• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best Robin secondary?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So as a long time Robin main I have tried many MANY secondaries, but none of them ever seem to really stick, as most share at least one terrible match up with Robin, or just share the same general weakness. The four main matchups I need to cover are Belmonts, Pikachu/Pichu, and the three Links. Anything else, I feel I can handle as Robin with enough practice.

One thing I have realized when secondary hunting for Robin is that it's best to find a character that is not too technical to play. Robin takes a ton of work to play, and having an equally/more demanding secondary will only distract from honing your Robin. With this in mind, I am considering the following characters

Hero: Hero seems like the most natural fit, as he already plays in a very similar way to Robin while hard countering Belmonts and Link. But overall his terrible frame data causes him to lose the Pikachu matchup harder than Robin. Still, his ability to negate zoners cannot be ignored as I would rather deal with rush down as Robin instead of walls of projectiles.

Bowser: Bowser feels like the most nerd rage character when you are sick of people bullying you as Robin. Being able to use tough guy to armor through small hits can be a big boon against small squirly characters that Robin struggles to pin down, but in the end Bowser loses hard in disadvantage and off stage, grant it, not as hard as Robin.

Chrom: Without a doubt the most fitting secondary in terms of theme, I find Chrom to beat zoners pretty well due to his excellent rush down game. Recovery is ironically better than Robin, and he is fairly easy to play. The only flaw with this pick is that he still has to work pretty hard to go even with powerful zoners, and Pikachu is still a terrible match up.

Ness: Probably one of the more technical characters here when played on a higher level. Ness does not stand out completely above the competition of secondaries outside of the fact that he has a pretty decent match up against Pikachu due to healing off of thunder jolts. This makes him a very appealing option, as Pikachu has been a recurring issue for all of my secondary picks.

Those are the four I have considered the most, but I am curious to see what other Robin players have come up with. Robin is all about being resourceful with what you have, and I imagine those kind of crafty players have found crafty secondaries!

Nah

Smash Champion
It's likely not possible to find a secondary that will cover all of Robin's bad MUs, since there's quite a few of them. I'm not really sold on the idea of using Hero as a secondary when he has some of the same problems as Robin+RNG. There's probably better choices for someone who "negates zoners" as a secondary.

Not that I really have any ideas myself

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
It's likely not possible to find a secondary that will cover all of Robin's bad MUs, since there's quite a few of them. I'm not really sold on the idea of using Hero as a secondary when he has some of the same problems as Robin+RNG. There's probably better choices for someone who "negates zoners" as a secondary.

Not that I really have any ideas myself
I agree, which is what’s making me move away from Hero.

I think it really comes down to what you want to counter. Rush down, or Zoners. I personally feel Robin has a much better time against rush down.

I think the issue with Pikachu is that it has the annoying bits of both archetypes, plus it basically negates Robin’s ledge game which is one of the character’s best areas.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I wonder how the new and improved Mewtwo would work. I know the character is on the more technical side, but teleport alone negates a ton of Robin’s weaknesses.

The same could be said for Palutena, but I personally don’t really enjoy playing her.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I've wondered this question a lot myself, and I think it'd be someone who'd be counter-heavy-projectile and counter-rushdown. Someone like lucina or palutena comes to mind, possibly wolf, chrom, olimar, sonic, ness, mario, those types of characters. I'd like to have hope for Hero but I'd like to see more data on his ability to cope with rushdown.

Top Bottom