• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Any ideas for crash's trailer
I had one but I dont think it will work out its the same as banjo's and krool's one
I’m having trouble thinking of one. I feel like it should involve Sonic and Mario somehow. That’s probably a given.

Maybe fighting a giant Bowser. They’re unable to hurt him, and when it seems like they’re beaten a Nitro Crate falls from the sky on to Bowsers head. He stumbles and falls. You see some familiar shoes bouncing off of Bowser, and it cuts to a silouette of Crash’s back. Sonic and Mario move forward to thank this clearly gallant hero. Crash whips forward with his tongue out and arms outstretched. Sonic and Mario look shocked and then bewildered as Crash does his iconic victory dance completely oblivious to their looks of confusion.

Cuts to gameplay where the main theme from Crash 1 and N Sanity Beach plays. When it shows Smash X Crash Bandicoot, you hear Aku Akus chant when the title slams on to the screen.

I’m sure Sakurai could make this a 100x better honestly. Haha. I think it’s okay though.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
There's something that bothers me about Crash Team Racing. Why is the title called Crash "TEAM" racing when you don't even work as a team? I'm guessing it's something sort of like this the racing game that the Crash team has made and just naming it Crash Racing wouldn't have been interesting enough. It's just a weird word to put in because it's sounds like it's a team based racing game like Team Sonic Racing when it actually isn't.
It's borrowing the naming conventions of Formula One/NASCAR teams. They're typically called things like "Xfinity Team Racing", "Furniture Row Racing" or "Leavine Family Racing". If we go by that idea, "Crash Team" is just the supposed name of the team sponsoring the racers.

In the context of F1/NASCAR, there can be multiple racers on a team, but that doesn't mean they're working together in each individual race, that just means they're under the same sponsorship. They're still competing against each other even if they're on the same team.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's borrowing the naming conventions of Formula One/NASCAR teams. They're typically called things like "Xfinity Team Racing", "Furniture Row Racing" or "Leavine Family Racing". If we go by that idea, "Crash Team" is just the supposed name of the team sponsoring the racers.

In the context of F1/NASCAR, there can be multiple racers on a team, but that doesn't mean they're working together in each individual race, that just means they're under the same sponsorship. They're still competing against each other even if they're on the same team.
Adding to that, the Trophy Girls were once race queens in the original CTR, a common sight in the racing scene (albeit in Japan, from what I'm reading), since they are part of the pit crew for eyecandy reasons.

Since Ridge Racer is dead these days, they're the closest equivalent we got to that series' queen Reiko Nagase, except that they're playable now. :p

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
There's something that bothers me about Crash Team Racing. Why is the title called Crash "TEAM" racing when you don't even work as a team? I'm guessing it's something sort of like this the racing game that the Crash team has made and just naming it Crash Racing wouldn't have been interesting enough. It's just a weird word to put in because it's sounds like it's a team based racing game like Team Sonic Racing when it actually isn't.
It likely means as in the entire Roster, Cast, or "Team" of characters from the Crash Bandicoot franchise in this game, The whole professional racing league such as NASCAR or Formula 1 mentioned before is another likey reason why.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Dropping by to voice my long-itching support for Crash Bandicoot. I even made a moveset for him in Google Slides:
View attachment 230257
You guys need to stop doing this.

By which I mean making his down+B a move like Wumpa Bazooka that shoots to the side. That's completely unintuitive and no game designer worth their salt would ever design it that way. You don't make the character perform an action in a completely different direction than the one input by the player. Down+B would typically be a utility move, such as pulling out and dropping TNT/Nitro crates in Crash's case. If the Wumpa Bazooka shoots to the side by default, it should be his side+B. Making his down+B a move that shoots up and to the side makes no sense.

(I'm aware that Smash Crusade has unintuitive move designations like this, which is just one of many reasons their game sucks.)

Last edited:

TechnicallyVern

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-8265-5666-3112

By which I mean making his down+B a move like Wumpa Bazooka that shoots to the side. That's completely unintuitive and no game designer worth their salt would ever design it that way. You don't make the player input a direction that makes the character perform an action in a completely different direction. Down+B would typically be a utility move, such as pulling out and dropping TNT/Nitro crates in Crash's case. If the Wumpa Bazooka shoots to the side by default, it should be his side+B.

(I'm aware that Smash Crusade has unintuitive move designations like this, which is just one of many reasons their game sucks.)
I mostly prefered his down b to be TNT/Nitro crates but I had a another idea wich the down would work as a parry but the dropping tnt or nitro crates is better.
Edit:The parry would be aku aku doing a quick spin around crash similar in crash team racing.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

By which I mean making his down+B a move like Wumpa Bazooka that shoots to the side. That's completely unintuitive and no game designer worth their salt would ever design it that way. You don't make the player input a direction that makes the character perform an action in a completely different direction. Down+B would typically be a utility move, such as pulling out and dropping TNT/Nitro crates in Crash's case. If the Wumpa Bazooka shoots to the side by default, it should be his side+B.

Wumpa Bazooka would likely be a side-B like Snake's missiles.

TechnicallyVern

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-8265-5666-3112
I guess I had some ideas for stage hazards for insanity beach
It would be the villains from the crash games
They would be appearing in the backgrounds or on the stages coming out from portals in the crash games
Dingodile :He would be in the background bursting flames everywere and the grounds
Doctor nefarious tropy : He would hit and dash the opponents with his spear
Ripper roo:He would stomp the ground causing crates to fall
N gine:A platform would appear underground and n gine will appear in the background he would attack just like in crash games with his mech
And Neo cortex:He would appear in his hover board destroying platforms and shooting opponents.
I dont know if I did well on the hazards or not I tried.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If I did N Sanity Beach as Crash's stage, I would make the hazards be the Jungle Rollers. I would want the hazards to fit the idea of N Sanity Beach from Crash 1. My ideal stage still is the Warp Room though. Need to dig up my old post on that it was really good.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg
I mean I really expected Banjo to be a character in that game with the honeycomb item, and then the last unlocked character was... Goku. The only "4th party" in that game. Also Tails's back air is just his gun shooting like his special.

PsychoJosh

I'm thinking we could implement the "juiced up" mechanic from CTR into Crash's moveset.

How this works is, doing certain moves or performing combos against enemies will earn Crash some Wumpa Fruit. When he has ten fruit, his specials become juiced up. So where his down+B would normally be a TNT crate, it becomes a Nitro crate instead. Getting hit or KO'd naturally makes him lose fruit and he has to recollect all the fruit he lost to become juiced up again.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Nitro Fueled is the best kart racer of this generation and probably of the whole decade, by far. The only one being nearly as good (but still inferior) was Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (even with that ****ed up roster).

Would definitely love to see Crash in Smash Bros

TechnicallyVern

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-8265-5666-3112
I'm thinking we could implement the "juiced up" mechanic from CTR into Crash's moveset.

How this works is, doing certain moves or performing combos against enemies will earn Crash some Wumpa Fruit. When he has ten fruit, his specials become juiced up. So where his down+B would normally be a TNT crate, it becomes a Nitro crate instead. Getting hit or KO'd naturally makes him lose fruit and he has to recollect all the fruit he lost to become juiced up again.
Thats a good idea.
For his up special the jump crate turns into caged crate crash can jump on it 3 or 4 times

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Out of all the Crash games prior to the reboot, Twinsanity is the one that undeniably was the most robbed of its potential. While new games are needed, I hope it gets a second chance someday.

Anyway, here's another art dump.

D-xiVZPWkAA21nG.jpg

D-55RpSWkAATrwF.jpg

D-5YFDKU8AAibqP.jpg

D-1SiG4XsAAfKOI.png

D-8N692XkAAHJ4z.jpg

D-8gJwGXkAEGc3f.jpg

D-8gJwGWwAIyOOO.jpg

D-6AsOSXoAA9nKd.jpg

D-6AsOTX4AEP9iM.jpg

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Twinsanity had a massive potentiel but the game got ruined because they wanted it to came out fast. Pretty sure it could have been a classic with more development time. It sucks so much to see all of the villains at the beginning and never see most of them again.

The thing that would still have been **** is these two birds as main antagonists, they're so bad that it hurts.

In the end, Twinsanity is a good game but could have been so much better that thinking about it makes me sad. Kinda remind me of Spyro enter the dragonfly and how these two franchise follow the same path.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Twinsanity had a massive potentiel but the game got ruined because they wanted it to came out fast. Pretty sure it could have been a classic with more development time. It sucks so much to see all of the villains at the beginning and never see most of them again.

The thing that would still have been **** is these two birds as main antagonists, they're so bad that it hurts.

In the end, Twinsanity is a good game but could have been so much better that thinking about it makes me sad. Kinda remind me of Spyro enter the dragonfly and how these two franchise follow the same path.
At least the game has a wicked solid soundtrack

Klimax

Smash Ace
Yeah definitely, that's probably the most well known thing about this game. I remember the worm chase song becoming a meme with the stormtrooper dancing video

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Funny thing is, despite being kneecapped, Twinsanity is one of the better post Naughty Dog games, up there with CNK and the two gba games.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Wait isnt crash 3 warped the best one?
If you're referring to TCT's above comment about the "better post Naughty Dog games," then Warped was made by Naughty Dog. Their last Crash game was the original Crash Team Racing.

If you're just speaking in general, then like most things, it's debatable and a matter of opinion on whether or not Warped is the best one. As far as I can tell, the fandom is relatively evenly split on whether or not Cortex Strikes Back or Warped is better. Personally, I enjoy the power-ups and most of the ideas, but I'm not a huge fan of the vehicle levels, though they're certainly not bad. Still, Cortex Strikes Back is my preferred entry.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

At least Twinsanity was mostly functional. ETD barely was finished to the point that the Gamecube version could let you see exposed ground wireframe sometimes.

And, well, Spyro going a LOTR-esque route compared to Crash doing...this.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'm entirely convinced that Radical were on mushrooms by the end of their tenure.

I just hope the fandom's need for new games won't prevent Twinsanity from getting the second chance it deserves someday. At least Vivendi Universal doesn't have their dirty mitts on the IP anymore.

At least the game has a wicked solid soundtrack
On that note, I wonder what Spiralmouth are doing lately.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hmmm... How have I never been in this thread!?!?!?

He is top tier material for next inclusion. And any future inclusion.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just 30000 Nitro, can't wait for Motorsport Tawna and the Champion kart to show people I am a tryhard.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So after grinding out CTR for 100+ hours and getting Motorsport Tawna I questioned why I haven't been here yet...

Crash and Doom Slayer are my top choices for remaining DLC as they are both arguably the biggest gaming icons not yet in Smash, and Crash would bring a unique moveset and great music (Give me Twinsanity please). I predict Crash to be #5 though.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would argue with that statement while I agree they are pretty big icons they're not the biggest imo

TechnicallyVern

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-8265-5666-3112
Both doomguy and crash would be great

I dont think we are getting huge support as crash fans and I dont ever hear a single famous smash youtuber or person wanting crash for smash

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Well let me rephrase that. I think they are iconic enough to be in Smash because Crash represents a missing mascot in the original console rivalry, and as for Doom Slayer, I see Doom to FPS what Dragon Quest is to RPG, so they are big deals.

I would argue with that statement while I agree they are pretty big icons they're not the biggest imo
I'm curious, who are the biggest ones not in Smash yet in your opinion?

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
We have dante the father of hack'n' slash we have metal slug we have tekken we have Digimon and then I would say doom and crash

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
DMC, Tekken and Digimon are fair arguments, but no way is Metal Slug more iconic than Crash as much as I love that game.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well i wasn't entirely sure for metal slug but since it's the father of rail shooter i tought that maybe it was more iconic but i can be wrong after all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Best to do research on what are the most well-known series. Or rather, best to do proper research in general, otherwise you get burned by the public for trying to talk about the subject you have limited knowledge of.

Anyway, here is some more fan art for tonight.

D-qXVw9XsAEOmGr.jpg

D_DjzyTW4AA93vz.jpg

D_EcmtRUIAAZtKr.jpg

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
We have dante the father of hack'n' slash we have metal slug we have tekken we have Digimon and then I would say doom and crash
IDK if Digimon and as already mentioned Metal Slug, though they'd be pretty neat, are as big as suggested? Digimon for example, kinda went off the rails over here in Britain in terms of content, I remember someone I know talking about that. Could you maybe say that Metal Slug was the most recognisable SNK thing at least, perhaps?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Crash is more iconic and better selling than any of those. You want a legacy? Try being Sony’s former mascot. That is a far more iconic legacy than any of those. Besides, Heihachi ain’t happening due to the character being retired and Dante is deconfirmed already.

Furthermore, what made you think it would be a good idea to go into a Crash support thread and say metal slug needed to be in first?

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Crash is more iconic and better selling than any of those. You want a legacy? Try being Sony’s former mascot. That is a far more iconic legacy than any of those. Besides, Heihachi ain’t happening due to the character being retired and Dante is deconfirmed already.

Furthermore, what made you think it would be a good idea to go into a Crash support thread and say metal slug needed to be in first?
I didn't say metal slug NEED to be in first . I said crash is not that big of series that you thought. Crash was dead for years now while series like dmc are continuing and increasing it's fanbase so crash kinda lose his iconic status (i like the character though but let's be real crash isn't the big pillar of video games he used to be).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does it even matter how iconic a series is or was? I'll just quote this glorious post here:

One of the biggest things arguments against Isaac, Banjo, Geno, Skull Kid, etc. is that they're simply not relevant anymore. "They're dead, they're not going to increase sales, etc." Well, first of all Smash Bros isn't just a billboard, but to humor these people...

*After the financial failure that was Federation Force, they some how still decided to make two Metroid titles
*After a 10 year hiatus Star Fox received a new game two years ago
*The last Streets of Rage game released was in 1994, now its getting a new one in 2019 (25 years)
*After a 10 year hiatus Samurai Shodown is receiving a sequel
*Shenmue 3 will finally be happening next year after 18 years of waiting
*Devil May Cry 5 is happening, we're getting a -real- one after an 11 year wait
*Windjammers 2, NES classic, SNES classic, PS1 classic, Ace Combat 7, Fighting Layer Ex, Megaman 11, etc.

Not only that, lets not pretend that the inclusion of obscure/lesser known series in Smash like Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Mother, Metroid, Star Fox, and more didn't help their sales. Smash is unique because you can advertise a lesser known character using it because it already has Mario, Sonic, Link, and Pikachu on the cover. Call of Duty guy does not need their help. Someone like Shulk would benefit very well from being in Smash.

This isn't the late 2000s or early 2010s anymore. Companies like Nintendo don't have to shell out a million Mario titles anymore nor does one overgenre saturate the market. Due to the rise of social media, its made it very easy to advertise something like a new Metroid, Shenmue or Samurai Shodown. Advertising spreads extremely fast on twitter now and influencers and Youtubers with huge audiences have the ability to vouch for these games.

It is really annoying (stupid) when people say relevancy should be the only factor.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
No it doesn't matter and i will be happy if people get crash in smash but i'm just saying he isn't "the last big franchise not being included"

Top Bottom