• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
So, if our boy Crash gets into Ultimate, what stages would you like to see representing his franchise? Let's say you could only pick one.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So, if our boy Crash gets into Ultimate, what stages would you like to see representing his franchise? Let's say you could only pick one.
Mine would be the Time Twister with it’s gimmick being either teleporting the fighters to other times or summoning the boss characters to attack them.

Seriously, just imagine Cortex’s Blaster from Crash 1 or N Gin’s lasers and rockets from Crash 2 in a Smash stage.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Anyone ever heard of that canceled Twinsanity sequel where Cortex traps Crash in a TV device, and there's 25 levels spanning across different shows? What if that comes into fruition, but with 30 main levels, 6 bosses (so 5 levels per area before the boss) and 5 super hard secret levels?
I loved Twinsanity but that idea sounds so generic and typical Saturday morning cartoony. Like they didn't have much of a cohesive idea or something, so they'd just fall back on pop culture refs from that era.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If Crash Bandicoot some how doesn't make it into Super Smash Bros via DLC then the best we can hope for is if Sony makes a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 for the Playstation 5 as a consolation prize which would actually push me more to get a PS5, But the chances of that happening are kind of low.

As a hardcore Super Smash Bros player, I actually was pretty pumped for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale back then and it would of have been awesome to see Crash and Spyro going at it in the rivalry intro cinematic.

Here's hoping for a "Round 2"

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I saw saw that leak on Blocked Content’s channel and he tried to spin it as if it meant Crash had a chance of making it into Smash with no evidence whatsover.

Stop giving me hope dammit.
That render is clearly just related to the Time to Play campaign that had a spiffier Crash model, nothing more.
If Crash Bandicoot some how doesn't make it into Super Smash Bros via DLC then the best we can hope for is if Sony makes a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 for the Playstation 5 as a consolation prize which would actually push me more to get a PS5, But the chances of that happening are kind of low.

As a hardcore Super Smash Bros player, I actually was pretty pumped for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale back then and it would of have been awesome to see Crash and Spyro going at it in the rivalry intro cinematic.

Might as well add him to Brawlhala while you're at it I suppose...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Only YouTube channel I find worth watching is Papagenos tbh

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Only YouTube channel I find worth watching is Papagenos tbh
Yea I fell out with Blocked Content when they started focusing on "leaks" which were mostly just rumors and hoaxes getting too much attention. I'm not hating on them but I realized I only cared about their fan codecs.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So the VGA nominees have been revealed and CTR has been nominated for Racing Game of the Year. Be sure to vote for CTR! Also, Smash is nominated for Game of the Year and Best Fighting Game, so vote for that, too!
https://www.google.com/search?q=TGA+vote
Edit: You can vote for each category once per day.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Yeah, as much as I joke aobut it, PSASBR is a solid concept that just needed more focus and a bigger budget. It's kinda sad that of all the 3rd parties they got, only one I would call a gaming Icon (Heihachi). There was no Crash, no Spyro, no Lara Croft, no Cloud, Raiden instead of Snake (not a bad choice exactly, but it felt promotional) and DMCDMC Dante (Definitely bad and definitely promotional)

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
So I’ve been playing a lot of Crash racing. It’s a great game, and I’ve played crash bandicoot since I was a kid. First game was the second one.

I’ve always struggled to see him in smash and yet I want him. Just not sure how he’d work! Anyone want to give me any ideas?

Garuda

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Smash devs would have to take some creative liberties to expand on his moveset. At his core, you have the spin attack, slide, and belly flop. I think the idea would be to make his movements cartoony but not too over-the-top. I can imagine him throwing exaggerated uppercuts or throwing crates like in Crash Bash.

Simple ideas would be his jetpack for up+B and something involving the Wumpa Bazooka (maybe down+B, though it might not feel as intuitive). I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I really wouldn't mind if his side+B is just his spin attack but angled a bit. It would feel closer to how he plays in the original games. If he can jump, crawl, or spin upon finishing his slide attack (probably his dash attack, ftilt, or dtilt), that'd be an added bonus. S+ grade if jumping after sliding or crouching results in a higher jump.

All in all, I think his gameplay should focus on simple moves that benefit from quick, precise timing.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I’ve been playing a lot of Crash racing. It’s a great game, and I’ve played crash bandicoot since I was a kid. First game was the second one.

I’ve always struggled to see him in smash and yet I want him. Just not sure how he’d work! Anyone want to give me any ideas?
Wile Crash's base moveset wouldn't have too much going, he could easily include game world elements in his moveset. For example, using a wodden sping box for his recovery that works in a similar manner to Pac-Man's Mappy trampoline.

But if we're going for gimmicks I've got two in mind.

1. Aku Aku- Certain actions Crash can do summon a crate for him to break, giving him Aku Aku to act as a single hit of super armor.
2. Wumpa Fruit- Taking inspiration from how they work in CTR, Crash could do certain actions to gain up to 10 Wumpas and with them his specials are powered up (Bazooka fires faster for example) but if hit, he'll loose some fruit.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I do! I've been making some illustrations for potential moves. Feel free to check them out:
Jab:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...itro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/post-23621124

Up Tilt:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...itro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/post-21751553

Forward Tilt:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...itro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/post-22226859

Up Smash:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...itro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/post-23517542

Yeah, the Smash devs would have to take some creative liberties to expand on his moveset. At his core, you have the spin attack, slide, and belly flop. I think the idea would be to make his movements cartoony but not too over-the-top. I can imagine him throwing exaggerated uppercuts or throwing crates like in Crash Bash.

Simple ideas would be his jetpack for up+B and something involving the Wumpa Bazooka (maybe down+B, though it might not feel as intuitive). I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I really wouldn't mind if his side+B is just his spin attack but angled a bit. It would feel closer to how he plays in the original games. If he can jump, crawl, or spin upon finishing his slide attack (probably his dash attack, ftilt, or dtilt), that'd be an added bonus. S+ grade if jumping after sliding or crouching results in a higher jump.

All in all, I think his gameplay should focus on simple moves that benefit from quick, precise timing.
Jetpack as his Up B?!? AUTOMATIC LIKE!

Garuda

Smash Ace
Wumpa Fruit- Taking inspiration from how they work in CTR, Crash could do certain actions to gain up to 10 Wumpas and with them his specials are powered up (Bazooka fires faster for example) but if hit, he'll loose some fruit.
I think this is the key to attracting players who otherwise don't see his appeal. The idea of powered-up special attacks sounds awesome. I can see his spin attack being enhanced just like in Warped, improving his horizontal recovery.

EDIT: Oh god, if he can place TNTs, they'd become Nitro crates. I love this idea.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
No, I just thought it’d be a cool idea to do a team battle with Crash helping the heroes agains the villains. Which Crash Bash moment were you referring to?
Heroes vs Villains (Crash, Coco, Tiny, Dingodile Vs Cortex, N. Brio, Koala, Rilla Roo)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Crash has a lot of potential from his core moveset and elements from his games.

For his normals, we could get some inspiration from his titans/mutants era for his jabs, tilts and smash attacks. Dash attack could be his slide attack and it could have an unique property on it where you can actually jump out of it or use neutral b (spin) while moving with it, like in Crash 2 and 3.

His aerials are the most tricky ones to think about. Maybe we could get a bit creative here and use his yo-yo from his idle animations has his fair or bair and as his nair in a similar fashion to cloud's. Upair could be a standard kick like Mario's and Dair could be a standard spiking move, I suppose.

As for his specials, here's my take:

Neutral B: Spin attack. Press it once and crash will do a normal and kick spin attack, like in his games. It is a strong kill move with good GTFO potential. However, if you press it repeatedly it would act like the Crash 3 upgraded version: Crash would continue spinning. It would have the drawnback of having far less knockback in this state, not being able to kill until high %s, but it would grant aerial momentum, being a viable recovery move. Also, as mentioned before, it can be used during dash attack.

Up B: Up Arrow Crate. Crash would bounce off a breakable up arrow crate. This would fit very well in Crash's moveset as a recovery move because it would greatly resemble the flow in later levels in Crash 3, where you can bounce off crates and combine it with the upgraded spin to get maximum jumping distance. The crate will fall below after up b is used. If it falls into the ground, it will break and release a few wumpa fruits that would grant very low dmg healing if grabbed.

Down B: Belly flop. Crash would use his classic belly flop move as his down b. If used in the air, Crash would fall kickly into the ground and spike everyone the hitboxes catches, and when he hits the ground everyone victim caught on it would suffer a high knockback upwards. If used in the ground, it would be similar do Yoshi's down B but the animation would play like the upgraded Belly Flop from Crash 3: everyone close to it would suffer a small knockback in order to be set to be hit by the spiking hitbox when Crash is falling, and the suffer and ever greater knockack than the aerial version when Crash hits the ground.

Side B: Wumpa Bazooka. Crash would aim and shoot with the Wumpa Bazooka in a somewhat controlable direction from the player after the side b input. Aiming it would be similar to, let's say, a Yoshi egg throw. If the Wumpa hits, it would cause low-mid knockback and actually paint them in purple wumpa fruit juice, which would act similarly to Inkling's paint abilities: whoever has been painted with wumpa juice would take more dmg and knockback than usual from other moves until it wears off.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yea he's been hitting the gym while waiting for that invite LMAO
He Literally is, My personal favorite from the N.Sane Trilogy advertisements.

Hopefully he was not just getting ready for his big comeback, But also his Super Smash Bros debut.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Crash gets in, which I am almost certain he will before DLC is over, I hope that they don't overlook the titles after the Naughty Dog trilogy music wise.
Twinsanity's soundtrack is the greatest of all Crash games. Yes, ALL of them.
I honestly have no idea how it scored lower than Wrath of Cortex on Metacritic. It was by no means a bad game.

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Gday mates, something which may tickle your fancy:

Yes, some of us Aussies do speak like this! No worries, fair dinkum, mate, footy, rapt all pretty commonly used.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't think it was mentioned here before, But here is Sony's recent ad promoting the Playstation brand and it's really great to see my boy Crash Bandicoot not only be back via N.Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled, But seeing him pushed to the forefront in PlayStation advertisements just like back in the late 90's and early 2000's on the Original Playstation.

Man do I love seeing that classic Crash Bandicoot design updated in modern CGI.

(00:11 second mark and the right side at the end of the video)

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I'm honestly hoping for Crash to make it in, maybe not as Fighter 5, but at least somewhere down the road since More DLC was confirmed.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Crash would be a very good inclusion to Smash, he would fit in perfectly, and he would be very fun to play. I've only played the remastered trilogy on the Switch, but his games are amazing.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Full Grand Prix Roadmap

Holy crap Rilla Roo looks terrifying.

I'm glad Yaya Panda turned out alright; hoping she gets another VA that isn't just Coco/Nina/Pasadena again.

Those new skins might be come of my favorite. I'm definitely gonna go for sweater Polar.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If Crash gets in, which I am almost certain he will before DLC is over, I hope that they don't overlook the titles after the Naughty Dog trilogy music wise.
Twinsanity's soundtrack is the greatest of all Crash games. Yes, ALL of them.
I honestly have no idea how it scored lower than Wrath of Cortex on Metacritic. It was by no means a bad game.
Yea, I personally adored Twinsanity and as far as I cared it was the last good Crash game til recently. WoC got too stale and played it way too safe; Twinsanity was different, not repetitive, surprisingly funny and had good ideas, plus the fan service was great.

Looking back on it though, not even by today's standards but 2007's standards, I understand completely why it got bad scores. It's unfinished, glitchy and sometimes the camera plus invisible hazards take their toll. The game was rushed ("It should've been 2 new dimensions but we....ran out of time"), Crash was somewhat empty-headed, some puzzles and sections could become unplayable, the game crashed on the ps2 slim and lacked polish. Crap like that will destroy any game's rep, like handing in an essay with spelling errors and missing paragraphs.

If it had more polish people would've been much more kind to it.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
You guys think we could get a new Crash game reveal at The Game Awards? Considering how they revealed Nitro-Fueled there last year I think there's a decent chance it could happen.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You guys think we could get a new Crash game reveal at The Game Awards? Considering how they revealed Nitro-Fueled there last year I think there's a decent chance it could happen.
It definitely seems like a possibility in my eyes; it seems like the team behind the N. Sane Trilogy is probably working on something new, since I doubt they'd create one brand new level for Crash 3 (Future Tense) and then leave it at that.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Whenever I look at Rilla’s new design, I can’t stop unseeing Skeet from Jimmy Neutron.

Top Bottom