• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Damn, Michigan scene seems kinda dead. I remember when people were posting on here every 2 minutes.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
OU Hype!!!

I'm actually looking for some people going to Oakland University that I could friendly with on Smash 4 and was wondering if I could join in.
If you search OU Smash or Oakland University Smash you will find the group of players there. I just graduated so I don't play there anymore :L

Dope_Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DeBoe4sho
haaaaayyyyyyy
Hope your doin good Lain. I've been missing the old MI smash scene was just talkin to anther about it the other day. Wixomz miss ya'll but we're holding it down in CO. Try n make it out for a tourney we'll get together n kick it like back in the day. Someone Tell Joel n Dope I said WHAs Up. Keep Killin' em !!

Vayseth

Smash Master
Hey guys, just want to put out a few reminders out there. The next GGSS (#6!!) is THIS SUNDAY. Yes, Feb's and March's tournaments are back to back weekends.

People seem to not have adjusted to our new time schedule. I'm going to be much more strict about timing due to Smash 4's new 3-stock rule making tournaments Run very, VERY long. Please, please, PLEASE if at all possible be at the venue before noon. I don't want to sign up 20 people at exactly noon I want to have sign ups completed by noon. Come down early, set up your TV and Wii U and play friendlies for an hour or so before we get doubles started. This is of course mostly intended for players interested in entering doubles. I will be registering singles until 2 pm.

We got 11 set ups last time and this was AMAZING. I was able to have multiple friendly stations running all day and paid back 10 venue fees. I want to keep doing this. Bring your set ups and I will try my best to make room for them SOMEWHERE!

Also, it seems like MI's power players never seem to all be at GGSS at the same time. I was trying to figure out why we have been getting 40-45 players instead of 60-65 for the past 2 tournaments and I found out it's not the regulars, it's those who tend to travel to GG. I hope to see all the power players in MI at this next one and I want to break 64 players again. Not being able to pay out to top 8 for the past two tournaments has been bothering me.

Here's the smashboards and facebook links! Let me or Gifts know if you all have any questions in a PM or a comment here.

Facebook Event

Updated Smash Boards Thread

See you THIS SUNDAY (at 10 am! Please?)

Vayseth

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post but I also wanted to post a reminder about Gamer's for Giving here. Not sure if it was posted in this thread but there's a charity tournament going on in the Ann Arbor area on Feb 22nd. Here's the details: http://gamersforgiving.org/

It's also the pinned post on the MI Smash 4 FB group.

Samn

Smash Cadet
OU Hype!!!

I'm actually looking for some people going to Oakland University that I could friendly with on Smash 4 and was wondering if I could join in.
Yo, I'm Sam and I run the Oakland University Smash group on FB so if you join that we can talk about meeting up and playing more often. Currently I bring a Smash 4 and PM setup to the game room Tuesday/Friday from noon to closing at nine. I'm mostly big on PM but I'm pretty good at Smash 4 and wouldn't mind getting better. Also, anyone else who goes to OU or lives close should join the group and try and come out. We have a good mix of casuals and good players so whatever skill level you are you can get good practice. Also it wouldn't hurt to bring a setup as the smash 4 setup can get a little crowded.

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, people should come out to the smashfests that are going to start happening atthe Clinton-Macomb Main Library in their amazing auditorium, where we'll be able to have tons of space to have these events, along with a projector, mic system, and a kitchen.
The first date will be March 19th which is on a Thursday from 4pm to 9pm.
These events will (hopefully) work to where there will be a Smashfest every other month on a Thursday, and a tournament days will be on a Saturday for the other months.
If there is enough attendance for either Smashfests or tournament days, there will be free pizza/food.
Hope to see people come out to this!
PS:This is a better option for some than going all the way out to Livonia during the week, Ori.

Samn

Smash Cadet
Oakland is definitely the middle ground, where we could totally meet up and not fight about location.

Samn

Smash Cadet
We got plenty of Oakland dudes, I just need practice against characters that aren't Ganon, Roy, Yoshi, and DDD lol.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
We got plenty of Oakland dudes, I just need practice against characters that aren't Ganon, Roy, Yoshi, and DDD lol.
When my work term starts up near the end of March I'll try to come out to Oakland / you could come over some time. I'd love to learn more about the Squirtle / Falco MU's. DDD & Ganon aren't too much trouble since they're combo food and I play Josh's Yoshi all the time.

Samn

Smash Cadet
They are different monsters here man. Our Ganon Kuma beat Zinoto at GG and our Yoshi SDY is much more technical/combo heavy than Railz, even though their games are really close, I think he won last time they played. And you know Yono's Roy lol. Also I don't play Flaco as much nowadays, my Fox is probably better tbh.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
They are different monsters here man. Our Ganon Kuma beat Zinoto at GG and our Yoshi SDY is much more technical/combo heavy than Railz, even though their games are really close, I think he won last time they played. And you know Yono's Roy lol. Also I don't play Flaco as much nowadays, my Fox is probably better tbh.
Railz's Yoshi def. doesn't 0-death anyone partially from my DI and also from learning everything purely by himself with absolutely no guides and very little time truly studying top Yoshi's (aMSa, Hamyojo, etc) compared to watching for entertainment & hype. He does however have a consistent combo game that always racks on at least 30% up to 80% in combos, whereas from what I saw of SDY, used gimmicky combos that would not normally work with proper DI/SDI. In tournament SDY beat Railz barely, but in their friendlies after, I recall him saying they went even if not slightly in his favor *shrugs*

I do want to learn the Ganon MU slightly better. I'm working on playing Ganon and learning when typical Ganon players use certain moves and why. Same for Roy. I vs Revy / Revydog (Tetra's partner in teams) a few times and Yono's Roy. Not hardly enough to know the MU outside of attempting to study Neon vs Sethlon at LTC2 which was 3.02 sadly. I also suck against swords characters and people who constantly grab, which is why vsing Fox/Marth players is annoying af. *watch me playing vs any grab hungry Fox/Marth, ever*

Nobody around me really plays spacies, and definitely not at a level as you do. Only reason I don't suck completely at the MU is through playing them myself, vsing CPUs to get a feel of their gameplay, and the very few times I've vsed spacies in tournament (MI has almost no top lvl PM Spacies users outside of Lain & Anther). I want to learn to bop spacies outside of my sandbox practice. I finally beat my friend's average level Fox in tournament last weekend, but outside of that, I haven't played vs human spacies in forever...

PS. wow at Kuma beating Zinoto. Even if he is slightly rusty in PM, good stuff Kuma.

Last edited:

Samn

Smash Cadet
Funny thing is SDY would probably be way better but he's mostly a Melee yoshi lol. He's actually quite a bit better than me at melee too...

jv3x3

Smash Champion
This topic is still going strong huh. 1.4 mil views. Pretty epic. Just wanted to drop in and mention there is a gamers for giving smash 4 tournament this weekend at EMU. Its ran by a buddy of mine and most importantly its for a great charity cause. So hopefully anyone in the area can stop by. I will probably hook up some Melee at some point there as well.

http://gamersforgiving.org/gamers-for-giving-is-this-weekend/ is their homepage if you want to get some info

P.S. The first post of this topic is hella outdated. Someone should write a new blurb that I can edit in there

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
The first post is legendary, I vote not to change it

Also the EMU tourney is all capped out but anyone can still go! Free redbull all weekend

ZeroToDeath

Smash Rookie
We're looking to put a bit more life into Michigan and the rest of the region here soon. Weekly tournaments and Circuits incoming.

Top Bottom