• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Something someone brought up in another topic was that Crash had a bit of an audience overlap with already-confirmed Banjo, so it'd be a matter of if Nintendo's looking at other audiences for the remaining DLC cause they want it to (?), even acknowledging the two JRPG characters.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's great to see some overlap and some familiar names here that came over from the Banjo-Kazooie thread, Probably because of our love for wacky, cartoony, animal platformer mascots and the genre.

If we can get 2 JRPG characters to favor Japan then I hope we can get another western platformer character to go alongside Banjo-Kazooie and what bigger name is there available other than Crash Bandicoot?

Rayman is the 2nd closest I can think of and would be cool with him, But Crash Bandicoot is a much bigger icon, has stronger legacy and will make a bigger impact globally (East & West).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
thats a lot of characters.... but as a noob i don't know any of them. Some look like the trophy girls though....
That's the thing, it's gotten outdated already. Who knows how many more of these characters will come?

It's great to see some overlap and some familiar names here that came over from the Banjo-Kazooie thread, Probably because of our love for wacky, cartoony, animal platformer mascots and the genre.

If we can get 2 JRPG characters to favor Japan then I hope we can get another western platformer character to go alongside Banjo-Kazooie and what bigger name is there available other than Crash Bandicoot?

Rayman is the 2nd closest I can think of and would be cool with him, But Crash Bandicoot is a much bigger icon, has stronger legacy and will make a bigger impact globally (East & West).
It's a happy accident how the Grand Prix season passes got announced the same day Banjo & Kazooie came, I will say. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's the thing, it's gotten outdated already. Who knows how many more of these characters will come?

It's a happy accident how the Grand Prix season passes got announced the same day Banjo & Kazooie came, I will say. :)
Same with my man Eight from DQ8 and the F4 in UA3.

Activision basically shadowdropped the news around one hour before Nintendo’s E3.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I am glad banjo supporters are hopping on board. The more crash support, the better!

D

Deleted member

The DQ Heroes proved that characters like Coco or Fake Crash are possible as alts.
Yeah, but she might require completely different animations for some moves due to height/character differences. Fake Crash should definitely happen tho

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Food for thought

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Food for thought

Yes please, the stylish universe of Overwatch would fit right into Smash. Only other real option from Blizzard is Diablo.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm playing through Crash 3 at the moment, and I'm enjoying it more than Crash 1. The water levels are rather frustrating, especially when Crash dies in one hit (unlike what I'm used to from Mario, Sonic, and most other platformers), but the auto-runner levels aren't as bad, since the motorcycle ones don't cost you a life if you don't come in first.

I'm stuck in the motorcycle level in N. Tropy's area, partially because I can't figure out how to make sharp turns or swerve around the other racers while still keeping my speed. (I find that I have to let go of the accelerate button to turn precisely) Still, I'm making more progress here than in Crash 1 (I can't recall if I made it to the first bridge level or not) or Crash 2 (I think I was stuck in an auto-running polar bear level).

I'm hoping to beat Crash 3 before the Crash Team Racing remake comes out, though I sincerely doubt it. (note that I'm just aiming to beat the final boss, not to get all of the larger gems or time trial relics - I really hope that the white, red, yellow, etc. gems aren't required to access the final boss battle)

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Could you imagine having Crash Bandicoot alongside Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie? It'll be my childhood playing out right before my very eyes. It would blow my mind.

I can't ask Sakurai for anything else after Banjo, but if Crash were in I honestly would think I've died and went to heaven.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Crash is probably my only realistic want that's left. Though I have this gut feeling Banjo's going to be the highlight of this pass and the last two are going to kind of dwindle down compared to Banjo's hype. The way things have ended in the past for Smash speculators have generally kind of gone down that route.

However, if Crash does end up being one of the final two. It would be absolutely awesome for sure. I'm buying all the DLC characters individually anyway. But Banjo and Crash would for sure make the fighters pass worth it alone. It's arguably already so with Banjo. Don't mean any offense to Joker or the Dragon Quest heroes, but I am admittedly way more interested in playing as Banjo. And Crash is one of the few characters I legitimately want that I think are still possible.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Someone posted this on the Banjo-Kazooie social thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/ban...dream-come-true.446558/page-689#post-23402399

And it seems the reactions from both the West AND from Japan were positive over Banjo-Kazooie. Given Sakurai doesn't seem interested in bringing fighters that were exclusive to Japan, and something I have heard on these forums about characters from the west, I think Sakurai is into bringing characters who are both popular in the West and in Japan, of origin western or of Japan origin, into Smash Bros. mostly. Now this is just a guess, and I could be wrong, so feel free to point out any flaws in this, but with that said, I think Crash fits that bill of being popular in the West and the East or Japan, wouldn't you say? That doesn't mean necessarily he will get in, but still...

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm confident Crash is a potential candidate as one of the final two Fighters Pass characters. If you compare Banjo with Crash, it really boosts his odds with Crash's now and again very active IP, history with Nintendo and a recent Switch port.

StormC

Smash Hero
Someone posted this on the Banjo-Kazooie social thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/ban...dream-come-true.446558/page-689#post-23402399

And it seems the reactions from both the West AND from Japan were positive over Banjo-Kazooie. Given Sakurai doesn't seem interested in bringing fighters that were exclusive to Japan, and something I have heard on these forums about characters from the west, I think Sakurai is into bringing characters who are both popular in the West and in Japan, of origin western or of Japan origin, into Smash Bros. mostly. Now this is just a guess, and I could be wrong, so feel free to point out any flaws in this, but with that said, I think Crash fits that bill of being popular in the West and the East or Japan, wouldn't you say? That doesn't mean necessarily he will get in, but still...
I think Crash is the most likely western character for Smash. It just comes down to whether or not Nintendo or Sakurai wants him.

We're pretty much shooting in the dark for these last two characters.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think Crash is the most likely western character for Smash. It just comes down to whether or not Nintendo or Sakurai wants him.

We're pretty much shooting in the dark for these last two characters.
At least Crash makes a ton of sense right now at least!

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
So I got my top two characters for this game (King K. Rool and Banjo and Kazooie), dare I push this dream further with my very last pick?? Crash would complete the roster for me, although I do think Rayman should be in, too. Crash at least has the popularity in Japan. Here's hoping the three-way mascot battle can finally happen!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, lets try to come up with a stage for Crash. What Stage would you like them to do?

UserKev

Smash Champion
N. Sanity Beach is honestly the face of Crash levels and doesn't he even live apart of the level? Its the most logical pick.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It'd probably be N. Sanity Beach, but combine aspects of the other Crash levels into its design. Boulders that roll into the foreground and crush players who don't get out of the way, pitfalls, log traps, etc.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How about combine the best of both options by making the stage the Time Twister and having it warp you to different levels across the Crash series? You'd start out in the warp room and then a warp hole would appear. You'd then be taken to one of the following places:
  • N. Sanity Beach (Crash 1)
  • Snow Go (Crash 2)
  • Toad Village (Crash 3)
  • Hang Em' High (Crash 3)
  • Future Frenzy (Crash 3)
If playing on Omega/Battlefield, the background could depend on the stage music similar to the Mementos stage.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, only 4 days before Nitro-Fueled drops, so in honor of the big event, I'm doing a big ol' Twitter fan art dump today. So without further ado...

D9A5Pw1WwAAM9l8.jpg

D9A3ZrvXoAEhEvK.jpg

D8-E9Y0XoAIi4q7.jpg

D9EsQVzU4AIp6MG.jpg

D80qttGU0AAY9-X.jpg

D86TEHqXYAAerzd.png

D85xrkGU0AA3TZt.jpg

D9FUv04U4AAvyBH.jpg

D85KlqsWkAAkP2i.jpg

D83sIJ6WwAAYKqM.png

D85IiF1WkAE1Ul1.jpg

D85Bph_WwAAjJSL.jpg

D82P6ZqXYAAhRSA.jpg

D83or2zXoAAyGjt.jpg

D80snP0W4AApXxy.jpg

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, lets try to come up with a stage for Crash. What Stage would you like them to do?
How about the final boss stage from Crash 1? You know, the one on the blimp where you fight Cortex? His cortex could be burning int he background, or not, and Cortex himself will appear and fire blasts that have different effects. Some would slow the player down, some would paralyze, some would stun a characters like their shield broke, some would poison the characters if hit, and some just do damage. The characters would have to avoid Cortex as they fight, but some of the blast would actually be able to be knocked back at Cortex, damaging him. With enough blasts knocked back at him, Cortex would fall and be defeated, but would come back after a while.

What do you guys think?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I dislike scroll/wrap stages but its so brilliant in Crash's case. Future Frency could have amazing hazard functions.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Consider the following trailer idea.

We open on Mario constructing a course for Mario Maker 2. Instead of being joined by Luigi, however, Mario turns to find Toon Link further on in the stage, adding Rupees, Bokoblins and other Zelda elements.

Mario seems to be annoyed by this intrusion, and attempts to build more Mario elements up ahead, but Toon Link just rushes in and adds more Zelda elements to the scene.

And so these two proceed along the course, wrestling control of the theme from one another, until they come across a part of the course that has already been finished: multiple clusters of wooden crates.

Out of curiosity, Toon Link attempts to pick up a red crate. It begins counting down from 3 shortly afterwards. This startles Mario, which in turn startles Toon Link, who tosses the crate back onto the course... directly on top of a pile of Nitro crates. Both Mario and Toon Link are dramatically blown away by the resulting explosion. As they attempt to pick themselves up off from the ground, they are forced back down when a certain orange marsupial jumps on their heads in turn.

Striking a pose with a miniature box in his hand, Crash Bandicoot Goes N-Sane!

Luigi enters the scene, Poltergust in hand, ready to fight and avenge his brother. Crash also prepares to fight, in his own goofy way. Cut to gameplay reel.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
If Crash made it as one of the remaining DLC fighters, what are the chances of Coco being an alt for Crash? I don't remember the height difference between Crash and Coco in N-Sane Trilogy but I'm sure Sakurai could make them work as the same height.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Crash made it as one of the remaining DLC fighters, what are the chances of Coco being an alt for Crash? I don't remember the height difference between Crash and Coco in N-Sane Trilogy but I'm sure Sakurai could make them work as the same height.
I think the problem is their anatomy is too different and they have different animations. I'm not even sure she could be an Echo Fighter, honestly.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Can we please just focus on Crash? Coco would NOT fight in the same manner as Crash. I mean, unless she takes a hype pill.

D

Deleted member

Can we please just focus on Crash? Coco would NOT fight in the same manner as Crash. I mean, unless she takes a hype pill.
She does in N.Sane Trilogy, tbh.

Alongside Coco we could also get a Fake Crash alt.

UserKev

Smash Champion
How about we speculate Coco after Crash is in. She'd be neat, but I'm focused on Crash getting in at all right now.

Top Bottom