• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BEST ssbu falco in the world

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
For those who are unaware Kofi is an absolute god with falco having some unexpectedly high placings with such a bad character. With 65th at Genesis 6 and 65th at Collision 2019. He is a perfect example of every character being viable no matter how bad as long as you play good. Kofi almost took a game off Leffen,Marss,took a game off Frozen and beat Sinji with a solid 3-0. When the first SUPGR (Smash Ultimate Panda global Rankings) I hope to see Kofi be on it and i hope to see more Falco players step up considering my friend is one His aerials as a edgeguard is pretty damn good and for comboing to. He is also one of the most technichal and strategical falcos i have ever seen oh yeah and he is actually one of the only falcos that uses his lasers to his full advantage and actually manages to combo his lasers into up airs or fairs.

Not as bad as you think...
:ultfalco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzLLnDyBxk

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
For those who are unaware Kofi is an absolute god with falco having some unexpectedly high placings with such a bad character. With 65th at Genesis 6 and 65th at Collision 2019. He is a perfect example of every character being viable no matter how bad as long as you play good. Kofi almost took a game off Leffen,Marss,took a game off Frozen and beat Sinji with a solid 3-0. When the first SUPGR (Smash Ultimate Panda global Rankings) I hope to see Kofi be on it and i hope to see more Falco players step up considering my friend is one His aerials as a edgeguard is pretty damn good and for comboing to. He is also one of the most technichal and strategical falcos i have ever seen oh yeah and he is actually one of the only falcos that uses his lasers to his full advantage and actually manages to combo his lasers into up airs or fairs.

Not as bad as you think...
:ultfalco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzLLnDyBxk
Not as bad as YOU think.

Falco is a quite technical character, has a huge learning curve and is hard to master. But he can be very rewarding and is not bad at all. For what that means, Falco is usually ranked as a mid tier character.

Larry Lurr is an extremely good Falco player. He placed well at recent tournaments and watching his footage I think he is becoming stronger and stronger. Likely the best Falco on the competitive scene, even if he is also using other spacies.
A Falco player that I like very much is Trixx. Not sure to what level he is exactly but his Meta Of Smash videos are just great and he explains very well how to play Falco. Amazing teacher!
LL and Trixx are the two players who got me to main Falco.
And I don't see a more stylish character!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
@OP
Not as bad as YOU think.

Falco is a quite technical character, has a huge learning curve and is hard to master. But he can be very rewarding and is not bad at all. For what that means, Falco is usually ranked as a mid tier character.

Larry Lurr is an extremely good Falco player. He placed well at recent tournaments and watching his footage I think he is becoming stronger and stronger. Likely the best Falco on the competitive scene, even if he is also using other spacies.
A Falco player that I like very much is Trixx. Not sure to what level he is exactly but his Meta Of Smash videos are just great and he explains very well how to play Falco. Amazing teacher!
LL and Trixx are the two players who got me to main Falco.
Ik about Larry Lurr To But with him he also mains Wolf and Fox and not solo Falco i was talking about a solo Falco main but yeah Larry Lurr is a boss at falco to.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Seven, a Japanese Falco player placed 25th at EVO 2019. The next highest placing Falco player was Larry Lurr at 49th, but I don't know how much he used Falco over Wolf. EVO 2019 results: https://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-character-impressions-2-0.464762/page-268#post-23480925.

Seven and Active, an Oregon Falco player, were both unseeded for whatever reason. Amusingly enough, I think Seven fought against Cyro who some of you may remember from Smash 4 as a Falco player. FILIP and SK92 were also present as Falco players at EVO 2019. SK92 is a weird case since I don't think there are any videos of him playing Falco in Ultimate. He's mainly a Fox player who has a Link and Wolf, but for whatever reason he played Falco at EVO and beat MuteAce. In other Smash games, Melee, Brawl, and PM, he played Falco as his main.

According to Minordeth Minordeth , Active has a very different neutral than other Falco players as he incorporates active hop. Here's the entire post which should be in the gameplay thread or as its own thread, but regardless, it's something about a player's specific playstyle.
So, I suppose I should elucidate on the background of the question a little, since I’m specifically talking about character specific tech (like wobbling) rather than cast-wide tech (like wavedashing).

A few days ago, MetaofSmash - a rather great General/Falco YouTube channel - posted a video describing a set up based around a tech that significantly impacts Falco.

To break it down, the core tech isn’t new. It’s basically an instant double jump into an up-Air, followed by a drag down Nair into a regrab or utilt.

So why is this a rather significant set up for Falco?

1.) It’s a true combo off of a grab that works at low to low-mid percent.

2.) It can set up early edge guard opportunities.

Let me expand on that a bit:

Falco already has some of the highest damage output in the game due to his combo game and vortex. Now, he has a true combo on all of the cast off his grab, that literally does over 50% at a minimum, and easily much more.

It also gives one of the best edge-guarders in the game an early way to send his opponent off stage.

As it works with all platform stages, the only place where it has no impact is FD. And, a Falco could simply ban that.

As mentioned in the video, this set up is not widely used at the high and top level. Active is the only player I know of that implements this set up, and as a result, his neutral is quite a bit different than basically every other Falco.

Why? Because before, his grab game was secondary to Utilt as the main combo starter, and his most significant damage capability came once an opponent was low mid or higher in percent.

As I’ve personally seen, neutral becomes a different beast. Opponents try to play keep away and anti-grab, as much as possible, which, of course, opens up other opportunities for the bird to capitalize on.

In short:

Outside of FD, Falco can wrack up Luigi-levels of damage off of one grab while simultaneously putting the opponent in a severely disadvantaged state. In two to three neutral wins, Falco can set up for Utilt-Bair, which is also true.

Fortunately for everyone, it’s still locked behind Falco’s awkward neutral.
Otherwise, you still have some of the old guard from previous Smash games being active Falco players like Nanamemigi, Osprey, and Pikazono. Some of them don't travel a lot and are from regions that aren't under the spotlight much like I didn't know about Osprey who had a long history of fighting Sol's Little Mac since Smash 4 until a year ago.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Edit: this may need to be in a different thread...

Ah, I should have come to the Falco board to go into a bit more detail, so thank you Ffamran Ffamran

Here are a few examples of Active’s playstyle. Against our PR’d Frog:

Against our PR’d Snake:

You’ll notice how he plays changes the general feel of the matchup. He uses a lot of autocancel Dair, empty hops, SH Nair, Bair, and whatnot in neutral to cover options and space, while cornering the opponent and conditioning for grab or Utilt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom