• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

SonicMario

Smash Master
That does beg an interesting question. If Crash got in, do you think he'd come with any Nitro-Fueled content?
I definitely think there would at least be music from Nitro Fueled for certain. Another possibility is the Crash spirit boards uses Nitro Fueled artwork as well

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet
He's not backed down on Crash. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, the reveal for Fighter 6 can’t come soon enough. I do hope it is Crash.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Maybe Spyro can come in the next Smash game. I mean, butchered games or not, he is still welcome into Smash anytime, right?
Saying he'd be unwelcome is going a bit far, but usually you gotta have at least some presence in Japan in order to make it into Smash, and because the original Spyro ports were so busted, the series ultimately had little to no impact there (IIRC sales were below even 100k, and the third game was never ported as a result). I don't know how Reignited has done in Japan, but hopefully it's the start of the series building some presence there, if it is then hopefully Spyro will have a real shot in the next Smash.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
He's not backed down on Crash. Everything's coming up Milhouse!
I'm hestitant to really believe this guy, but at the very least it's something worth keeping in mind as he at least has some record to back up his claims, even if it might just be the result of throwing stuff at the wall and being lucky that it stuck. Either way, I think Crash stands a great chance for the second Pass, if not as #6 then probably later down the line. I always considered him just a bit out of reach for the first Pass, but I think the situation is lined up much better for him now.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Saying he'd be unwelcome is going a bit far, but usually you gotta have at least some presence in Japan in order to make it into Smash, and because the original Spyro ports were so busted, the series ultimately had little to no impact there (IIRC sales were below even 100k, and the third game was never ported as a result). I don't know how Reignited has done in Japan, but hopefully it's the start of the series building some presence there, if it is then hopefully Spyro will have a real shot in the next Smash.

I'm hestitant to really believe this guy, but at the very least it's something worth keeping in mind as he at least has some record to back up his claims, even if it might just be the result of throwing stuff at the wall and being lucky that it stuck. Either way, I think Crash stands a great chance for the second Pass, if not as #6 then probably later down the line. I always considered him just a bit out of reach for the first Pass, but I think the situation is lined up much better for him now.
He did say that Crash is coming IMMEDIATELY after the First Pass.
Perhaps a Nintendo Direct? To bring Dante back up, the DMC developer said to mark January 30th on our calendar. Not saying that's Dante in Smash; I got fooled with that once. But it seems likely that it coincide with a Nintendo Direct.
The 30th is pretty "immediately" after Byleth on the 28th.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He did say that Crash is coming IMMEDIATELY after the First Pass.
Perhaps a Nintendo Direct? To bring Dante back up, the DMC developer said to mark January 30th on our calendar. Not saying that's Dante in Smash; I got fooled with that once. But it seems likely that it coincide with a Nintendo Direct.
The 30th is pretty "immediately" after Byleth on the 28th.
News for other games can come coincidentally on the same day as Smash news, so obviously Dante news are only for DMC3 and/or a possible DMC4 port.

Anyway, there generally is a general Direct not too long after a Pokémon one, so I would expect something on the 30th after Byleth's release, at the very least.

Do you think the Switch version of Nitro Fueled would get bonus costumes if Crash made it into smash?
Unsure, there would need to be a Mario-themed GP for that to happen, and even then it'd have to be saved at the very end of NF support, since the rest of the Crash cast will be completely exhausted by that point.

On the other hand, there could be a GoTY edition at some point, so that could be used as a pack-in bonus for a limited edition for that.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Honestly didn't expect him to double down on Crash. That is pretty abnormal for many “Twitter leakers”.

Only problem is that if he is right, we likely have to wait until E3.

Troykv

Smash Master
Megamix is such a wacky character, and I love it hahaha!

Wait, there are news about Crash?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a positive note to try and avoid any more forum opera drama:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...akurai_played_242_playstation_games_last_year

He just had to have played the PS4 Crash releases and Nitro-Fueled at some point. Goddamn. :crazy:

Honestly didn't expect him to double down on Crash. That is pretty abnormal for many “Twitter leakers”.

Only problem is that if he is right, we likely have to wait until E3.
At least we got plenty of monthly content in Nitro-Fueled to keep us busy until Summer. Most supporters could only dream of having that kind of distraction.

Also, he still beats looking at /v/.

Speaking of leaks, we just got our second fake leak in a long while for N-F...

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been following this thread for quite a while now since Crash is one of my most wanted characters but didn't feel the need to post until now. I currently don't have much confidence in the second pass in general since Banjo was the only hype pick for me before and I personally think the first pass ended on one of the worst choices for a fighter (I'm not angry at FE fans I just think other franchises are starving for characters in terms of first parties). Regardless, I hope Crash (and Doomguy) will make it in and if this MandyCan guy is correct, the second pass will start on a VERY high note.

Edit: If it's alright, I would like to be put on the supporters' list, please.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Although my second most wanted Activision character (first one is extremely unlikely), I'd like to be added to the supporter list please.

N-Sane Trilogy is a fun game that is also brutal to me!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I’ll try and lower my expectations, but if FP6 really is Crash, it would actually make perfect sense due to previous patterns. Smash cycles have always started with a bang ever since Brawl.

Brawl started with Snake.
Smash 4 started with Mega Man
Smash 4 DLC started with Mewtwos return
Ultimate started with Everyone is Here/Ridley
Ultimate DLC Wave 1 started with Joker
And if the leak really is true, Wave 2 would start with Crash.

They got to move units for the pass after all. It would make perfect sense if Crash opened up the pass.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I never want to jump the gun too early on saying MandyCanNot's claim is.

But let's say that Crash is indeed next. I wonder just how long a wait that'll be before he's revealed. I think the absolute earliest could be if there's a direct in March. It will have been 2 years since not just Ultimate was revealed, but also the announcement of the N. Sane Trilogy getting ported to the Switch.

But I could also see the wait for any new Smash characters saved for as far as E3. Because Nintendo just loves to keep us thirsty until big moments. From when Ultimate was still a working title where we barely knew anything until the official reveal at E3, and the reveal of Joker at the Game Awards only for us to wait all the way until April til' we knew anything about him other then what the back of his model looks like. So even if Crash is next, we might be in for an agonizing wait just to see if it's true.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing for sure is that there's a lot of mysteries surrounding Crash right now: this leaker claim, the DriverWhoAmI/DriverWhoCouldIBe in the Nitro-Fueled datamine, that new mask in the Time To Play PS4 commercial, the complete lack of concrete details for his next game's launch, said game's rumored leaks for its in-game elements...

At least we got Nitro-Fueled keeping us busy while all the pieces of this puzzle slowly come together.

kCxWGSH.gif

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Haven't posted here in awhile, but y'all know I'm still a huge Crash supporter! This is such an exciting time for us! We'll have to see how this leak works out. Personally I think it's best to remain cautiously optimistic.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Idk if that guy is really legit when he says Crash is FP6 but if he's actually true that would be so cool.
In any case I believe that Crash has actually a really good shot for being in the second pass. Being honest I think he's the only platformer character that has realistic chances to be announced.

I mean, he's still really popular, a ton of people recognizes him, he's a videogame icon, one of the mascots if not the main one of the PSOne era... I think Crash has everything to be in Smash, plus moveset potential of course. You can even throw some gimmicks involving Wumpa fruits or with the Bazooka he uses in Crash Bandicoot Warped.
He's not a lock, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's in. I'm hoping he's in, btw. He's part of my childhood!

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh, so that is what is happening.

I can't believe him but I'm intrigued anyway.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Uh... who is this MandyCan guy and why should we believe him?

Like I want Crash as much as the next person, but based on this guy's Twitter I get the feeling he just had his account private, wrote up a bunch of random predictions over the past few months, and then deleted all the ones that were inaccurate. Not saying Crash won't happen but I'm taking whatever this guy says with a molecule of salt.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
One thing for sure is that there's a lot of mysteries surrounding Crash right now: this leaker claim, the DriverWhoAmI/DriverWhoCouldIBe in the Nitro-Fueled datamine, that new mask in the Time To Play PS4 commercial, the complete lack of concrete details for his next game's launch, said game's rumored leaks for its in-game elements...

At least we got Nitro-Fueled keeping us busy while all the pieces of this puzzle slowly come together.

Honesty this is probably beenox just messing with us. Dataminers found an Emperor Velo sticker with other space themed stickers, which could be the mysterious datamined character. Beenox KNOWS people datamines the game every month after all, and they just want to have fun with it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, if Crash is the next character, Twitter guy could be a coincidence. There are other factors to consider, like the fact that Acti purposely skipped the VGAs and we may not hear about the next Crash game until the very end of Nitro-Fueled's support. Him announced for Smash at E3 would take insane amounts of planning and would nicely align with what I've said.

Also, for the last time, Ryu is only being brought up often because of a fake 5Chan leak that is supposed to be dead right now.

Honesty this is probably beenox just messing with us. Dataminers found an Emperor Velo sticker with other space themed stickers, which could be the mysterious datamined character. Beenox KNOWS people datamines the game every month after all, and they just want to have fun with it.
Of course they are, we got a "Your mama" joke in here.

I'm not talking about DriverJoe though, but the other codenamed character I've mentioned, DriverWhoCouldIBe/DriverWhoAmI, which was also in the last GP's datamine (in which Megamix wasn't hidden at all, unlike Velo). That one seems to be a really big secret if Velo's getting in this soon.

Also, to anyone thinking Joe Blow is getting in, let's not kid ourselves. Even the Chimera would get in over that.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
im not holding my breath until i know how reliable that person is

besides theres one road block and thats ryu hayabusa could be FP6

theres a few crediable people pointing toward him most particually one who got marx as a boss and piranha plant correct
Yea, that's IamShifty, and just to clarify he previously said that Ryu would be #4 and then was reasonably certain he'd be #5. I haven't seen him say anything about Ryu since Byleth's reveal.

Ryu could still be coming, but what's becoming clear is that leakers often hear about certain characters while having no clear idea of when they will arrive. They assume when they hear a name that they're next, but that isn't always the case.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Do we know if any other insiders have heard of this person and what their thoughts on them are? Their first post on Twitter was last October (unless there were deleted ones before) but he also said he's been doing things privately before.

Edit: Wait I'm dumb. This guy joined Twitter in October.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I suspect that Crash and Spyro would be a both-or-neither deal.

They're tied together in a way unlike any other series in gaming, with a closely knit bond and a parallel history spanning almost 25 years. As of writing this post, Crash and Spyro have never appeared in an official crossover with anyone except each other.

Unless you live in Japan, comparing between Crash and Spyro is inevitable. If Crash makes it into Smash and Spyro doesn't, that's not going to be a good look for Spyro. I doubt Activision will want one half of their current family gaming portfolio to be seen as objectively inferior to the other.

So that's why, if Nintendo came knocking on Activision's door asking for Crash, their response would likely be "Represent Spyro in equal capacity, or you can't have Crash." That would certainly explain why the second Fighters Pass has that additional sixth pack.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why I haven't posted in here earlier, but I would love to see Crash Bandicoot in Smash. It would be amazing to see him fighting other platforming mascots like Mario, Sonic, and even Banjo. Plus, I grew up with the original games, the racing games, Wrath of Cortex, and Twinsanity. With the remakes of the original trilogy and Crash Team Racing, he would be an easy character to market for today's audience. I feel like Crash would bring a lot of personality and spunk to Smash as well, as there are a handful characters that are as goofy and unhinged in Smash as he is, such as Wario and King K. Rool. There could also be some creative liberties with his moveset, like his down B dropping a TNT crate, his side B rushing in while riding on Pura or Polar, or his up B being the spinning jump upgrade from Crash 3. Sign me up for the supporters list please!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I suspect that Crash and Spyro would be a both-or-neither deal.

They're tied together in a way unlike any other series in gaming, with a closely knit bond and a parallel history spanning almost 25 years. As of writing this post, Crash and Spyro have never appeared in an official crossover with anyone except each other.

Unless you live in Japan, comparing between Crash and Spyro is inevitable. If Crash makes it into Smash and Spyro doesn't, that's not going to be a good look for Spyro. I doubt Activision will want one half of their current family gaming portfolio to be seen as objectively inferior to the other.

So that's why, if Nintendo came knocking on Activision's door asking for Crash, their response would likely be "Represent Spyro in equal capacity, or you can't have Crash." That would certainly explain why the second Fighters Pass has that additional sixth pack.
I see this argument that Crash and Spyro have to come together quite often, but I heavily disagree. I love both series, but it's not like they're on equal footing, it's more like a big brother and little brother relationship, with Crash absolutely being the big brother. When we're talking about PS1 classics, Crash is the very first name on a lot of people's minds, it's very easy for that series to be in the conversation on its own, where as it's rare for Spyro to be in the conversation without Crash being mentioned first. That's not to downplay Spyro's success, but Crash's legacy includes everything that Spyro's does and more, he can easily stand on his own in Smash.

Furthermore, Activision can't just run the rule over Nintendo, if Nintendo just want Crash, then that's that, if Activision were to lay down demands like you describe, I imagine Nintendo would just scrap Crash and look elsewhere, they're not exactly in a desperate situation. For the record I'm pretty sure Activision would be one of the studios that would happily accept just having anything in Smash, Crash getting into Smash would be a huge business opportunity for them as it'd be a big boost in the already strong momentum the series is enjoying at the moment.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally, I think Sak has enough clout to determine whether or not just Crash alone or both him and Spyro must get in. That's what it all comes down to.

As far as we know, he hasn't outright turned down a third-party character yet, just passed them over for unknown reasons (if it's not practicality), or simply because trying to do them is best saved for later (e.g. Tekken character). Plus no company so far has forced their most frequently-used one onto him from the onset either, not even Capcom. :ultsnake: alone was done as a favor for Kojima, after all. Even :ultpacman: was done simply because Miyamoto requested so.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I see this argument that Crash and Spyro have to come together quite often, but I heavily disagree. I love both series, but it's not like they're on equal footing, it's more like a big brother and little brother relationship, with Crash absolutely being the big brother. When we're talking about PS1 classics, Crash is the very first name on a lot of people's minds, it's very easy for that series to be in the conversation on its own, where as it's rare for Spyro to be in the conversation without Crash being mentioned first. That's not to downplay Spyro's success, but Crash's legacy includes everything that Spyro's does and more, he can easily stand on his own in Smash.

Furthermore, Activision can't just run the rule over Nintendo, if Nintendo want Crash, then that's who they want, if Activision were to lay down demands like you describe, I imagine Nintendo would just scrap Crash and look elsewhere, they have no reason to be so desperate. For the record I'm pretty sure Activision would be one of the studios that would happily accept just having anything in Smash, Crash getting into Smash would be a huge business opportunity for them as it'd be a big boost in the already strong momentum the series is enjoying at the moment.
(I said pretty much the same thing last summer after E3, So I dug it out of my archives and posted it again Instead of retyping it.)

I'm a fan of Spyro too and would be cool with him in Smash... But not before Crash Bandicoot.

Let's be honest while both were the 1-2 punch platforming mascots on the Playstation during that era, Crash Bandicoot was and still is the bigger name of the 2, Hell Crash got spinoffs in the form of a Kart racer and Party game outside of the original trilogy which says a lot about the brand power of the franchise at the time something that Spyro never got despite the franchise's success also, (Spyro appearing as a guest character in Crash Bandicoot's universe via Nitro Fueled further cements that too.)

Also just like many have mentioned before Crash Bandicoot is one of the few western IP's that actually was popular and caught on in Japan/East, Unfortunately the same can't be said for our purple dragon friend.

Let's not forget that Crash Bandicoot debuted on the Playstation first back in 1996 and the trilogy wrapped up with "Warped" in 1998 the same year Spyro was just barely about to make his debut.

Also because of their origins and ties with Universal at the time Spyro's demo can also be unlocked in "Warped's" Menu so in a way Crash Bandicoot helped introduce Spyro the Dragon to many young gamers for the first time too.

It would be great to get both into Super Smash Bros Ultimate, But chances are it's gonna be Crash first, But that can only mean good things for Spyro in the future as that's his best shot of making the roster that way.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea, that's IamShifty, and just to clarify he previously said that Ryu would be #4 and then was reasonably certain he'd be #5. I haven't seen him say anything about Ryu since Byleth's reveal.

Ryu could still be coming, but what's becoming clear is that leakers often hear about certain characters while having no clear idea of when they will arrive. They assume when they hear a name that they're next, but that isn't always the case.

True but it should be a matter of time before iamshifty will be back about ryu

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Spyro is basically Ridley 2.0. The difference is that he's a third party character, and while he has some support for Smash in the west I doubt it's enough to make him being in Smash.
At best I could see Spyro being announced as a Mii Costume alongside Crash.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Spyro is basically Ridley 2.0. The difference is that he's a third party character, and while he has some support for Smash in the west I doubt it's enough to make him being in Smash.
At best I could see Spyro being announced as a Mii Costume alongside Crash.
I could also potentially see Spyro being a part of Crash's spirit board despite not originating from Crash's series (Or Spyro getting his own spirit event ala Resident Evil after Crash has already gotten in). Probably represented by a small purple Charizard

Top Bottom