• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
So something I really want to see represented through Crash's inclusion is the (trying to think of the right word for this) diversity of animation within his series. It's really what makes his series stand apart from the rest. Even by today's standards Crash's expressions and general animations aren't really seen among other protagonists.

Crash is REACTIVE. When he sees a boulder coming towards him he looks back at it in fear. When he slides on ice he looks concerned. He's not just standing there with a generic smile on his face. He knows things are out to kill him, and you can see the anxiety on his face as he runs around. Don't even get me started on his death animations. There are so MANY! He doesn't just fall over, he reacts specifically to what killed him. He's burnt to a crisp, frozen solid, sliced in half, it's ridiculous. Again, you just don't really see that anywhere else.

I'm sure Sakurai will make him very animated, but personally I hope he goes a step further to represent his home series. Make his appearance on the results screen be based upon what finally took him out. Have him be a pile of ashes, smashed flat, deflated like a balloon, have electric currents running through his body, etc. I would love that so much.
This is how I feel K. Rool SHOULD have been represented more. He was so "reactive" whenever he was onscreen in all the games, (like HONKING when he gets K.O.d would've been cool.. or looking at the camera every so often with a smirk on his face..)but Sakurai took the more animalistic approach. Tbh I call laziness with that approach, because Banjo got the love treatment in comparison.

I have no doubts that Crash would be fleshed out more as his natural self if he gets added though. 3rd party characters seemingly have much more work put into their characteristics for sure. Either to impress/please the company that they borrowed them from or the fact that 3rd parties come with a higher expectation than 1st parties do.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Stormy Ascent wasn't too hard for me personally, Don't get me wrong they did turn the difficulty up to 11 on that one, But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as I hear story's of people who lost around to over 100 lives or simply just can't beat it.

I was able to beat it only losing around 25-30 Lives on PS4, But that's probably because I'm a veteran of the platformer genre as it's my favorite in video games.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
This is how I feel K. Rool SHOULD have been represented more. He was so "reactive" whenever he was onscreen in all the games, (like HONKING when he gets K.O.d would've been cool.. or looking at the camera every so often with a smirk on his face..)but Sakurai took the more animalistic approach. Tbh I call laziness with that approach, because Banjo got the love treatment in comparison.

I have no doubts that Crash would be fleshed out more as his natural self if he gets added though. 3rd party characters seemingly have much more work put into their characteristics for sure. Either to impress/please the company that they borrowed them from or the fact that 3rd parties come with a higher expectation than 1st parties do.
Personally I feel K Rool has a lot of personality to him, but that sucks if there's nothing specific from DKC. My only exposure to him was through DK64, and I felt they represented him well with his FS. I'm sorry he didn't quite do it for you.
Stormy Ascent wasn't too hard for me personally, Don't get me wrong they did turn the difficulty up to 11 on that one, But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as I hear story's of people who lost around to over 100 lives or simply just can't beat it.

I was able to beat it only losing around 25-30 Lives on PS4, But that's probably because I'm a veteran of the platformer genre as it's my favorite in video games.
Ooo flexing on us huh? :p My second try it was about 60 lives, so I was glad I was improving at least. xD It wasn't even that everything in the level was that hard. Most of it I could get past pretty easily without losing too many lives. It's that damn final section and trying to find the timing with the extending and receding platforms that ate the bulk of my lives. Whew!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well just a little, But in all seriousness years of playing the Donkey Kong Country series and Super Mario Bros series prepared me for some of Crash Bandicoot's 2D tougher levels.

Not to mention I played my decent share of the original Crash Bandicoot games on the PS1 whenever I got the chance even though I grew up with the N64.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Personally I feel K Rool has a lot of personality to him, but that sucks if there's nothing specific from DKC. My only exposure to him was through DK64, and I felt they represented him well with his FS. I'm sorry he didn't quite do it for you.
I love that character with all my heart so I def noticed every little detail. Sakurai DID include when K. Rool tightens his grip constantly like he did in DKC 1 and when falling from his UP B he flaps his arms like in DKC 3.

Great stuff for whats there, but when you love the character so much you wish it was ALL there. Anyways I love Crash even more and he has been the only character I've wanted more so than K. Rool.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I love that character with all my heart so I def noticed every little detail. Sakurai DID include when K. Rool tightens his grip constantly like he did in DKC 1 and when falling from his UP B he flaps his arms like in DKC 3.

Great stuff for whats there, but when you love the character so much you wish it was ALL there. Anyways I love Crash even more and he has been the only character I've wanted more so than K. Rool.
After Smash Ultimate and Ridley were announced, I told myself if I could just get K Rool and Crash I would be totally satisfied with everything. Oh and Banjo & Kazooie, but I never thought they'd happen in a million years. They were the only other character that made me excited beyond belief besides Sonic in Brawl. If they can get in Crash can certainly make it.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I think Polar Pass would be a great track to add. How many music tracks would you guys pick and which would those be?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well just a little, But in all seriousness years of playing the Donkey Kong Country series and Super Mario Bros series prepared me for some of Crash Bandicoot's 2D tougher levels.
Funny enough, the Naughty Dog developers did confirm in an interview that they loved DKC and took great inspiration from it for the first Crash game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Funny enough, the Naughty Dog developers did confirm in an interview that they loved DKC and took great inspiration from it for the first Crash game.
Yeah I remember reading about that a while back, If I'm not mistaken Naughty Dog Co-Founder (Jason Rubin) was a big fan of Donkey Kong and you can tell just from the jungle and temple/ruins aesthetics not to mention Warped's Swimming levels that always have gave me DKC (Aquatic Ambience) vibes.

Let's not forget that Crash Team Racing was not only influenced by Mario Kart, But also Diddy Kong Racing as well.

So I find it awesome to see how much Donkey Kong played a role and influenced the Crash Bandicoot franchise as it seems Naughty Dog definitely took notes from some of Rare's work back in the day.

Being a big fan of Donkey Kong is a big reason why I find the Crash Bandicoot series so appealing because I always viewed it as not only Sony's answer to Mario, But DK as well.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Incidentally, I've seen some DKC/Crash comparisons on Twitter recently. They really have one degree of separation when you think about it. Although one has much less focus on outer space and aliens, but that's the extent of it as big differences go.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
It's funny I always thought the reason there was so many crates and almost all of them filled with Wumpa Fruit, was because Cortex was doing a King K Rool move and by stealing all of the fruit Crash loved. In DKC, K.Rool steals the DK Family Banana Hoard, while I always seen Cortex doing the same thing, stealing and monopolizing the fruit while simultaneously industrializing the whole Wumpa Islands for his benefit. Plus the Spyro & Crash relationship always reminded me of the Donkey Kong & Banjo-Kazooie relationship.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Incidentally, I've seen some DKC/Crash comparisons on Twitter recently. They really have one degree of separation when you think about it. Although one has much less focus on outer space and aliens, but that's the extent of it as big differences go.
The 1st games in both series are very similar in setting and aesthetics, But Crash Bandicoot's sequels still keep that while going towards a Sci-Fi/futuristic direction with a Looney Tunes slapstick style of humor which DKC has ,But not to the extent of Crash, Though Donkey Kong 64 turns it up to 11 on that factor which I love because I grew up watching Looney Tunes.
It's funny I always thought the reason there was so many crates and almost all of them filled with Wumpa Fruit, was because Cortex was doing a King K Rool move and by stealing all of the fruit Crash loved. In DKC, K.Rool steals the DK Family Banana Hoard, while I always seen Cortex doing the same thing, stealing and monopolizing the fruit while simultaneously industrializing the whole Wumpa Islands for his benefit. Plus the Spyro & Crash relationship always reminded me of the Donkey Kong & Banjo-Kazooie relationship.
Other than DK, Banjo-Kazooie has a lot in common with Crash Bandicoot too.

Both were platforming icons from legendary western developers and faces for the respective platforms in N64 and PS1 only to have the franchise and company's behind it sold off and change ownership go through mediocrity for the most of the mid 2000's as washed up has beens with subpar games and spinoffs only for fans begging on their knees for either a remaster/sequel/reboot.

Luckily we were able to successfully bring back Crash Bandicoot in 2017 with N.Sane Trilogy and last year CTR Nitro Fueled, The Bandicoot is back in the spotlight and his future looks bright again as Activision appears to have plans for the franchise, Hopefully one of those is a roster spot in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Banjo-Kazooie has a bit more catching up to do as his last major game was in 2008, But Crash and Spyro show that there is a market for platformers not named Mario, 20 years of fan demand was able to finally get him into Smash so here's hoping that all that positive exposure rejuvenates the franchise enough to get Microsoft to remaster the 1st 2 games and maybe a sequel or reboot down the line.

That's why I'm really pulling for Crash Bandicoot to make it into Smash, Because I see a lot of what I and some Banjo-Kazooie fans went through with this fanbase and thread to do whatever it took to bring back our beloved "Cereal Mascots" back to relevancy.

Here's hoping for a role reversal regarding remasters and a smash roster spot for both franchises in the very near future.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
So apparently it was leaked to Papagenos that Crash is #6 by someone that predicted the Cuphead Mii costume:

He mentions the "Twitter Trick" as a good reason to be cautious of the Mandy leak, but then informs us of the next leak shortly after.

Idk, I'm trying to contain myself, but things are looking up. I can already hardly fathom Smash Ultimate in it's current state, but if Crash got in? Jesus...
I remember that someone leaked to Papageno's that grinch leak was true...

I am still cautious about Crash, and in general I don't trust videos where Papageno's says that someone said him a famous rumour is a true leak...

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here’s some of the moves id want from Crash for fun
He’d be a trap/zone character.

Crash Bandicoot Specials

B Spin

You hit B once crash will do the standard version of his iconic spin move it is very fast startup and has little recovery, Meg damage but with decent knockback. Mashing the B button 3 times in quick succession will cause crash to execute a much longer version of the spin that will cause him to float a little vertically and a lot horizontally how it floats forward and back can be manipulated based on direction you hold it (good stalling your fall and horizontal recovery tool)(does more or less damage than original based on how many hits connect but has the same good knockback . All spins reflect projectiles. Spins also shoot normal crates forward like a projectile (projectile is very fast (unreactable up close but shrinks to nothing over a distance.) Spins don’t put crash in free fall. The mash spin can only be done one time while in the air, any other spins will be normal after. (Spins will probably only kill near ledge or upper percent)

B over is Wumpa Bazooka

Crash pulls out his bazooka and fires horizontally upon tap a deadly wumpa fruit shot (good kill move 130 on normal characters), if you hold be you’ll remain in the bazooka state, you can’t move while it’s out but you can pretty precisely aim up or down before shooting. The projectile isn’t super fast or slow due to its power/damage.

B Up Arrow Crate

An arrow crate appears under crash bouncing him up, has no attack hitbox but doesn’t put crash in free fall so you can act out of it and even jump if you have it stored. Arrow crate stays and can be bounced on 2 more times after initial bounce before breaking, each consecutive bounce sends you higher than the last. Arrow crates stay if bounces aren’t used up and can be used by other players, attack hitboxes can destroy them and they can be shot like projectiles like normal crates with your spin attack. There can be up to 3 up arrows on the stage before the earliest one disappears. If normal or metal crates are dropped on the arrows they will continuously bounce creating a hitbox that can hit you or the opponent if your hit (normal crates can keep bouncing without using up the bounce count but metal and tnt crates will count toward the limit). Metal crates will hit harder (potentially kill at higher percents when bouncing) and tnt crates will explode if you attack a bouncing one (the countdown immediately start upon bouncing). (Nitro crates explode upon hitting the arrow)

B Down: Crate drop

By tapping down B Crash will quickly drop either a normal crate (75% of the time) or a metal one (25%). If done on the ground it will be placed directly in front of crash carefully there is a small hitbox upon initial drop that is relatively weak (metal will have more knockback/damage). When on the ground the normal crate can be destroyed by any attack or being jumped on but crash has the ability to send it flying as a projectile by spinning into it (it’s a weak hitting projectile with little knockback but it’s very fast), metal crates on the ground cannot be destroyed by attacks (you can destroy them with crash’s down air though or tnt/nitro crates) they can be rolled through though. When this grounded move (or its alt hold version) is done in front of an already placed crate crash will carefully stack it on top of the other crate. When done from the air the crate will drop where crash would normally place it, normal crates fall slow and don’t do much damage/knockback on hit (will break if hitting an opponent while falling) (and can actually be spun into to shoot a crate projectile influenced by physics), metal crates will fall quickly and deal better damage and knockback (also influenced by drop distance) (potential kill move at higher percent’s) if it falls on normal crate/s it will break them, if it were to fall on a tnt or nitro crate it would be destroyed by the explosion, metal crates will just stack on each other. If you hold the b button crash will take out in a slower fashion a TNT crate (75%) or a Nitro crate (25%) and place it down (if grounded), if hitting an opponent while being placed the countdown will start for it (knockback/damage is the same as normal crate/), if the nitro crate hits the opponent while placing it down it will cause an early kill move level explosion (100% and up on normal characters) that will hit both crash and the opponent. TNT crates will explode when attacked doing an early kill move attack just like the nitro explosion, if they are just jumped on or fall hitting something they will begin their 3 second countdown till they explode on their own, nitro crates will explode upon contact from anything except them being placed while grounded or them being stacked on other crates the explosion is the same early kill move from before. When this hold version is done in air TNT crates fall the same speed as normal crates do with the same knockback but will immediately begin a countdown if hitting an opponent (attacks still make them explode) upon landing the count down will immediately begin, Nitro crates fall the same speed as the tnt and will explode on contact with anything (same kill early move). You can only have up to 3 of the tap crates and 3 of the hold crates out on the stage before the earliest one breaks or explodes. (so in theory you can have 6 crates of these type out) (9 including the up arrow crates). (Crates are a great means of stage control).

Crash down air
Crash goes up a tiny bit vertically then goes for a quick belly flop that breaks shield and all crates (if some crates are broken beneath a small shockwave similar to dedede’s stars will surround him extending the attacks range, the shockwave doesn’t break shields though)

Crash down tilt

He does his slide move from the series very quickly that pops opponent’s up perfectly for a combo.

Forward throw

Crash places a TNT on the opponents head similar to CTR then kicks them in the crotch knocking them a little forward (does the least damage/knockback of his throws) starting a countdown till explosion, (jumping twice will pop the tnt crate off having it fly off in an arch behind you where it will explode once it hits the ground or the timer runs out)

Dash attack

Has Crash doing a version of his spin while moving forward on the ground angled forward (spin part still reflects projectiles and will send normal crates forward.)

Side Taunt
Crotch Chop Dance

Down Taunt
Hog Wild Look

The rest of his moves would probably be pretty standard (unless I’m forgetting something)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I've seen this being reported on recently.

Apparently they don't normally tweet this kind of stuff. What do you think? Are we reaching the light of the tunnel, or will the goalpost be moved by year's end?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Started Reignited Trilogy yesterday. I really like it so far. Spyro is so fun to control. The story started kind of abruptly for me though. I thought Spyro grew up with dragonflies, but he doesn't seem to know who Sparx is? Was that a different game?!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to to delving in further. Too bad it's probably going to be Crash in Smash or neither of them...

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Started Reignited Trilogy yesterday. I really like it so far. Spyro is so fun to control. The story started kind of abruptly for me though. I thought Spyro grew up with dragonflies, but he doesn't seem to know who Sparx is? Was that a different game?
That was Legend of Spyro, which was a rebooted continuity. Ps1 trilogy is a lot simpler story wise.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Apparently, the stars are all aligned for a Crash Bandicoot reveal some time in February.
WHOA!!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, seeing as F!Byleth has different idle animations and taunts, and overall isn't just a straight copy of M!Byleth, are we really sure they wouldn't go the extra mile to make Coco into an alt? It'd feel bleeding weird to either just settle with Fake and/or Japanese Crash, or nothing but palette swaps. It feels like Crash's situation would be different than some of the other DLC fighters, since he'd have bigger clout than everyone in that lineup so far.

I mean, considering how big Japanese influence was behind some of the series' design decisions, like jettisoning Tawna because she wasn't kawaii enough.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

On a related note, it seems that the cast for the first game is especially popular over there.

Apparently, the stars are all aligned for a Crash Bandicoot reveal some time in February.
WHOA!!
Assuming CGE hasn't tempted fate and that the Activision Pattern (patent pending) holds up for the rest of this year. It's a theory, after all.

It all depends on when we'll see that damned fifth Playstation console. Maybe around the time of the next GP?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If nothing happens at E3 or no news about any Crash/Spyro game show up by the end of the year, that's it, nothing makes sense anymore, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

In all seriousness, do you think we'll get a clear tease hint with an object and message at some point? Last time it was a pair of dice for CTR.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/12/04/crash-team-racing-remaster-teased-for-the-game-awards

We didn't get any of that for last year's VGAs, so one of the forthcoming events may be preceded by something like this. Keep an eye out...

Except it didn’t. It was for style-switching in DMC3, which was entirely coincidental with the date of the Smash presentation.
That's what I kept trying to tell people!

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think that was the point. The point was that "it wasn't", so there's always a good chance that the stars are pulling a prank and Crash isn't happening very soon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well there has to be someone left they can use to get people sold on the idea of the next pass. Rayman, Master Chief, Sora, I don't know. I can't see them start off with the likes of King Boo or a Pokémon.

The only advantage we'd get out of this is that no one's going to leak anything again, and we'll be back to the days of the 80s-early 90s, when news were scarce if you weren't part of a fan circle or subscribed to a magazine.

And in fairness to the Dante case, that was caused by one of the series' officials telling us to expect news. In this case, there's nothing to go on from but Activision's habits.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I mean, considering how big Japanese influence was behind some of the series' design decisions, like jettisoning Tawna because she wasn't kawaii enough.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

On a related note, it seems that the cast for the first game is especially popular over there.
Wow that Twitter post lines up with what Zembillas said years ago about Andy and Jason. IDK if they got past it, bit there was definitely some bad blood.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't mind people having their opinions and I can respect that, If you don't like Crash then that's fine I'm not forcing anyone to like him, Hell there's even some characters I like that I don't think should be in Smash and some that I don't like that do make sense.

But for some to say that he wasn't a big deal, Didn't make an impact in the video game landscape or treat him like a mediocre video game character is what drives me a little nuts.

Everyone there likes to bring up the rivalry between Nintendo Sega and Sony (Mario vs Sonic vs Crash) and even though everyone say he wasn't as big as the other 2 (Which I can agree with) we already have most of gaming's biggest icons already in Smash, There isn't that much "Star Power" left out there as the bar has been lowered and Crash is one of the biggest characters left that absolutely makes sense and would fit right in.

If Crash doesn't make sense then who does?
He was bigger than Sonic at one point though. If I'm correct, Sonic had a bit of a downfall during the time of Melee

SonicMario

Smash Master
He was bigger than Sonic at one point though. If I'm correct, Sonic had a bit of a downfall during the time of Melee
I wouldn't say downfall (Albeit Sega as a whole I guess could count with the failure of the Dreamcast against the powerhouse that was the PS2) for Sonic himself given Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and the first Sonic Advance certainly kept Sonic afloat just fine and he didn't have the baggage of Sonic 06 or to a lesser extent the Shadow the hedgehog game just yet. Both Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Advance 1 would in fact come to the Gamecube and GBA respectively just a month after Melee's release. Games responsible for turning any young nintendo gamers at the time (Including myself admittedly) into Sonic fans.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hey guys I know many of you here might be curious about the MandyCan situation with the Crash leak and I thought I might try to provide some more insight on it.

So obviously the big question is, has he been just deleting his tweets with incorrect info? I talked to him and helped him for over an hour today and he was fully compliant in trying to prove that he didn't delete any tweets. He replied and sent images of any outcomes far too quick for him to have time to edit any of them correctly. Unfortunately we couldn't find any definitive way to check that so if anyone actually knows how that can be proven please let me know. But although I'm not saying it's definitely true or anything like that, for me personally, I have quite a bit more faith that he might actually be legit. Again if anyone can help me find out how to prove no tweets were deleted, he says he's happy to do it to prove his legitimacy.

On top of that he completely doubled down and said there's no chance FP6 is not Crash which would be a weird thing to do as other fake leakers are usually a lot more vague but obviously he could just be doing all this to seem more legit in the meantime.

I definitely suggest to still stay sceptical until we have hard evidence but just wanted to shine some more light on this situation as there's been a lot of misinformation going around unfortunately
Idk part of me feel like this is a legitimate source but I'm going to hold those expectations until the minute we get the new character announced. If the source is accurate, then we have a reliable leaker

Anyone think if Crash gets in that Fake Crash will be an costume?
Should get Fake Crash AND Evil Crash. Would be good to show the Crash universe. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a skin from Crash of the Titans, a Coco skin, and Crunch skin

Waluigi :troll:

Forget my pessimism. I want to give of list a songs that I think will come with Crash. Eleven seems to be the general maximum (aside from the ****ton of songs that came with Terry.

N. Sanity Beach
Hog Wild
Heavy Machinery
Hang Eight
Diggin It
Rock It
The Time Twister
Toad Village
Future Frenzy
Crash 3 Final Boss
Crash Cove

Rock It is my personal favorite from the trilogy but I could also replace it with Dingodile's boss theme.
I'd add Dingodile's theme, MechaBandicoot, MAYBE something from Crash Bash, etc
I don't mind people having their opinions and I can respect that, If you don't like Crash then that's fine I'm not forcing anyone to like him, Hell there's even some characters I like that I don't think should be in Smash and some that I don't like that do make sense.

But for some to say that he wasn't a big deal, Didn't make an impact in the video game landscape or treat him like a mediocre video game character is what drives me a little nuts.

Everyone there likes to bring up the rivalry between Nintendo Sega and Sony (Mario vs Sonic vs Crash) and even though everyone say he wasn't as big as the other 2 (Which I can agree with) we already have most of gaming's biggest icons already in Smash, There isn't that much "Star Power" left out there as the bar has been lowered and Crash is one of the biggest characters left that absolutely makes sense and would fit right in.

Take it from me when I bashed the living hell out of Robin when he got revealed (and I am admitting this years later): it backfired badly and made me look like a fool. I wouldn't waste my time arguing with people who won't change their minds. Let them state their opinions and post in the "I was wrong" thread so we can laugh at them later.

So many possibilities with Smash. I've done Crash with various teams of Yoshi, DK, and Lucario for example. But to have Crash vs Sonic vs Mario? THAT alone is enough to get me to buy the whole DLC 2 pack regardless of who makes it.

Now if Crash can get revealed, I can finally start doing a Mario, Crash, and Sonic team up to win the Trios Tag Team Championships down the road lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, there are still some fan favorites available, although most fans keep getting distracted by their own stupid rules to seriously consider them. Whoever's next will break some sort of pre-conceived notion, and I have no idea who and what.

In the meantime, this gives us a general idea of how the team-up process would work if Crash gets in: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._super_smash_bros_ultimates_banjo-kazooie_dlc

Should get Fake Crash AND Evil Crash. Would be good to show the Crash universe. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a skin from Crash of the Titans, a Coco skin, and Crunch skin
Evil Crash already has a hard time getting in as a skin for Nitro-Fueled, let alone this. A spirit would be reasonable enough, though.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
...Is it bad that I feel more mascots/animal/platformer characters should make up the second pass? As much as FP 1 did for Ultimate, I don't know a single casual fan who can recognize anyone outside of Terry or Banjo.

I guess what I mean is, I feel like more characters that actually appeal to younger audiences make more sense to me than the likes of Doomguy or Scorpion? I know there are characters like Snake (technically was a gift), Bayonetta (I honestly still don't know how she got in) and Joker (personally loved by Sakurai himself), but Metal Gear is cheesy enough to the point where I'd barely consider it too bad for teens (well, the first few, twin snakes and onward had some strange stuff...). Bayonetta just doesn't become almost naked or cuss, which is easy to get away with. Plus, she's pretty much a Nintendo IP now? But it seems we've reached a point where the "no guns" stigma is just gone??? Surprised Falcon doesn't use his at this point lmao.) But these three have things that weren't too mature for a game marketed to children, like CQC, just...beating up people, and "anime character powers".

How exactly would they be able to advertise [those franchises] to kids/teens? Mortal Kombat and DOOM's saving grace is the goofiness of the older games, at most, but good luck hiding the newer releases away from audiences... Mortal Kombat has also had instances with no blood or true killing, so they also have that. I can't think of a way DOOM could be represented naturally without a moveset that ends up being a glorified Mii Gunner. (Though, some elements are in Smash through other characters, Corrin's running around with a "chainsaw sword", and JokerNetta have guns. I'm kind of rambling, honestly because I just don't feel right having a character who's known for killing whatever moves take on somebody like Mario or Wii Fit Trainer is all. But once again, it's contradictory, because Ridley and Corrin skewer people, Hero has attacks that are simply called "Kill" and "Superkill" in other languages and Joker's final smash is borderline one to one blood spewing, but censored.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean each of us have different tastes but idk what problem would bring games like DOOM or Mortal Kombat. I don't believe either Scorpion or Doomslayer will happen, but it doesn't matter what they do in their games when it comes to advertise Smash. If that was the case we shouldn't have Ridley to begin with or even Link if we decide to stretch things out

Honestly, I think that sometimes some people use that argument to gatekeep certain characters, usually the most 'realistic' ones or the ones with more violence in their original games.

The concept of killing is, I would say, super frequent among kids. At least the ones who plays videogames. Even in Mario games you could say that he frequently kills goombas and other creatures by jumping on them, but it's pictured in an innocent and cartoony way so Mario is a good man.

As I say it doesn't matter if Bayonetta kills multiple creatures in different and bizarre ways in her games, when someone plays Smash he's playing Smash, not Bayonetta or any other franchise with presence in the game.

About cartoony characters in general: maybe Sakurai will prove me wrong but I'm not expecting a lot of these kind of characters for upcoming DLC. Crash is probably the only third party with good chances to make it. I guess Geno too. And well, in any case, most of videogame characters are humans or have designs that resemble realistic people. Simply stadistics: if the majority of characters are human, most of the popular/requested will be humans.
Also, a good amount of cartoony characters are from Nintendo.

Lastly, not any cartoony character will be recognizable by casual public. That people won't recognize not only Hero, Joker or Byleth but they won't recognize Banjo as well, probably the same for Terry. Casual public in general recognize very few characters, so I honestly don't think that matters, also because most of these people won't buy DLC, which is more aimed to dedicated players and hardcore fans.
Based on my experience casual gamers don't really care about which characters are added to the game which is a bit ironic, because they usually enjoy all the characters and some end up being more open minded that a lot of supposedly hardcore fans. Of course. maybe some of them will have a character they want for Smash but generally you won't see that public going into speculation and caring much about that part of Smash.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Whether it be Challenger Pack 6, 7, 8, or all the way to 11, I strongly feel that Crash is a lock for Vol. 2 of the Fighters Pass. This timeline is the PERFECT opportunity for one of the main mascot trio from the 90s console wars to make it into Smash and make the clash of dreams a reality. Mario v. Sonic v. Crash v. Pacman. Out of all the character names speculated throughout Ultimate's DLC cycle, at this point in time I feel more confident that Crash is definitely making it in. :)

Top Bottom