• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Just throwing my wish list up. I couldn't decide between Lara Croft or Sora. I feel like Sora would make it in before her though. Crash and Scorpion would be the BIG E3 reveals.
smash wishlist.jpg

Also.. I would really love to see Digimon and Pokemon in the same game..

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
...Is it bad that I feel more mascots/animal/platformer characters should make up the second pass?
They will. Human fighters are running thin and need to break the ice. Characters like Crash makes the perfect lead for something like this

Whether it be Challenger Pack 6, 7, 8, or all the way to 11, I strongly feel that Crash is a lock for Vol. 2 of the Fighters Pass. This timeline is the PERFECT opportunity for one of the main mascot trio from the 90s console wars to make it into Smash and make the clash of dreams a reality. Mario v. Sonic v. Crash v. Pacman. Out of all the character names speculated throughout Ultimate's DLC cycle, at this point in time I feel more confident that Crash is definitely making it in. :)
Now that right there is a new type of dream match I've yet to see. And it hits me that all of these guys are on my Smackdown brand...I can make that a WrestleMania moment (random post for me with my Smash Bros stuff lol)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Evil Crash already has a hard time getting in as a skin for Nitro-Fueled, let alone this. A spirit would be reasonable enough, though.
I'd say Evil Crash is extremely likely to come as a playable character in a future Grand Prix in CTR:NF, and that's why he hasn't appeared as a Crash skin. Most likely, it will probably be in some sort of Twinsanity themed one which is a game that has several requested characters missing from CTR (Madame Amberly, Evil Crash himself, the Evil Twins and even farmer Ernest which only appears in a very brief part of the game). Evil Crash is also referenced in Nina's Nightmare and has a sticker in the game, which suggests even further how likely he is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd say Evil Crash is extremely likely to come as a playable character in a future Grand Prix in CTR:NF, and that's why he hasn't appeared as a Crash skin. Most likely, it will probably be in some sort of Twinsanity themed one which is a game that has several requested characters missing from CTR (Madame Amberly, Evil Crash himself, the Evil Twins and even farmer Ernest which only appears in a very brief part of the game). Evil Crash is also referenced in Nina's Nightmare and has a sticker in the game, which suggests even further how likely he is.
One thing I wonder about is if they'll straight up use his Evil moniker, or go for the Nega one to be consistent with Dark Coco.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
On the topic of cartoony characters, I wouldn't get your hopes up for too many. The only third party platformer/mascot I can really see making it in is Crash. Any more would be from Nintendo (Waluigi, Geno, Pokemon etc). It's unfortunate, but platforms just don't have much of a presence nowadays then they did in the past, when hardware limitations weren't very kind and platformers pretty much ruled the industry because they were the best looking games back then. Today, most games try their best to be as epic as possible and the only platformers nowadays come from either Nintendo or indie developers. It's very rare you see a big company make one and when they do, it's usually for a notable IP.

That said, there are plenty of "human" or "mature" characters that have a good shot of making it in. Dante, Sora, Master Chief, Scorpion, Doom Slayer, Phoenix Wright, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, I could go on and on. The only other third party platformer mascot I can possibly see making it is Rayman, and even then, if he were being planned, I feel like they would have held off the Assassin's Creed and Rabbid costumes for him. You do have indie characters and as cool as it would be to see Shantae, Quote, Hollow Knight and Hat Kid in the game, I feel like Sakurai is saving them for special costumes, similar to Sans and Cuphead, as it is a nod to indie creators, giving their characters a place in Smash even if they aren't fully fleshed out characters. Sorry, but I just can't see indie characters making in, except maybe Shantae, but even then, her chances are slim. If three of the biggest indie characters failed to become a fighter, what chance does any other have?

Overall, I'm prepared for anything to happen. Who knows? Maybe we could be getting Rayman or an indie rep or whatever, but the chances are not very high, especially when you take into account all the other characters who have better chances of making the roster. I'm very confident in Crash's chances because of how well his games have been doing recently, and he's a gaming icon at that, which is more than can be said about most third party platformers mascots. Not trying to tell you not to support other mascots, but just don't get too carried away, that's all.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
On the topic of cartoony characters, I wouldn't get your hopes up for too many. The only third party platformer/mascot I can really see making it in is Crash. Any more would be from Nintendo (Waluigi, Geno, Pokemon etc). It's unfortunate, but platforms just don't have much of a presence nowadays then they did in the past, when hardware limitations weren't very kind and platformers pretty much ruled the industry because they were the best looking games back then. Today, most games try their best to be as epic as possible and the only platformers nowadays come from either Nintendo or indie developers. It's very rare you see a big company make one and when they do, it's usually for a notable IP.

That said, there are plenty of "human" or "mature" characters that have a good shot of making it in. Dante, Sora, Master Chief, Scorpion, Doom Slayer, Phoenix Wright, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, I could go on and on. The only other third party platformer mascot I can possibly see making it is Rayman, and even then, if he were being planned, I feel like they would have held off the Assassin's Creed and Rabbid costumes for him. You do have indie characters and as cool as it would be to see Shantae, Quote, Hollow Knight and Hat Kid in the game, I feel like Sakurai is saving them for special costumes, similar to Sans and Cuphead, as it is a nod to indie creators, giving their characters a place in Smash even if they aren't fully fleshed out characters. Sorry, but I just can't see indie characters making in, except maybe Shantae, but even then, her chances are slim. If three of the biggest indie characters failed to become a fighter, what chance does any other have?

Overall, I'm prepared for anything to happen. Who knows? Maybe we could be getting Rayman or an indie rep or whatever, but the chances are not very high, especially when you take into account all the other characters who have better chances of making the roster. I'm very confident in Crash's chances because of how well his games have been doing recently, and he's a gaming icon at that, which is more than can be said about most third party platformers mascots. Not trying to tell you not to support other mascots, but just don't get too carried away, that's all.
Oh, I get what you mean. I still want characters like Heihachi too, it was just something I had on my mind is all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, whenever anyone brings up the supposed issue of character design balance, I feel compelled to bring up this series as a rebuttal to remind how fortunate we are:

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Project_X_Zone

Seriously, the devs were so strangely against cartoony characters that Tron Bonne and the Servbots were jettisoned out for the sequel in favor of Mokujin, who is an unusual case anyway.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Never played Project X Zone but I don't know if that's really an issue. I guess that the series tone is different and aims for other things, maybe for that reason the creators didn't want cartoony characters.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
When I think of animal type characters, I happen to think of characters like Crash, Rayman, Agumon, and Klonoa for example.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Crash would be a great addition to the roster. I've never been his biggest fan but he'd fit right in and he definitely has an iconic gaming status. Plus, I'm always, always down for more mascot type characters.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
The best part about Crash Bandicoot is that he is VERY popular here AND the east. I'm sure Japan would be head over heels if Crash joined. The east didn't react badly to Banjo but they weren't as excited for Banjo as they were for Hero according to some things translated after both of the reveals. Crash would def make a bigger splash for the east than Banjo did, which is a big plus!

Besides Crash being my favorite gaming icon of all time. Smash needs LESS HUMAN-like fighters. Banjo was in that pass and surrounded by a bunch of anime looking dudes. So weird. When Smash adds more animals or cartoon-like characters, it makes the game feel less basic imo. Human characters are great, but damn put some diversity in there. Crash is just one example. They could do Rayman, Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, even a harmless looking doll. (looking at you Geno)

And while I'm a huge fan of the following: Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Lara Croft, Sora, Master Chief, Doom Slayer...etc. The list goes on and on, but something about seeing so many human characters gets tiring after awhile..

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
The best part about Crash Bandicoot is that he is VERY popular here AND the east. I'm sure Japan would be head over heels if Crash joined. The east didn't react badly to Banjo but they weren't as excited for Banjo as they were for Hero according to some things translated after both of the reveals. Crash would def make a bigger splash for the east than Banjo did, which is a big plus!

Besides Crash being my favorite gaming icon of all time. Smash needs LESS HUMAN-like fighters. Banjo was in that pass and surrounded by a bunch of anime looking dudes. So weird. When Smash adds more animals or cartoon-like characters, it makes the game feel less basic imo. Human characters are great, but damn put some diversity in there. Crash is just one example. They could do Rayman, Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, even a harmless looking doll. (looking at you Geno)

And while I'm a huge fan of the following: Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Lara Croft, Sora, Master Chief, Doom Slayer...etc. The list goes on and on, but something about seeing so many human characters gets tiring after awhile..
See, that's my mindset too! The first pass is so jarring having all humans and then Banjo.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
See, that's my mindset too! The first pass is so jarring having all humans and then Banjo.
I have to agree. I actually thought about it before. Isn't it kinda odd that we got one cartoonish creature while the rest of the Fighter's Pass was all humans? I think they need to do better with that with the next pass.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Just something that’s bugging me but if someone like Waluigi were to get in would that count as a human character? Because he looks silly enough to be cartoony in my eyes.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree.

I'm SO bored of "realistic" humans in Smash. Stylized ones like Mario and Ness are great, but 4/5 of the fighters pass characters were regular humans.
I want more cartoony characters, mascots, and creatures. Smash is so much more fun when the characters are wacky and cartoony instead of "cool".

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have a new idea for Crash:

Neutral Air: Flipper Flop

Using his scuba gear from Warped, Crash kicks his feet 4 times. He's given a wide range of attack with this gear, allowing him to hit those slightly above, below and in front of him, as well as those closely behind him. It's similar to Snake's NAir in that it's a series of kicks; while most characters have a 360 degree attack that protects them at all angles, Crash's NAir leaves his back exposed. This would be a problem if his Neutral Special wasn't so versatile on the ground AND in the air, and since that move hits at all angles, an NAir that did the same is redundant.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Just something that’s bugging me but if someone like Waluigi were to get in would that count as a human character? Because he looks silly enough to be cartoony in my eyes.
Stylized humans don't count to me, but if you look like you all came from the same Earth then it's kind of bleh.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Stylized humans don't count to me, but if you look like you all came from the same Earth then it's kind of bleh.
Eh, me personally, I don’t really mind what a character looks like as long as they are fun to play as, but I can see where you guys are coming from.

Though I’d much rather move on from this topic and focus on something else now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If anyone cares, Crash suit guy promoted the Super Bowl recently.

No, there is no game announcement, in case anyone wondered.

These next couple weeks better breeze on quickly so that we have something new to talk about for N-F.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
If anyone cares, Crash suit guy promoted the Super Bowl recently.

No, there is no game announcement, in case anyone wondered.

These next couple weeks better breeze on quickly so that we have something new to talk about for N-F.
Seems like this is going to be regular now, which is good? It'll remind people Crash is around more than ever!

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sounds like we won't get a reveal for the Bandicoot's next game this month, then. Back to the wait for June...
tbh my biggest dream is to Activision to pull a major troll on Sony and reveal Crash at a direct alongside his appearance in Smash. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but i'm not a fan of Sony's desceptive marketing towards Crash trying to make him look like it's their IP when he isn't,

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
tbh my biggest dream is to Activision to pull a major troll on Sony and reveal Crash at a direct alongside his appearance in Smash. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but i'm not a fan of Sony's desceptive marketing towards Crash trying to make him look like it's their IP when he isn't,
Well, besides Ratchet and Clank, who are way less noticeable by casual audiences, Sony doesn't really have a highly known platformer rep that compares with Mario.
It is dumb that Sony pretends Crash is their character, because it makes no sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, besides Ratchet and Clank, who are way less noticeable by casual audiences, Sony doesn't really have a highly known platformer rep that compares with Mario.
It is dumb that Sony pretends Crash is their character, because it makes no sense.
Seriously. Plus R&C have been put on a hiatus for 4 years and counting, and we're expected to believe their franchise hasn't been cancelled yet.

Sony goes through mascots like one goes through pairs of trousers; they get used up, then dumped for fresh new ones. They don't even try to acknowledge their older characters, games or history most of the time. And they don't have a virtual museum like Smash tends to be.

The most pathetic thing about it is that Ape Escape got its own Twitter account for its 20th anniversary, and absolutely nothing else. Anyone wanting to design cartoony mascots for games may as well stay as far away from Sony as possible.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Seriously. Plus R&C have been put on a hiatus for 4 years and counting, and we're expected to believe their franchise hasn't been cancelled yet.

Sony goes through mascots like one goes through pairs of trousers; they get used up, then dumped for fresh new ones. They don't even try to acknowledge their older characters, games or history most of the time. And they don't have a virtual museum like Smash tends to be.

The most pathetic thing about it is that Ape Escape got its own Twitter account for its 20th anniversary, and absolutely nothing else. Anyone wanting to design cartoony mascots for games may as well stay as far away from Sony as possible.
On a related note it's being rumored and from the looks of it that it seems likely (No Surprise) that a sequel to 2016's Ratchet & Clank is in development from Insomniac Games and could either be a launch/window title for the Playstation 5.

While I'm happy with just my Switch at the moment, But If that's true (Which I believe it it) than it will probably nudge me more to get a PS5 than an Xbox Series X if I do plan on getting one of them.

The Ratchet & Clank series always looked really cool and appealing to me, But never really got a chance to play it growing up because I had a Gamecube/Wii during it's inception, But when I did have PS4 for a a while the reboot was on the top of my radar and really enjoyed it and loved watching the cutscenes, Still need to watch the movie, It's a shame it flopped, But not too surprising at the same time because while it's one of Sony's major IP's and main platformer franchise, It unfortunately lacks major mainstream appeal like all of Sony's kid friendlier IP's, Than again you can say that for "Most" series not by Nintendo, Crash Bandicoot like mentioned before was the closest thing they had.

I would also liketo see them reboot Sly Cooper too as I also have not tackled that series either.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, Rainmaker aren't as good at writing entertaining works as they used to be. There's a reason the game sold more than the associated movie's ticket sales.

As for Sly Cooper, I'd be cool with that as long as Sanzaru stays as far away from that as possible.

Meanwhile, even leakers are skeptical of MandyCan now, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's just a theorist that got lucky.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
On a related note it's being rumored and from the looks of it that it seems likely (No Surprise) that a sequel to 2016's Ratchet & Clank is in development from Insomniac Games and could either be a launch/window title for the Playstation 5.

While I'm happy with just my Switch at the moment, But If that's true (Which I believe it it) than it will probably nudge me more to get a PS5 than an Xbox Series X if I do plan on getting one of them.

The Ratchet & Clank series always looked really cool and appealing to me, But never really got a chance to play it growing up because I had a Gamecube/Wii during it's inception, But when I did have PS4 for a a while the reboot was on the top of my radar and really enjoyed it and loved watching the cutscenes, Still need to watch the movie, It's a shame it flopped, But not too surprising at the same time because while it's one of Sony's major IP's and main platformer franchise, It unfortunately lacks major mainstream appeal like all of Sony's kid friendlier IP's, Than again you can say that for "Most" series not by Nintendo, Crash Bandicoot like mentioned before was the closest thing they had.

I would also liketo see them reboot Sly Cooper too as I also have not tackled that series either.
TBH, never was a fan of Ratchet and Clank. I played the PS2 trilogy and Crack in Time. But... I did not enjoy them that much. I liked the writing and I found the games fun, but they are far from being among my favorites. I always preferred Jak 1 and the Sly Cooper Trilogy.

It is a shame that we are not getting Crash news sooner with Sony. I mean, what are the odds that we get Crash as FP6 next week in a Nintendo direct, am I right? Alongside Paper Mario stuff and 3D world.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Also, Rainmaker aren't as good at writing entertaining works as they used to be. There's a reason the game sold more than the associated movie's ticket sales.

As for Sly Cooper, I'd be cool with that as long as Sanzaru stays as far away from that as possible.

Meanwhile, even leakers are skeptical of MandyCan now, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's just a theorist that got lucky.
I heard the movie was solid and is pretty much Ratchet & Clank cinematics in movie length/form some that were repurposed for the game if I'm not mistaken, Still plan to watch it some point as I'm sure I will still enjoy it.

I was surprised Sony didn't use their in house studio (Sony Pictures Animation) for Ratchet & Clank, But I would imagine they only used that for bigger projects and decided to outsource it to a smaller, lesser studio to keep cost low because they probably thought it wouldn't do that well, (Correct me if I'm wrong, But this is what I assume)

Same goes for the Sly Cooper movie which was also was in production from the same studio, But looks like it's on hold or even more likely led Sony to cancel it all together after Ratchet & Clank flopped.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I heard the movie was solid and is pretty much Ratchet & Clank cinematics in movie length/form some that were repurposed for the game if I'm not mistaken, Still plan to watch it some point as I'm sure I will still enjoy it.

I was surprised Sony didn't use their in house studio (Sony Pictures Animation) for Ratchet & Clank, But I would imagine they only used that for bigger projects and decided to outsource it to a smaller, lesser studio to keep cost low because they probably thought it wouldn't do that well, (Correct me if I'm wrong, But this is what I assume)

Same goes for the Sly Cooper movie which was also was in production from the same studio, But looks like it's on hold or even more likely led Sony to cancel it all together after Ratchet & Clank flopped.
It does help that one of the recurring VAs (David Kaye) comes from Canada to begin with, so there you go.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I have to be 100% real with you... The R&C movie isn't good. It's not bad, but it is meh. Once it was finished I was like "Well, that happened."

IDK your tastes in animated films, but to give you context, I have been a MASSIVE fan of R&C since the very beginning. It came out when I was 10, and back in 5th grade I was telling all the kids at my lunch table about this crazy game with these cool guns, toilet humor and sci-fi setting for weeks, so much so that 2 classmates got their parents to get it for them and they loved it too. I was hooked from the 1st game onward and the sequels got better and better; the guns more destructive, the humor even dirtier, the gameplay more complex and the characters more layered. I loved the Sly and Jak games as well, but Insomniac seemed to have an endless supply of ideas for R&C while Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch seemed to get tired of their guys.

Then the PS3 games came, and the tone shifted to a more character-driven plot, and I welcomed the changes. The characters had grown; Clank's no longer ridiculously naive (cuz he's not born yesterday anymore) and Ratchet's not infuriatingly selfish anymore. They had genuine depth, and while not all the ps3 games are good (A4O and FFA kinda suck TBH) they still kept the wacky sci-fi action packed gunslinger nature of the series while still being grounded somehow. There was consequences to characters' actions and some games addressed the fallout from that, but still managed to be fun and tense.

Then the movie came along, and quite frankly it threw a lot of that out the window. It took the Light and Soft approach and tried to make R&C primarily appeal to kids, but here's the thing: Ratchet uses guns. To kill things. By. The. Dozens. In a manner of minutes. R&C appeals to kids the same way Tom and Jerry appeals to kids. Yea it's a cartoon but it's incredibly violent and incredibly creative. The games are incredibly violent and creative with the guns. The games are action-packed and we have tons of movies that can do shootouts right. The "action" in the R&C movie is tame and boring; Finding Nemo has far better action scenes and it's a collection of Chase Sequences. They pull the same trick 3 times, there's a lot of missing character development, the villain is soft and lame especially compared to the PS2 version and the plot feels generic. The film constantly holds back in all directions, as it's trying to appeal to a demographic that it shouldn't bother with. The main draw of R&C is guns, and you don't wanna try to get 5 year olds into that. No adult jokes, no clever writing, no spectacle, boring "action", barely any of what made R&C what it's known for. It's safe and bland, and completely forgettable.

Honestly, you're better off playing the PS4 game and forgetting about the movie, and this is coming from an OG fan who loves the PS2 games, most PS3 games and the PS4 game. Apparently there's not that much overlap in the fandom. There seems to be different sects nowadays lol.

BACK TO CRASH: I got that robo-Megamix skin. It's ironic that it looks more coherent than the default skin lol. I really do like Megamix though; he's such an abomination and it's just EXCELLENT! They NAILED him! Still don't like Rilla Roo though, I purposely did not purchase him whenever he showed up at the pit stop. He and the Baby Bandicoots can stay there until I unlock N. Tropy.....which will never happen LMAO.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So yeah, like I said, Rainmaker completely lost their touch sometime after their name was changed from Mainframe. I mean most of their recent output is Barbie movies, for Pete's sake.

(A4O and FFA kinda suck TBH)
Those two games barely have any fans at all, so you're not alone on that front.

Anyway, I unlocked everyone, including Tropy, because I didn't want to miss his Stone Age costume forever.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
BACK TO CRASH: I got that robo-Megamix skin. It's ironic that it looks more coherent than the default skin lol. I really do like Megamix though; he's such an abomination and it's just EXCELLENT! They NAILED him! Still don't like Rilla Roo though, I purposely did not purchase him whenever he showed up at the pit stop. He and the Baby Bandicoots can stay there until I unlock N. Tropy.....which will never happen LMAO.
...I feel I'm one of very few people who actually like Rilla's new design, since he reminds me of a medium Donkey Kong. Even though there may not be enough lines to work with I've been hoping somebody would mod Rilla's voice over DK's in Ultimate.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
...I feel I'm one of very few people who actually like Rilla's new design, since he reminds me of a medium Donkey Kong. Even though there may not be enough lines to work with I've been hoping somebody would mod Rilla's voice over DK's in Ultimate.
Ah don't worry, I just never liked him to begin with. I'm coming from a a biased angle.

I'm not upset that he's in though, I just ignore him.

Top Bottom