• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
heh, funny you post something I made here before I do :p .. but I'm glad you liked! .. I just.. got wrong the stock icon; I ended forgetting removing the eyes; but here's a fixed version:
Crash Stock 2.0.png

.. and did you guys see TheJwittz video on the characters he wants? Of course, I don't agree with everything, but Crash is among them, and it's always nice to see influential people joining us!

"The same way Sonic was so hype inclusion back in 2008 as former rival of Mario, I think would be great to have Crash bashes his way into Smash.
For a few years, Crash Bandicoot was the only real competitor of Super Mario 64, when comes to breaking new ground in the world of 3D platforming."

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So as far as his FS goes, I doubt it'll be a Transformation with Aku Aku, since they changed Final Smashes to be worse-- I mean, "straight to the point".

Initially I had a hard time coming up with a Final Smash for Crash, until I had a crazy idea: what if it was a chase sequence, with a bunch of boulders, giant bears, a triceratops, a dragon, and even a walrus who is also a chef (I forget his name)? Crash does some attack, then he runs over the opponent in a jeep, then the combined forces of every Crash chase sequence stampede over the enemy, kind of like Yoshi's FS.

Then I remembered Mecha-Bandicoot was a thing and was like "Oh, right, nvm, that's real Final Smash material."

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So as far as his FS goes, I doubt it'll be a Transformation with Aku Aku, since they changed Final Smashes to be worse-- I mean, "straight to the point".

Initially I had a hard time coming up with a Final Smash for Crash, until I had a crazy idea: what if it was a chase sequence, with a bunch of boulders, giant bears, a triceratops, a dragon, and even a walrus who is also a chef (I forget his name)? Crash does some attack, then he runs over the opponent in a jeep, then the combined forces of every Crash chase sequence stampede over the enemy, kind of like Yoshi's FS.

Then I remembered Mecha-Bandicoot was a thing and was like "Oh, right, nvm, that's real Final Smash material."
I also had difficulties of imagining a Final Smash for Crash... as you said, back when transformation FSs were a thing, that could be a bit more easier, with Aku Aku on Crash's face and making him not only invincible for a short while, but also resulting in instant knockback on opponents on contact.

But I like the boulder chase idea! it's a very iconic part of Crash games, and I think it could be randomized, like.. you have a chance to be a boulder, a giant polar bear and everything you mentioned (but not all the same time).

The Mecha Bandicoot is also fine, but I don't know if they'd go that far with references of post ND games (as they are the current marketed games with the remakes), besides maybe music and spirits. I'd love to have it though! TwinSanity is my favorite Crash game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
User was warned for this post; flaming
Oh boy, this guy gives me so much facepalm it makes my nose bleed a little. Read this:

Concerning Crash, to launch projectiles and make tornado attacks, there is already Mario.
Also, Crash was created from the Sonic concept (Wikipedia link)
- Because the player would be forced to constantly look at the character's rear, the hypothetical game was jokingly called "Sonic's *** Game".
- Naughty Dog Wanted to do what Sega and Warner Bros. Sonic the Hedgehog and the Tasmanian Devil, and the fact that they were "cute, real, and not one".

So, do you think that copying other icons to impose a new icon is encouraged in Smash Bros ?
This is such a stupid argument. To him, I say this:
03270250-E784-4B84-A40F-EFE0977D57E9.gif

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I bet every character out there who people want has had someone saying nonsense about said character. Arguing with those people is simply not worth anyone's time

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I don't think that being inspired by other games can be an argument against any character. The veterans of the industry of each genre (Mario, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Ryu, Cloud) are already the fount of inspiration of many characters in the roster that were added later, just like Sonic is for Mario, or recent RPG games like Xenoblade or Persona existing thanks to the sucess of Final Fantasy VII (or earlier titles) and so on.. Heck, people were cheering for Shovel Knight before, and he's the definition of an amalgamation of NES games... Silly comment, if you ask me.

--btw, you guys saw the NoA's holidays recomendation tweet? of course, there's a bunch of 3rd Party Switch games present, but look at that June 2018 release among the ones they feel it's notorious to mention:

I'm just happy to see N. Sane Trilogy as part of their active marketing! This a very, very good sign! and I bet Nitro-Fueled will follow suit in 2019.

.. and guys, don't let the thread die off! Keep the momentum going! 'v'

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
guys, I may be not be here on the arrival of the new year (I'll be busy with family), so I wish the best for all you! I hope you guys keep the thread going even with the festivities (I'll be back on Jan 2 or even maybe if I isn't not that tired late on the 1st) and I wish the best for all you Smash and Crash fans!

Let's hope Nitro-Fueled is as amazing its looking from trailers (and I hope the online is good), and we see Crash in Smash Ultimate in 2019! :ness:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm starting to get paranoid at this point. Reggie said that the DLC additions are characters that we would never expect, but now that he said it people are expecting Crash, which means he's now expected and does not fit at Reggie's statement. However, if we start believing that he's not likely because people are now expecting him, then he's actually likely because the fact people are expecting him would mean he's not to be expected which means he's likely. My head hurts.

Also, I dreamed about Crash being in Smash once more last night.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm starting to get paranoid at this point. Reggie said that the DLC additions are characters that we would never expect, but now that he said it people are expecting Crash, which means he's now expected and does not fit at Reggie's statement. However, if we start believing that he's not likely because people are now expecting him, then he's actually likely because the fact people are expecting him would mean he's not to be expected which means he's likely. My head hurts.

Also, I dreamed about Crash being in Smash once more last night.
Settle down, no one actually knows what Sakurai is thinking, we don't influence reality.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
OK, new year, new predictions! .. I don't think Crash will be announced so soon, as in the next DLC character to be revealed.. we'll probably get some more info on Joker in the following months and he'll be out by March or something, and before that we'll get yet another character announcement. But I think he's a great reveal for June (E3), especially with CTR coming out later in the same month.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Crash would be an ideal E3 reveal. Him and Banjo would be strong choices there. Western Third Parties IMO have a better shot at being shown off at E3. I can be wrong though.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I don't think that being inspired by other games can be an argument against any character. The veterans of the industry of each genre (Mario, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Ryu, Cloud) are already the fount of inspiration of many characters in the roster that were added later, just like Sonic is for Mario, or recent RPG games like Xenoblade or Persona existing thanks to the sucess of Final Fantasy VII (or earlier titles) and so on.. Heck, people were cheering for Shovel Knight before, and he's the definition of an amalgamation of NES games... Silly comment, if you ask me.

--btw, you guys saw the NoA's holidays recomendation tweet? of course, there's a bunch of 3rd Party Switch games present, but look at that June 2018 release among the ones they feel it's notorious to mention:

I'm just happy to see N. Sane Trilogy as part of their active marketing! This a very, very good sign! and I bet Nitro-Fueled will follow suit in 2019.

.. and guys, don't let the thread die off! Keep the momentum going! 'v'
Imagine telling yourself back in the early 2000s that Crash Bandicoot, Sonic and Mario should all be together on a Nintendo platform. Heck, they're all gonna have their big racers on this platform, it's insane!
Twinsanity homage. Something the world could use more of, if not the long-requested remake with cut content included.

D

Deleted member

Have you heard the news about the Toys For Bob artist who had to make a finish line for a race that looked like something from Spyro?

Some of the Crash and Spyro fans who i follow on Twitter are debating the idea of it being related to Spyro in CTR Nitro Fueled.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Imagine telling yourself back in the early 2000s that Crash Bandicoot, Sonic and Mario should all be together on a Nintendo platform. Heck, they're all gonna have their big racers on this platform, it's insane!
I see why people point that as a novelty, because the Switch is so successful that is a mainstream system (while Nintendo doesn't have this privilege since the Wii, or arguable since the SNES), but Mario, Sonic and Crash on the same platform is a thing since the GameCube days, even though all three were in their lowest point (Sunshine, Heroes and Wrath of Cortex; I still like them though). But now the picture is a bit different and I'm excited to see the potential reactions if Crash is added in Smash!

Kindered spirit! Now that my dream of a CTR remake has come true, THAT'S my next wish.

Granted, VV will most likely have to go through Wrath of Cortex first, but I wouldn't mind it.
I don't know if they're going to do another remake after Nitro-Fueled.. (and I don't think they should). But honestly I wouldn't mind both WoC and TwinSanity revisited, .. these games deserve a second chance, even if just through a re-release or simple HD remaster like Rayman 3 had. TwinSanity in particular is something that really would benefit of a more polished treatment, but the foundations of the concept is overall great!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I see why people point that as a novelty, because the Switch is so successful that is a mainstream system (while Nintendo doesn't have this privilege since the Wii, or arguable since the SNES), but Mario, Sonic and Crash on the same platform is a thing since the GameCube days, even though all three were in their lowest point (Sunshine, Heroes and Wrath of Cortex; I still like them though). But now the picture is a bit different and I'm excited to see the potential reactions if Crash is added in Smash!

I don't know if they're going to do another remake after Nitro-Fueled.. (and I don't think they should). But honestly I wouldn't mind both WoC and TwinSanity revisited, .. these games deserve a second chance, even if just through a re-release or simple HD remaster like Rayman 3 had. TwinSanity in particular is something that really would benefit of a more polished treatment, but the foundations of the concept is overall great!
Well, there's not much else they can do other than make a new original entry from the ground up, and that's a bigger risk. Besides, didn't they get a contract extension or something? And for what it's worth WOC didn't load forever on the GC version.

All three big guys being in the same game is definitely a must though.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I think the ctr remaster does help crash's chances slightly if they are still looking to promote things with the dlc

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
but Mario, Sonic and Crash on the same platform is a thing since the GameCube days, even though all three were in their lowest point
Probably should've clarified: Early 2000s/late 90s. When they were still against each other before the Gamecube business.

By the way, Opossum Opossum , how come I hadn't been added to the supporter list yet? XD

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
so... other day on Discord I saw some arguing against Crash on the matter of similar moves from other fighters already in the game. Like a Spinning Attack as Incineroar's neutral B, or a Up Special like Sonic.. I think people tend to forget that other characters that were added also shared moves with existing fighters in the roster; Mentioning Sonic again, we got Mega Man with Rush, that pretty much functions like Sonic's spring.. and back then we got people saying that Little Mac didn't had a chance because of Villager's jab, and now we got Mac, Villager and Bowser Jr. all with similar attacks mapped in the same command. That's really no problem for the development team.

Of course, they'll always prefer to spice things up and try to make them differently enough from other fighters (and I suppose they prefer to pick characters that presents something unique), but you can only do so much with source material, and turns out that characters that came from the same genre (platforming) will have similar traits, habilities and gadgets.

I also always thought that Crash's spinning move would be way quicker than what Incineroar does, and you would be able to mash the button for a short while for a Death Tornado Spin; ... maybe in the air you would to slow your descend and all.

D

Deleted member

I am here to share great news for both the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot franchises.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
There was absolutely no way that Reignited Trilogy wouldn't be successful. Spyro originally was a big hit, but this is the first time the series got a big spotlight alone and a big budget injected. Isomaniac was more about trying the best what they could with a moddest concept and resources.. Spyro 1 in particular was pretty experimental. But as I already expressed here, ... oh boy, I sure hope we're done with the remakes after Nitro-Fueled; both Crash and Spyro needs to go forward. I'm thankful for what we have today, but I really want that TwinSanity (or Tag Team) follow up :p..

----Also, have you guys imagined how Crash's Classic Mode would look? I actually thought that they could replicate the whole Crash 1 boss lineup + a different boss instead of Master and Crazy Hand. And using the music selection I used as example, I come with this:

Papu Papu - :ultkrool: brown alt. (Kongo Jungle) - music: Hog Wild (Homerun Bats usually spawns)
Ripper Roo - :ultlucario: (Kongo Falls) - music: Turtle Woods (Explosives in general usually spawns)
Koala Kong - :ultdk: (Gerudo Valley, omega) - music: Jungle Rumble (Pow Blocks usually spawns)
Pinstripe Potoroo - :ultfox: red alt. (Fourside, omega) - music: Dingodile Theme (Guns in general usually spawns)
Dr. N. Brio - :ultbowser: green alt. (Reset Bomb Forest, omega) - music: Hang Eight
Dr. N. Cortex - :ultdoc: (Halberd, omega) - music: Dr. Cortex Theme
Evil Twins - Galleom - music: Evil Twins Theme

what do you guys think? 'v'

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You could put in Fake Crash by having an orange alt Incineroar that constantly spins and belly flops!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well, if they go through the idea of referencing Fake Crash and Crash himself got at least a green shorts alt., they can just make a mirror match :p. But I think the Crash 1 boss lineup fits so perfectly that would be a shame to not to go for that route.

---btw, the sales numbers for eShop of first week of January (North America) are in too! And guess what? N. Sane Trilogy is still on Top 25 best selling games! even with bigger titlles like Smash Ultimate itself and Pokémon Let's Go, Crash doesn't go anywhere.

I think at this point I don't need to bring that anymore, but N. Sane Trilogy numbers on Switch are quite good and don't seem to slowdown anytime soon.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Nah Crash should have a spin that works like his one in the games, down to the slowed aviation when pressed repeatedly. They managed to do that in the fan game Super Smash Bros Crusade.

If Rayman's truly out because he's a spirit, the only big Western platformer guy Crash has competition with is Banjo, who in turn has a lil competition with Steve of Minecraft. I'm worried it's going to be one or the other for variety's sake, unless
datamined "brave" means DQ character thus we have two JRPG characters, so maybe we could also have two Western platformer characters.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I hope crash is not like his crusade counterpart tbh, he's pretty bad competitively

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
It's been a while since I ever tried Crusade.. I don't think last time I played they had Crash in there. But I helped a little bit the team with sprites (Ryu and Bomberman were done mostly by me) and I once conceptualized some stages (that I think weren't included in the end). I never tried Crusade Crash, but I think I'd end playing him even if he were the lowest of the tiers. :p

asking for a character and then recieving is the best part of the whole hype train. But of course, I'd rather have a good character to play as too! if I can't get both, I'll take a bad Crash over no Crash at all! XD

(and guuuuys! keep the thread alive!)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Crusade Crash got some things right; bellyflop as down ariel and slide as dash attack fit well, and they even made his spin continuously, albeit infinitely, work and slow aviation like his death tornado spin. The crate throw was also a nice choice, though I don't know if it's just me and not adjusting to the controls, but maybe the wumpa bazooka is a bit too complex to use on the fly? (press down b, aim, press down b again to resume normal controls). And the final smash is broken as I don't think it has a double jump, leading to easy accidental self destructs.

A cool idea I saw for Crash's moveset (mighta been this thread lol) was incorporating his spinning into other moves like spinning around parts of his body like his legs to attack. I don't know if it's how they want to represent the character, but I can totally see some of his other moves involving his spinning in some creative and differing way. Maybe his pummel could be a slight spin against his opponent while still somehow holding onto them (like he still somehow spins despite holding onto monkey bars WITH BOTH ARMS in the games).

In terms of Western choices for Smash DLC, I won't deny Steve or Doomguy could be more iconic choices for them to potentially utilise. Though Crash does seems to be regaining his Japan popularity with those N Sane eShop sales, at a time around the DLC selection finalisation. He could totally be a surprising addition that'd be welcomed with nostalgia from the Japanese crowd; wasn't this the 30 year anniversary drawing for their Famitsu?

ClTGCkCUgAA-FVv.jpg

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lowkey Crash is one of the most likely choices right now in my eyes. I have a good feeling about him right now. I would say he is by far the most likely Western third party, mainly on the grounds that Japan actually really wants him.

Watch pack 2 and 3 be Erdrick and Crash as one is more eastern and one is western. Would be a fun trailer if they did a cgi trailer for them. DQ honestly is silly enough that Crash would not be too out of place tbh.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I doubt they'd make a double trailer like that (I suppose, in the same terms Ken and Incineroar were first shown), let alone reveal two characters at the same time. :p I'll be pretty patient until sometime close to E3 and the release of Nitro-Fueled... I think it's the best timeframe to reveal Crash.

I wouldn't go as far to say he's the only big western characters with good chances, but I can say he'd be the most crowd pleaser, fitting and definetly a big buzz maker in the industry.. imagine the good publicity that wouldn't occur when he's announced? It's as big of a deal of when Sonic was included in Brawl!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Lowkey Crash is one of the most likely choices right now in my eyes. I have a good feeling about him right now. I would say he is by far the most likely Western third party, mainly on the grounds that Japan actually really wants him.

Watch pack 2 and 3 be Erdrick and Crash as one is more eastern and one is western. Would be a fun trailer if they did a cgi trailer for them. DQ honestly is silly enough that Crash would not be too out of place tbh.
I'm pretty confident that we will see either Crash Bandicoot or Banjo & Kazooie revealed for Smash at E3 this year.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I think I already mentioned here that I'm working in a video advocating the idea of Crash in Smash, right? well, if not, I'm saying now! xP .. and since I'm taking so long, I don't mind sharing progresss.. and one of the things that I captured for the video was that evolution. Hope that also bring attention to the the Crash4Smash hashtag on Twitter (I'd appriciate if you all share and like it).

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Hellooo?! Is anybody here? According to vgchartz the Switch version of the N.Sane Trilogy surpassed 1m sales. If that's not the time to celebrate, then I dunno lads.

It's especially great to see that games like these're still doing well, when they're good. Most non-Nintendo JnRs are slowly dying or have a fate like Sonic lol.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'll never give up on the idea of having Crash in Smash, .. but frankly, I'm almost giving up on the this thread. I love Smashboards and I have my best memories of Smash speculation from here, but it's starting to get depressing having to call out on people to keep the thread moving..

c'mon there's a big new game coming in our favorite franchise! So much to talk about the future of the series.. the possibilites of Crash in Ultimate, movesets, stage, music, ... and the thread always falling in obscurity.

I'll keep posting for sure, but I'm not anyone's dad here anyway. I hope you guys keep the thing going here ~

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I mean part of it feels like we are in a news rut. What is there to discuss right now we did not discuss in December? We are in a lull for news both on smash and on CTR. I expect the thread to pick up then.

It also helps that we ain’t the biggest fan base on Smashboards. While we are popular we ain’t one of the threads that regularly ends up on page one. We ain’t Geno or Isaac for instance. What we need to do is make Crash a bigger deal to people.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean part of it feels like we are in a news rut. What is there to discuss right now we did not discuss in December? We are in a lull for news both on smash and on CTR. I expect the thread to pick up then.

It also helps that we ain’t the biggest fan base on Smashboards. While we are popular we ain’t one of the threads that regularly ends up on page one. We ain’t Geno or Isaac for instance. What we need to do is make Crash a bigger deal to people.
Not just Smash and CTR, the Switch in general doesn't have much planned to be coming for now that isn't a multi-platform big-name or indie third-party game (besides CTR, I mean).

So how does one go on about it? Isaac has Golden Sunday and their letters, Geno has Operation Starfall, so I'm not sure exactly what can be done to eclipse those.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
My experiences with the Arle thread are fairly similar, though she's in a tight spot while Crash has got it good like he never has before (since the late 90's, that is, even if my experiences, memories, and most loved installments are from the early-mid 2000's). Not sure why he isn't a frontrunner, unless leak culture has pervaded through us this far that characters who aren't leaked don't get attention.

Still, I feel like trying to raise support for Crash in Smash is as simple as buying Nitro-Fueled when it comes out (probably specifically on Switch, though PS4/Xbone are fine too), although it'll be too late to really make a difference. There's not much we need to do to change fate, we just need him to stay notable.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Been playing through the N. Sane Trilogy and man, there are so many songs I'd want Crash to come with lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
unless leak culture has pervaded through us this far that characters who aren't leaked don't get attention.

Still, I feel like trying to raise support for Crash in Smash is as simple as buying Nitro-Fueled when it comes out (probably specifically on Switch, though PS4/Xbone are fine too), although it'll be too late to really make a difference. There's not much we need to do to change fate, we just need him to stay notable.
That's the thing, 5Chan's "leak" has destroyed any momentum for fan support regarding most picks at the moment.

In any case, the best thing to hope for is more than one DLC season, if Sakurai remains intent on supporting the game with everything he's got.

Top Bottom