• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable in Smash Ultimate?!?! (In Search of New Thread Owner)

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Why is Comal in katakana? Is the prince named after the Mexican cookware?
I've found a lot of characters names are written in Katakana from material I've consumed, !s well as foreign words, which if it's Comal, the name falls under both!

A more direction translation would be Komāru. Which also sounds similar to the Japanese name Komaru, but I don't think it would be spelled like that if his name was supposed to be based on the Japanese name Komaru.

It SEEMS like he is named after Mexican cookingware, but there's no way to know for certain. It falls in line with the food naming scheme, though it falls out of the French dessert naming scheme.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
lol I'm in an argument with someone on youtube about FTFTBT's soundtrack

edit:
I've found a lot of characters names are written in Katakana from material I've consumed, !s well as foreign words, which if it's Comal, the name falls under both!

A more direction translation would be Komāru. Which also sounds similar to the Japanese name Komaru, but I don't think it would be spelled like that if his name was supposed to be based on the Japanese name Komaru.

It SEEMS like he is named after Mexican cookingware, but there's no way to know for certain. It falls in line with the food naming scheme, though it falls out of the French dessert naming scheme.
I guess any names that are supposed to sound foreign, even if made up, would be written in katakana.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They're saying the soundtrack is awful and that the fact that FTFTBT didn't release outside of Japan means it's a failure.
If you need backup the cavalry’s right here.

Jk let’s not harass people online, some people are just born without taste.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You know, the gameplay worked back in 1992, but if it were to get a new title today, would it need any major overhauls to be successful? Optional sidequests and more stat-boosting items, more influence over how a battle plays out, more transformations, and other permanent party members whom could be have a different active transformation from you while on the map? I don't want it to lose its simplicity and become a typical RPG, but more configuration would ensure people stay interested.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I prefer that the minimalistic RPG mechanics in FTFTBT remain the same. All the game needs for a remake are updated graphics/soundtrack and a little more coverage on Richard's role in FTFTBT's story.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I prefer that the minimalistic RPG mechanics in FTFTBT remain the same. All the game needs for a remake are updated graphics/soundtrack and a little more coverage on Richard's role in FTFTBT's story.
For a remake, I agree. I was referring to a sequel after a remake came out, though.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
I feel the main focus is on platforming and exploring the world for helpful power-ups, with some health managing. I think making the battle system more complex could ruin the heart of the game.

I do think more animal transformations seem like an obvious thing for a sequel. Maybe some that could help you explore more areas and encourage backtracking? Idk what would be a good idea, maybe a lizard that could climb walls or something.

Permanent party members could be fun but also complicates the battle system, so I think if we get party members they'd be more for the story or like the insta-kill body guards for a brief time. It COULD be cool to have the game change a bit at points when you get a new party member, albeit briefly. Just to spice it up. Like maybe you get a nerdy party member and suddenly the battles are simplified rpg prompts.

But that's just some stuff I thought up, idk what would be the best direction to go! Having a sequel with a different approach could be fun, too!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I feel the main focus is on platforming and exploring the world for helpful power-ups, with some health managing. I think making the battle system more complex could ruin the heart of the game.

I do think more animal transformations seem like an obvious thing for a sequel. Maybe some that could help you explore more areas and encourage backtracking? Idk what would be a good idea, maybe a lizard that could climb walls or something.

Permanent party members could be fun but also complicates the battle system, so I think if we get party members they'd be more for the story or like the insta-kill body guards for a brief time. It COULD be cool to have the game change a bit at points when you get a new party member, albeit briefly. Just to spice it up. Like maybe you get a nerdy party member and suddenly the battles are simplified rpg prompts.

But that's just some stuff I thought up, idk what would be the best direction to go! Having a sequel with a different approach could be fun, too!
Wholeheartedly agree on having more platforming. Those are some of the best parts and challenges of the game.

When it comes to the battle system, I'm not talking about being able to select attacks or control Sable (other than being able to escape), but rather, add effects that could happen during the course of battle to give it more variety. Maybe enemies could induce a couple of different status effects whose effectiveness varies depending on the transformation. If you're facing a venomous scorpion or spider that can poison, then Sable would want to transform into a snake or a creature with a thick hide where the venom wouldn't have any effect. Perhaps the terrain you fight on can impact the tide of battle too. It's really little details like those that enhance how you have to make pre-battle calculations such as if you have enough power or if you're in the right transformation. I really like that feature and it'd be about adding to the strategy, not the mechanic of fighting itself.

I have to agree with you on the party members, though. Maybe they could enhance Sable's stats in some way rather than be full-fledged members so he can still fight while they're around. They don't have to be permanent either, but it gives me a reason to see Richard more, lol.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While I love RPGs, I think the appeal of this game in particular is how non-strategic its battles are. They’re incredibly breezy and let you get to the meat of the game, which is the platforming, transformation puzzles and story.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Wholeheartedly agree on having more platforming. Those are some of the best parts and challenges of the game.

When it comes to the battle system, I'm not talking about being able to select attacks or control Sable (other than being able to escape), but rather, add effects that could happen during the course of battle to give it more variety. Maybe enemies could induce a couple of different status effects whose effectiveness varies depending on the transformation. If you're facing a venomous scorpion or spider that can poison, then Sable would want to transform into a snake or a creature with a thick hide where the venom wouldn't have any effect. Perhaps the terrain you fight on can impact the tide of battle too. It's really little details like those that enhance how you have to make pre-battle calculations such as if you have enough power or if you're in the right transformation. I really like that feature and it'd be about adding to the strategy, not the mechanic of fighting itself.

I have to agree with you on the party members, though. Maybe they could enhance Sable's stats in some way rather than be full-fledged members so he can still fight while they're around. They don't have to be permanent either, but it gives me a reason to see Richard more, lol.
Ooohhh! Yeah, they had stuff like... running away and drinking potions, and also throwing wasabi to stun people, but it's not that deep and it just helps you, and I never even used it lol.

Having the transformations actually be helpful in battle would be cool. I mean, the frog works well enough due to the bug eating thing, but the snake is barely used except for nifty blocks. That could work well since it weaves into something the game already has, and adds some more strategic platforming and positioning. Nice idea!

Stat-boost party members could work pretty well actually! Maybe you could hire people to accompany you if you don't want to backtrack for a power-up...? I dunno, but it is a good way to have party members help you asides from being all-powerful insta-killers.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I finally beaten it for the first time.
26 years later and we're still waiting to "see you again" in a new installment, Sable... hopefully the AT at least got developers brainstorming a revival.

Speaking of which, if Sable became playable, would Richard be more likely to take his spot as an AT or be his echo fighter?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Every day, I have been always imagining the day Richard gets revealed as an AT, just so I could have some form of hope on Sable.

Same goes for Lip since I am predicting her for Smash Ultimate, with me imagining the day Windy gets revealed as an Assist Trophy.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Every day, I have been always imagining the day Richard gets revealed as an AT, just so I could have some form of hope on Sable.

Same goes for Lip since I am predicting her for Smash Ultimate, with me imagining the day Windy gets revealed as an Assist Trophy.
Lip, huh? I'd be unbelievably shocked to see that since Sable's gotten more exposure to western audiences, and even so, Takamaru felt like the obvious retro pick for Sakurai in both western presence and popularity. I'd have a hard time imagining any new retros other than maybe a Mach Rider echo for Falcon, but even that feels like a long shot.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
You can add me as another supporter. I have been replaying FTFTBT recently, it's such a charming and unique title and Sablé would do great at being a Game Boy representant.

Not sure how much I expect him, but him surviving the first wave of Assist Trophy deconfirmations is encouraging, if only because it let's us hope and speculate for a little longer.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Ok I tried embedding the image but I don't know how to so I'll just post the link

https://imgur.com/a/dbDJRFH

I made this gif of Dr. Arewo Stein (Dr. Knitt Witt in the fan translation iirc), what do you think?

edit: Also, I just found this really impressive Prince Sable artwork:
https://www.deviantart.com/aoki6311/art/For-the-Frog-the-Bell-Tolls-677085800
That's a great gif! The spritework in this game is so fun, the developers did a great job.

And that is a good fanart! Actually, the artist has a pixiv, too, with a lot more art. https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=60197

Here's a collection with the fanart you linked: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?illust_id=62624933&mode=medium

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Since we now know that newcomers can get echos, if by chance Prince Sable makes it as playable, do you think we could get Richard as a playable fighter as well?

The only thing that is concerning though is that it might be too much work for an echo, depending on how Sable's moveset is executed, if he can transform into two different fighters (Snake and Frog).

I ask this because of the recent NeoGaf leak gaining a bit of credibility, with the tease of Isaac with a certain Ratholos picture.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
I mean... it certainly could happen, especially with Richard and Sable having a pretty equal amount of popularity. But yeah, I think it depends on Sable's moveset. I feel like if Richard had any types of snake moves that'd be pretty untrue to the character, so if he was an echo it could be just removing the snake transformation/move with another move or just not having it if it is a Pokemon Trainer situation.

It would be pretty funny to have Richter and Richard be echoes announced with other fighters, considering the name similarities lol. I've seen a few people refer to Richter as Richard and I get all "!?"

The NeoGAF leak has credibility now, though? Hunnh. I still don't believe it, but it's fun seeing more people talk about Sable. And then there was that leak with Arewo Stein... which was something I never thought about, and now kind of want haha.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You know I actually think Richard is possible now, since he was present in Sakurai's Smash 2 poll at one point:

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/23/if-there-were-a-smash-2-poll/

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 6.57.26 PM.png

I did not notice this until now, but Sable and Richard are of the same ranking too. Perhaps both had 4 votes, and Sakurai just made it easy for himself to combine the votes. They are grouped differently from Goroh, Popo/Nana, Balloon Fighter and Mega Man/Sonic.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Yes yes I saw that too! But even more interestingly, I went to the Japanese website source, and it only said Richard, not Sable! I looked throughout the page and couldn't find any katakana for Sable, just Richard. You can try looking at the source yourself.

It's possible their votes were still combined, but it is pretty funny that Richard seems to be the more popular.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes yes I saw that too! But even more interestingly, I went to the Japanese website source, and it only said Richard, not Sable! I looked throughout the page and couldn't find any katakana for Sable, just Richard. You can try looking at the source yourself.

It's possible their votes were still combined, but it is pretty funny that Richard seems to be the more popular.
Well, Richard was in Link’s Awakening, but that still wouldn’t explain the difference in popularity. I guess some people just dig bad boys!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Apparently there is a music leak on 4chan, and there is a remix of Slay the Snake in Smash Ultimate:

https://clyp.it/qbwu2pfs

Anyone know the original 4chan source? The remix sounds familiar, but in a lower pitch. I'm sure I heard it before on YouTube.

Edit: It's fake. I found the remix.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Never got a chance to play this game, but I've known about it for quite some time. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, so imagine my surprise when I found out that one of my favorite songs from that game, Richard's Villa, actually came from a different game entirely. Though I've never stated my support for Prince Sable before, I've always been in favor of seeing him playable in Smash. I have this weird fascination with forgotten Nintendo characters being revived, so I'd like to be added to the support list.

I'm not very sure of his chances, but I'd definitely be thrilled to see him somehow make it in.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I posted in the Prince Sable thread way back in the Smash 4 days, but I haven't posted in it for the new game. Actually, there's been a bunch of leaks including him with the claim Sakurai is remaking his game which... strikes me as an odd thing to bandwagon. I'll be happy if his Assist Trophy returns honestly.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Apparently there is a music leak on 4chan, and there is a remix of Slay the Snake in Smash Ultimate:

https://clyp.it/qbwu2pfs

Anyone know the original 4chan source? The remix sounds familiar, but in a lower pitch. I'm sure I heard it before on YouTube.

Edit: It's fake. I found the remix.

So many Sable leaks are breaking my heart... we had that fake website leak the other day and I got so excited lmao. It's nice seeing Sable making it into mainstream leaks but it is bittersweet.
I posted in the Prince Sable thread way back in the Smash 4 days, but I haven't posted in it for the new game. Actually, there's been a bunch of leaks including him with the claim Sakurai is remaking his game which... strikes me as an odd thing to bandwagon. I'll be happy if his Assist Trophy returns honestly.
Honestly, part of the reason I want Sable in is for a retro revival! Didn't Sakurai comment once about considering reviving Takamaru and Sable's games? Sakurai already has that track record with Pit, so leaks clinging onto that is reasonable, in a way.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You know, if there are more newcomers than we expect and we continue to not see Sable's AT... anyone else think he might be Sakurai's next project like Pit was? Include an old character into Smash as a plan to make a revival game for them. It seems like he really likes the game a lot.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It depends on the direction Sakurai wants to go for with his next non-Smash game.

Sakurai originally went to make a Star Fox game when he eventually turned it into Kid Icarus Uprising.

Hope that his next game can mesh the theme and ideas extremely well enough with the For the Frog the Bell Tolls IP to stick to it and make a new game happen.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Could join in here too as a long-time fan - I do remember supporting Sable quietly back in SSB4-speculation era. And as of the moment, Sable not being shown so far is pretty interesting.

Some peeps also have found that amazing ending animatic video~ :dr^_^:

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Wonder why his game wasn't released worldwide. Seems like a good game. It'd be nice if there was music from this game featured. I did enjoy the Richard quest in Link's Awakening. I would probably do a Bowser Jr/Koopalings treatment. Four palettes for Sable and four for Richard.

Out of the Assists, he's high on my list. Sign me up.

PS: I like frogs a lot. I had a plush frog and I I have a frog piggy bank.

Last edited:

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
Prince Sable as a retro character would be awesome and a Richard echo would be cool. Add me to the supporters list.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I am positive Prince of Sable will be playable in Ultimate. There’s not a lot of evidence in his favor, but I have a gut feeling he caught Sakurai’s interest. He hasn’t shown up as a returning Assist Trophy, while we’ve already seen Takamaru and the newly added Sukapon, and I doubt there’d be any reason to show some Japan-only ATs, but leave the Prince out.

Top Bottom