• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hello everybody,
Would you have any advice for me against Megaman please ?
I would like to improve my playing style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV990fapd6I
You use side B too much in neutral. You hit it twice the whole game, a probably went for it like 20 times or so. You got punished and missed a few good punishes because of it. You also seemed to roll too much as well. Focus more on your powershielding game. you challenged him well off stage. Focus on using moves like jab, dash attack, and dtilt more in neutral. That was when he was beating you.

NightMoves

Smash Rookie

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
So this player Nunu has been fairly dominant in our scene lately. He's third on our current PR and he's even broken our so-called "curse" (where only one of two players have ever gotten first at our locals for the past year). And in the first two sets I played against him, I dominantly took the matches using only Ganondorf, taking his Fox and Diddy with relative ease. But at an event last week, he went Sheik against me and finally took a set off me.

This is one of my better matches on stream and one I'm definitely looking for feedback on. I'd like some advice on the Sheik MU and my play in general.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
So this player Nunu has been fairly dominant in our scene lately. He's third on our current PR and he's even broken our so-called "curse" (where only one of two players have ever gotten first at our locals for the past year). And in the first two sets I played against him, I dominantly took the matches using only Ganondorf, taking his Fox and Diddy with relative ease. But at an event last week, he went Sheik against me and finally took a set off me.

This is one of my better matches on stream and one I'm definitely looking for feedback on. I'd like some advice on the Sheik MU and my play in general.

Your Ganon is pretty solid. Overall, you played well; there weren't any glaring flaws that I could see.

In terms of the Sheik MU, be careful where you're airdodging. I noticed you airdodged to the ground a lot, and used it to try escaping combos quite often. Granted, your opponent didn't seem to read your airdodges many times, so it could've been you just playing properly against your opponent's playstyle.

Also, Ganon has decent tools to edgeguard Sheik. When Sheik is offstage, go for an instant ledge snap (the input used to trump an opponent). You can catch her Down-B with a ledgedrop U-air, and 2-frame her Up-B with a ledgedrop to DJ N-air (at least, those are my preferred options, though others work as well).

When you get grabbed, DI up and away, especially near the ledge. If you DI in, Sheik can get a U-air at kill %s from F-throw and Down-B from B-throw.

Lastly, if you do get a Flame Choke, remeber that you can get a Jab only if Shiek tries getup attack. It will whiff upon Sheik choosing roll towards or away, but if Sheik rolls in you can still get a guaranteed D-tilt or F-tilt (i.e. Jab, then F-tilt or D-tilt right after).

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
In terms of the Sheik MU, be careful where you're airdodging. I noticed you airdodged to the ground a lot, and used it to try escaping combos quite often. Granted, your opponent didn't seem to read your airdodges many times, so it could've been you just playing properly against your opponent's playstyle.
Yeah, it cost me my last stock when he pulled an up smash read. Thanks for the advice and the compliment, though, I'll keep them in mind.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva

Found a video floating around with clips involving Kalm, Myself and Alter from our 3FAs not too long ago. Had no idea this was made.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Here's one of my sets from the tourney. MM against a pretty good Cloud:

|

Also, is anyone looking for critiques/comments on their stuff? I usually try to not drown out other people's stuff, but I'm not too sure what to say about the past few vids.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Here's one of my sets from the tourney. MM against a pretty good Cloud:

|

Also, is anyone looking for critiques/comments on their stuff? I usually try to not drown out other people's stuff, but I'm not too sure what to say about the past few vids.
You played very good. The Cloud was pretty good as well.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I **** post at the highest level while also discussing the metagame I'm great I know

TM 023

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2015-1144-0090
Hello there. I'd like to share with you guys some tournament matches where I lost to one of the best players in my region. I've never won a set against his Pit, so I felt like something is wrong with me. Perhaps my neutral game is bad. I'd like to have a feedback about my ganon, so any critiques/comments are welcome. :4ganondorf:
Also, I'd appreciate some advices on the Pit MU

Here I tried to use Duck Hunt. He's like a pocket/secondary.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
The biggest issue seems to be your disadvantage state. Foremost, when recovering, don't always not grab the ledge (especially against Pit/Dark Pit). A lot of the time you left yourself vulnerable by doing so (such as 2:12 in the second video). One thing to note about the MU: Pit and Dark Pit can't hit on the ledge without going offstage (moves such as D-tilt or D-smash actually miss). Also, be wary of using your DJ in the wrong place. You should conserve it for escaping landing traps and getting an extra boost in recovery distance primarily.

In neutral, don't try to jump at Pit. 9 times out of 10 his aerials will beat yours simply due to how fast they come out. Focus on DA primarily instead, and catch their landings.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hello there. I'd like to share with you guys some tournament matches where I lost to one of the best players in my region. I've never won a set against his Pit, so I felt like something is wrong with me. Perhaps my neutral game is bad. I'd like to have a feedback about my ganon, so any critiques/comments are welcome. :4ganondorf:
Also, I'd appreciate some advices on the Pit MU

Here I tried to use Duck Hunt. He's like a pocket/secondary.
Stop using dair into the ground.

Focus on saving your double jump

Use empty hops more. You keep landing with aerials, getting yourself punished and losing stage control

You seem to throw out moves (ftilt, dtilt, nair, roll, spot dodge mostly) in the neutral preemptively, without much thought given, or just to fill space. Each move you throw out should be spaced more precisely and with more caution. If you don't need to throw out a move, then don't! Ganon isn't the type of character you can just throw out pokes with.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
You guys really taught me a lot. Thanks for the videos posted here and on your personal channels.

I'll only share this funny short clip.
This is my personal record. Lowest % legit kill I got since ever.

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Let it be known, that Mr. R is now Mr. Fraud.
Excellent. The witch should know better that black magic is useless against the dark lord.

On a side note, those aerial strings look quite bothersome. Is there any optimal DI that allows us to survive longer?

SyStemkraSh

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm System, and I (and my opponent 2Years) are looking for some advice on how we can improve. We're both new and it turns out that we had to battle on stream. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

TO advice would be nice also, since this was my first time trying to be one.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Hi, I'm System, and I (and my opponent 2Years) are looking for some advice on how we can improve. We're both new and it turns out that we had to battle on stream. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

TO advice would be nice also, since this was my first time trying to be one.
The biggest thing right off the bat that I notice is both of you really like SH N-air. It's not a bad option, but if you seldom use any other option it becomes very punishable. I'd also suggest both of you work on empty movement more (and to that point, working to read and punish empty movement). A lot of the time one of you would be able to dash at the other with impunity, something that could easily be punished with a pivot F-tilt or F-smash. Lastly, the biggest hindrance to your play is using F-tilt in neutral, which is really not something you want to do at all. Seriously, that stunts your play a ton (I know from experience), so work on that. Instead of F-tilt, you can use turnaround Jab or D-tilt, both of which are easy to execute in the heat of a moment.

SyStemkraSh

Smash Rookie
The biggest thing right off the bat that I notice is both of you really like SH N-air. It's not a bad option, but if you seldom use any other option it becomes very punishable. I'd also suggest both of you work on empty movement more (and to that point, working to read and punish empty movement). A lot of the time one of you would be able to dash at the other with impunity, something that could easily be punished with a pivot F-tilt or F-smash. Lastly, the biggest hindrance to your play is using F-tilt in neutral, which is really not something you want to do at all. Seriously, that stunts your play a ton (I know from experience), so work on that. Instead of F-tilt, you can use turnaround Jab or D-tilt, both of which are easy to execute in the heat of a moment.
Ah, thanks for the good advice! We really should try to find another option over SH Nair--we use it too much, and there's really punishable end lag after it too. I tried to mix it up with some aerial side-b's, but I need another option. Also, I really do have a hard time dealing with getting crossed up. Thank you for pointing that out and giving suggestions.

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
Cool, one of my tournament matches is on youtube now! I lost this one but I got 7th place which is still cool.

Some good ol' feedback would be real nice though.

pawclaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pawclaw
Started a Smash Ladder/Anther's Ladder series with Ganondorf. Watch me fight players and give my take on strategies and matchups. Now with face cam!

-A Ganondorf from New Jersey

Rubel Gonzales

Smash Rookie
NNID
Demon_Thief
User name: Rubel Gonzales
In game name: DemonThief
NNID:Demon_Thief
Palette color: Old Manondorf

Top Bottom