• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Belmont's are not OP. Change my mind

Senrai

Smash Rookie
My friends are complaining about them taking no skill and to OP, but i don't think so. Change my mind.

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say that they're op, there is no way they'd ever get close to top tier, BUT that doesn't mean that they suck that much. Sure learning to play them takes no skill, what does take skill is to learn how to use their combo effectively, well that's it..

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
They don't suck, that's for sure. But I believe it's the lack of diversity the moveset offers is why people hate them. He's a one trick pony that has a very strong, simple trick; I've won 1v1 freeplays (not elite, I'm not a Belmont main) blindfolded, just by mashing B and directions.

My conclusion is, at a casual or even minor competitive level, he's gonna go around with a B-button swag bag harvesting a ton of salt. At Higher levels, he's Little Mac but with projectiles and at top level..... Well, he might make a good counterpick to someone.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Have you seen their recovery? One PK Thunder tail at 30-40% and it’s over

They play exactly like they’re supposed to play but once you get them offstage they’re barely harder to gimp than Little Mac

Last edited:

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
They don't suck, that's for sure. But I believe it's the lack of diversity the moveset offers is why people hate them. He's a one trick pony that has a very strong, simple trick; I've won 1v1 freeplays (not elite, I'm not a Belmont main) blindfolded, just by mashing B and directions.

My conclusion is, at a casual or even minor competitive level, he's gonna go around with a B-button swag bag harvesting a ton of salt. At Higher levels, he's Little Mac but with projectiles and at top level..... Well, he might make a good counterpick to someone.
Lacking diversity in their moveset isn't true at all. I honestly would say he has the most options in the game, compared to majority of the roster. He has answers for almost anything in the game, the problem is that most players don't seem to know which is applicable in a given scenario.

The Little Mac comparison honestly makes no sense to me. He has extremely safe ground and aerial options, great OOS options, and has infinitely better recovery than Little Mac, on top of having the aforementioned projectiles. Does Mac have any of this? I don't think so.

There was a Richter player that got 7th place at a major tournament. I forget which, but he was played by Whoopie (sp?)

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Lacking diversity in their moveset isn't true at all. I honestly would say he has the most options in the game, compared to majority of the roster. He has answers for almost anything in the game, the problem is that most players don't seem to know which is applicable in a given scenario.

The Little Mac comparison honestly makes no sense to me. He has extremely safe ground and aerial options, great OOS options, and has infinitely better recovery than Little Mac, on top of having the aforementioned projectiles. Does Mac have any of this? I don't think so.

There was a Richter player that got 7th place at a major tournament. I forget which, but he was played by Whoopie (sp?)
I didn’t say they were like Little Mac they’re far better and viable characters. I’m just saying their recovery is super gimpable and it’s one of their main weaknesses. When I’m playing a Belmont my main goal is to get them off stage and try to edgeguard and gimp them. It’s their biggest weakness

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
I didn’t say they were like Little Mac they’re far better and viable characters. I’m just saying their recovery is super gimpable and it’s one of their main weaknesses. When I’m playing a Belmont my main goal is to get them off stage and try to edgeguard and gimp them. It’s their biggest weakness
Whomever those characters are. I'm not saying there's no one better, but I'm not really convinced there's a variety of characters that out do Belmont because of some perceived recovery issue. Especially when most of the roster's attack options simply lose to shielding when most of Belmont's attack options aren't punishable after parrying.

Their recovery is extremely underrated. Their Tether alone allows them to avoid interaction off stage from a relatively long distance, which is something nearly the entire roster can't do. Combined with proper use of their projectiles, it's actually not gimpable for free.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Whomever those characters are. I'm not saying there's no one better, but I'm not really convinced there's a variety of characters that out do Belmont because of some perceived recovery issue. Especially when most of the roster's attack options simply lose to shielding when most of Belmont's attack options aren't punishable after parrying.

Their recovery is extremely underrated. Their Tether alone allows them to avoid interaction off stage from a relatively long distance, which is something nearly the entire roster can't do. Combined with proper use of their projectiles, it's actually not gimpable for free.
I understand that they’re good characters I’m just saying they have weaknesses and aren’t top tier. As Ness I have a relatively easy time with them I just have to time their projectiles, get in, and start rushing them down and throw them offstage and start harassing them. I think they’re good characters and I’ve been beaten by good Belmont players they just have weaknesses like every other character in the game. One of them includes their recovery that I’ve exploited multiple times

They’re not a broken overcentralizing character and they’re not close to the best in the game. Top 20 probably, best at what they do, yes, but definitely not the best and they do have weaknesses

Last edited:

Senrai

Smash Rookie

I've gotten to medium competitive level and there are counters everywhere. I don't what to do. should i swap mains. Any suggestions.
(almost elite 100 000 gsp away)

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I've gotten to medium competitive level and there are counters everywhere. I don't what to do. should i swap mains. Any suggestions.
(almost elite 100 000 gsp away)
If you like the Belmont’s and you have fun playing them keep playing them. Don’t worry about elite it means nothing

I would think about picking up a secondary though because the Belmont’s aren’t characters that are easy to solo main. Look at some of the FE characters, or maybe Cloud. Better yet a straight rush down character like Fox would be the complete opposite of your style which might be fun

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Anybody who actually thinks Belmont is overpowered probably plays this game for like, five minutes a week.
He has extremely safe ground,
Does Mac have any of this? I don't think so.
??

Mac is Safe Ground Options: The Character. It’s when he gets off the ground do things become a problem.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I wasn’t even comparing the Belmont’s to Mac directly anyway. Just making a hyperbole about the Belmont’s recovery being similar to Little Mac’s. It’s obviously not that bad but it’s easy to gimp and one of their weaknesses

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
should i swap mains
It depends on what your goals are in the long term. If you intend to go to tournaments, he's probably not a good idea to solo main. He's good at getting a feel for how someone plays though (do they approach recklessly or take their time) then switch it up if you need to.

For online, stick with him. Projectiles are much stronger in online fighting games and since you don't have to deal with the salt of the person you're playing, then there's no need to switch.

As for your friends, it could be a good idea to switch it up, have a few characters on the go (I personally believe that Ultimate will come down to counterpicks later on). Or offer them advice on how to deal with him.

Hope this helps :)

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Belmonts are just extremely punishing if you fail to get in there right. All their projectiles are tough to power through if not impossible, boomercross adds another level of difficulty if you dont remember it comes back, and whip has mad range.
But personally once i get in their face, theyre in trouble. Hell even as Little Mac i wasnt really having a problem with them...literally once i got in there once they got butchered.
Not op. Just noob-crushy, which thers a lot of that. Not bad either btw, pretty all around solid.

Senrai

Smash Rookie
It depends on what your goals are in the long term. If you intend to go to tournaments, he's probably not a good idea to solo main. He's good at getting a feel for how someone plays though (do they approach recklessly or take their time) then switch it up if you need to.

For online, stick with him. Projectiles are much stronger in online fighting games and since you don't have to deal with the salt of the person you're playing, then there's no need to switch.

As for your friends, it could be a good idea to switch it up, have a few characters on the go (I personally believe that Ultimate will come down to counterpicks later on). Or offer them advice on how to deal with him.

Thanks a lot

Wheatcakes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Salazar012
Switch FC

Kind of in the same boat. Love the character, how they handle, aesthetics and whatnot, just unsure if worth the investment in competitive play if all I'm gonna get in the long run is jeers for being a "spammer" and a not so great disadvantage state. But the character is just SO fun to play. I'm honestly torn over it lol.

GrieverSSBU

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1500 9618 1710
Have you seen their recovery? One PK Thunder tail at 30-40% and it’s over

They play exactly like they’re supposed to play but once you get them offstage they’re barely harder to gimp than Little Mac
All the way until they dair off of your PK Thunder. Next you're going to say "Nani?!?" I personally love when my enemies throw projectiles to help me back on stage. Very thoughtful of them.

GrieverSSBU

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1500 9618 1710
Kind of in the same boat. Love the character, how they handle, aesthetics and whatnot, just unsure if worth the investment in competitive play if all I'm gonna get in the long run is jeers for being a "spammer" and a not so great disadvantage state. But the character is just SO fun to play. I'm honestly torn over it lol.
Way I see it is if people are complaining about spam its obviously working on them and you should keep on letting the good times roll. Obviously use your whip a lot. But if B works then use it.

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
people are dumb. I bet you could play whole matches with literally throwing no more than 2 or 3 total projectiles and people would still complain about projectiles.
Hell, you could probably win without using any projectiles at all and people would still call the Belmonts "braindead", "degenerate", or "boring".
Play whoever you enjoy, cuz These people are hardly in the majority. whiny babies are simply the most vocal.

Last edited:

GrieverSSBU

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1500 9618 1710
people are dumb. I bet you could play whole matches with literally throwing no more than 2 or 3 total projectiles and people would still complain about projectiles.
Hell, you could probably win without using any projectiles at all and people would still call the Belmonts "braindead", "degenerate", or "boring".
Play whoever you enjoy, cuz These people are hardly in the majority. whiny babies are simply the most vocal.
It's sad just how true that is. I stomped a friend without projectiles and he still complained and said they took no skill and were carrying me. Just can't win.

Top Bottom