• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't put too many eggs in one basket yet though, always keep in mind some of the characters pre-November 1st people thought were certain.
Yeah, not to mention assuming that mainstream popularity is the end-all be-all that influences who can get in. That can help, but that's not how it works.

It wasn't long ago that it was assumed that Minecraft's juggernaut success would lead to getting in as Microsoft's frontrunner, only for a plucky honey bear and bird to score an underdog victory.

In the meantime, I'm more interested in seeing who else managed to get in Nitro-Fueled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, not to mention assuming that mainstream popularity is the end-all be-all that influences who can get in. That can help, but that's not how it works.

It wasn't long ago that it was assumed that Minecraft's juggernaut success would lead to getting in as Microsoft's frontrunner, only for a plucky honey bear and bird to score an underdog victory.

In the meantime, I'm more interested in seeing who else managed to get in Nitro-Fueled.
Hoping to see Nina added to NF in the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of NF, I recently checked the TV Tropes article for it and it seems that people have already started seeing the character epilogues. Many have been changed or modified. The most hilarious change so far is probably Papu Papu's signature wrestling move somehow starting a worldwide dance craze.

Also, Moe is mentioned in Joe's epilogue, so take that as you will.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Crash still has competition, rather if its not realizable. I believe Rayman can pull an oddball, not that I don't want him in. A Spirit doesn't move him out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Crash still has competition, rather if its not realizable. I believe Rayman can pull an oddball, not that I don't want him in. A Spirit doesn't move him out.
I think the actual issue with Rayman is that Ubi seems to be complacent about his inclusion, more than anything. Never mind stopping to actively push him for Smash, they settled to stick him into Brawlhalla for the time being and didn't even announce any new Rayman games in development.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think the actual issue with Rayman is that Ubi seems to be complacent about his inclusion, more than anything. Never mind stopping to actively push him for Smash, they settled to stick him into Brawlhalla for the time being and didn't even announce any new Rayman games in development.
This is the exact reason Rayman would appeal to unpredictability. I wouldn't roll out Ubi's thinking. Crash has just as much unpredictability, why either character chosen, no decision could go wrong.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is the exact reason Rayman would appeal to unpredictability. I wouldn't roll out Ubi's thinking. Crash has just as much unpredictability, why either character chosen, no decision could go wrong.
Alright, but let's remember that Rayman showed up as a trophy last time, and it amounted to nothing. Keep an open mind there's a chance that he may be just as likely to not appear. As it is right now, it's 50/50.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Alright, but let's remember that Rayman showed up as a trophy last time, and it amounted to nothing. Keep an open mind there's a chance that he may be just as likely to not appear. As it is right now, it's 50/50.
I also rated it 50/50 in my head. Haha

Also, I kind of misread your post. If Rayman is in Brawlhalla, it sort of takes away from his hype. He's mostly rolled out then, I feel it.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Though I'm already satisfied that I got my 1st and 2nd most wanted with Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool, But I will still be disappointed if Crash Bandicoot doesn't make it in seeing how he missed the boat in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (The biggest missing character) and missing out Super Smash Bros Ultimate will just be more salt on an open wound.

Some people don't like the hear the word "Earned" or "Deserve" a roster spot ,But I definitely believe that if your a 3rd Party Character then you should either be an icon or at least an all-star or be significant enough to have had strong ties with Nintendo, Super Smash Bros is pretty much the video game hall of fame.

While Crash Bandicoot isn't on the level of icons such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu or Pacman and Sonic, But he's without a doubt a tier below which I would call the "All-Star" level among the ranks of Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman, But he is the biggest name of this level and definitely made an impact in video game industry even though the franchise went through a slump in the mid 2000's, But with the franchise finally returning successfully with N.Sane Trilogy and CTR Nitro Fueled on it's way and on Nintendo consoles too, The long overdue time is now for him to finally enter a crossover fighter and rumble with his past rivals in Mario and Sonic.

StormC

Smash Hero
Never thought I’d see the day where K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo-Kazooie got into Smash and I’d spend my time in the Crash thread hoping he got in...

It would just be amazingly poetic if the first two characters are from popular JRPGs from the late 2010s and the next two are popular western 3D platforming animal mascots from the late 90s. I don’t know what to expect, but he feels like the character I’d be the most excited about that has a plausible chance for the Pass (close race between him and Leon Kennedy, both originating from PS1 games ironically).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
There's absolutely no way Coco is joining other than being an alt for Crash, so I don't see the point of a Coco support thread

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I'm really feeling like Crash is gonna be the big showstopper final DLC character for this game. I mean who else could it be?

Add me to the supporter list, going all in for the bandicoot boy now

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I honestly have high hopes for Crash getting spot #5 in the Fighters Pass. I've never finished any of the Crash games, but I'm working on it. Please add me to the supporter list.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Coco as alt of Crash would be terrible. Its not out of the ordinary for Crash to have 2 reps since the character has familiarity in Japan.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Coco as alt of Crash would be terrible. Its not out of the ordinary for Crash to have 2 reps since the character has familiarity in Japan.
I can't see Coco being added as a separate character unless she's a bonus echo fighter packaged with Crash that doesn't count towards the total number of characters in the Fighter's Pass. It would be rather strange for them to dedicate the last two spots in the fighter's pass to two characters from the same company/series, especially when each FP character comes with their own stage and music.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can't see Coco being added as a separate character unless she's a bonus echo fighter packaged with Crash that doesn't count towards the total number of characters in the Fighter's Pass. It would be rather strange for them to dedicate the last two spots in the fighter's pass to two characters from the same company/series, especially when each FP character comes with their own stage and music.
I agree. From what we have seen every fighter for this pass is from a unique series. No way they would change that for the last. Only way Coco is in is as an alt(which can easily work, she has used the same exact moves as crash and shes only slightly shorter, which can be fixed easily) or as a echo in a future echo pack with other echos added(like Ms Pac Man, Medusa, Black Shadow, Impa, and/or others). I would like the later myself, as there are some really good possible echos.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Eh, wouldn't Coco have a different skeleton (with a neck) and animations? Maybe if they strangely accounted for it by giving Crash an unused neck bone or something (?) and made his animations more of an in-between with Coco's?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Coco really shouldn't use Crash's moves other than the Twist attack and projectile shooter. It'd look really goofy if she uses Crash's fall slam.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Coco really shouldn't use Crash's moves other than the Twist attack and projectile shooter. It'd look really goofy if she uses Crash's fall slam.
Can't she already use that in N-Sane's Warped levels?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
If they plan to do Coco I think they'd probably announce her right away as an alternate skin for Crash. I doubt they'd release echo fighters later. A character's big reveal is the moment they'd do that sort of thing unless they weren't planning on it.

They weren't planning on adding Chrom when Corrin was revealed, so that sort of thing gets sorted out right away. I think Sakurai and the team generally approach guest characters with the mentality of "what's the absolute most we can get out of having this franchise deal?"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: Well, I was informed that my Nitros Oxide Edition pre-order arrived and I'll pick it up tomorrow, we're in the endgame boys and girls.

If they plan to do Coco I think they'd probably announce her right away as an alternate skin for Crash. I doubt they'd release echo fighters later. A character's big reveal is the moment they'd do that sort of thing unless they weren't planning on it.

They weren't planning on adding Chrom when Corrin was revealed, so that sort of thing gets sorted out right away. I think Sakurai and the team generally approach guest characters with the mentality of "what's the absolute most we can get out of having this franchise deal?"
Good luck telling that to Kasumi fans though. I respect their expectations, but I honestly doubt that the staff would save a Persona 5-related character for later in this cycle, even if it's to promote The Royal. It was either now or never.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Crash would certainly be neat to see in Ultimate and would certainly allow people to enact the whole console war of the 90's. He's got plenty to work with from the original trilogy, and Coco could work as an alt skin given that she was allowed to use all of Crash's techniques/abilities in the N. Sane Trilogy. Mark me down as a supporter!

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Still waiting for this to happen. Just wish I knew more about whether Activision was interested in Smash. I'm properly playing his games for the first time now too on my Switch, so my hype just keeps getting stronger. Damn Crash 1 is kicking my ass... Him and Leon are pretty much the only ones I'm pulling for right now that I think actually have a shot.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
People often bring up Coco as a potential alt, but would that be possible? Sure, she's capable of doing all of Crash's moves from the original trilogy, but in order for a character to be an alternate costume, it's important for them to be able to share identical proportions with the original fighter. Sakurai even stated that Isabelle, despite sharing some moves from Villager, couldn't copy their moveset 1-to1 as their Echo due to her different proportions.

1561095301912.png

Looking at their actual skeletons in their N-Sane Models as best we can (which might not perfectly match their proper gameplay skeletons, but work as reference for their proportions) Crash has almost no neck, and his shoulders are right next to his jaw, compared to Coco who has relatively normal humanoid proportions. Not to mention Crash's long lanky arms and hunched over posture compared to Coco's upright posture and straight, longer legs. If Isabelle was too different from Villager, wouldn't the same apply to Coco?

Plus, since she'd be a costume, she'd have to share all of Crash's animations too. But aside from the Fruit Bazooka and I think the slide, Coco performs most of Crash's moves with her own flair, like using her legs instead of her arms proper for her spin attack, a more Mario-esque Ground pound instead of Crash's Belly Flop, etc.

I'm no expert at 3D modeling and how Smash does it though, so I'm not sure. Could they model Crash in such a way that accurately captures his modern proportions that could reconcile with Coco?

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't exactly support crash, I honestly don't know who I support except for Gino now that most of my Most Wanted characters are either in, or are assist trophies. but I'm also not against him either, I'm more of a Spyro fan, but I feel crash is more likely, and I would welcome him.

I just wanted to say, is that even though I think console warring is dumb, especially nowadays, I still feel like I would have this weird sense of Pride as a Nintendo fan, that the Nintendo All Star fighting game could get cloud, snake, and crash freaking Bandicoot as a character, but Sony's attempt at a crossover fighting event couldn't.

I know Reggie was joking at the Russo Brothers expense about Smash Brothers being the most ambitious crossover of all time, but when we have former and current competitors characters in our crossover when Marvel can't even use some of their own freaking characters Then I do have to wonder if that was a joke or not.

EDIT: side note, I'm currently attempting to a tempting to rustle up some sketch commissions so I can buy the Crash Bandicoot n-sane Trilogy, so I can finally experience the classics, I'd only ever played the first one before. Hope I can snag it while it's still on sale. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't exactly support crash, I honestly don't know who I support except for Gino now that most of my Most Wanted characters are either in, or are assist trophies. but I'm also not against him either, I'm more of a Spyro fan, but I feel crash is more likely, and I would welcome him.

I just wanted to say, is that even though I think console warring is dumb, especially nowadays, I still feel like I would have this weird sense of Pride as a Nintendo fan, that the Nintendo All Star fighting game could get cloud, snake, and crash freaking Bandicoot as a character, but Sony's attempt at a crossover fighting event couldn't.

I know Reggie was joking at the Russo Brothers expense about Smash Brothers being the most ambitious crossover of all time, but when we have former and current competitors characters in our crossover when Marvel can't even use some of their own freaking characters Then I do have to wonder if that was a joke or not.

EDIT: side note, I'm currently attempting to a tempting to rustle up some sketch commissions so I can buy the Crash Bandicoot n-sane Trilogy, so I can finally experience the classics, I'd only ever played the first one before. Hope I can snag it while it's still on sale. Wish me luck.
Yeah, All-Stars Battle Royale even failed at being a tribute to a first-party company's history. It didn't help that it more or less tended to ruin the cohesion of its stages by haphazardly mashing elements of different IPs with each other.

The Marvel example really goes to show how much easier it is to gather up gaming licenses than anything. Anything outside of games is a matter of too many factors needed to work, otherwise nothing happens. Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom in particular wouldn't have been brought to the West if they didn't exclude the Tatsunoko character with the most legal ownership complications.

As for me, I'll most likely swap between the N-Sane Trilogy and NF for a bit. Good luck tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It is 3:24 PM and I’m still waiting for the SMS by GAME to pick CTR NF at the store where I preordered the game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Played some ctr last night as i got home very late. Its pretty fun, but a little hard. Im playing coco and did medium difficult and the cpus are good. I betlat ripper roo and did the first crystal challenge, but so far its hard but fun.

Anyone have any good tips? Trying to be better at the drift boosting but it is different from other kart racers i have play

Top Bottom