• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if characters from modern games are free game then the final taboos seem to be Western owned characters and non-video game characters.

Let's see what other rules will be flushed down the toilet by the time we're finished.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I know in what sense you commented that, but I should point fo others that there's no strictly "rule" against western made 3rd Party characters (which would be a pretty funny and specific one).. it just didn't happen yet. No precedent, but I think they got pretty much the same chance of a protagonist of a game released only in Japan. The only "requirement" in those cases I can see, its needing to be emblematic as Reggie stated, and I think the fighter should be somewhat known by both sides..

Crash surely fits both of these bills, and I'd say he even got advantage of some others for being one of the rare excepections of a western character/franchise so well loved in Japan.

if anything, I think Ultimate is going through the ideology to please the western fans a lot more, with K. Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus and Ken. Simon is also a case of a character being more popular here than he is in Japan (Alucard and Richter are certainly more Japanese oriented).. other 3rd Party characters could follow suit.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Again, Joker's popularity started like, 2016-2017(?) and at that time he was focused exclusively on a Sony platform. And for Japan, only a recent late 2018 appearance was on a Nintendo console. Sound familiar? Crash's also got an upcoming Switch release to promote assuming they're porting Persona 5 alongside the DLC.

Crash came back in 2017 and thankfully to success and popularity, at least in the West. And even then his Japanese N Sane release seems to be doing pretty good. Maybe his popularity in Japan has made a comeback too!

Crash's biggest obstacle would be that he's a Western-owned character, requiring more than a bit of translation between partners (depending on how much Activision wants to monitor their take on Crash). But considering he seems to be at least getting back his popularity in Japan, and may have still been a recognisable icon there to begin with, he'd make a fine fit to break the mould amongst some other Western IP considerations.

Oh also, it seems like maybe Activision themselves are handling the Japan version this time, instead of Sega with N.Sane:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
some people point at the N. Sane Trilogy sales in Japan saying that it didn't had so much impact, which means Crash popularity there faded away, but it's unfair for number of reasons: The game was exclusive for the PS4 for a whole year, and traditional home console gaming is basically dead in Japan.. portable and mobile games sells way better (that's way Sony's own Vita got more success there than anywhere else); Also the Switch version was released there too a little too late for people to care, but still, got folks interested to play Crash in a handheld again.

I think now that Nitro-Fueled is not even a timed-exclusive and will be on everything from start, the Switch version will share a big chunk of the success with the PS4 (that counting western sales, of course).

Btw, the Japanese version of CTR doesn't have a release date yet, so we we're not sure if is Activision releasing the game in Japan or another publisher like SEGA. N. Sane Trilogy also was announced back in March for Japanese on the same Nintendo Direct it was revealed for us, but only got a date and a publisher way later than the western release.

----- btw, here's something I worked on yesterday! This gonna be part of that big video I've been teasing:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
With my most wanted character now in Smash (Joker), I'm jumping in here to show my support for the orange marsupial!

Crash has been a major part of my childhood, with 2 and 3 being some of the greatest platformers I've ever played (including the N.Sane versions), and CTR still being my favorite kart racer of all time to this day, and I'm more than excited for the remake!

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to think of Crash's chances based on Ultimate's development cycle, but after a character like Joker, and considering what Reggie/Nintendo said about how DLC will end up from this point on, I think Crash's chances have significantly improve; the only point I could think of that might be against him is that he might be too obvious and iconic of a pick, that and him being Western I guess, but I don't think that really matters.

Man, imagine doing an 8 player team battle; Mario, Link, Samus, and Shulk vs. Crash, Cloud, Snake, and Joker, that would be absolutely surreal and magical.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
My dream is to take a pic in smash ultimate of a battle with Snake, Cloud, Joker, Crash and Spyro and make fun of the fact that smash would be more playstation all stars than playstation all stars

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Thanks everyone that liked my drawing! I'd appreciate a like and/or a retweet if you feel like doing ^^' ~

The Switch port of CTR is in a weird situation...
oh, don't worry; Some guy at ResetERA said that where he works (a big retailer) they were communicated that Activision isn't sure if the Switch version will come out physical. But if you go to the Crash Bandicoot site, it's still up to pre-order normally.

It's probably related to cart size, most likely. I just hope Nintendo starts selling their bigger cartridges by 2019 to make 3rd Party lives easier.

D

Deleted member

Thanks everyone that liked my drawing! I'd appreciate a like and/or a retweet if you feel like doing ^^' ~

oh, don't worry; Some guy at ResetERA said that where he works (a big retailer) they were communicated that Activision isn't sure if the Switch version will come out physical. But if you go to the Crash Bandicoot site, it's still up to pre-order normally.

It's probably related to cart size, most likely. I just hope Nintendo starts selling their bigger cartridges by 2019 to make 3rd Party lives easier.
Ok then.

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
Crash seems even more within reach what with Joker being confirmed. You have my
full-fledged support for his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious as to what the Oxide Deluxe Edition will be. Probably just some cosmetic stuff that's an extra $10-15 and maybe a few days early access.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm really hoping they give some more characters playable in this remake.. Brio, Tawna.. heck, even Koala Kong and Rilla Roo I wouldn't mind;

I'd like to have Crunch and Nina too, but they seem unlikely (because "purism" I suppose); but since they're bringing Nitro Kart cars, I think it wouldn't hurt.. they're cool characters :<

D

Deleted member

I'm really hoping they give some more characters playable in this remake.. Brio, Tawna.. heck, even Koala Kong and Rilla Roo I wouldn't mind;

I'd like to have Crunch and Nina too, but they seem unlikely (because "purism" I suppose); but since they're bringing Nitro Kart cars, I think it wouldn't hurt.. they're cool characters :<
Same.

Maybe we could expect some of the characters created by Vicarious Visions for the GBA titles and Nitro Kart. Probably N.Trance.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I think Mii should be playable in Nintendo Switch version. Without the Racing helmets found in the Mario Kart series.

Wouldn't mind a Switch Exclusive DLC cup with 5 Mario Kart series ractracks in it. And possibly some Banjo and Conker themed racetracks from Diddy Kong Racing on the Xbox One instead. While the PS4 version would get more PS4 exclusive DLC.

Source please?
Also pretty sure N. Sane also had the thing of "two games need to be downloaded first" and that still got on Switch.
uh, no N Sane Trilogy has all three games at launch on every console

I'd like to see Tawna as playable so that people stop confusing Tawna with Coco...
Also, I'd like to see Spyro, Nitros Oxide, and some of the Nitro Kart Characters Playable Including N-Tranced.
Definitely a Nitro Kart Story Mode as DLC.

I'd be totally okay with Toys For Bob
But if they're going to keep doing DLC after the 5 characters? I don't think they should or will... Sakurai needs to rest, for God's sake... dude is basically working since the development of Smash4 started with a little and insignifcant break between it and Ultimate.

I think if we get DLC after that will be maybe stages and Mii Costumes, something that Bandai NAMCO can handle by themselves without Sakurai around.

--------------

btw, I just updated the timeline of Crash releases on Nintendo systems! And needless to say that I'm pretty excited for CTR!

Mii Outfits! Yes, just give Crash Bandicoot a "Crash Mascot" Mii Outfit and a new Mii Brawler moveset that has Spin Attack, slide attack, face slam, and spinning summersault slam as the special moves. Coco Overalls and flower would also be available.
Neo Cortex and call of duty Mii Gunner Outfit.
Spyro the Dragon Swordfighter outfit.

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I'd be totally okay with Toys For Bob
But if they're going to keep doing DLC after the 5 characters? I don't think they should or will... Sakurai needs to rest, for God's sake... dude is basically working since the development of Smash4 started with a little and insignifcant break between it and Ultimate.

I think if we get DLC after that will be maybe stages and Mii Costumes, something that Bandai NAMCO can handle by themselves without Sakurai around.

--------------

btw, I just updated the timeline of Crash releases on Nintendo systems! And needless to say that I'm pretty excited for CTR!

Mii Outfits! Yes, just give Crash Bandicoot a "Crash Mascot" Mii Outfit and a new Mii Brawler moveset that has Spin Attack, slide attack, face slam, and spinning summersault slam as the special moves. Coco Overalls and flower would also be available.
Neo Cortex and call of duty Mii Gunner Outfit.
Spyro the Dragon Swordfighter outfit.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
On additional Nitro-Fueled content: I can see maybe N. Trance; as JDCabrera said, the connection with Vicarious Visions is already there, after all.. maybe even Emperor Velo, since we know that the car of his team is in the game. But guests and exclusive tracks for each version? I don't think that the 'purism' I mentioned would allow that (nor being well recieved by fans :p).

It's already a pipedream getting much more beyond the original game; I think they'll try to stay more faithful as possible.

--also, as your own signature mentions: please, avoid double posting \=P

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'll be very disapointed if CTR nitro fueled doesn't have WAY more characters than the original and some new tracks also.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
CTR Nitro Fueled is gonna have Spyro as a guest character calling it now.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
CTR Nitro Fueled is gonna have Spyro as a guest character calling it now.
well, it wouldn't be the first time... especially considering they're putting stuff from Nitro Kart :p

---------------

Hey people! Just a heads up! Seems that the little problem that was happening with pre orders of the Switch version of CTR it's now solved. They had it changed with "coming soon" instead of the release date, but now is back to normal.

I saw a lot of press sites reporting the issue when it happened first, but no one mentions the solution (AS ALWAYS); I'll try to contact at least Go Nintendo for them make an updated article about this.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I figure they could add a handful of new additions, like Koala Kong and Komodo Moe. Post-CTR characters would be neat, but wouldn't make sense unless it was for promoting upcoming games/remasters.
I suppose the speculation of post ND characters comes from the fact they're using Nitro Kart cars in the game; I don't think one thing relates to the other directly, but wouldn't hurt having a more expanded cast (c'mon.. Nina was created for Nitro Kart!). but if anything, some tracks from Nitro Kart would be welcomed as well.

---btw guys, I thought that would be fun to share here some japanese links about discussions and wishes on Crash in Smash.

I found one NicoNico video where the guy describes (apparently) how Crash moveset would look like, among other characters; and other link below is the annoucement of N. Sane Trilogy on Switch by SEGA, have people in the comments saying that Crash would be great for Smash.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33344988

http://nintendo-newsoku.com/archives/10976683.html

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I figure they could add a handful of new additions, like Koala Kong and Komodo Moe. Post-CTR characters would be neat, but wouldn't make sense unless it was for promoting upcoming games/remasters.

This person gets it.
Everywhere people wish for the 5 remaining characters from the Trilogy, that being Tawna, Baby T, Komodo Moe, Koala Kong, and N.Brio. And Spyro of course. That would make the roster complete for me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Everywhere people wish for the 5 remaining characters from the Trilogy, that being Tawna, Baby T, Komodo Moe, Koala Kong, and N.Brio. And Spyro of course. That would make the roster complete for me.
Personally, I low-key wish one of those trophy girls (Ami, the green-haired one, specifically, due to that mention in the epilogue), but Tawna would be good too, if only for the inherent hilarity of her being in the same game as her lookalike Isabella.

Out of your picks N. Brio in particular needs to be in here, no question about it. It's only fair since the rest of the original 4 scientists are playable.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Crash DLC.png

I'm so happy Joker from Persona 5 got announced.
Never played any Persona games, and I have no attatchement of the character nor the series (obviously), but ...
It seems like 3rd Parties are yet again going to dominate the DLC picks (hopefully), because, one of my biggest dreams for Smash has been seeing Mario, Sonic and Crash duke it out.

I've known Crash since PS1, but never really played the series until I got my very first PS2 of my own.
That's when I got Twinsanity, but I've played Crash Wrath of Cortex and others. After Twinsanity I bought the kart games, and the other titles, right before the Mutant era of Crash, where I sort of just abandoned the series. However, Crash is an icon, and part of my childhood.

With Joker announced, and the new Crash Tag Team Racing revival coming to the Switch, perhaps it's time.

I'm fired up on 3 characters espicially in the 3rd Party departement. Crash, Banjo and Scorpion.
Let's hope.

Also. I do want more first party, I really do, but, hopefully more for a second season.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Hey guys! Check it out! The november sales number charts for Switch are out and, not surprisingly, N. Sane Trilogy continue to be among the best selling software! And that's just on US (and we know that Crash keeps the momentum in Europe, btw). Considering that the Japanese version only released in October, we'll probably see Crash within the Top 10 or 20 best selling Switch games for a long, long time!

Top 10 Switch software sellers [November 2018]:

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! [Nintendo]
Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! [Nintendo]
Super Mario Party [Nintendo]
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [Nintendo]
Super Mario Odyssey [Nintendo]
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Nintendo]
Just Dance 2019 [Ubisoft]
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy [Activision]
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle [Ubisoft]
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze [Nintendo]

also, worth mentioning that Crash is one of the few selected 3rd Party games in this list. And that was released in June!

source: https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/...ch-over-1-3-million-sold-and-was-the-platform

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say Crash being a western property is irrelevant.

The main thing holding this back is the budget. If Smash DLC has been given a bigger budget than all of Playstation All Stars then that will be our best chance. More likely than it sounds, given how much Sony shafted the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well if characters from modern games are free game then the final taboos seem to be Western owned characters and non-video game characters.

Let's see what other rules will be flushed down the toilet by the time we're finished.
To me, the final taboos are Japanese-owned characters from dead/inactive series and Western-owned characters from both active AND dead/inactive series.

Also, whoever's in the public domain that would make actual sense to use, if licensed characters are used at all. Sakurai probably won't budge on manga characters no matter what happens, and I'm fine with that.

I'd say Crash being a western property is irrelevant.

The main thing holding this back is the budget. If Smash DLC has been given a bigger budget than all of Playstation All Stars then that will be our best chance. More likely than it sounds, given how much Sony shafted the game.
Not to mention that Ultimate's already astronomical sales should help bolster up DLC budget for a bit, besides other areas of profit.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
There's absolutely no reason to worry about when comes to budget compared to PSASBR. Sony didn't inject enough money in the project and Superbot simply couldn't afford a big character like Crash (actually, they couldn't get many big stars from PlayStation story; the biggest 3rd Party guest they had was Heihachi.. and the others were all the next best thing they could pay, like DmC Dante over the actual Dante or Raiden over Snake); And only in Smash4 we already got Cloud as DLC that shows how much money Nintendo is willing to pay for getting the license of characters (and that was on the Wii U era, where they had underperformed sales for their games all around); of course Ultimate is no different already starting out with Joker with its DLC.

I've seen many people state that Activision asked a lot of money for Crash being in PSASBR, but if you ask me, I think they asked for the rightful price for such valuable IP.

In the case of Smash, Crash is in the reach of Nintendo's wallet and probably he won't end being the most expensive character there (I think Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and even Pac-Man are above in this situation).

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Right. Regarding the sales of Crash on Switch, it's highly likely he's at least considered to be DLC. I'm sure most of the old Crash fans still play on PS4 but stylewise, Crash fits in more on the Switch and therefore appeals to newer, younger people and generations.

There's also the point that Activision seems to keep pushing Crash (and Spyro) in the future. I mean, both got their own, pretty actively used accounts on Instagram with lots of fans commenting etc. He'd totally make more sense now than being in PS All Stars with most of the cast being pretty odd, to be polite.

And honestly, I heavily doubt there'll be a 2nd PS All Stars in the near future.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah I wonder if anything was officially said about Crash in PS All stars other than that one Superbot comment made. Also it'd be kinda neat to see what they think if he ends up in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's absolutely no reason to worry about when comes to budget compared to PSASBR. Sony didn't inject enough money in the project and Superbot simply couldn't afford a big character like Crash (actually, they couldn't get many big stars from PlayStation story; the biggest 3rd Party guest they had was Heihachi.. and the others were all the next best thing they could pay, like DmC Dante over the actual Dante or Raiden over Snake); And only in Smash4 we already got Cloud as DLC that shows how much money Nintendo is willing to pay for getting the license of characters (and that was on the Wii U era, where they had underperformed sales for their games all around); of course Ultimate is no different already starting out with Joker with its DLC.

I've seen many people state that Activision asked a lot of money for Crash being in PSASBR, but if you ask me, I think they asked for the rightful price for such valuable IP.

In the case of Smash, Crash is in the reach of Nintendo's wallet and probably he won't end being the most expensive character there (I think Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and even Pac-Man are above in this situation).
Right. Regarding the sales of Crash on Switch, it's highly likely he's at least considered to be DLC. I'm sure most of the old Crash fans still play on PS4 but stylewise, Crash fits in more on the Switch and therefore appeals to newer, younger people and generations.

There's also the point that Activision seems to keep pushing Crash (and Spyro) in the future. I mean, both got their own, pretty actively used accounts on Instagram with lots of fans commenting etc. He'd totally make more sense now than being in PS All Stars with most of the cast being pretty odd, to be polite.

And honestly, I heavily doubt there'll be a 2nd PS All Stars in the near future.
I mean, compared to the fairly tightly-knit collaborations and dev cycles of Smash games, PSASBR was rather unlucky all-around. And I doubt the competitive scene for it is still around, after everything that's happened. Since the guests in the game were being chosen purely to promote upcoming games, it really did live up to the textbook stereotype of "irrelevant characters not mattering".

It's amazing that Sir Dan even managed to come back from that, too.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random thought for CTR: Nitro Fueled

What if every version had an exclusive character?

Example:
Switch: Mario or Diddy Kong (given DK Racing was the inspiration)
Playstation: Parappa the Rapper or Sackboy
XBox: Banjo Kazooie or Conker

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman

Example:
I mean, I'd rather have a new DKR, but that'd be cool too. Sadly, I'm gonna get the PS4 version anyways.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Example:

I don't think they'd do that.. I'm actually down to have Mario or Diddy in the Switch version (I'll be getting that one anyway); but I'm already iffy in the idea of they putting new characters from the Crash series, sadly; imagine guest stars? the purits would flip! xD

I mean, compared to the fairly tightly-knit collaborations and dev cycles of Smash games, PSASBR was rather unlucky all-around. And I doubt the competitive scene for it is still around, after everything that's happened. Since the guests in the game were being chosen purely to promote upcoming games, it really did live up to the textbook stereotype of "irrelevant characters not mattering".

It's amazing that Sir Dan even managed to come back from that, too.
yeah, no doubt; they didn't actually tried to make the roster a's commemorative as possible of PlayStation history.. was just a big marketing tool. Still, when comes to actual Sony owned properties, I think they had cool characters that we didn't see in a while, like Spike from Ape Escape, Sir Daniel (as mentioned) from MediEvil and PaRappa the Rapper... all of them were mostly completely absent during the PS3 era, aside some SpinOFFs and re-releases.

and in the end, Sony didn't try to make PSASBR a worth competitor to Smash; if it was the case, they would inject that budget needed. I don't believe we'll get a sequel, ever.

---anyway.. did you guys see the lastest Arlo video? I usually don't actually agree with him in many aspects (still love the guy, though!) but not only he predicts that Crash will be in Smash, but he also says that Crash is the only character he actually wants in the game; That's pretty cool!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
LonelyGoomba shared his thoughts on the matter; what do you all think?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
LonelyGoomba shared his thoughts on the matter; what do you all think?
Well, certainly Crash's case nowadays is way better than Castlevania or Mega Man when they were included in a Smash roster.. and as these IPs proved, they don't need even to come from an active franchise, as long the legacy and story is there; and Crash definitively got legacy AND it's an franchise in activity today. So no big argument against him anyway;

Characters are added in Smash everytime, especially being a 3rd Party guest, due of their story in video game industry; It's not because they're promotional or anything (as we were discussing on PSASBR); when it happens to coincide with a game being released along, it's just a convinience.

D

Deleted member

I found this on Twitter and i like it.

59DCB267-AB04-49D4-844F-554A970061CB.jpeg

248325C7-E441-479D-9202-9816C0B39518.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom