• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Looking at a couple of old polls, it seems Crash (and Rhythm Heaven too :3) has had some alright fighter support even in the Smash 4 era. Plus N Sane on the Switch sold alright(?) and Crash has popped up in that Famitsu 30th anniversary thing and is gonna have a song at some Japan games music festival this year, so maybe Japan still has a soft spot for Crash Bandikoose himself...

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/
They sure do, obviously. The last time it stopped getting games published over there, it was simply because Radical's Crash redesign was too radical for even Japan to successfully cutify.

Seriously, is there something Radical didn't mess up with Crash?

D

Deleted member

They sure do, obviously. The last time it stopped getting games published over there, it was simply because Radical's Crash redesign was too radical for even Japan to successfully cutify.

Seriously, is there something Radical didn't mess up with Crash?
They almost brought to the world a promising game called Crash Landed.
But it sadly got cancelled.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I just watched the first State of Play. I didn't expect anything and I was still disappointed (especially given how badass the recent Nindies was). CTR update said nothing about whether we'd get new characters or not.

Although the ability to trigger the characters' models to their PSX ones is rather neat.

D

Deleted member

Basically, we are getting a retro track and retro skins for each character, exclusive to the PS4 port.
Also, we are getting characters and tracks from Nitro Kart too which is dope.

Finally: Could I be added to the supporter list Opossum Opossum ?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or how about an alt? I definitely prefer having her as an echo, but with Joker presumably having a female alt. can Coco match the dimensions to be one as well?
She's a smidgen taller than him, but I imagine it wouldn't be too troublesome regardless since scale is readjusted for Smash. Only issue is Crash's head not having a neck.

Also, I noticed how much emphasis they've been placing on Crash, Coco and Cortex as the definitive trio of main characters, from the looks of the promo material, the PSX models and even the special edition's costumes being exclusive to them.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah they had to adjust the proportions of the Koopalings a bit to fit the Bowser Jr model, so maybe we could see that with Crash/Coco? Maybe a little leeway in the models like how Mario's wedding hat is bigger than usual? Though could the animations match at least for the most part?

Beyond that, a Fake Crash or Japanese Crash alt would also be appreciated!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty brazen to have a spoiler like that for a French article. That said, those replies to the Tweet are interesting...

No clue but everyone you might want to check the bandipedia website they got komodo moe tawna baby t plus all cnk characters as well as cnk bosses in unconfirmed but they all have the star and it says star new
https://crashbandicoot.fandom.com/wiki/Crash_Team_Racing_Nitro-Fueled

Now, I know that this is a fan-made wiki and that this may not mean anything, but it's something to keep in the back of the mind, just in case it does come to pass...

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So.. we got the Nitro Kart characters confirmed (and I suppose Spyro is TBA, since he wasn't part of the console versions); But we can go a step further! Even if that needs to be DLC, I don't think a 32 characters roster is that unlikely;

and of course.. currently we got Coco as the only female playable and that's kind of a bad look nowadays; So Nina, Pasadena and Tawna would be welcome additions.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well don't forget about CTR's trophy girls themselves, one of whom's epilogue specifically stated that wanted to race themselves as they were sick of giving out trophies and wanted to get some of their own!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well don't forget about CTR's trophy girls themselves, one of whom's epilogue specifically stated that wanted to race themselves as they were sick of giving out trophies and wanted to get some of their own!
>someone else here remembers the trophy girls, especially Ami's epilogue
075.jpg

I will say, it's good to see that the Wiki considered them as a possibility. In the meantime, I've been looking forward to how updated their in-game graphics will be, seeing as none of the demos have shown off the Winner's Circle.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Add me to the support list. I never got to play any of the Crash games growing up though I've been eyeing up the N' Sane Trilogy and will probably pick it up for Switch.

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
You guys think Crash, Coco, and Neo Cortex will be the only ones with retro skins, or will there be an option for everyone to look like their PS1 models?

Also, could I be added to the support list as well? Crash is tied to my earliest
gaming memories, and I'd love to see the crazy marsupial get in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You guys think Crash, Coco, and Neo Cortex will be the only ones with retro skins, or will there be an option for everyone to look like their PS1 models?
Just about. Crash, Coco and Cortex are the only ones getting space suit skins for the limited edition, so I expect that it would be no different in regards to the retro skins.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I actually didn't know about that little piece of lore :p .. but I think the flag girls will maintain their role; besides.. if one of them gets in as playable before, say, Tawna herself, I don't think that would be very well recieved.

I particularly wouldn't mind tho; But I'm hopeful for Nina, she's a very popular character ~

Space suit skins???
yeah, that's part of the Oxide Version of the game; unlocks immediately along Oxide's hovercraft; --it's on every console tho, and supposedly would be also normal unlockables in the standard edition.

the PS4 version is only getting the Retro skins, a Retro track (which I assume is just a skin for a regular track already in the game) and some stickers for your kart.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I actually didn't know about that little piece of lore :p .. but I think the flag girls will maintain their role; besides.. if one of them gets in as playable before, say, Tawna herself, I don't think that would be very well recieved.

I particularly wouldn't mind tho; But I'm hopeful for Nina, she's a very popular character ~

yeah, that's part of the Oxide Version of the game; unlocks immediately along Oxide's hovercraft; --it's on every console tho, and supposedly would be also normal unlockables in the standard edition.

the PS4 version is only getting the Retro skins, a Retro track (which I assume is just a skin for a regular track already in the game) and some stickers for your kart.
Make them swap between the sexualised Bandicoot ladies like the Yoshi colours in Mario Kart 8!

And a retro track, huh? Reminds me of that "flashback" mode CNK was going to have with old CTR tracks. Can't wait to see what it looks like.
I've also heard that sadly, we'd be losing the antigravity elements of the CNK tracks?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah, it would be fair for the series' first lady to get in first.

And I'm enjoying the inherent hilarity that she would finally be in the same game as the similar-looking Isabella. That alone would be worth the price of admission. :p

Last edited:

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
Nice! I'm glad they're adding Nitro Kart tracks and characters! That means there will at least be 31 tracks in all! I still hope they'll add in a few brand new tracks and Crash characters that didn't appear in CNK.

CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia that roster is excellent. Hopefully Spyro and the Nitro Kart bosses will be added too! Nothing wrong with having more variety, plus Geary was my favorite boss so I'd love to play as him. This game is looking better and better the more news I hear about it.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Nice! I'm glad they're adding Nitro Kart tracks and characters! That means there will at least be 31 tracks in all! I still hope they'll add in a few brand new tracks and Crash characters that didn't appear in CNK.

CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia that roster is excellent. Hopefully Spyro and the Nitro Kart bosses will be added too! Nothing wrong with having more variety, plus Geary was my favorite boss so I'd love to play as him. This game is looking better and better the more news I hear about it.
I really like Geary too! But Nash would be my favorite boss (much better than the Land Shark we would get in the 2010 attempt of rebooting CTR). But I don't think they'll fill up the roster with the bosses.. Even though they were playable in GBA/N-Gage version (and that's the reason its not fully guarantee that we'll get Spyro too) And I really wanted big fat Velo instead the real and small form one :p.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Yo! Not sure if I've posted here yet, but Crash is in my top 5 most wanted characters, and has been since Brawl. I grew up with the PS1, and both CTR and Crash 2 were my ****. I'm massively a supporter and think he has a fair shot at making DLC.

If Crash characters were to be added as spirits alongside his inclusion, what fighters could you see representing the characters?

I can imagine Incineroar for Tiny and a brown K. Rool for Dingodile, Maybe Dr Mario for N. Gin?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Source please?
Also pretty sure N. Sane also had the thing of "two games need to be downloaded first" and that still got on Switch.
Nah, N. Sane came with all 3 games on disc.

EDIT: If Nina gets in CTR, I genuinely hope they use her Radical Entertainment design. That's honestly the only good thing to come from that era, and she'll certainly have that voice, as N. Brio has his voice from that era.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Guess who got conditional choice in Delzethin's roster talk!
(note: contains talk of a certain character leak, but he points out when to skip over if you don't want to hear about it)

Pretty cool to see Crash as a viable candidate after all this time, though I don't quite understand why LLoyd has a more reasonable spot in this video than him...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Count me in as a supporter.
Crash has a place in my heart since he's part of my childhood.

D

Deleted member

CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia

Crunch has been apparently confirmed through an interview.

And it seemingly was a legit one, I made sure of it.

Edit: this is the interview

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Throw me on the supporter list! I'm not sure about what Crash's chances are realistically, but he would be an absolutely welcome surprise; and complete the 90's mascot trifecta with Mario and Sonic

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Pretty cool moveset someone made. Using the Twinsanity throws would be a great idea, and why not have references from all over the franchise including the Twinsanity punch and Titans moves??

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia

Crunch has been apparently confirmed through an interview.

And it seemingly was a legit one, I made sure of it.

Edit: this is the interview
I liked how the director knowingly chuckled right before confirming. Yay, we're getting new racers! It makes me wonder if Crunch's debut Wrath of Cortex may get rebuilt from the ground up at some point.

Also, I find it ironic that they removed anti-gravity from the CNK tracks, in a time where Mario Kart incorporated it.

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Yeah definitely put me down as a supporter, I’ve been a crash4smash fan since day 1. I’d never ask sakurai for anything else ever again

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I liked how the director knowingly chuckled right before confirming. Yay, we're getting new racers! It makes me wonder if Crunch's debut Wrath of Cortex may get rebuilt from the ground up at some point.

Also, I find it ironic that they removed anti-gravity from the CNK tracks, in a time where Mario Kart incorporated it.
Gotta keep it in line with CTR's gameplay I guess. If they did recreate Wrath of Cortex that'd be the funniest thing ever (though we desperately need a new game next...)

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I posted this over on the Banjo thread, but I wanted to share this here:

With the glitches involving Duck Hunt breaking All-Star mode, it led to the possibility that maybe he's being used as a base character to build out Banjo, since something similar happened with Bowser Jr. and he's a 'base' for Piranha Plant, just like Ike and ZSS were bases for Cloud and Bayonetta

Duck Hunt's height has even been shown off in this image for the potential of Banjo

1554310586723.png

I tried to think of who else could be built outwards from Duck Hunt to eliminate any possibilities and Crash came to mind

1554310543637.png

A crude mock-up to be sure, but I thought was interesting to see how Crash could theoretically be built outwards from Hunt

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gotta keep it in line with CTR's gameplay I guess. If they did recreate Wrath of Cortex that'd be the funniest thing ever (though we desperately need a new game next...)
I'm honestly not sure they're ready to make the leap quite yet, especially given that newer gamers might be confused by the awesome-looking Bandicoot with B.A. Barracus' voice that came out of nowhere.

Besides, I'm worried about whether Activision will hold up with all those layoffs they've been doing.

Top Bottom