• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best Mii Gunner Set-up for an overall MU list spread?

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I'm asking since I'm currently working on a project that is meant to bring more characters to viability and this also gives an opportunity for the Mii characters to be brought back again. Thank you for any answers and if need be I might make a strawpoll to organize this more.

I forgot to mention I will be posting this in all three Mii pages. Again thank you.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm also surprised charge shot for mii gunner beat grenade launch.
Moving this here because it makes more sense here lol.

The voted sets were based on Guest Miis, Charge Shot is arguably better than Grenade Launch on Medium sized Miis because the mobility Grenade can offer isn't nearly as potent as it is for Smaller Miis.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
1312 seems to be the best and all around set for Gunner, followed by 3312.

If grenade wasn't nerfed. It would be a better option than charge shot. Charge shot is just better on Guest size Gunner.

1312 and 3312 are both sets that also have the best results in tournaments with custom Miis being legal.

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
I agree Charge Shot seems more useful for default size Gunner, for the neutral B. It really depends on your playstyle and which move you have practiced the most. I recently learned how to B-reverse charge shot, because the input is different than Samus and other B moves, and it can only be done airborne. Figure that one out lol. However I want to talk about side B for a sec.

I think flame pillar is arguably better than missiles, because missiles are just another neutral spacing option, much like fair, charge shot, bomb drop, and grenades. And those are all usually better options than missiles in any given situation. Flame Pillar, on the other hand, is not so useful in neutral but it's godlike for edgeguarding and recovery. Throwing a flame pillar on the ledge while on stage can force the opponent to roll-on in many situations, which is easy to punish. Also, if you jump off and flame pillar backwards so it hits below the ledge, it can automatically stage spike a recovering Ryu, Mario, Cloud, Luigi, Pit, Rosa, and tons of other characters. I've seen Flama doing this recently in his videos. He also uses it to protect the ledge while recovering. Flame Pillar just has so many uses, the angle is unique and surprising, the hitbox lingers and hits below the ledge while on stage, and you can combo off it with Charge Shot or Fair.

Example vid:
https://youtu.be/JdhNWz2tzw4
Scroll to 4:40 and 7:32 and 13:40 (last one is 2 examples, a forced roll-on punish and then a stage spike). Seems like Flame Pillar is literally the most effective move used by Gunner (except for Fair) in this set, and I think it could be even better in the future. (It should be noted that Flama got 5th out of 85 attendees using 1111 Gunner at this recent tournament, which included the best of Mexico. I think you will have trouble finding such results for any other Gunner, even if it was at a regional, and I would be interested to know Flama's opinion of which moveset is best.)

And here's another little vid I made some months back, just to show how much you can abuse this move, often dealing big damage and/or forcing a roll-on. Note how the hitbox is so big, it actually extends below the ledge, and I don't know whether it reaches farther than the ledge-snap range or just consistently 2-frames the ledge grab if timed correctly, but maybe someone else can answer that:
https://youtu.be/rpBKg7cN6RU

I know this opinion is unpopular because missiles are more damaging and easy to use, especially after the patch which reduced endlag, but I have tried both moves a lot and developed my opinion over time. To summarize, everything missiles can do is more easily and effectively done with Fair or Charge Shot in my opinion, both in neutral and while comboing; and Flame Pillar is more useful once you practice the spacing/timing and use it strategically during edge play. If I didn't have flame pillar, I'd be stuck with the same ledge options as every other low tier character, and with missiles I'd simply have another predictable slow-ish mediocre projectile, like we need more of those. I rarely use missiles unless I get bored with fair or don't feel like charging up neutral B.. I just love the sound a launching missile makes but that's about it xD

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
more examples of side b 1 jank

So yeah, there's a lot of good use for it if you know how and where to use it. Sadly, it's very stage-centric, so it's better on Battlefield because the sides are skinny than Duck Hunt because it's flat-edged and is a wall. It's also easier to stage spike with it on regular FD than it is to on Dreamland for similar reasons. It's also another reason to never pick Lylat because of it's trajectory lol.

Mii Gunner to me is a character that requires a lot of imagination to use efficiently, a lot of their tools uses aren't very apparent and it requires a lot of experimenting to really use them to the fullest. Even two and a half years in I still feel there is more to this character we have to learn about, makes using them really fun IMO.

With that said, I'm sure there's more uses for all of their specials except neutral 2 and side 2 lol

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Flama Pillar is very good and I agree with you on it's uses and jank it causes. But I disagree with you on how missile is just an alternative fair that your just better off using fair in most situations. Missile is a easy 10% when it hits and there's great stuff you can follow up out of both fast and slow missile. Missile can be ised almost anywhere(insane range) and you can even follow behind it for stuff(slow missile). If Missile connects, you can do a shirt hop charge shot out of it. Sometimes it's a kill confirm at high percents(strict timing and percentage). Slow missile is just annoying to the opponent when uses afar. Use it when you know the opponent cannot rush in. Fast missile can kinda be used when the oppoennt uiss nearby, its a bit tough to punish at times. If you have the damage lead, especially stock lead. Missile becomes such a spammable and abusive move. Most opponents wanna take your 1st stock off asap and they are likely to be less defensive. Slow missile just has insane angling and can gimp and even link into your kill moves. It'll even cause a reset at times into a kill move or combo. Missile adds pressure, whether far or close. The buff it got has made it so amazing! The move is easily one of the best projectiles in the game for how versatile, fast, and unique it is.

Flama Pillar is no ways bad or average. It's a great tool to space and cause massive headaches near the ledge. Issue with it being that it can't be used to protect yourself in a pinch like how missile is capable of doing. Gunner already struggles with rushdown and Flama Pillar doesnt help with that, where's missile does and allows ore space for you at least.

Both moves are great and it makes me wish Flama Pillar was like, a custom down b or something.

There are no cons to using missile since its very spacey, spammable, gives you space, and does so much.

Only con for Flama Pillar is that it has specific uses(ledge or used when your at a certain distance), but the ledge stuff you can fo for it is totally worth it!

Top Bottom