. One boxer is enough.

...now unless we can get someone that mixes it up with some additional elements outside of just pure boxing, like some of the more ridiculous characters in Punchout, that could have potential. But something like Glass Joe is best kept as an echo or semi-clone, which I guess wouldn't work anyways because Mac be a tiny man and Glass Joe is normal sized.

I have to pass on Glass Joe personally. I can at least admire the idea of another joke character, but it doesn't add anything to the roster as far as moveset potential goes.

D

Deleted member

I was JUST thinking about how I would like more Joke Characters and how PERFECT Glass Joe is. I want to enlist in Glass Joe school of boxing please.

EDIT: YAY!!! I'm in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom