• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable in Smash Ultimate?!?! (In Search of New Thread Owner)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's hard to believe that Sable still has much hope if his more popular retro brethren couldn't even make the cut. I doubt they'd cut the AT if they're porting many others and Sable has seen an increase in popularity from it. It just wasn't in the demo.

D

Deleted member

I doubt sable will be playable, but if somehow sakura decides he will, i kinda like the idea that prince richard could be a echo character of sable haha. Seriously tho, holding out hope for our froggy boy to be back in some capacity.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Richard would be a fun echo fighter! What do you think they'd change asides from aesthetics if they made him an echo? I could see him maybe hitting harder than Sable.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I was thinking about the possibility of Richard being revealed as an Assist Trophy during a new blog post, hinting the possibility of Sable as a character. But, that is just a dreamy scenario more than anything else.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Thinking about assists, if Sablé was a fighter than having Richard take his spot would be good since they both do that dust cloud fight thing, just minus the transformations (mostly.)

I had an idea a while ago which was a Mandola assist where she would turn everyone into frogs, though that might be annoying. Maybe she could just give random effects to fighters like make them tiny or big or something, like the mushrooms.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Richard would be a fun echo fighter! What do you think they'd change asides from aesthetics if they made him an echo? I could see him maybe hitting harder than Sable.
Well, if Sable were to turn into a frog and a snake, Richard should only turn into a frog.

Since we’re talking Assist Trophies, the miner crew following you around and attacking anybody who got close would be fantastic.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Well, if Sable were to turn into a frog and a snake, Richard should only turn into a frog.

Since we’re talking Assist Trophies, the miner crew following you around and attacking anybody who got close would be fantastic.
Yeah true! Whatever snake specials Sablé has would probably be replaced by... something. Richard can't really freely change between frog and human forms either but there's enough wiggle room there. Maybe he could summon his frog soldiers or something.

That's a GREAT assist trophy idea though, maybe they could be accompanied by the mammoth too.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Never been a supporter of the little guy, so hate to be a naysayer here, but I doubt we're getting a new retro this time - Takamaru was the only one I felt had the legacy behind him to hit an upgrade status, and we all know how that turned out. Plus, we got the Climbers back. That might be enough for Sakurai.

The only other retro fighter I could see would be Balloon Fighter, and even then only as a tribute to the late Mr. Iwata (R.I.P., sir.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah true! Whatever snake specials Sablé has would probably be replaced by... something. Richard can't really freely change between frog and human forms either but there's enough wiggle room there. Maybe he could summon his frog soldiers or something.

That's a GREAT assist trophy idea though, maybe they could be accompanied by the mammoth too.
The mammoth would be amazing. Hell, if we’re lucky enough to get a stage, maybe it could even be a stage hazard.

And then it pulls a Ridley and upgrades to playable in the next game.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Never been a supporter of the little guy, so hate to be a naysayer here, but I doubt we're getting a new retro this time - Takamaru was the only one I felt had the legacy behind him to hit an upgrade status, and we all know how that turned out. Plus, we got the Climbers back. That might be enough for Sakurai.

The only other retro fighter I could see would be Balloon Fighter, and even then only as a tribute to the late Mr. Iwata (R.I.P., sir.)
I agree! I honestly cannot think of a retro rep that needs to be included or is an important part of Nintendo history... besides maybe Hanafuda (lol.) I'm just patiently awaiting Sablé's assist being revealed... if he is in... :urg:

The mammoth would be amazing. Hell, if we’re lucky enough to get a stage, maybe it could even be a stage hazard.

And then it pulls a Ridley and upgrades to playable in the next game.
I haven't even considered a stage... what would be a good stage?? Maybe one where you visit locations of Mille-Feuille, though that's really idealistic. Maybe the castle?

Fighting the Mammoth to make it fight for you, kinda like Ridley, would fit really well though considering what happens in game!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There are so many characters from FTFTBT that would make for great Assist Trophies. The fact that we have so many ideas for ATs just shows how good of a Gameboy game For The Frog the Bell Tolls is. If we do not get a playable character, at the least, I want remixes, Assists, trophies, anything to represent the game in Smash in the best way possible.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
There are so many characters from FTFTBT that would make for great Assist Trophies. The fact that we have so many ideas for ATs just shows how good of a Gameboy game For The Frog the Bell Tolls is. If we do not get a playable character, at the least, I want remixes, Assists, trophies, anything to represent the game in Smash in the best way possible.
Yeah! Listen to us a little Sakurai... ;) Honestly though, if we just got a song from the game in smash I think I would be satisfied. Maybe a medley of some songs or just the classic The Prince's Adventure. More things from the game as trophies with 3d models would be so sweet though. Prince Richard and Arewo Stein not being trophies is kinda weird!

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Wow great finds! And such underrated art too. :( Nice to see some Japanese support for Sablé in smash though!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
He isn't out yet baby

Sable for Smash

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
He isn't out yet baby

Sable for Smash
That's the hope! The realest dark horse of the missing assist trophies.

Hey anyway off topic but after hearing some discussion for Sable, I noticed a lot of people pronouncing it differently. It's either say-bull or sah-blay. What do you guys do? I find myself switching back and forth.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Officially it's Sablé but that's not convenient to say so I just go with Sable

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's the hope! The realest dark horse of the missing assist trophies.

Hey anyway off topic but after hearing some discussion for Sable, I noticed a lot of people pronouncing it differently. It's either say-bull or sah-blay. What do you guys do? I find myself switching back and forth.
I'm aware of "Sah-blay" (and I even say it like that once in a blue moon), but I usually go with "Say-bull".

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I support Prince Sable for Smash 100%, his game is criminally underrated and needs a remake for Switch

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I have been thinking about my analysis of Prince Sable in RTC. With Pokemon Trainer back, do you think Sakurai back in the project plan would want to experiment more on transformation via newcomers? I could see Prince Sable possibly chosen as the next retro for Sakurai to implement more of these transformation newcomers. As cool as it is to have PKMN Trainer be able to switch Pokemon quickly, I feel such quick transformation mechanics would be more suitable to actual transformation characters like Sable.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I have been thinking about my analysis of Prince Sable in RTC. With Pokemon Trainer back, do you think Sakurai back in the project plan would want to experiment more on transformation via newcomers? I could see Prince Sable possibly chosen as the next retro for Sakurai to implement more of these transformation newcomers. As cool as it is to have PKMN Trainer be able to switch Pokemon quickly, I feel such quick transformation mechanics would be more suitable to actual transformation characters like Sable.
He might, but since Sheik and Zero Suit are still separate, it might be more likely that he just wanted to get it working for PKMN Trainer for this game. At least we know that the process is a lot easier with the Switch's processing power and the mechanic is becoming more positively received. I think down the line, Sable would become an ideal retro character for Sakurai since he's always experimental and creative with those anyways.

By the way, got the chance to experience the game not too long ago and it's such a shame that it never made it overseas! Gameplay is simple but has good platform challenges and a surprisingly big world map and solid story for a Game Boy game.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
I have considered this, but I think this is more of a staying true to the character situation. Sakurai could've changed his mind, but it seems like he didn't want to do transformation characters anymore. Perhaps if Sable offered something new to how transformation works, but I can't see it working much differently than Pokemon Trainer... it DOES offer more opportunity for him, though, at least!

He might, but since Sheik and Zero Suit are still separate, it might be more likely that he just wanted to get it working for PKMN Trainer for this game. At least we know that the process is a lot easier with the Switch's processing power and the mechanic is becoming more positively received. I think down the line, Sable would become an ideal retro character for Sakurai since he's always experimental and creative with those anyways.

By the way, got the chance to experience the game not too long ago and it's such a shame that it never made it overseas! Gameplay is simple but has good platform challenges and a surprisingly big world map and solid story for a Game Boy game.
Isn't it a shame!!! I've been replaying it recently and it's so entertaining to just go through the whole thing. I think it all blends well into a fun experience that most people can enjoy. I'm glad you liked it!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Isn't it a shame!!! I've been replaying it recently and it's so entertaining to just go through the whole thing. I think it all blends well into a fun experience that most people can enjoy. I'm glad you liked it!
If it came out worldwide, I honestly think it'd be talked about as a Game Boy classic today. R&D1 was ambitious with this game when most GB titles were usually simple because of the hardware. I only wish that Richard had more prominence in Sable's direct adventure, because he pretty much disappears for portions of the game while he's a frog and Sable is running around the world. Since the game starts and ends with his encounters against Sable, I wanted to see direct partnership in the middle. It'd be so cool to have him in the party and try to insist fighting in Sable's place.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
If it came out worldwide, I honestly think it'd be talked about as a Game Boy classic today. R&D1 was ambitious with this game when most GB titles were usually simple because of the hardware.
It also has some amazing music!
Except the title music that makes me want to kill myself

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
There really was a huge contrast in music quality and I don't understand it. It goes from The Prince's Adventure and A La Mode to... whatever piece of trash Foreigner's Bazaar was composed with.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
If it came out worldwide, I honestly think it'd be talked about as a Game Boy classic today. R&D1 was ambitious with this game when most GB titles were usually simple because of the hardware. I only wish that Richard had more prominence in Sable's direct adventure, because he pretty much disappears for portions of the game while he's a frog and Sable is running around the world. Since the game starts and ends with his encounters against Sable, I wanted to see direct partnership in the middle. It'd be so cool to have him in the party and try to insist fighting in Sable's place.
Yeah!!! I think the game wanted to show off a bunch of different characters and got ambitious, so even ones like Richard, who is arguably the biggest NPC, didn't get much screentime. I do like how the game progressed in the end, but I do feel like we were left missing some interaction between Richard and Sable after it was over. I think it'd be fun if maybe Richard accompanied Sable through the Mille-Feuille Castle when they went in, as opposed to sitting at the entrance. (But teleporting and scaring him was hilarious.)

TAKE THAT BACK, FIEND!!!

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
tbh if Prince Sable gets in Smash I'll be just as excited to see the other characters from the game as trophies as I will be to actually play as him

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wanted to say this last time, but I don't think I did.

"The bell tolls" is a bad sign. The bells would toll for him if he was deconfirmed.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Playing Link’s Awakening for the first time. I feel right at home.
It's a great game! Though now I'm curious, how'd you even play this game in the first place? Most people do it through Smash or Link's Awakening, at least in English communities, from what I've seen.

I wanted to say this last time, but I don't think I did.

"The bell tolls" is a bad sign. The bells would toll for him if he was deconfirmed.
I think something like Sable Tolls the Bell would make more sense, since it implies he kills the other fighters!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I found out about it through Smash 4 speculation, before his AT disconformation. I remember watching a walkthrough of the game on YouTube, and I fell in love with the game ever since. I bought a fan-translated copy of FTFTBT a few years later to show my appreciation for the game. I consider it as one of the best games of all time. It is the only game where I felt the strongest form of Nintendo charm ever. It is why I have been dying for a revival of the series from Nintendo. (It is also why I want to see Sakurai so his own spin on the franchise, since Sakurai likes make games with extremely tight gameplay and cheesy writing. It is right up his alley.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I found it through Prince Sable's sticker in Brawl. On another note, what first name did/do you give to the prince? I wanted to call him Charles in the game since it fit with Richard's British name but you could only use 4 letters lol

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's a great game! Though now I'm curious, how'd you even play this game in the first place? Most people do it through Smash or Link's Awakening, at least in English communities, from what I've seen.
I was looking for random games to play, and I heard this was a quirky RPG in the vein of EarthBound, so since EarthBound’s my favorite game of all time I gave For the Frog a go.

I didn’t regret it.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
I found it through Prince Sable's sticker in Brawl. On another note, what first name did/do you give to the prince? I wanted to call him Charles in the game since it fit with Richard's British name but you could only use 4 letters lol
Ah yes, the Sabure Prince!

The first name I did was Link, or リンク. Because I played the game because of Link's Awakening, haha. The 4 letters thing really kills me though!

In the instructional manual, it has a default name of Sable being コマール, presumably Comal, but that doesn't fit 4 character limit...

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
Ah yes, the Sabure Prince!

In the instructional manual, it has a default name of Sable being コマール, presumably Comal, but that doesn't fit 4 character limit...
Thanks for the info! I didn't know the instruction manual gave a default name. I suppose it's the only semi-official name then

Last edited:

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the info! I didn't know the instruction manual gave a default name. I suppose it's the only semi-official name then
Yeah! It doesn't get used often, I don't see many mention it.

I figure a English localization name that would fit the character limit could be Pan? Prince Pan? Sablé just has a better ring than both Comal and Pan though, I think!

Top Bottom