• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable in Smash Ultimate?!?! (In Search of New Thread Owner)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

First Appearance: For the Frog the Bell Tolls on the Gameboy in 1992 (Japan only)

Prince Sable is the main protagonist of the game For the Frog the Bell Tolls, who is the prince of the Sabure Kingdom. As he travelled in his quest defeat the powerful King Delarin, he gains powers of transforming into a frog and a snake.

When he transforms into a frog, his jumping ability rises up to a high scale, but his strength becomes to an all-time low. When in Snake form, he damages opponents to their death and has increased speed, but his jumping ability falls off the charts into 1! And as you would expect for a human form, it's the balance between the two form. The transforming aspect can be make him interesting character to play as. If Sakurai were to pick a character from the Gameboy era, Prince Sable would be an awesome choice! Anyone who played it would remember its satirical and light-hearted moments the game had, exploring the land in a Zelda-esque fashion. In fact, there were some characters from the game that made appearances in the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Wario Land 4.

Is he good enough to have a spot in the Smash Bros. Cast? Realistically, probably not for Smash Switch, as it is more likely that retro choices like Takamaru and Balloon Fighter will be chosen. But....... I feel there is hope that there will be a revival for this series from Intelligent Systems one day. Until then, I will still heavily support the character, and you are free to do so too! Prince Sable getting an AT in Smash 4 is at least a small step forward! I hope for a nearby bright future for For the Frog the Bell Tolls from Intelligent Systems soon!

Potential Movesets:

Special Moves:

Neutral-B:
Dust!: Prince Sable swivels the ground to create dust that stuns opponent for a moment to give priority to do a quick attack. It only last as much as the time Mewtwo used Disable on an opponent.

Side-B:
Whip: Prince Sable turns into a Snake to whip out the opponents straightforward. However, this move does not damage the opponent, but rather make a good knockback far enough to escape from a situation.

Up-B:
Frog Jump: Prince Sable turns into a Frog to jump very high but in a straight vertical way (Just like Luigi’s Super Jump, only higher and a small delay occurs before using). This move does not make knockback, nor does damage anyone. It’s a risky move to use.

Down-B:
En Garde!: Much like Marth’s counter, only it’s a multihitting attack by jamming the special butting to attack more. This move can only be used when Sable is near the opponent(Not Jigglypuff correctly using Rest near, just a little far than that). Oddly enough, this does not create knockback, but it’s worth pummeling out lots of damage out of En Garde!

Smash Attacks:

Side-Smash: Prince Sable turns into Snake form to bite the opponent in great knockback. This attack also stuns the opponent for a short period of time (Referencing how Sable could turn enemies into blocks using Bite) before the knockback begins if you wanna pummel some more.

Up-Smash: Prince Sable turns into Snake form to jump and bite the opponent in the air.
It’s a straight-forward move but powerful in damage and knockback.

Down-Smash: Prince Sable Turns into Snake form to Whip around a circle of knockback. Although not as powerful as the smash attacks, it creates good all around hitbox around Sable for space.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral-Air: Prince Sable turns into Frog form to scramble attack (much like Luigi’s dash attack) with good knockback at the end. This is good to annoy the opponent, as it fastest to use.

Forward-Air: Prince Sable swings his sword in the air twice for good knockback. Much like Metaknight’s F-Air, only a little slower and better in knockback.

Back-Air: Prince Sable turns into Frog Mode to kick backwards for great knockback. Like Mario’s Back-air, only better in damage and knockback.

Up-Air: Prince Sable turns into Frog Mode to headbutt in the air for good knockback.

D-Air: Prince Sable turns into Frog Mode to kick downwards and (guarenteed) meteor smash. Although it does not do damage and it only can be used when below the opponent, when using D-air when the opponent is on the ground, it pounces the opponent to lie on the ground. This move has very-fast start-up to make up for it.

Standard Attacks:

Neutral Attack: Prince Sable attacks with his Golden Sword to combo into a finishing (Link-Melee-esque) multi-hit jab attack.

Side Attack: Prince Sable swings his sword upward to create knockback vertically. Pretty good move to use if you want be tricky.

Dash Attack: Prince Sable Stabs the opponent similar to one in the final battle. It has great straight forward knockback with great damage.

Down Attack: Prince Sable turns into Snake form to whip out the opponent with slightly good knockback and damage.

Up Attack: Prince Sable turns into Frog Form to spin attack in the (like Olimar’s up attack).

Grabs:

(Prince Sable turns into frog form to capture the opponent with the tongue)

Forward Throw: Prince Sable (In frog form) swings the opponent out in the air forward.

Back Throw: Prince Sable (In frog form) swings the opponent out in the air backwards.

Down Throw: Prince Sable (In frog form) spits out the opponent to the ground to lie the opponent down with good damage.

Up Throw: Prince Sable (In frog form) spits out the opponent in the air and turns into human form to swing his sword in the air for good knockback and damage.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Prince Sable shows the bag of money (he possibly received back in the end of the game) and drops it (Saying,”Here’s your bet!” in Japanese). The money bag serves as a blocking Sandbag that resists only a few attacks for a short while.

Down Taunt: Prince Sable turns into Snake form and hisses at the opponent.

Side Taunt: Prince Sable turns into Frog form to capture a fly (from the game) with his tongue.

Victory Theme:

Victory 1: Prince Sable turns into frog form and flip bounces around.

Victory 2: Prince Sable plays with his sword and says,”You definitely need some courage” in Japanese.

Victory 3: Prince Sable turns into Snake form and slithers in circles.

Final Smash: Prince Sable creates balls of fire (platform ranged), that if the opponent is surrounded, will be attacked by Sable with the stabs from the final battle, with a powerful stab as the finishing move.[/collapse]

For those people who are curious to try the game now, here is the link to it:

http://www.retrouprising.com/game-menu/game/11817/

More information about the game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaeru_no_Tame_ni_Kane_wa_Naru

More about Prince Sable:

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_of_Sablé

The actual website for For the Frog The Bell Tolls:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/okj/

Signature Icons:

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I like the guy, just need to play his game. I support.

D

Deleted member

I also want to join the support thread.

I actually was so interesed in him that i ended up playing and beating the entire game.

Maybe one day Prince Sable will become a big de-okay i'll stop.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My most wanted character for Smash Bros.

What I’m saying is put me up on that support list.

Morbi

Scavenger
This is the BluePikmin I know and love. Prince Sable would be sick, fam. Probably the most fun character in the game, if they ever added him. I still remember when he made it as an assist trophy and basically everyone on the forum was trying to congratulate you. And Kawashima too.

Nobody believed, and yet it happened. Maybe another "miracle" occurs and we get a playable Prince Sable.

D

Deleted member

I was waiting for you to make this topic BluePikmin, count me in!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I asked myself why Prince Sable would appear as an AT in Smash 4 for so long, and then I realized the answer was kind of obvious, it was the result of this poll here:

http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-quarterfinals/

While we’ve hosted “Smash Polls” in the past, we actually have an opportunity to do something with our answers. So, we’re starting fresh! Over the course of the next two months, we will be polling you, our loyal readers, to find out what characters you’d like to see as playable fighters in the 3DS and Wii U version of the next Smash Bros. The final result will be presented straight to the director of the upcoming games himself: Masahiro Sakurai.
Prince Sable managed to rank with 1692 votes, going as far as the quarterfinals. I do not know HOW a large number of people managed to vote for a character this obscure, but I feel this poll basically told Sakurai that Sable has a good degree of international recognition, thus his AT addition was present in Smash 4. I do not think we would be getting an AT of Sable without this one poll that was sent to Sakurai.

(P.S.: RogersBase hosting this poll was also the most mind-blowing thing I learned today)

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I've always liked obscure characters in Smash. I've never played his game before, but it's always looked like a fun time and I've been curious about it for a few years. He can transform between a few forms, so he'd probably make for a fun character too - your suggestion of each transformation giving him a different moveset sounds fun. Or they could go simpler, and have each form function the same, with the same moves (human side smash is a sword slash, snake side smash is a tail slash, etc.) but with each form having different properties, like damage, speed, and etc.

Either way, he could easily be a very fun character! I'll support him! :)

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Such an underrated character if I do say so myself, I do hope he makes it in this time around.
I feel like making him an assist trophy didn't give him or his series any justice. So this time around I believe he has this in the bag, assuming there's more than just one assist trophy that makes it in the actual roster.
Which I hope... But yeah, I support this thread. Hopefully he'll make it far this time around then he did before.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
I just played the game like... a month ago? And wow I loved it so much! He's actually on the top of my most wanted list now!

Honestly I was so happy to hear he was an assist in smash since I only first heard of his game when reading some information about Link's Awakening, I never expected him to have so much impact to be in smash! But I think he can go even bigger and go for a playable slot. Someday!

But yeah I'm definitely a supporter. ;)

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I asked myself why Prince Sable would appear as an AT in Smash 4 for so long, and then I realized the answer was kind of obvious, it was the result of this poll here:

http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-quarterfinals/

Prince Sable managed to rank with 1692 votes, going as far as the quarterfinals. I do not know HOW a large number of people managed to vote for a character this obscure, but I feel this poll basically told Sakurai that Sable has a good degree of international recognition, thus his AT addition was present in Smash 4. I do not think we would be getting an AT of Sable without this one poll that was sent to Sakurai.

(P.S.: RogersBase hosting this poll was also the most mind-blowing thing I learned today)
I remember this, when Dunsparce was considered the most wanted Pokemon newcomer. :troll:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

The fan-dedication to this game is incredible. I really need a revival of this game so bad. (Shout out to Marakai for the comparison to Mahoujin Guru Guru. When I first watched it via simulcast, I could not help but compare the anime to For the Frog the Bell Tolls.)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

The fan-dedication to this game is incredible. I really need a revival of this game so bad. (Shout out to Marakai for the comparison to Mahoujin Guru Guru. When I first watched it via simulcast, I could not help but compare the anime to For the Frog the Bell Tolls.)
Holy cow! I've been hanging around the Lip for Smash thread for such a while, I've almost forgotten that there are other crazily obscure Nintendo IPs that have sizable fanbases too! Like this one!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Kyle Bosman's stream of the game has managed to gain an art following surprisingly:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Not sure if this is a regular thing for Easy Allies Plays, but man. I am so happy about this!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Kyle Bosman's stream of the game has managed to gain an art following surprisingly:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Not sure if this is a regular thing for Easy Allies Plays, but man. I am so happy about this!
To think, this many people are into F.T.F.T.B.T.? Hey, maybe Prince Sable will be in the same boat as Takamaru sooner than we think?

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
The amount of art from that stream is really incredible! Hopefully some more people pick it up now, having more people that like this game would be really great.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am going to be brutally honest here. I am expecting Takamaru to get in as the retro newcomer for this game. If we want to see this prince in a future game, we have to show Nintendo that we love the game and want For the Frog the Bell Tolls localized/remade and show fan support when the next ballot comes. Sakurai has shown hints that he loves the GB game with how often he was in Smash trailers with Cloud and Lucas's DLC trailer in particular. Spread the word about the game so more people play it. Take the opportunity to talk and praise about the game when people ask about the game. If we show that us Westerners want Sable in the game, Sakurai will take note of it and respond with a playable character. Pit got in Brawl because was the most popular retro choice. Little Mac got in Smash 4 because he was the most popular retro choice. Takamaru will likely follow suit. Sakurai loves representing old-school Nintendo franchises, even if those franchises are Japan-only, and we need to gain a strong enough cult following for For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Sable to see the dream finally come to light.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Sakurai always gives us two retro twos though so it's entirely possible both Takamaru and Sable make it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
We only seen one retro and one historical retro surprise per Smash game to be exact. One that represents a classic Nintendo franchise from the 80s/90s and one that represents an essential part of Nintendo's history. I have a strong gut feeling that there will be only one retro spot again, and that it will go to Takamaru. I am not counting on it, as much as I would love to see it happen. :(

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah I'm totally expecting Takamaru and not Sable. I mean, honestly Sable even being an assist trophy is impressive. I'd love him playable but there is just not enough American approval. :sadeyes:

Perhaps the fandom could get there someday but as it stands we would really need a big presence to bring attention to it, like another let's player playing it. Or them randomly deciding to translate it.

Actually, if they do remake Link's Awakening like some rumors have gone on (not the most reliable but..), that could be a good opportunity to draw attention towards it? And, in my dreams, potential for a remake using the same engine. (Which would be ironic and awesome.)

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
http://images.nintendolife.com/news...aks_are_fun_to_read/attachment/2/original.jpg

I'm sure you've seen this, which is obviously easily faked. But anyway, I have another thing:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/...d-experienced-devs-with-unity-unreal-engine-k

Apparently the people who did Majora's Mask 3d are making another game which could possibly be a zelda remake. It could be any game and I don't think anything points to it being Link's Awakening besides it maybe being handheld. Still, it could happen!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
We only seen one retro and one historical retro surprise per Smash game to be exact. One that represents a classic Nintendo franchise from the 80s/90s and one that represents an essential part of Nintendo's history. I have a strong gut feeling that there will be only one retro spot again, and that it will go to Takamaru. I am not counting on it, as much as I would love to see it happen. :(
Well actually it's more the other retro is from something to do with hardware but since there's like only the satellaview mascot left for hardware I don't think the second retro character will follow the same pattern. It could actually be anyone including Sable though it's a very slim chance either way.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
http://images.nintendolife.com/news...aks_are_fun_to_read/attachment/2/original.jpg

I'm sure you've seen this, which is obviously easily faked. But anyway, I have another thing:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/...d-experienced-devs-with-unity-unreal-engine-k

Apparently the people who did Majora's Mask 3d are making another game which could possibly be a zelda remake. It could be any game and I don't think anything points to it being Link's Awakening besides it maybe being handheld. Still, it could happen!
With that, I would not be surprised a Link's Awakening remake happened, with a revival of FTFTBT coming right after. But I will wait till an actual announcement of Grezzo making a new Zelda happens before getting optimistic.

Last edited:

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we have to wait til E3 and see if the Grezzo project pops up there. It really could be anything. Best to keep our expectations low! The leak floating around about a LA 3D remake being made could garner attention for Nintendo to consider it in the future, if not now...

Hopefully Sablé could make some kind of cameo if it does happen!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With the way I’m seeing so much activity in this thread, and how many nominations Sable’s getting in the Rate Their Chances thread, I think he’s closing in on Takamaru quickly popularity wise.

Given how Sakurai made them both Assist Trophies in the same game, giving them Western visibility, and how he wouldn’t have been able to predict popularity, maybe we could be seeing both or even Sable by himself come Smash 5. The only thing Takamaru has over Sable is the localization of his game, really.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well, Takamaru's revival has been a very gradual process. The Japanese never forgot him and he's been considered for playability before. Most people know him now because he almost made it to Smash 4. Once that became common knowledge along with the reason for exclusion was dealt with he's become highly popular due to bandwagoning. I think with how much love he still has in Japan coupled with his new worldwide status ensures Takamaru will be in the next Smash. Comparatively, Sable is still obscure as well as facing the exact issue that kept Takamaru from entering in Smash 4 so I wouldn't say they are on equal footing but I'd love to see Sable catch up and be acknowledged in the same way.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I decided to give the game a whirl over the past few days!

It's definitely fun - there are a lot of unique ideas! I think there are a few things that could've been done better, but for the most part it's been fun! Prince Sable was a lot different than I expected - I thought he would be a friendly, cheerful kid, but then I played and he's more... prince-like than I expected? Kind of condescending and blunt at times. He's pretty funny! I joined the support list a while back because I had seen his game and thought it looked fun, and I liked Sable design-wise, but now that I've played it, I can see the appeal even better! I want him even more than I did before.

He did get into Smash 4 as an Assist Trophy because of his popularity, so I think he's got a decent shot!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Part 2 of Kyle Bosman's stream of FTFTBT came recently. The amount of fan-art for the game at the start of the stream is STAGGERING. If you played through the entire game, you will enjoy the fan-art section of this video.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I never knew For the Frog had such a strong fanbase! I guess we’re more than we thought. We just need to join forces.

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
The fanart is so entertaining! I love all the jokes and references since I made a few of the same jokes myself. Everyone is so talented too. That's a really fun feature in his streams to broadcast the fanart!

Anyone else think the opening music isn't that bad though? I think I've just listened to it so many times that I just like it now. :laugh:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It never really bothered me personally. I think Kyle is just a bit overreactive on repetitive music. Some of the repetitive tracks in this game fit the tone and atmosphere well enough, which includes the intro and towns. FTFTBT's tracks are so captivating that I get invested even when sometimes I can notice some repetition.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
This character and game have just always piqued my interest ever since the Smash 4 speculation days, and I could never understand why. Maybe it's how Sable and Richard's designs were really appealing to look at, or maybe it's the potential for Sable's transformations to be unique now that the Brawl mechanic is gone, or maybe it's the way the fanbase grew so rapidly thanks to Sable's appearance in Smash 4 (the fanart in this thread is just so good).

Either way, I have to give my support. Bring Sable to Smash and FTFTBT to the Switch! I don't want to emulate it. I want to offer my cash and support these retro revival efforts!

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Has Sable's assist showed up in any footage? I don't expect him, but I AM worried he got removed as an assist trophy. Probably not, but I'm a bit paranoid! :(

Top Bottom