• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
CTR - Switch or PS4? Help me decide.
PS4, easy. Switch version has the Nintendo curse. Longer load times, worse overall graphics, and PS4 version has more content. It's a no brainer. You only get the Switch version if you don't have any of the other systems.

zferolie

Smash Hero
PS4, easy. Switch version has the Nintendo curse. Longer load times, worse overall graphics, and PS4 version has more content. It's a no brainer. You only get the Switch version if you don't have any of the other systems.

I got the switch version for on the go playing. load times are bad, but the graphics don't seem much worse, or not that bad really. nd the only content missing is retro graphics

StormC

Smash Hero
Playing portably is a godsend, but I'll wait for a sale before biting on CTR. I'm not a big racing guy, although the original CTR is an exception to that.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Playing portably is a godsend, but I'll wait for a sale before biting on CTR. I'm not a big racing guy, although the original CTR is an exception to that.
For 40 bucks its already a steal, but sales are always welcome

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Booh-yah, grandma. It even managed to outsell the latest FIFA.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
wow, my copy of the N. Sane trilogy arrived today, 4 days sooner than expecting. Maybe I will be able to get a bunch of playtime in before Mario Maker arrives.

I've already completed the first world, but the second world is already kicking my butt. Especially that road to nowhere, and I didn't even get all the boxes. I'm not the biggest completionist so I hope there's no huge penalty for that. Is there a difference between crash and Coco mechanically? I can't find any information on that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
wow, my copy of the N. Sane trilogy arrived today, 4 days sooner than expecting. Maybe I will be able to get a bunch of playtime in before Mario Maker arrives.

I've already completed the first world, but the second world is already kicking my butt. Especially that road to nowhere, and I didn't even get all the boxes. I'm not the biggest completionist so I hope there's no huge penalty for that. Is there a difference between crash and Coco mechanically? I can't find any information on that.
I think they're pretty much identical. Just go for whatever one you like more!

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
No offense but I'd be devastated getting Jill or Leon as DLC characters. I was against Master Chief because "guy with gun", but he at least has a unique, iconic appearance and SLIGHTLY more moveset potential.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of ANYTHING interesting that Jill or Leon could bring to Smash in terms of gameplay mechanics.

And yeah, Crash doesn't have the MOST moveset potential of any candidate, but he's an iconic 90s mascot with major aesthetic appeal.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's the first I hear of that. Luckily both can coexist now. :p

On a related fun fact note, I heard that the Trophy Girls are all named after Sony employees from back in the day. Megumi, in particular, is named after Megumi Hosoya, the Product and Marketing Manager of SCE Japan, who also happens to be the person who came up with the idea for the Crash Dance.

I honestly wonder how she feels about her namesake not only becoming playable, but now even having her own distinctive dance~
Yeah, I really hope Tawna sticks around this time to interact with the cast.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No offense but I'd be devastated getting Jill or Leon as DLC characters. I was against Master Chief because "guy with gun", but he at least has a unique, iconic appearance and SLIGHTLY more moveset potential.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of ANYTHING interesting that Jill or Leon could bring to Smash in terms of gameplay mechanics.

And yeah, Crash doesn't have the MOST moveset potential of any candidate, but he's an iconic 90s mascot with major aesthetic appeal.
Resource management moveset perhaps involving scavenging for ammo. It would help immensely with the Survival Horror feel.

That being said this really isn't the place for Resident Evil discussion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I finally got my shark boi. Feels kinda weird to win points by hundreds online, even when dead last.

Yeah, I really hope Tawna sticks around this time to interact with the cast.
Same here man. Maybe in a hypothetical new Crash, we can easily have a rotating cast situation depending on whether Activision decides to take on a few more remakes first or not. We really just need the fans to demand it.

Edit: by the way, if anyone wants to help make it happen:

Second fighters pass appears.

The ride will never end.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
.... huh. Tawna left crash for pinstripe? At least the wiki says that... i wonder if thats still canon or if crash and her got back together

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
.... huh. Tawna left crash for pinstripe? At least the wiki says that... i wonder if thats still canon or if crash and her got back together
It's dubiously canon. First time it happened was in a manga, then a player's guide for Wrath of Cortex claimed this as well. Crash Boom Bang seems to go along with it, since both of those two show up in the game. The whole reason this happened at all is to explain away her absence after the first game.

In any case, the modern games lean towards fixing this issue, if Tawna's Crash print shirt is any indication.

Regardless what happens though, the shipping wars for this game will go on full-throttle when Pasadena shows up.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's dubiously canon. First time it happened was in a manga, then a player's guide for Wrath of Cortex claimed this as well. Crash Boom Bang seems to go along with it, since both of those two show up in the game. The whole reason this happened at all is to explain away her absence after the first game.

In any case, the modern games lean towards fixing this issue, if Tawna's Crash print shirt is any indication.

Regardless what happens though, the shipping wars for this game will go on full-throttle when Pasadena shows up.
It would be interesting to see if they reference it. Sadly this game doesn't have banter between racers like that. would have been fun to see.

So from what I seen it seems Pasadena had a crush on Crash, but from what I have seen Crash seems to only have eyes for Tawna

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would be interesting to see if they reference it. Sadly this game doesn't have banter between racers like that. would have been fun to see.

So from what I seen it seems Pasadena had a crush on Crash, but from what I have seen Crash seems to only have eyes for Tawna
Yeah, in CTTR itself the writers weren't consistent in regards to whether Crash appreciates or is repulsed by Pasadena's advances. I did see an official gameplay screenshot that kinda references the old canon, by having Tawna, Crash and Pinstripe on it.

Speaking of CTTR, I have a feeling we may not have a Grand Prix for that until November at the earliest, if October mostly focuses on Twinsanity characters

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, in CTTR itself the writers weren't consistent in regards to whether Crash appreciates or is repulsed by Pasadena's advances. I did see an official gameplay screenshot that kinda references the old canon, by having Tawna, Crash and Pinstripe on it.

Speaking of CTTR, I have a feeling we may not have a Grand Prix for that until November at the earliest, if October mostly focuses on Twinsanity characters
I guess being vague keeps things safe. And i can see them focusing on different games per series is a good idea.

Off topic, but a cool video got released today, comparing mario kart 8 and ctr

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
After the Bandana Dee rerates, Crash is now the highest rated character in Chance and Want in RTC... for now.

He will be rerated as we are doing minor rerates, but I do not see too much deviation happening, especially if yall participate again.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
if Crash Bandicoot makes it into smash, and his reveal trailer doesn't involve a guy in a Crash costume holding a megaphone and talking smack about Mario in front of the Nintendo headquarters, then we've failed as a society.

Anyway, I beat crash one, it was fun, but holy moly it was hard. I'm on Crash 2, it's crazy how much better it feels. Kind of jarring even, since the n sane trilogy Games all kind of look the same. I'm not used to sequels looking nearly identical, And when they do, they play exactly the same. (Looking at you NSMB.)
Anyway, even though crash to control so much better, I don't think I have it in me to get all the boxes and every game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really want Crash's air Down A to be his ground slam. It already looks to be a really fun attack to mess with the player or CPU. Crash's twist attack will need to be brought in creativity since I can see it being bland-ish.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
if Crash Bandicoot makes it into smash, and his reveal trailer doesn't involve a guy in a Crash costume holding a megaphone and talking smack about Mario in front of the Nintendo headquarters, then we've failed as a society.

Anyway, I beat crash one, it was fun, but holy moly it was hard. I'm on Crash 2, it's crazy how much better it feels. Kind of jarring even, since the n sane trilogy Games all kind of look the same. I'm not used to sequels looking nearly identical, And when they do, they play exactly the same. (Looking at you NSMB.)
Anyway, even though crash to control so much better, I don't think I have it in me to get all the boxes and every game.
I can settle for a super-sweet CGI trailer. Especially if it starts out looking like a trailer for a new Crash game, right until we see Kirby or Mario show up. :awesome:

That being said, it takes a lot of practice and occasionally strategy guides. Take it from a guy who 100%ed the classic versions as a lad.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I got half of the N Tropy trials done on switch right now. I hate everything.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My copy just arrived today even though I was expecting it for next week. Looking forward to playing it when I have the chance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A new interview video by Canadian Guy Eh has been posted! This time it pertains to things like Grand Prix structure details, what to expect for the second season's track, and how they deal with adding original content.

Spoiler alert: no, they still haven't said anything about Spyro & Friends, or whatever comes afterwards.

D

Deleted member

A new interview video by Canadian Guy Eh has been posted! This time it pertains to things like Grand Prix structure details, what to expect for the second season's track, and how they deal with adding original content.

Spoiler alert: no, they still haven't said anything about Spyro & Friends, or whatever comes afterwards.
Does it mention if the Grand Pix challenges can be done outside of online races or not?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I haven't followed the game too closely, so I'm not familiar with these Grand Prix challenges. I'm not a huge fan of having characters and stages being time-limited and require challenges to unlock; I don't want to miss out on characters and tracks (for a while, if not permanently) because I'm not good at the game. Hopefully the challenges are reasonably difficult, as opposed to making us complete nearly impossible challenges to unlock characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't followed the game too closely, so I'm not familiar with these Grand Prix challenges. I'm not a huge fan of having characters and stages being time-limited and require challenges to unlock; I don't want to miss out on characters and tracks (for a while, if not permanently) because I'm not good at the game.
There’s no need to worry.

Every character from the Grand Prix seasons will be added forever to the game’s Pit Shop a bit after the month ends, in case you couldn’t get them during that period.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There’s no need to worry.

Every character from the Grand Prix seasons will be added forever to the game’s Pit Shop a bit after the month ends, in case you couldn’t get them during that period.
That's a relief. What's an easy way to get coins for the Pit Stop? I've been playing through Adventure Mode, but coming in first only gets me between twenty and forty coins. When a regular character is 1500, and a Grand Prix reward will cost the same or likely even more, that's not exactly a lot.

Right now, I think I have 2200 coins roughly, so enough for one and a half characters. Fortunately, I'm not familiar with any of the racers that are unlocked through the Pit Stop outside of Crunch, but I feel like that's going to change.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's a relief. What's an easy way to get coins for the Pit Stop? I've been playing through Adventure Mode, but coming in first only gets me between twenty and forty coins. When a regular character is 1500, and a Grand Prix reward will cost the same or likely even more, that's not exactly a lot.

Right now, I think I have 2200 coins roughly, so enough for one and a half characters. Fortunately, I'm not familiar with any of the racers that are unlocked through the Pit Stop outside of Crunch, but I feel like that's going to change.
For offline mode, I suggest to go into single races, pick Tiny Arena and play as much of that track as you can on a day.

It gives the most coins of all the offline tracks (80 Wumpa Coins each time you get on first place), and on the weekend of the game’s launch I actually managed to get more than half of the roster unlocked that way.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Dropping by to voice some support for Crash. I've recently been playing the N'Sane Trilogy on Switch (I have no experience with Crash prior except for having played it at friends houses a few times) and really enjoying it quite a bit. I mean, there's definitely a horribly early 3D platformer feel to the first Crash Bandicoot, but I'm well versed in that sort of thing and still having a blast with the game. Definitely makes me want to have him in Smash more so than before. Especially after everything else Smash Ultimate has done, Crash would be such a great moment for the game.

I don't trust Activision to not **** up that possibility, but I also trust Sakurai quite a bit, so we'll see where things go.

Also, I've never played Crash Team Racing and Gamestop currently has a trade-in deal to get 20% extra if you trade towards the game, so I'm seriously considering looking into it on Switch as well (I own a PS4, but my preferred platform has always been Switch in these matters unless the game is actually unplayable or terrible in the port job).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Dropping by to voice some support for Crash. I've recently been playing the N'Sane Trilogy on Switch (I have no experience with Crash prior except for having played it at friends houses a few times) and really enjoying it quite a bit. I mean, there's definitely a horribly early 3D platformer feel to the first Crash Bandicoot, but I'm well versed in that sort of thing and still having a blast with the game. Definitely makes me want to have him in Smash more so than before. Especially after everything else Smash Ultimate has done, Crash would be such a great moment for the game.

I don't trust Activision to not **** up that possibility, but I also trust Sakurai quite a bit, so we'll see where things go.

Also, I've never played Crash Team Racing and Gamestop currently has a trade-in deal to get 20% extra if you trade towards the game, so I'm seriously considering looking into it on Switch as well (I own a PS4, but my preferred platform has always been Switch in these matters unless the game is actually unplayable or terrible in the port job).
Tis a decent port. It has longer load times which might be a dealbreaker for you, but the PS4 has bigger issues. While it has a bonus track, it also has save corruption issues.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Tis a decent port. It has longer load times which might be a dealbreaker for you, but the PS4 has bigger issues. While it has a bonus track, it also has save corruption issues.
I don't think Crash Team Racing is the kind of game where load times are going to bother me all that much. I only really mind loading if interrupts gameplay (AKA doors that open really slowly or moving in and out of the world taking forever). I can wait to race as long as the game is generally stable from that point on.

Plus, since the base PS4 game was only 30 FPS anyway, I really don't think I'd be missing much other than fidelity with the Switch version.

Top Bottom