• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Beginner's Guide to Playing Super Smash Bros. Competitively -V2- (Plain text version available!)

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Last September, I began writing a guide for the incoming new players that want to play competitively. After Nintendo announced that Smash 4 would be playable at Best Buy, it felt like it was time for an update. Finally, along with contributions from the @Amazing Ampharos and @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht , the guide is now in its second version! Undivided, it's over 40 pages long, so it has been broken up into chapters.

Chapter 1 - Introduction
Chapter 2 - The Basics
Chapter 3 - Making the Most of Your Moveset
Chapter 4 - Combos, Hitstun, and Flinching
Chapter 5 - Advanced Technique + Game Data
Chapter 6 - Characters, Match-ups, Tiers, and the Metagame
Chapter 7 - Tournaments
Chapter 8 - Conclusion

A plain text version of the guide that follows a few GameFAQs conventions is available for download (link here).

At a few points in the guide I have marked statements and paragraphs with [credit needed] where I couldn't find the source of an idea. The tags been there since last October so they will probably continue going unresolved. Also, one quick disclaimer: There is a chance the real name associated with your Google account might be displayed in the corner of the screen if you are logged into a Google service (Youtube, Gmail, etc.). If you do not wish for your real name to potentially be seen, log out of any Google service you are using and then read the guide.

There is still a lot left to fill in, such as more examples and more visual demonstrations of what's being talked about. Also, this is still a guide for the community. Contributions are always welcome.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Thank you. This time around I'm at an age where possibly going to tournaments/getting more experience is feasible and I really want to jump straight into this game and not play it in the half-casual, half knowledgeable way that I play Melee and Brawl. that said for anyone in a similar situation watch some high end streams that are on the side panel on the home page/forums page here, I like CTZero in particular because he's awesome and the times I've watched he really talks quite a bit about spacing, stage control, adapting by reading, etc. fits perfectly the first couple chapters I read of this and it's so simple to understand

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Nice, it's up. 8D

Because I'm into anal, it kind of bugs me that there remain a few formatting imperfections (e.g. paragraphs bisected across two pages, a couple of instances where you need to space or backspace). I can tell you where these are, @ Dr. James Rustles Dr. James Rustles , and you can fix them yourself.

Also, to everyone else, I'm just one pair of eyes, so if there remain any errors in the text (e.g. typos, grammar, spelling), then apologies beforehand.

I'm a rather casual-noobish Smasher, so I can attest to the quality and detail of this guide's contents. I have learned much in reading it, so I would certainly recommend it to anyone seeking to learn more about Smash and/or improve their game. :shades:

Enjoy the read, folks!

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
This is excellent work. The community needs simple guides like these to help more people get into competitive Smash, specially with a new game on the horizon.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
It'd be nice if my "outdated" browser from my brand new tech could read this thing...
I swear it hates me.
If you are still unable to see the document, I am working on a plain text version which, unfortunately, cannot be posted to GameFaqs on a few grounds according to their rules (it covers multiple games, and unreleased ones at that). GameFaqs still says they allow exceptions, so I will see what the staff have to say. Meanwhile, I will upload a plain text version in the OP (~90kb, nothing major) after I have finished formatting it.

I will warn you thought, that because it is plain text, it won't be as pleasant to look at compared to the Google Drive presentation.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Good work, Quilt. This is amazing.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
An excellent guide, Quilt!

I'm gonna need to bookmark this for future reference in the inevitable case people are asking questions about these topics.

gms3000

Smash Rookie
it was an amazing guide, well detailed and very useful, i understood most of it, although there was some terms in there i dont really know. considering that im new to this, i have no idea what you mean by tilt, and forward smash and stuff like that.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
it was an amazing guide, well detailed and very useful, i understood most of it, although there was some terms in there i dont really know. considering that im new to this, i have no idea what you mean by tilt, and forward smash and stuff like that.
The guide assumes that the reader has played Smash enough to know at least the very basics. That is, that the reader is aware of the basics move types (tilt, smash, special, recovery, grab, jump, shield, dodge), how to input them, and the basic goal of the game (i.e. rack up % damage and knock players out of bounds and/or prevent recovery, etc.).

As you probably know, moves in Smash games are the combination of Buttons (e.g. :GCA:, :GCB:, :GCLT:, :GCZ:) and the directional input of the Control Stick (:GCN:).

A tilt is when you simply hold the Stick in a direction and use the Attack Button (e.g. :GCR:, then :GCA:).
A smash attack is when you jam both the Attack Button and the desired direction simultaneously (e.g. :GCR:+:GCA:, or the :GCCR: stick on the GC Controller).

The difference between these two attack types is how strongly you input the move (whether you tilt the Stick or smash it, hence the names). You can picture the difference as moving the Stick (tilt) or tapping the Stick (smash). This is also how you decide whether to walk or run (you move to walk, and you tap to dash).

How new are you to Smash? In order to get the most out of this guide, you should know how to input all of the different moves for your given Smash game and controller (e.g. forward tilt, down smash, shield roll, jump, dashing, recovery, side special, up throw, etc.).

Whatever the case, hope this helps. If you require further insight, by all means ask.

Last edited:

gms3000

Smash Rookie
ive played smash since melee but was never serious about it, i started playing project m about 1 month ago. i know how to use smash attacks but i never knew there was specific names for them. but i noticed you mentioned shield roll, side special, and up throw. im not sure what those are but im assuming that up throw is when you grab someone and throw them up. but then again, i thought tilt was when your character is on the edge and looks like he might fall.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Very nice. I'll give this a read, I've been a part of the Smash community for a little bit now, and would love to get into the competitive scene. Of course, I've already been playing that way for over 4 years now. :laugh:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
ive played smash since melee but was never serious about it, i started playing project m about 1 month ago. i know how to use smash attacks but i never knew there was specific names for them. but i noticed you mentioned shield roll, side special, and up throw. im not sure what those are but im assuming that up throw is when you grab someone and throw them up. but then again, i thought tilt was when your character is on the edge and looks like he might fall.
Ah, well then.

There are five different directions you can input on your Control Stick -- Up, Down, Left, Right, and Neutral (where you don't move the Stick in any direction).

You use a direction in combination with a button to make a move. So if you hold up on the Stick and press "A" (:GCU:, then :GCA:), you are performing an up tilt. A side special would be :GCR:+:GCB:. When reading the guide, the directions stated (up, down, etc.) correspond to the direction in which you direct the Control Stick, and the attack types correspond to the buttons you press alongside (tilt, smash, special, etc.).

So you are correct that up throw is when you grab your opponent using the Grab Button (e.g. :GCZ:), then tap up (:GCU:) on the Control Stick. A down throw would be the opposite (i.e. :GCZ:+:GCD:).

A shield roll is when you have your Shield (:GCLT: or :GCRT:) and you tap your Control Stick left or right (e.g. :GCLT:+:GCR: or :GCLT:+:GCL:).

There are 30 possible basic commands that you can input (29 actual moves, and the taunts). If you know how to execute these moves, but don't know the precise terms, here's a list of all basic commands in a Smash game:

[collapse=MOVE COMMAND LIST]
Jab = :GCA:

Jab Combo = :GCA:, :GCA:, :GCA:

Side Tilt = :GCR: then :GCA: or :GCL: then :GCA:

Down Tilt = :GCD: then :GCA:

Up Tilt = :GCU: then :GCA:

Side Smash = :GCR:+:GCA: or :GCL:+:GCA: or :GCCL: or :GCCR:

Down Smash = :GCD:+:GCA: or :GCCD:

Up Smash = :GCU:+:GCA: or :GCCU:

Neutral Special = :GCB:

Side Special = :GCR:+:GCB: or :GCL:+:GCB:

Down Special = :GCD:+:GCB:

Up Special = :GCU:+:GCB:

Jump = :GCX: or :GCY: (for the sake of example below, I will use :GCX:)

Neutral Air = :GCX: then :GCA:

Forward Air = :GCX: then :GCN:+:GCA: in the direction your character is facing (:GCL:or :GCR:)

Back Air = :GCX: then :GCN:+:GCA: in the opposite direction your character is facing (:GCL:or :GCR:)

Down Air = :GCX: then :GCD:+:GCA:

Up Air = :GCX: then :GCU:+:GCA:

Air Dodge = :GCX:then :GCLT: or :GCRT:

Grab and Tethers = :GCZ:

Pummel = :GCZ: then :GCA: (or :GCA:, :GCA:, :GCA: etc.)

Forward Throw = :GCZ:+:GCN: in the direction your character is facing (:GCR: or :GCL:)

Back Throw = :GCZ:+:GCN: in the opposite direction your character is facing (:GCR: or :GCL:)

Down Throw = :GCZ:+:GCD:

Up Throw = :GCZ:+:GCU:

Shield = :GCLT: or :GCRT:

Shield Grab = :GCLT:+:GCA: or :GCRT:+:GCA:

Shield Roll = :GCLT:+:GCR: or :GCLT:+:GCL: or :GCRT:+:GCR: or :GCRT: +:GCL:

Spot Dodge = :GCLT:+:GCD: or :GCRT:+ :GCD:

Taunt = :GCDpad:

NOTE A: For Aerials (i.e. air attacks), you can also use :GCCN: instead of :GCA: (so :GCX:then :GCCR:, :GCY: then:GCCU:, and so on).

NOTE B: Obviously, these icons represent buttons on the Gamecube Controller. For all Smash games and their controllers (N64, Gamecube, Wiimote, etc.), there is a Control Stick (or Pad), then buttons for Attack, Special, Grab, Shield, and Jump.

NOTE C: Super Smash Bros. 64 doesn't have Side Specials.
[/collapse]

All of the basic and/or advanced techniques and concepts discussed in the guide build upon these basic commands. Feel free to reference the above Command List when reading the guide and/or ask further questions in this thread, should you require assistance. 8D

Last edited:

gms3000

Smash Rookie
Ah, well then.

There are five different directions you can input on your Control Stick -- Up, Down, Left, Right, and Neutral (where you don't move the Stick in any direction).

You use a direction in combination with a button to make a move. So if you hold up on the Stick and press "A" (:GCU:, then :GCA:), you are performing an up tilt. A side special would be :GCR:+:GCB:. When reading the guide, the directions stated (up, down, etc.) correspond to the direction in which you direct the Control Stick, and the attack types correspond to the buttons you press alongside (tilt, smash, special, etc.).

So you are correct that up throw is when you grab your opponent using the Grab Button (e.g. :GCZ:), then tap up (:GCU:) on the Control Stick. A down throw would be the opposite (i.e. :GCZ:+:GCD:).

A shield roll is when you have your Shield (:GCLT: or :GCRT:) and you tap your Control Stick left or right (e.g. :GCLT:+:GCR: or :GCLT:+:GCL:).

There are 30 possible basic commands that you can input (29 actual moves, and the taunts). If you know how to execute these moves, but don't know the precise terms, here's a list of all basic commands in a Smash game:

[collapse=MOVE COMMAND LIST]
Jab = :GCA:

Jab Combo = :GCA:, :GCA:, :GCA:

Side Tilt = :GCR: then :GCA: or :GCL: then :GCA:

Down Tilt = :GCD: then :GCA:

Up Tilt = :GCU: then :GCA:

Side Smash = :GCR:+:GCA: or :GCL:+:GCA: or :GCCL: or :GCCR:

Down Smash = :GCD:+:GCA: or :GCCD:

Up Smash = :GCU:+:GCA: or :GCCU:

Neutral Special = :GCB:

Side Special = :GCR:+:GCB: or :GCL:+:GCB:

Down Special = :GCD:+:GCB:

Up Special = :GCU:+:GCB:

Jump = :GCX: or :GCY: (for the sake of example below, I will use :GCX:)

Neutral Air = :GCX: then :GCA:

Forward Air = :GCX: then :GCN:+:GCA: in the direction your character is facing (:GCL:or :GCR:)

Back Air = :GCX: then :GCN:+:GCA: in the opposite direction your character is facing (:GCL:or :GCR:)

Down Air = :GCX: then :GCD:+:GCA:

Up Air = :GCX: then :GCU:+:GCA:

Air Dodge = :GCX:then :GCLT: or :GCRT:

Grab and Tethers = :GCZ:

Pummel = :GCZ: then :GCA: (or :GCA:, :GCA:, :GCA: etc.)

Forward Throw = :GCZ:+:GCN: in the direction your character is facing (:GCR: or :GCL:)

Back Throw = :GCZ:+:GCN: in the opposite direction your character is facing (:GCR: or :GCL:)

Down Throw = :GCZ:+:GCD:

Up Throw = :GCZ:+:GCD:

Shield = :GCLT: or :GCRT:

Shield Grab = :GCLT:+:GCZ: or :GCRT:+:GCZ:

Shield Roll = :GCLT:+:GCR: or :GCLT:+:GCL: or :GCRT:+:GCR: or :GCRT: +:GCL:

Spot Dodge = :GCLT:+:GCD: or :GCRT:+ :GCD:

Taunt = :GCDpad:

NOTE A: For Aerials (i.e. air attacks), you can also use :GCCN: instead of :GCA: (so :GCX:then :GCCR:, :GCY: then:GCCU:, and so on).

NOTE B: Obviously, these icons represent buttons on the Gamecube Controller. For all Smash games and their controllers (N64, Gamecube, Wiimote, etc.), there is a Control Stick (or Pad), then buttons for Attack, Special, Grab, Shield, and Jump.

NOTE C: Super Smash Bros. 64 doesn't have Side Specials.
[/collapse]

All of the basic and/or advanced techniques and concepts discussed in the guide build upon these basic commands. Feel free to reference the above Command List when reading the guide and/or ask further questions in this thread, should you require assistance. 8D
You sir, are a genius. I have never had so much knowledge dropped on me at once... I can't thank you enough for this, now I can read other threads and not get confused! I really want to thank Quilt, Amazing Ampharos, and yourself for making this guide for people like me who are just starting out. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This guide. Is all of my yes.
Thank you for your patronage. We will split your Yes equally among the authors and contributors.

Also, as a reminder to everyone, we accept PayPal donations in addition to Yes. Send any one of us a PM for further details.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Oh wow, thank you very much! This will definitely come in handy as I practice for the upcoming tournaments!

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Thanks so much for this thread! Bookmarked already, surely this will help me into the scene!?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I've always been at the point where I'm a level ahead of my friends, but below the competitive level. When we have SS days, I lay the smack-down but I've never been technical enough to really do well. With the new Smash, i think its time for me to try and reach a competitive level, so this guide is super appreciated! Awesome work!

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Thanks, I've gotten some pretty useful tips on how to get better with this guide.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
In several months I'll be updating the guide to bring it to a 3.0 Game Release version with Smash 4 specific advanced techniques and mechanics and chronicle a couple of character meta developments and how rulesets are being used in the game (these things will get their own sections), and also add a few things that for some reason have slipped my mind to add (like RAR and B Reversals). There will be more visual demonstrations, too.

If any of you would like to contribute, let me know via PM. I'm currently looking to add more demonstrative media for when Smash 4 comes out. These will preferably be in .gif form.

Note to myself to add Sehnsucht's expanded input list to the guide with more techs.

Top Bottom