• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't mind people having their opinions and I can respect that, If you don't like Crash then that's fine I'm not forcing anyone to like him, Hell there's even some characters I like that I don't think should be in Smash and some that I don't like that do make sense.

But for some to say that he wasn't a big deal, Didn't make an impact in the video game landscape or treat him like a mediocre video game character is what drives me a little nuts.

Everyone there likes to bring up the rivalry between Nintendo Sega and Sony (Mario vs Sonic vs Crash) and even though everyone say he wasn't as big as the other 2 (Which I can agree with) we already have most of gaming's biggest icons already in Smash, There isn't that much "Star Power" left out there as the bar has been lowered and Crash is one of the biggest characters left that absolutely makes sense and would fit right in.

If Crash doesn't make sense then who does?
Bandwagoner hater logic doesn't make one iota of sense, they'll bash any character that isn't the one that they, themselves specifically want, because they don't care about the general consensus. They'll die on their hill for silly reasons until they're forced to rage-quit. Just ignore them.

Take it from someone who had to witness "outdated cereal mascot" insults for Banjo.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't mind people having their opinions and I can respect that, If you don't like Crash then that's fine I'm not forcing anyone to like him, Hell there's even some characters I like that I don't think should be in Smash and some that I don't like that do make sense.

But for some to say that he wasn't a big deal, Didn't make an impact in the video game landscape or treat him like a mediocre video game character is what drives me a little nuts.

Everyone there likes to bring up the rivalry between Nintendo Sega and Sony (Mario vs Sonic vs Crash) and even though everyone say he wasn't as big as the other 2 (Which I can agree with) we already have most of gaming's biggest icons already in Smash, There isn't that much "Star Power" left out there as the bar has been lowered and Crash is one of the biggest characters left that absolutely makes sense and would fit right in.

I agree with every point you made, so yeah. However, there's little point in arguing with these people, because the process goes that they decide that they don't want Crash in the game, and then after that they come up with these paper thin arguments to try and justify to others why he shouldn't be in the game. In the end that means that even if you tear their arguments apart, they'll just keep going and going and going, and that usually ends up with the thread becoming toxic as hell. Take it from a Ridley fan, that's how these things tend to play out 90% of the time.

Honestly, I don't even think the Mario vs Sonic vs Crash thing even matters that much, because like I said when we discussed whether Crash and Spyro had to come together or not, Crash is big enough to easily stand on his own, he doesn't depend on other characters, so even if someone argues that the rivalry wasn't a thing back then, it's not really a dent in his chances or why people want him.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Bandwagoner hater logic doesn't make one iota of sense, they'll bash any character that isn't the one that they, themselves specifically want, because they don't care about the general consensus. They'll die on their hill for silly reasons until they're forced to rage-quit. Just ignore them.

Take it from someone who had to witness "outdated cereal mascot" insults for Banjo.
Oh believe me I was there through thick and thin campaging for Banjo-Kazooie.

But some of that mentality is so stubborn and stupid and doesn't make any sense.

I've noticed some younger gamers on there that don't view him as a big deal just because they weren't around his prime, Just because you weren't around to personally to see it for yourself doesn't change the fact that they still made an impact, I was lucky enough to start gaming in the late 90's during the N64/PS1 era to witness it, But that's like me saying Pac Man wasn't a big deal because I wasn't around the 80's to witness it in person, It doesn't take a genius to know that, I don't want to say Crash is on the same level as Pacman because he's not, But you get what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In addition, consider the following: major game console companies themselves progressively acknowledge that they need to cooperate in order to thrive nowadays. The Console Wars is looking more like the Console Unification, aside from Sony sticking on their hill, and even then they acknowledge crossplay sometimes.

Sticking with preschool arguments is becoming an outdated mindset, fast, and I don't see why they would factor into anything now. What it comes down to is people not bothering to study history.

That aside, any other spirit ideas?

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't like to visit the Newcomer Speculation thread because of similar reasons. Most people on there seem to have vastly different opinions that I don't personally agree with. Banjo with the cereal mascot insult, Ridley was still too big to get in Smash, K Rool is irrelevant, Crash is not worthy, etc. It's probably just me, but it seems like those people also tend to request characters from JRPGs and other Japanese-focused characters. I'm not saying their opinions are **** but my opinions and tastes seem to really differ from these people, especially in that thread. Doomguy, Crash, and Banjo are my most wanted (I would also put Rayman, Ridley, and Shovel Knight on there too) so I tend to like Western focused characters for the most part. When Sakurai is not putting in fan requests that get me hyped, he picks characters from series that he personally loves, which tend to be series I don't have any interest in or don't like (Persona, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, etc.). The first pass was a big dissapointment because of this (I still love Banjo and I am eternally grateful) and right now I need to see the first character of the second pass in order to see if I will regain confidence. (By the way I only feel this way for DLC, base game roster has characters that I really like: Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Incineroar).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is subjective, and there's usually a reason for a character to be added. We're going past the days "yo just sword is good enough" when moveset diversity is getting more emphasis to the point that counters can and will get ignored sometimes.

As the DLC cycle for this game moves onwards, it'll become increasingly hard to stick to Japanese properties, especially with Mii costumes and spirit events focusing on JP properties coming willy-nilly. :ultbanjokazooie: was taking baby steps, since a playable Western character is still very much a new thing for Smash. It's only a matter of time until the staff are forced to break their old habits.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
That is subjective, and there's usually a reason for a character to be added. We're going past the days "yo just sword is good enough" when moveset diversity is getting more emphasis to the point that counters can and will get ignored sometimes.

As the DLC cycle for this game moves onwards, it'll become increasingly hard to stick to Japanese properties, especially with Mii costumes and spirit events focusing on JP properties coming willy-nilly. :ultbanjokazooie: was taking baby steps, since a playable Western character is still very much a new thing for Smash. It's only a matter of time until the staff are forced to break their old habits.
Yeah it's definitely subjective but it's honestly how I feel. When it comes to characters I main and like to play as, they aren't Shulk, Hero, Joker, Bayonetta, or Fire Emblem (except Robin, I like Robin). I play Banjo, R.O.B, King Dedede, and Ridley the most, and I like to have fun with Wario, DK, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, Toon Link, Incineroar, Wii Fit Trainer, etc. I mostly like characters that are weird and/or aren't a normal looking human that punches and kicks or uses a weapon they whack people with. Doomguy is a human but would have really cool gunplay, something Smash doesn't have. Rayman would be limbless and be visually distinct because of it. And of course, Crash would be a wacky and cartoony fighter kind of like Banjo.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yo. Can you add me to the list of supporters? I also would love to Crash in Smash.
You're on there now. I'm not sure how up-to-date the supporters list is, but I'm willing to update it if need be.

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Add me to the support list as well! Crash is definitely a high want for me, even moreso fueled on by...well, Nitro Fueled! And hey, the three characters I wanted most (K. Rool, Incineroar, Banjo) all got in, maybe luck'll strike a fourth time!

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

Don't :ultdiddy: and :ultdarksamus: count as Non-Japanese characters too? According to smash wiki, at least.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I would also like to be on this list.
Not sure if I am on the list or not, but loving the Bandicoot as much as I do, I should be. SIGN ME UP!!
Add me to the support list as well! Crash is definitely a high want for me, even moreso fueled on by...well, Nitro Fueled! And hey, the three characters I wanted most (K. Rool, Incineroar, Banjo) all got in, maybe luck'll strike a fourth time!
Sure - you're on there now. I probably won't respond to all of these requests with a post, but if I see someone asking, I'll put them on there. (as long as I'm a mod, anyway - obviously, if I stop being a mod for whatever reason, I won't be able to do that)

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I requested to be on the list a while back and I don't see my name. No rush, just letting you know.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Saying Crash left no impact on the gaming landscape is just silly, you might as well be saying that the Playstation never took off. That's just being an annoying contrarian. Everybody knew about Crash, my dad liked Crash and he has a bum hand that cripples his ability to even play video games, You had to have seen the commercials at least once. It's rather pointless to argue with anyone that tries to argue otherwise.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
True but it should be a matter of time before iamshifty will be back about ryu
Still haven't heard anything yet. Honestly if I was him I wouldn't want to say anything else unless I was 100% sure. He's probably going to be really hesitant given what has happened so far. People are probably already being ****ty to him.

Good but like he mention the background of cuphead was black rather than white but at the same time that could be a beta and changed to black definatly would like to see a closeup of that cuphead leak thing to make sure the letters are identical or not
Right, it could have been adjusted later. As far as I can tell the C and the u look very similar, but the image quality is too poor to make out anything else.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Finally, I managed to defeat the Oxide ghosts. Now I'm ready for those developer times, whenever those'll be implemented.

Still haven't heard anything yet. Honestly if I was him I wouldn't want to say anything else unless I was 100% sure. He's probably going to be really hesitant given what has happened so far. People are probably already being ****ty to him.

Right, it could have been adjusted later. As far as I can tell the C and the u look very similar, but the image quality is too poor to make out anything else.
Wouldn't surprise me, people acted ****e towards Sabi on Twitter when she wasn't in liberty about talking in regards to the fifth character. Leakers are being treated like Cassandra nowadays, especially after we've seen how much Verge's sources fall into Sturgeon's Law. If people aren't willing to be patient, then they really don't deserve to be told leaks at all, and be made to wait for news like back in the 80s-early 90s.

Meanwhile, a user around here heard some rumors (not from /v/, in case you were going to ask) about there being a Direct next week.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Finally, I managed to defeat the Oxide ghosts. Now I'm ready for those developer times, whenever those'll be implemented.

Wouldn't surprise me, people acted ****e towards Sabi on Twitter when she wasn't in liberty about talking in regards to the fifth character. Leakers are being treated like Cassandra nowadays, especially after we've seen how much Verge's sources fall into Sturgeon's Law. If people aren't willing to be patient, then they really don't deserve to be told leaks at all, and be made to wait for news like back in the 80s-early 90s.

Meanwhile, a user around here heard some rumors (not from /v/, in case you were going to ask) about there being a Direct next week.
Fatmanonice is also thinking there will be one next week. But are Directs released when Nintendo financial releases are also released the same week?

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

Dang, I wish I had time to do Oxide ghosts!

Honestly, the only time I ever listen to leaks is when it's accidentally done by Nintendo or ESRB.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Just realized something. Know how we got Joker as Challenger Pack 1 at the start of the first Fighters Pass; Persona 5 being at the time a Playstation exclusive game? Fast forward to the start of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2, and they decide to follow that same criteria, except it being from a game that used to be a Playstation exclusive back in the day (and by back in the day I mean the N64 and PS1 era). Challenger Pack 6... Crash Bandicoot. AWWWW **** I did it guys! I CRACKED THE CODE! :denzel:

Humorously speaking but... really though... CP 6 could still end up being Crash.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I take it this thread wouldn't have any issues with Coco being a Crash ALT, right? I think it would be a reasonable thing to do since Crash and Coco play the same in the games.
If by Alt, you mean Echo, then yes. I would be slightly disappointed if it DIDN'T happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dang, I wish I had time to do Oxide ghosts!

Honestly, the only time I ever listen to leaks is when it's accidentally done by Nintendo or ESRB.
You're a lucky one, many folks in this forum can't resist bringing them up here, even every single useless fake leak. You're probably the smartest one in the fanbase.

Just realized something. Know how we got Joker as Challenger Pack 1 at the start of the first Fighters Pass; Persona 5 being at the time a Playstation exclusive game? Fast forward to the start of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2, and they decide to follow that same criteria, except it being from a game that used to be a Playstation exclusive back in the day (and by back in the day I mean the N64 and PS1 era). Challenger Pack 6... Crash Bandicoot. AWWWW **** I did it guys! I CRACKED THE CODE!:denzel:

Humorously speaking but... really though... CP 6 could still end up being Crash.
Even if it is a joke, it would have been a coincidence at best. Reminder that :ultcloud: still had to wait until after :ultryu: got reveal back in 4, so that pattern of yours wasn't born early enough to hold up from the start. :4pacman:

Besides, we got actual possible evidence and clues for Crash coming outside of that, like June being when important Crash news/releases usually happen.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

Arguing against those people is just not worth it. We have the right to wish for any danm character we want just as much as anyone who wants Geno, Waluigi, Goku or whatever. That thread is supposed to be about speculation, but unfortunately many think of it as a battlefield where they must compete for who is more ignorant and rude towards characters they don't want.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Arguing against those people is just not worth it. We have the right to wish for any danm character we want just as much as anyone who wants Geno, Waluigi, Goku or whatever. That thread is supposed to be about speculation, but unfortunately many think of it as a battlefield where they must compete for who is more ignorant and rude towards characters they don't want.
Yeah, that's a sadly common occurrence. There was a time when it was downright impossible to have a civil convo on the :ultbanjokazooie: thread without it eventually devolving into the Steve Vs. Banjo debate.

Sometimes the lashing isn't even about characters but users insulting each other.

But enough about that, time to post happy leak things.

These seem to be placeholder animations for some of the next skins.

She tries so hard, but…
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Some do it better, without trying.

One small step for Kong, one giant leap for koala-kind.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Whaddup. New user in the site and the only reason i made an account is to support my Bandicoot boy. I feel he has a real shot this time i would like to support him. Add me to the list

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Whaddup. New user in the site and the only reason i made an account is to support my Bandicoot boy. I feel he has a real shot this time i would like to support him. Add me to the list
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully, Crash does get into Smash Bros. Ultimate.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With the rumors of the general Direct happening relatively soon, Crash works as a general direct reveal or as an E3 reveal. Both make sense with the former as a way to buffer the massive disappointment that Byleth brought forth and E3 is fairly self explanitory given how iconic the character is. Either way, Crash would potentially be the most hyped 3rd party addition to Smash since Sonic in Brawl and Megaman in 4, if not surpassing them all.

Faso115

Smash Lord
June tends to be the best month for Crash stuff so i would bet he is being held back until E3. I don't know what to say about the MandyCan guy but i like him better than Verg and Sabi so *shrug*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just thought of a big-brain theory.

What if they're waiting for all of Nitro-Fueled's racers to get revealed before the spirit board is ready? I know it sounds unlikely, but since Crash is beloved in Japan even today...

As for the Direct, I'd really just expect the mysterious Wii U ports at most for new news, seeing how early we are in the year.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Bigger brain theory: To coincide with Crash release in Smash, 3 Nintendo characters are announced for CTRNF.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So something I really want to see represented through Crash's inclusion is the (trying to think of the right word for this) diversity of animation within his series. It's really what makes his series stand apart from the rest. Even by today's standards Crash's expressions and general animations aren't really seen among other protagonists.

Crash is REACTIVE. When he sees a boulder coming towards him he looks back at it in fear. When he slides on ice he looks concerned. He's not just standing there with a generic smile on his face. He knows things are out to kill him, and you can see the anxiety on his face as he runs around. Don't even get me started on his death animations. There are so MANY! He doesn't just fall over, he reacts specifically to what killed him. He's burnt to a crisp, frozen solid, sliced in half, it's ridiculous. Again, you just don't really see that anywhere else.

I'm sure Sakurai will make him very animated, but personally I hope he goes a step further to represent his home series. Make his appearance on the results screen be based upon what finally took him out. Have him be a pile of ashes, smashed flat, deflated like a balloon, have electric currents running through his body, etc. I would love that so much.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
So something I really want to see represented through Crash's inclusion is the (trying to think of the right word for this) diversity of animation within his series. It's really what makes his series stand apart from the rest. Even by today's standards Crash's expressions and general animations aren't really seen among other protagonists.

Crash is REACTIVE. When he sees a boulder coming towards him he looks back at it in fear. When he slides on ice he looks concerned. He's not just standing there with a generic smile on his face. He knows things are out to kill him, and you can see the anxiety on his face as he runs around. Don't even get me started on his death animations. There are so MANY! He doesn't just fall over, he reacts specifically to what killed him. He's burnt to a crisp, frozen solid, sliced in half, it's ridiculous. Again, you just don't really see that anywhere else.

I'm sure Sakurai will make him very animated, but personally I hope he goes a step further to represent his home series. Make his appearance on the results screen be based upon what finally took him out. Have him be a pile of ashes, smashed flat, deflated like a balloon, have electric currents running through his body, etc. I would love that so much.
I always picture Crash having as expressive of a face as Wario, Dedede, or Toon Link, while having the goofy cartoon-ish animations similar to Wario and Banjo. I really love that Wario's weak hurt animation has him act like a punching bag. It's amazingly stupid and fitting!

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I just got the red gem in Slippy Climb from Crash 1. My Lord I never felt so much anxiety in playing a level before lol

Top Bottom