• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big House 5 Melee capped

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team

The following is a mirror copy of the original article by Juggleguy here, with his permission to re-post.

Melee Singles has reached its cap of 1024 entrants, which means registration is now closed for that event at The Big House 5 coming up October 2-4, 2015 in Dearborn, MI. This news is both exciting, for us to see the historic level of turnout, and also scary, for prospective attendees who did not register yet.

I’m here to address the latter. There will be a way to raise the Melee Singles cap, but it will take a collective community effort, which I’m going to call “The Big House Compendium” at the moment. More details about this will be announced next week.

Let me explain why this is the case. Since the initial planning stages, my TO staff and I have put together a pools schedule, equipment inventory, and floor plan that accommodated up to 1024 Melee Singles entrants at TBH5. We do have the space and time to expand, but for us to re-work the tourney structure to scale to a higher entrants cap, we need a considerable increase in event resources and manpower. That’s where we hope the community can help cover that cost.

Of course, I don’t expect contributions without something extra in return. All donors will be rewarded with different levels of individual content, and even unlockable spectator content as we reach stretch goals. Anyone, either player or spectator, will be able to contribute towards these stretch goals. Help us help you participate in one of the biggest Smash tourneys of all-time. Since it will take a few days to gather all the information, look for an announcement next week with more details on how this will all go down. I promise you will like it.

The Big House 5 is currently the 3rd-biggest Melee tournament of all-time, ahead of Evo 2014 (970 entrants) and behind Apex 2015 (1037 entrants).

Registration for Melee Singles will tentatively open again when the corresponding Big House Compendium goal has been reached. Details to be announced next week.

Registration for Melee Doubles is closed, as its cap of 512 entrants has also been reached.

Registration for Wii U Singles and Wii U Doubles is still open today, as the cap has not been reached for either event.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Really cool to see so much growth in so little time for melee. Looking forward to it

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
you know i was first comment one time but an admin deleted it cuz i think i posted too much. i was so hyped u know its first comment i have bragging rights

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't know TBH was bigger than Evo...
2014, not 2015. The article makes the assumption that you know Evo 2015 is #1 and goes on to add that TBH5 sits between 2nd and 4th place.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
When I see these figures it makes me want to do a happy dance!
GO MELEE GO MELEE GO MELEE GO! :awesome::awesome::awesome::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:EmbarrassEmbarrassEmbarrass

Zoa

Smash Ace
I'll definitely be watching this. Hopefully this will get the necessary volunteers to push this to the second largest Melee tournament to date. Second golden age of Melee is still happening. Let's ride it till the end.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I'll definitely be watching this. Hopefully this will get the necessary volunteers to push this to the second largest Melee tournament to date. Second golden age of Melee is still happening. Let's ride it till the end.
yessssssss thank you Nintendo for still not making a Smash game that surpasses Melee or tries to do what it did.

Saves me from having to buy new crap consoles and new smash games :]

14 more years!
Let's GO!

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
I'd say let's make a community effort for more entrants! PPMD said in his twitter that he was unfortunately too late to register, so I'm all for extra registrations to see one of my favorite players to compete!

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
Seeing these numbers rise double the previous years events is incredible. I still think we need Melee HD so there can be online qualifiers for a few of these tournaments. Before too long these venues are going to be way too packed.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
:(

was thinking about whether i could actually go since it was a lot sooner than i thought and i wouldn't have to miss much school for it since i don't live too far compared to most others (i live in chicago)
i guess the first time i go to a major is probably gonna be in 2016, then; maybe genesis 3 if i save up enough money

BUT TBH6 WE IN THERE

Last edited:

-Nebula-

Smash Cadet
I was planning on attending for Smash 4 until I found out every controller but wired Gamecube is banned...

Maybe both caps would've been reached by now if that weren't the case. Quite a shame, I was looking forward to my first major.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
So, I have to admit.. On that graph, I thought it said the biggest tourny was at EVO in the year of 1869..

:l

D

Deleted member

Ignoring that I don't think it is (unlike Brawl), ..."new crap consoles" is just a cringeworthy statement.
for me, Smash 4 just feels too... fake. I know video games have never been particularly real, per say, however there's something about Smash 4 that makes me feel like I'm back in kindergarten. Whether it be the overly-vibrant colors, the cartoony expressions, the streaks on a lot of attacks, the excessive lights (like when getting launched, or the lightning from getting hit hard), or the unsatisfying collision SFXs (like when you hit somebody), it just makes for a bad experience.
Not to mention the unbalanced gameplay :)

As for the consoles, Nintendo killed themselves ever since they launched the Wii. It was too good, you could say. and because that console started to age and decline in popularity, while Nintendo made another console, it somewhat crippled them.
Here's an equation

Pre-Launch Hype = X% (we'll be using numbers)

Games (both quality and quantity. Includes channels) = X/X (1-10/10)

Significance = X (numbers)

Uniqueness (how unique the console is) = X/X (numbers)

Decline (the current decline by the most recent year) = A-F (F being the highest)

Decline rate (post-peak sales decline rate) = XX (the first X = a number, and the second X = a multiplier of 1)

Response (how much impact it had on fans) = X% (numbers)

Enjoyability (how enjoyable the console is) = X% (numbers)

Growth rate (how much the console is growing) = X% (numbers/no caps)

Decay rate (the rate at which people "grow into" the console) XX (numbers)

Persistence (how many people still want another Nintendo console) X% (numbers)

Abandon rate (how many people eventually abandon the console) X% (numbers)

Satisfaction (how many people are okay with their current console) X% (numbers)

Conclusion (the conclusion judging by the statistics) *sentence format*

Wii
Pre-Launch Hype = 90%/100%
Games = 10/10
Significance (launch) = 100/100
Uniqueness (overall) = 10/10
Decline (post-peak) = E-F
Decline Rate (from post-peak, to current) = 50x/100
Response (launch) = 98%/100%
Enjoyability (overall) = 100%/100%
Growth Rate __ (The Wii has stopped growing)
Decay Rate (by 2015) = 90/100
Persistence (after purchase) = 40%/100%
Abandon Rate (after purchase) = 20%/100%
Satisfaction (after purchase/2015) 40%/100%

Conclusion: The Wii had strong initial statistics, but it suffered from aging and desensitization/disregard just like the other consoles, however, due to the Wii's success, once this console died, along with it went any other hopes of making another console worthy enough to succeed the Wii and win back the hearts of the (already content) fans.

Wii U
Pre-Launch Hype = 40%/100%
Games = 3/10
Significance (launch) = 10/100
Uniqueness = 4/10
Decline (post-peak) = __ (The Wii U hasn't begun to decline yet)
Decline Rate (from post-peak, to current) = __ (the Wii U hasn't begun to decline yet)
Response (launch) = 42%/100%
Enjoyability (overall) = 0%/100%
Growth Rate = 40%
Decay Rate (by 2015) = 50/100
Persistence (after purchase) = __ (the Wii U hasn't been replaced yet)
Abandon Rate (after purchase) = 30%/100% (this may increase later on)
Satisfaction (after purchase/2015) = __

Conclusion: Wii U hasn't gotten off to a good start, and due to it's moralistic developmental viewpoint, it may never properly regain it's footing. As opposed to trying to make a Next-Gen Wii, Nintendo could've simply polished it up, and improved the aesthetics/a few other things. As opposed to terminating Wii services off the face of the Earth, they should've been transported and redesigned for use on the New Wii. As opposed to morphing a Wii Balance Board into a controller, they should've simply dropped the concept altogether and instead worked on making better controllers. As opposed to trying to be the same and make the Wii U a next gen console, they should've focused on making it a pleasant one. The Wii U also should've had more Channels built into it, as that was part of what made the Wii so great to begin with. With no focus on the Channels, and all focus on overpriced, linear games, there is no sense of enjoyment whatsoever in the Wii U. You can't just sit down one day and enter Check Mii out Channel, you can't go on the Weather Channel before heading to work, you can't check the News Channel to catch up on what you've missed, you can just buy Amiibo for Smash U, or pay 60 bucks for a Sonic Boom game, or pay 60 bucks to get Old Super Mario Bros: Wii U edition.
And even on some of the remaining channels, like the Mii Channel (or rather Mii Maker), they made it so futuristic and toy-shelf like that I can't even recognize it anymore, it all looks so alien to me. Nintendo failed this time around. They got rid of the very thing that made people enjoy their consoles: fun and enjoyment. You can't sit down at a couch with your friends and play some Wii U. You can play Wii Sports on the Wii U, but it's only enjoyable when played on it's home console. The Wii U is the ultimate mix of repetition and flawed uniqueness, and it is exactly because of these flaws that the Wii will be honored and remembered by many, while the Wii U sits in shelves of many, until, perhaps, the future?
Nintendo's story has already been closed by the Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Ignoring that I don't think it is (unlike Brawl), ..."new crap consoles" is just a cringeworthy statement.
"New crap consoles" is a pretty accurate statement. Everyone in the industry feels that way, even most Nintendo fanboy journalists. Nintendo's sad sale figures reflect these sentiments as do the sale numbers of AAA first party games like Zelda for the new console.

So if you actually think that's "cringeworthy", you're probably severely biased or don't own/play the other consoles.

The Wii failed because none of those casuals bought more than 1-2 games and just played Wii sports....Nintendo has decided to ignore the hardcore audience in favor of the more fickle casual and new gamers. All the smart hardcore fans have converted by now or abandonded modern Nintendo completely, since Nintendo doesn't give a crap about them. They are choosing gimmicks and experimental tech over what they were known for - a high quality vast library (including 3rd party support, gimmicks scare away good developers), cutting edge but affordable tech and contemporary ingenuity. With Nintendo; games used to always come first, now they are just being tryhards with new dumb ways to play videogames. The gimmicks have to be genius to have a long life, since the DS they haven't been anywhere close.

@Mario Smith ....Woah that's an impressive write-up.

Last edited:

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
"New crap consoles" is a pretty accurate statement. Everyone in the industry feels that way, even most Nintendo fanboy journalists. Nintendo's sad sale figures reflect these sentiments as do the sale numbers of AAA first party games like Zelda for the new console.

So if you actually think that's "cringeworthy", you're probably severely biased or don't own/play the other consoles.

The Wii failed because none of those casuals bought more than 1-2 games and just played Wii sports....Nintendo has decided to ignore the hardcore audience in favor of the more fickle casual and new gamers. All the smart hardcore fans have converted by now or abandonded modern Nintendo completely, since Nintendo doesn't give a crap about them. They are choosing gimmicks and experimental tech over what they were known for - a high quality vast library (including 3rd party support, gimmicks scare away good developers), cutting edge but affordable tech and contemporary ingenuity. With Nintendo; games used to always come first, now they are just being tryhards with new dumb ways to play videogames. The gimmicks have to be genius to have a long life, since the DS they haven't been anywhere close.

@Mario Smith ....Woah that's an impressive write-up.
This is kind of the reason why I've been converting to PC gaming; you get more variety in your games, not to mention games that are not just fun, but also unique. Inserting a gimmick doesn't make your game unique, it means you've inserted a gimmick. I've also been incredibly hesitant with purchasing a Wii U because not only is it expensive, but there just isn't any title that is grabbing me. I don't care if Splatoon or Smash 4 Wii U is a must have for the Wii U. They just aren't grabbing my attention. Plus, Smash 4 was fun for a time, and I'll still play it for fun, but I'll still stick to Melee as I find it much more enjoyable from a competitive stand point.

D

Deleted member

This is kind of the reason why I've been converting to PC gaming; you get more variety in your games, not to mention games that are not just fun, but also unique. Inserting a gimmick doesn't make your game unique, it means you've inserted a gimmick. I've also been incredibly hesitant with purchasing a Wii U because not only is it expensive, but there just isn't any title that is grabbing me. I don't care if Splatoon or Smash 4 Wii U is a must have for the Wii U. They just aren't grabbing my attention. Plus, Smash 4 was fun for a time, and I'll still play it for fun, but I'll still stick to Melee as I find it much more enjoyable from a competitive stand point.
Agreed. I unfortunately purchased a Wii U a few years back, so I can tell you first-hand that it isn't worth it. As for Splatoon and Smash 4, I haven't purchased Splatoon, but I have Smash Wii U. Looking at Splatoon, I don't think it's worth it, and looking at Smash 4, I know it's not worth it.

For me, while I like games a lot, it's usually the channels that grab my attention, the problem is that the Wii U doesn't really have any (besides the disk channel), and because of this, the experience just feels empty.

As far as competitive gameplay goes... stay away from Smash 4. there's no tech skill, the balance is poor (I'm not joking), it feels empty (my above post explains why), and the gameplay modes are lackluster.
Melee has it's problems. true. However, it's still an amazing game, and due to the constantly growing tech skill, as well as the competitive and challenging gameplay, it allows the game to thrive.

Personally I think that people should start making as many Brawl mods as possible, that way, we won't need Smash 4, but not only that; we could bring more life to these threads. Just imagine, everybody making texture hacks, or moveset hacks, gameplay hacks, codes, spinoffs, full game mods. Then, we could have Smash 4 and more, and we wouldn't even have to waste one buck on Nintendo's uninteresting games.

So far, I have been working on two Brawl Mods, however, I decided not to name them, as I've come here to state my opinion, not to advertise.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Agreed. I unfortunately purchased a Wii U a few years back, so I can tell you first-hand that it isn't worth it. As for Splatoon and Smash 4, I haven't purchased Splatoon, but I have Smash Wii U. Looking at Splatoon, I don't think it's worth it, and looking at Smash 4, I know it's not worth it.

For me, while I like games a lot, it's usually the channels that grab my attention, the problem is that the Wii U doesn't really have any (besides the disk channel), and because of this, the experience just feels empty.

As far as competitive gameplay goes... stay away from Smash 4. there's no tech skill, the balance is poor (I'm not joking), it feels empty (my above post explains why), and the gameplay modes are lackluster.
Melee has it's problems. true. However, it's still an amazing game, and due to the constantly growing tech skill, as well as the competitive and challenging gameplay, it allows the game to thrive.

Personally I think that people should start making as many Brawl mods as possible, that way, we won't need Smash 4, but not only that; we could bring more life to these threads. Just imagine, everybody making texture hacks, or moveset hacks, gameplay hacks, codes, spinoffs, full game mods. Then, we could have Smash 4 and more, and we wouldn't even have to waste one buck on Nintendo's uninteresting games.

So far, I have been working on two Brawl Mods, however, I decided not to name them, as I've come here to state my opinion, not to advertise.
Smash 4 is far from uninteresting, it's a new game with great potential and room for growth and a solid competitive community. Smash 4 has the potential to have a greatly successful competitive life if the extremely stubborn Smash community can open up their minds as to what exactly makes a game competitive and start to *gasp* try new things. I love Melee and I love Smash 4, Melee is certainly better suited for competitive play you won't get any arguments out of me there but, Smash 4 has the potential to be something great if people will let it which unfortunately I don't see happening due to how unbelievably stubborn and hard to please the Smash community is. Smash 4 can teach a player good fundamentals which is the foundation of competitive play in any fighting game, and those fundamentals carry over to all the other Smash games including Melee. It really disappoints me to see how close-minded and stubborn the Smash community can be sometimes.

tl;dr Smash 4 has the potential to be successful competitively if people will let it (which unfortunately they probably won't)

Also, technical =/= competitive

Also, on topic it's amazing to see that Melee after almost 15 years is still going strong and attracting huge numbers at tournaments hopefully TBH5 will bring some hype-worthy moments of both Melee and SSB4.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I don't share the same harsh sentiments about Smash 4, it's alright and I have a lot more respect for it than Brawl. But it's sad how lazy the game design and balancing was. It's had to be patched so many times and still continues to be....to fix both glaring issues and things that don't need to be changed at all.

Playing Smash 4 can be fun, but watching Smash 4 is too hit and miss for me. certain MUs are really hype and exciting, others are very boring no matter the level of play. Teams are the most entertaining to watch, singles pools with really casual looking players is almost unbearable. But then even top 8 can be just sad to watch, so predictable and cookie cutter. Not much room for emergent gameplay or unexpected situations. The inconsistent commentary (usually faking hype) is annoying as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be honest, I prefer Brawl over Smash 4. While Smash 4 is more offensive than Brawl, it's less interesting/demanding. I have literally been able to win online tournaments against skilled players by walking around and spamming attacks. I'm not bad at the game, I just know how to exploit it. Whenever I try to take the game seriously, I wind up losing to some casual scrub who roll/attack spams as Sonic, Sheik, or Falcon.

I hate the "anyone's game" concept that Sakurai was shooting for. It isn't even fair. How come I can play Falcon (who I barely ever play) and destroy real people (not FG), yet if I play Mewtwo (my most used character) all of a sudden I get 3-Stocked?

This game is a letdown for me, mostly due to the fact that there's no consistency. One second I'll be destroying people in Mewtwo dittos, the next second a Falcon/Sheik/Diddy/Rosalina noob obliterates me.
At a certain point, I got so frustrated that I invented a way to prevent opponents from winning called "Ban Blocking", which involves either popping out the 3DS cartridge, or unplugging your Wii U.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
To be honest, I prefer Brawl over Smash 4. While Smash 4 is more offensive than Brawl, it's less interesting/demanding. I have literally been able to win online tournaments against skilled players by walking around and spamming attacks. I'm not bad at the game, I just know how to exploit it. Whenever I try to take the game seriously, I wind up losing to some casual scrub who roll/attack spams as Sonic, Sheik, or Falcon.

I hate the "anyone's game" concept that Sakurai was shooting for. It isn't even fair. How come I can play Falcon (who I barely ever play) and destroy real people (not FG), yet if I play Mewtwo (my most used character) all of a sudden I get 3-Stocked?

This game is a letdown for me, mostly due to the fact that there's no consistency. One second I'll be destroying people in Mewtwo dittos, the next second a Falcon/Sheik/Diddy/Rosalina noob obliterates me.
At a certain point, I got so frustrated that I invented a way to prevent opponents from winning called "Ban Blocking", which involves either popping out the 3DS cartridge, or unplugging your Wii U.
Honestly, it sounds like you just need to, for lack of a better phrase, "git gud" certain characters are better than others that's why there are tier lists also Mewtwo is terrible in Smash 4 so that might be why you're getting rekt by "noobs" Falcon on the other hand is a very viable high tier character who happens to be extremely easy to use which is why you're experiencing better luck with him. Also, if they're obliterating you they're probably not a "noob"

D

Deleted member

Honestly, it sounds like you just need to, for lack of a better phrase, "git gud" certain characters are better than others that's why there are tier lists also Mewtwo is terrible in Smash 4 so that might be why you're getting rekt by "noobs" Falcon on the other hand is a very viable high tier character who happens to be extremely easy to use which is why you're experiencing better luck with him. Also, if they're obliterating you they're probably not a "noob"
See? That's what the entire community, as one collective whole, resorts too whenever somebody talks about a valid and justified flaw in the game. I could fight you and beat you with only 20% effort if I so desired, and it's because of my skill that I know this game is unfair.

Ask Vexor1011 and GoldenBrawler, the latter attends tournaments frequently and I can manage him fairly easily.

So, unless you want to fight me, then you need to "git gud", as you so eloquently put it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention the unbalanced gameplay :)
meanwhile melee is quite a large margin more imbalanced. a very big portion of the characters in smash4 are viable

not sure if the smiley face means you're trolling or not.. but anyone with a brain knows that melee is on a whole other level of imbalance if you think smash4 is imbalanced.

don't get me wrong, i love melee, i love pm, i love smash4. i actually prefer pm currently. but i'm not so delusional as to mention smash4's imbalanced gameplay in a melee thread, quit clownin'

stay away from Smash 4. there's no tech skill
wow i just read this from one of your other posts. this is 100% proof that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

back on topic, i'm really happy to see melee flourishing like this, these numbers are unreal

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
See? That's what the entire community, as one collective whole, resorts too whenever somebody talks about a valid and justified flaw in the game. I could fight you and beat you with only 20% effort if I so desired, and it's because of my skill that I know this game is unfair.

Ask Vexor1011 and GoldenBrawler, the latter attends tournaments frequently and I can manage him fairly easily.

So, unless you want to fight me, then you need to "git gud", as you so eloquently put it.
lol yeah 20% effort my ass what are you Frieza? get real kid
Also, what valid points did you make again? It seems like you were just crying and giving some salty johns as to why you lose in SSB4. Then again what do I know I'm just a "noob" :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom