• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So, as i suspected, the leak was just too good to be true.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76588672

But, we shouldn't lose hope. If anything, the reactions people had for this leak shows that Crash is in fact a popular candidate for Smash
The original "leak" was on 4chan by someone named PapoPapo. This Lazzyman guy copied his leak onto Gamefaqs, and seems to be making **** up as he goes along. The original 4chan leaker even says he is a faker. So it's not confirmed fake.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Great, now I'll have to decide between the Crash trilogy and Wolfenstein 2. (I'll get both eventually, but I'd rather not pay $180 for two games, so I'll have to prioritize one of them)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Just a thought... but what if Crash is too late to be added? His port was announced at the same time as the Smash Bros announcement wasn't it?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Just a thought... but what if Crash is too late to be added? His port was announced at the same time as the Smash Bros announcement wasn't it?
I think it is too late for base game. Even if the port was announced for Switch at the same time it was announced for PS4 (June 2016), the announcement alone of N Sane Trilogy likely wouldn't have been enough for Sakurai to pick Crash for base game. However, considering how iconic Crash is, even in Japan, and the high praise the remake has gotten, I think it is a very safe bet to see him as one of the first DLC characters. Nothing to worry about!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think it is too late for base game. Even if the port was announced for Switch at the same time it was announced for PS4 (June 2016), the announcement alone of N Sane Trilogy likely wouldn't have been enough for Sakurai to pick Crash for base game. However, considering how iconic Crash is, even in Japan, and the high praise the remake has gotten, I think it is a very safe bet to see him as one of the first DLC characters. Nothing to worry about!
I’d argue that for third parties things are a bit different. It’s just as likely that Activision could have approached Nintendo before the switch port was official or the game was even announced.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I’d argue that for third parties things are a bit different. It’s just as likely that Activision could have approached Nintendo before the switch port was official or the game was even announced.
Why would Activision approach Nintendo about putting Crash or Spyro into Smash Bros unless they knew before the announcement? Would they meet Nintendo and say "We figure you might be working on Smash Bros Switch so, while we are here let's talk about adding them?" Wouldn't Nintendo be the ones to approach?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Why would Activision approach Nintendo about putting Crash or Spyro into Smash Bros unless they knew before the announcement? Would they meet Nintendo and say "We figure you might be working on Smash Bros Switch so, while we are here let's talk about adding them?" Wouldn't Nintendo be the ones to approach?
1. We do not know how Third Party negotiations generally work. We can just as easily assume one party approaching as we could the other.

2. I think we can assume, like how most of the world did, that after the N Sane Trilogy announcement it would be a timed exclusive. Even then, Crash could still appear, FF7 remake was not confirmed for Switch or Wii U.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
people tend to underestimate chances of Crash being on the base roster. Sure, I also agree that he would be a good fit for DLC since he'd actually sell by himself a whole lot, but there's also the risk of Smash Switch lacking that heavy hitter 3rd Party guest for the base game.. (Rayman? Bomberman? great choices, but not that gigantic icon that Crash is, or how Snake, Sonic or Pac-Man were in the last two entries). Unless they want to sell the game with no cuts from Smash4 (which is something I personally believe), and call it a day until DLC comes.

Again, Nintendo and Activision were close together by the time Crash revival was on works, it's a safe assumption that they were at least aware of future plans. --Nintendo wouldn't allow their characters in Skylanders having a crossover with Crash Bandicoot if wasn't for that. The very announcement of N. Sane Trilogy for Switch means little on the big scheme of things.. of course it helps (it's a game that it's a mutual interest for both companies to promote once the character is added in Smash), but there's way much more to take into consideration.. that's not the solely reason that Crash would be added.

Western characters is always a big mystery for Smash Bros. and being popular in Japan is a trump that few of them have, and Crash has that in abundance. So, at least is more believable they'd incline to pick a character that have some significance for Japanese players.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I am kind of digging the new Switch screenshots because Crash looks more... orange.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So in the grand finale of the most wanted bracket, Crash came in 2nd. Not bad for a character people were very hesitant on in the RTC. Almost makes me want to consider a rereate some day...

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
well, since we're cool to talk about the other 3rd Party contenders along Crash here (and, honestly, I don't think one is competing with another for a single spot in the game. They can be all be added due time on top of the current guests we already have from Smash4), I think I can share this here! =)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
We have exactly 3 weeks before the day when we'll know the truth.
Time seems to be flying and i'm really excited for the possibility of it happening at E3 and scared at the same time because it may not be the case. I'm agonizing

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Don't stress yourself up. There's always the 50/50 chance to happen, but you need to prepare for the otherwise too. But at the same time, I'd say to not give up on the dream.. after all, it's guarantee that this game will have DLC, and Crash (if not in the base game) definetly is one of the first choices for that. And even if it's unlikely, they can keep some surprises for after E3 and still before the release.

keep cool! Everyone is expecting their wished characters to show up at E3, but there's so much more we need to know about the game... we even didn't see a peek on the visual XD.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, they can even announce someone as unexpected as Goku at E3. Literally anything could make it in Smash when you consider the series roster so far. Crash has a good chance. Nothing's impossible with Super Smash Bros.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I have never played a Crash game (or atleast don’t remember playing one), but something about Sakurai putting Crash (a former PlayStation mascot) in Smash Bros (a Nintendo fighting game), starring Mario (the face of Nintendo and possibly of all gaming...unless that’s still Pac Man) and Sonic (Sega I guess...I got nothing other than him and Crash having a mascot War aswell)...that sounds amazing

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Does anyone have any info about that leak some days ago mentioning crash and spyro in smash switch?

Haven't seem people comment on it for a while and i'd like to know if it has already been proven false or not

SonicMario

Smash Master
Does anyone have any info about that leak some days ago mentioning crash and spyro in smash switch?

Haven't seem people comment on it for a while and i'd like to know if it has already been proven false or not
I assume you mean the one that also mentioned Captain Toad?

I think it's been mostly dismissed as one of those too detailed fake 4chan leaks (Reminder it didn't just have Smash . Example: among the details, you also had apparently Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi getting to be playable in Mario Odyssey. Not particularly likely if you ask me). 4chan has leaked stuff before, such as the ESRB leak for Smash 4. But that had video evidence, roster screenshots, and everything.

While I'm not saying I completely believe the Vergeben/Metroidvania On Ice leak yet. There's a much more plausible air to it. There's room for Crash to possibly been selected when the roster was decided. But probably not Spyro just yet. Though I think both are more likely DLC candidates then base game anyhow.

If we're wrong about this and it's actually the Captain Toad, Crash, and Spyro leak that was closer to the truth this E3 I wouldn't mind personally. But I don't think the person who created that one has any kind of known past history. Vergeben has got some things right, but also some things wrong. But having a few things right is better then someone who hasn't had anything either way.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So, the vergeban leak that mentions Snake, Simon Belmont, Ridley and some other characters is getting a lot of credibility lately.
How are you guys feeling about Crash chances right now? Do you think the high chance of vergeban's leak being real hurts crash's chances or he can still make it even if this leak is true?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, the vergeban leak that mentions Snake, Simon Belmont, Ridley and some other characters is getting a lot of credibility lately.
How are you guys feeling about Crash chances right now? Do you think the high chance of vergeban's leak being real hurts crash's chances or he can still make it even if this leak is true?
It doesn't really seem to impact them either way. It's not like Vergeben is claiming to know the entire roster, after all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If true, Crash's E3 reveal seems unlikely but you never know how these things will go. He could be DLC because, let's be honest we'd pay extra for Crash and Plumber boy to duke it out.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
With E3 arriving at almost a blink of an eye, here's hoping for a Crash Team Racing remaster to get announced as we're also very close to the release date of N. Sane Trilogy on PC, Switch and Xbox One. And maybe even another Crash announcement in Nintendo's conference? Still okay with Crash only making it as DLC for Smash.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
A confirmation of other characters don't really hurt Crash's chances. Vergeban didn't say Crash Bandicoot would never be in Smash and he didn't even mention the Inklings in his leak. And besides, there's a chance that Vergeban is wrong.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe E3 could outright showcase the final roster complete with Crash, Simon, Ridley, Krystal, Daisy, Tails, Inklings, and all the veterans returning including ones who were previously cut? Probably not since it would spoil too much if it confirms the whole roster at once.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I fully support. I've really been enjoying the N-Sane trilogy on Switch and am all for creating more historic dream matchups between Nintendo and third party characters.

Maybe E3 could outright showcase the final roster complete with Crash, Simon, Ridley, Krystal, Daisy, Tails, Inklings, and all the veterans returning including ones who were previously cut? Probably not since it would spoil too much if it confirms the whole roster at once.
Likely not. Even if release happens to be in September, there would almost certainly be an August Smash direct and then the final few newcomers/veterans that don't get formally revealed until after launch like tradition.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Count me as a supporter. Having Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man AND Crash Bandicoot, arguably gaming's greatest mascots, in the same game together, would be a dream come true. Let's just hope that Sakurai saw something unique in the character to include him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That's not going to happen - a big part of getting people excited for these games is the build-up and speculation, and it would ruin that aspect of it if the entire roster, veterans and newcomers, were revealed in the game's first big showcase.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT! I just knew there was a Crash support thread here somewhere!
Peeps, lemme just say, that after Rayman, Crash is easily my numero uno third party guest. To say that a potential duel OR team-up between Plumber Boy, Sonic & you know who wouldn't be epic would just be criminal (.....or, you know, whom ever says this just isn't into the bandicoot, which is cool, too...). So best believe I want to show the love for one of my childhood characters.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Seeing this wave of characters being deconfirmed is really scary, and bomberman is included in it, which is really sad for me.

With Vergeban's leak being basically confirmed at this point and Simon Belmont probably just waiting to be revealed, alongside the statement made by Sakurai that we shouldn't expect too much newcomers, i'm actually not that confident in Crash's chances anymore, but i'll still continue supporting him to appear in a Smash game until the end of my life.

Do you guys still have hope for Crash to be revealed in the future or maybe as DLC?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seeing this wave of characters being deconfirmed is really scary, and bomberman is included in it, which is really sad for me.

With Vergeban's leak being basically confirmed at this point and Simon Belmont probably just waiting to be revealed, alongside the statement made by Sakurai that we shouldn't expect too much newcomers, i'm actually not that confident in Crash's chances anymore, but i'll still continue supporting him to appear in a Smash game until the end of my life.

Do you guys still have hope for Crash to be revealed in the future or maybe as DLC?
Crash's chances are still decent. To me at least. As long as he's still relevant in the gaming world(which he is), he's got a chance. He's a big name and has not been deconfirmed. Keep those fingers crossed, the hope is still there.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
I am hoping for late DLC like Cloud at this point. I doubt there will be more than a dozen newcomers at launch.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you got nearly everything right.

lol

Top Bottom