• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: So, something I stumbled upon recently.

You know the rocket kart you can get through the Grand Prix? It's actually from Nitro Kart 2, which means that they actually went through the effort of learning about that game's content. Knock on bamboo...

God I want Ms. Pac-Man SOOOOO BAAAADDDD
I feel like that one's a pipe dream by default, seeing how Bamco is content with just re-releasing her game, since they didn't make her.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Edit: So, something I stumbled upon recently.

You know the rocket kart you can get through the Grand Prix? It's actually from Nitro Kart 2, which means that they actually went through the effort of learning about that game's content. Knock on bamboo...
Speaking of which, I've been wondering something... if Yaya DOES get added to NF, who should voice her? Personally, I'm leaning towards Janice Kawaye. But if not her, then Stephanie Sheh (since she's already voicing Megumi).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of which, I've been wondering something... if Yaya DOES get added to NF, who should voice her? Personally, I'm leaning towards Janice Kawaye. But if not her, then Stephanie Sheh (since she's already voicing Megumi).
Maybe even Debbi Derryberry, to allude to the fact that Yaya and Coco are friends as far as CNK2's backstory is concerned.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
It blows my mind when people say things like "we don't need more platformer mascots"

My dudes... Smash is a PLATFORM fighter! It's only appropriate we get more platforming characters!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It blows my mind when people say things like "we don't need more platformer mascots"

My dudes... Smash is a PLATFORM fighter! It's only appropriate we get more platforming characters!
Do people say that nowadays? I could understand why that was said when Smash 4 came out, considering that the only third party characters in that game (:4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:) fit that description and people were acting like cartoony platforming mascots were the only third party characters that could "fit" into Smash Bros. I'd fine it hard to understand if people still considered that to be an issue when we've gotten characters like Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, etc.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Getting close to Motorsport Tawna, I could almost taste it. At least I finally got the Sharpshooter achievement out of the way, so that'll help.

Do people say that nowadays? I could understand why that was said when Smash 4 came out, considering that the only third party characters in that game (:4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:) fit that description and people were acting like cartoony platforming mascots were the only third party characters that could "fit" into Smash Bros. I'd fine it hard to understand if people still considered that to be an issue when we've gotten characters like Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, etc.
I certainly didn't hear that hear at all. I've heard all sorts of nonsensical things up until this very second, but nobody didn't seem to not want another platforming character.

I'm not sure what venues THK ventured into to hear that, but it's unexpected.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Crash could also have a very interesting move set as well. I know at surface level ppl might think all he can do is jump & spin, but Sakurai can churn out a very awesome moveset for him.
This is True, I mean look what he did with Pac-Man, Crash could have a very fun and unique Moveset

Anyone thinks the whole purple and orange joycons kinda a big stretch?
Man, I believe in the Pancake theory and thats an even bigger stretch.

Its more or less one of the reasons why I was disappointed with Smash 4's DLC lineup, 3 Veterans, 3 newcomers, and another FE character who was Shilled into the game. None of which were platformer characters, I mean, I got my Wish with Banjo this time around but It'd be so cool to see Crash Bandicoot join the fray, hes iconic enough and fits extremely well with the other cast of characters like Banjo does.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If we can happen to have two JRPG newcomers in both sets of Smash DLC so far, it won't be too odd to have two platformer characters!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Crash could also have a very interesting move set as well. I know at surface level ppl might think all he can do is jump & spin, but Sakurai can churn out a very awesome moveset for him.
A punch like Mario's original forward Smash from Smash 64 could be classic and fitting, but Crash's forward Smash revolving around whacking a foe with a platform could be really intriguing.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Crash is really becoming one of the most spoken contenders in these post Banjo days.

Cheers to him, Spyro, or Rayman actually making the leap in this pass!

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
See, if not for Rayman being left out of the game, I'd consider Crash a lock.

Going into Ultimate, Rayman made literally too much sense as a newcomer. Him not being in the game, or DLC, is just mindboggling.

Which is the only reason I don't consider Crash a lock. Nintendo doesn't always do the obvious, profitable, guaranteed-to-work option.

My dream outcome would be Rayman and Crash rounding out the pass with Geno as a bonus fighter, but I don't see us getting 3 out of 5 WESTERN-focused characters in the pass Just too good to be true.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
See, if not for Rayman being left out of the game, I'd consider Crash a lock.

Going into Ultimate, Rayman made literally too much sense as a newcomer. Him not being in the game, or DLC, is just mindboggling.

Which is the only reason I don't consider Crash a lock. Nintendo doesn't always do the obvious, profitable, guaranteed-to-work option.

My dream outcome would be Rayman and Crash rounding out the pass with Geno as a bonus fighter, but I don't see us getting 3 out of 5 WESTERN-focused characters in the pass Just too good to be true.
I believe the reason Nintendo hasn't chosen Rayman is one of two things

1) His popularity in Japan is non-existent and we have yet to see a character that is only popular in the west join Super Smash Bros.
2) Nintendo can't find a way to make a proper Rayman amiibo since he is a limbless character.

I don't believe we will get Crash Bandicoot in the fighters pass since he is a very recent request and from what we've seen from Nintendo, it takes a donkey's age for them to finally respond to fan outcry (Ridley, Belmonts, King. K Rool, Banjo & Kazooie). Plus the developers seem to favour Sony more than Nintendo with them releasing the N.Sane Trilogy a year before other consoles and having exclusive content on the PS4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
OMG...you DRAW?!? That's FREAKING AMAZING!!! Well done; all your Crash Fanart is EXCELLENT!!
...No, I was just posting someone else's art, because the upload feature was being wonky again. I usually do fan art dumps on here. Sorry to disappoint you.

D__jxP8XYAAezZi.jpg

1) His popularity in Japan is non-existent and we have yet to see a character that is only popular in the west join Super Smash Bros.
2) Nintendo can't find a way to make a proper Rayman amiibo since he is a limbless character.

I don't believe we will get Crash Bandicoot in the fighters pass since he is a very recent request and from what we've seen from Nintendo, it takes a donkey's age for them to finally respond to fan outcry (Ridley, Belmonts, King. K Rool, Banjo & Kazooie). Plus the developers seem to favour Sony more than Nintendo with them releasing the N.Sane Trilogy a year before other consoles and having exclusive content on the PS4.
Nah, a Rayman amiibo would be very easy to realize. I've seen countless different concepts.
And Ubisoft apparently decided to toss him in Brawlhalla, which from their perspective would be "close enough to Smash Bros". Even being in Rivals of Aether would be better than this.

Also, I would be fine with waiting for a while before Crash gets accepted, it wouldn't feel right for him to get in without Spyro this time anyways.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Nah, a Rayman amiibo would be very easy to realize. I've seen countless different concepts.
Yeah it can be easy to make a Rayman figurine if you're making him sit down and lean on something but not only does that limit the poses that he can do (He certainly can't pose like his Smash Wii U trophy without using transparent arms and legs.) that also makes some object (Like the pillar) the centre of attention. From what we can see from the character portraits in the Super Smash Bros, objects don't appear with characters unless they are major part of their play style like the Luma, the Pikmin, the Koopa Clown car, etc.

If Rayman were to be in Super Smash Bros, His character portrait would need to have him as the centre of attention and the object he is holding on to be either a major part of his play style like Bowser Jr. or in characters like Ness' case, keep it in the background so you don't pay as much attention to it. I'd say the best case that Rayman has in having his Amiibo look right is he is accompanied by a companion like Murfy or Betilla the fairy but then you have the problem with characters like Joker and Hero that don't have Morgana or Slime in their character portraits, so Murfy and Betilla would have to be with him at all times which isn't a bad thing but Rayman usually travels on his own without someone beside him all the time so that conflicts with the third party design of characters being as faithful to the games they originate from.

This should be saved for the Rayman speculation thread really but I'm not too big of a Rayman fan myself so this will have to do.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

IDK man, Joker from Persona 5 could also be seen as a recent request, with his game only releasing in Japan in 2016 and in the West in 2017, which is also when Luminary's game released in Japan. It kinda lines up with Crash's initial return announcement at E3 2016 and the subsequent N. Sane Trilogy release the following year. And Joker also originated from a game that never even left Sony consoles, unlike Crash who seemed to have a mere one year exclusivity deal or something that didn't even keep through to the next game.
Also, I would be fine with waiting for a while before Crash gets accepted, it wouldn't feel right for him to get in without Spyro this time anyways.
We have never gotten two different franchise, unique third parties from the same company within the same development period (so Smash 4 base getting Megaman and DLC getting Ryu doesn't count) ever. And considering Spyro's apparent lack of popularity in Japan unlike Crash's, I have to wonder if that audience at least will mind as much.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We have never gotten two different franchise, unique third parties from the same company within the same development period (so Smash 4 base getting Megaman and DLC getting Ryu doesn't count) ever. And considering Spyro's apparent lack of popularity in Japan unlike Crash's, I have to wonder if that audience at least will mind as much.
One thing for sure is, what Crash-related production there is does ends up being paralleled by Spyro in some way, intentionally or not. To have only Crash get in while Spyro isn't picked at all would feel...weird, to say the least. I know there are reasons why, but it would still bug me on a fundamental level.

In any case, nothing guarantees that Crash would get in, as much sense as it would make. Especially if the current FP keeps up the pattern of characters people wouldn't necessarily want at the end of a character reveal chain. :jigglypuff64::falcon64::ness64::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::wolf::rob::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4corrin::4bayonetta::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
IDK man, Joker from Persona 5 could also be seen as a recent request, with his game only releasing in Japan in 2016 and in the West in 2017, which is also when Luminary's game released in Japan. It kinda lines up with Crash's initial return announcement at E3 2016 and the subsequent N. Sane Trilogy release the following year. And Joker also originated from a game that never even left Sony consoles, unlike Crash who seemed to have a mere one year exclusivity deal or something that didn't even keep through to the next game.
Joker is such a Sakurai pick that I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who chose him since he did base the main menu off of Persona 5 and there was a video of him visiting Atlus' office to meet Morgana so he must be a big fan of the series. Other than that there wasn't a giant outcry for his inclusion (Not saying people didn't want him but everyone was unsure if he would make it) so it must be all thanks to Sakurai that he got in Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
since he did base the main menu off of Persona 5
Actually, there was never a direct confirmation about that. From the Tropes:

Many people say that Sakurai based the user interface off of Persona 5 and that the game was the main influence for Ultimate's UI design. This got more common after the reveal of Joker. Sakurai never said anything like that, he simply praised the UI of the game stating that it would probably win a game UI contest by a mile. Tellingly, he also mentions Pokémon GO as an example of good game UI and yet no one ever mentions that game when talking about Ultimate's UI. There was also minor confusion that the game took some influence from Persona 5's aesthetic (with the player color, black, and white victory screens and the Super Move Portrait Attack during the Final Smashes) but he never said anything on the manner.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
One thing for sure is, what Crash-related production there is does ends up being paralleled by Spyro in some way, intentionally or not. To have only Crash get in while Spyro isn't picked at all would feel...weird, to say the least. I know there are reasons why, but it would still bug me on a fundamental level.

In any case, nothing guarantees that Crash would get in, as much sense as it would make. Especially if the current FP keeps up the pattern of characters people wouldn't necessarily want at the end of a character reveal chain. :jigglypuff64::falcon64::ness64::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::wolf::rob::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4corrin::4bayonetta::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
I think after many years of Crash being completely MIA while Spyro lived on (or at least, freaking existed) through Skylanders, we can have some Crash thing going on without ol' Spyro. Just one.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I really hope :ultjoker: & :ulthero: are it in terms of “anime JRPG protagonists”, I mean they both represent it pretty well don’t they?

The last two FP for me would ideally be another cartoony character (Crash/Spyro/Agumon) and a semi-realistic character (Phoenix/Leon/Doomguy) like would it seriously kill the Smash team to put some damn variety?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Crash getting in without Spyro wouldn't be weird at all, as much as I support Spyro. Crash is a generally bigger icon with a more known presence.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Coming out of Smashboards hibernation to show my support for Crash Bandicoot. There is nobody I want more. :happysheep:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Putting assumed lock for Crash aside, in the meantime, there's only a few days left for the Nitro Tour now, so it won't be too long until we know the details for Back N. Time, and whether babby Cortex and Tropy did get leaked.

Luckily my Motorsport set is finally complete now that I got Megumi. I really just need some small odds and ends, like Biker Tiny and the Twilight wheels.

Although that makes me want to own Tawna and Liz plushies now.

Not that they were lacking in personality and dialogue to begin with.
Yeah, if anything Small Norm really just needed some sort of voice. Whistling's a good compromise to keep him in character.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Spyro’s chances have been sabotaged by the god awful Japanese PS1 ports. It sabotaged the popularity there completely.

I’d be happy if Spyro made it, though would infinitely prefer Crash first

UserKev

Smash Champion
Crash is Spyro's only mail in Smash. Without Crash, Spyro would be a complete left field pick, he'd probably be controversial to the Japanese fans while getting in over pure nostalgia.

Spyro is like, he's anonymously there as far as icons while constantly passed over.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Crash is Spyro's only mail in Smash. Without Crash, Spyro would be a complete left field pick, he'd probably be controversial to the Japanese fans while getting in over pure nostalgia.
yeah it sucks that Spyro is a Literal who to the Japanese, sort of like how Rayman is too.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm a fan of Spyro too and would be cool with him in Smash... But not before Crash Bandicoot.

Let's be honest while both were the 1-2 punch platforming mascots on the Playstation during that era, Crash Bandicoot was and still is the bigger name of the 2, Hell Crash got spinoffs in the form of a Kart racer and Party game outside of the original trilogy which says a lot about the brand power of the franchise at the time something that Spyro never got despite the franchise's success too and just like many have mentioned before Crash Bandicoot is one of the few western IP's that actually was popular and caught on in Japan/East, Unfortunately the same can't be said for our purple dragon friend.

Let's not forget that Crash Bandicoot debuted on the Playstation first back in 1996 and the trilogy wrapped up with "Warped" in 1998 the same year Spyro was just barely about to make his debut.

Also because of their origins and ties with Universal at the time Spyro's demo can also be unlocked in "Warped's" Menu so in a way Crash Bandicoot helped introduce Spyro the Dragon to many young gamers for the first time too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom