• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big House 9: Wobbling Banned & Ledge Grab Limit

TBH9 rules.jpg

With The Big House 9 being less than 50 days away we have the ruleset for Super Smash Bros. Melee and the announcement that Super Smash Bros. is returning. The ruleset for Melee will feature a ban on wobbling and a Ledge Grab Limit of 60.
Here’s a quote from TO of The Big House, Robin “Jugglerob” Harn addressing the ban.

“* It’s what the majority of in-person tournament attendees prefer right now.

As a TO, it’s best to balance what I think is healthiest for the game and what the attendees prefer, and in recent months the pendulum has swung back towards a preference by attendees for wobbling to be banned. This wasn’t necessarily the case a couple years ago, but I believe the overall sentiment was skewed for a long time by Evo’s wobbling legal stance — after all, it’s hard for TOs to go against the ruleset of the biggest event of the year, and I’m certainly guilty in some capacity too. As with any ruleset updates, I encourage TOs to think freely and make decisions best for their event. At this point I value attendees’ feedback above all else, and it’s time to go back to our Big House roots there.”

In addition to the Melee Ruleset, Smash 64 is making a return:

Smash 64 makes the fourth game at The Big House 9. The other three games that will be making an appearance are Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Melee, and Rivals of Aether

Author's Note: I don't have much of a stake in the wobbling discussion nor the ledge grab limit myself, but it's interesting to see a game made almost 20 years ago still having active debates centered around it. I do also think Jugglerob brings up a great point. Curious to hear other thoughts; let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I wonder why, it's not like anyone think ice climbers is going to win the tournament with wobbling.

How does the ledge grab limit get enforced? Someone sits there counting? If a player reaches 60 grabs then they lose the game?

Roycet Roycet For me the issue is the fact there is alot of things that ICs can do out of a grab that IC players nowadays are just too lazy (and probably too stupid) to even do. IMO they are probably the weakest players because of the amount of IC players that use wobbling regularly or just abuse it, none of them can do **** if Nana is killed whereas other players that can actually optimize ICs can do alot even with Sopo.

How does the ledge grab limit get enforced? Someone sits there counting? If a player reaches 60 grabs then they lose the game?
In the results screen, there is something called "cliffhangers" which tells you how many times you grabbed the ledge. If they go over it, I believe they forfeit that game but not the set

I spose that Wobble ban will make the minuscule amount of Icies players happy. *eyeroll* Has wobbling even been an issue for years now? I guess they'll just have to use more chain grabs and figure out a few new ways (if any) to kill effectively.

Top Bottom