• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
The Japanese market is still pretty enthusiastic about Crash despite of the PS4 sales. You still see a bunch of tweets about Crash in japanese and Nintendo/SEGA is doing a good job promoting the Switch version there. The Neko Mario show even featured the game recently with a quiz.

I think the fact that N. Sane Trilogy just released in Japan on Switch is going to be a helpful marketing tool for when Crash is announced as DLC next year; as I said Nintendo is trying to push the game on relevancy even months after release and for Japan is now brand new.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The Japanese market is still pretty enthusiastic about Crash despite of the PS4 sales. You still see a bunch of tweets about Crash in japanese and Nintendo/SEGA is doing a good job promoting the Switch version there. The Neko Mario show even featured the game recently with a quiz.

I think the fact that N. Sane Trilogy just released in Japan on Switch is going to be a helpful marketing tool for when Crash is announced as DLC next year; as I said Nintendo is trying to push the game on relevancy even months after release and for Japan is now brand new.
I don't even understand japanese, but Bowser's voice tone when being defeated by Mario in Mario Party minigames made me laugh a lot

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So Crash might actually have a really good chance if he's the western third party rep that Senjougahara__Hitagi is claiming is DLC.

Well it's him or Rayman anyway.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77188739

I got it from this post here.

- Hitagi has heard other character names. However, when pressed for details, he stated that "I can't disclose rn" and added that the characters were from "all over the spectrum" of video games instead of just being potential Square-Enix reps. He hinted at another Western-made character.
To be honest, after reading that part again, I'm not sure that necessarily means a western character, but everyone seems to think it does.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I wasn't aware of this Hitagi rumour but frankly I'm not buying.. this is the person claiming about a GranBlue character, right? That doesn't seem right, especially if Nintendo is picking the characters, why would them chose a CyGames owned franchise over Dragalia Lost which they actually collaborated to create it with CyGames at first place?

in fact, even the earlier Vergeban claims I'm not totally believing, despite of his track record for the base game.. a "Minecraft content" could be very well Spirits from the game and Geno could be the Square-Enix DLC character, which could have been a early consideration for the base game and pushed over for after release (thus, Vergeban having a chance of knowning about that stuff).

But we only got the confirmation that the characters were pick last week, not even Sakurai was probably aware of the choices Nintendo made.. so I doubt anyone claiming to know the characters beforehand. ... however, if we had to have to determine the popular western characters that would be between Steve (for my despare) and Crash, since these the actually with certain appeal in Japan.. I don't think any other option is viable or at least that likely, all depends of Nintendo's view of marketing the character in Smash along with the company that owns said character.

Last edited:

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
Can you add me as a supporter please? Opossum Opossum Crash Bandicoot is awesome. He has always been one of my favorite video game characters.
Back in the day my brother owned Crash 1-3. From what I remember I didn't play much since whenever I played I would consistently get game overs and would end up getting discouraged. I still loved watching my bro play it though. What I remember the most was laughing at all the different death scenes.

Now Crash Team Racing was my game! Me and my bro played that game to death. I loved everything about this game. The story, the characters, the tracks, the music, and of course the trophy girls (we thought Isabella was Tawna). The only flaw I can think of is that Oxide wasn't playable but I'll let that pass since he probably put too much strain on the game.

Crash Bash was good but due to it's difficulty I could never get past the second world as a kid. Fortunately, I bought the game again (the Japanese version for Fake Crash) a few years ago and got everything except for the platinum relics.

When Nitro Kart came out I was a bit disappointed in a few things: the game had less tracks than CTR, you couldn't unlock the bosses or play as Spyro in the Gamecube version, and the gameplay felt slower and clunkier. Also....I didn't really like Crash's voice in this. The game was still okay overall but no where near as good as CTR.

Crash Tag Team Racing was great. The racing was okay and the platforming was good, but the story, gags, and die-o-ramas stood out for me the most. Watching Crash commit mischief acts as well as getting himself killed in so many ways was quite funny. My siblings and I would always watch all the die-o-ramas before going into multiplayer.

Crash Boom Bang was....different? I actually didn't hate this game and played it quite a lot when it first came out but seeing Pura and Polar as anthropomorphic animals was weird.

Fast forward to the present and I'm now playing The Crash Trilogy on the Switch (currently on Crash 1 and struggling). This game is so fun and the graphical improvements are stunning, but the game is very difficult (at least for me). I won't rest until I beat all three games though.

Crash 1,2, and 3 - 10/10 (very nostalgic)
Crash Team Racing - 10/10 (simply amazing)
Crash Bash - 8/10 (fun but really difficult)
Crash Nitro Kart - 7/10 (good game but a bit lackluster)
Crash Tag Team Racing - 9/10 (good variety and Crash was funny in this)
Crash Boom Bang - 7/10 (fun but strange)
Crash Trilogy - 10/10 (great remake but it's really hard. I suck at it)

I don't know how much of a chance Crash has to become a Smash character but if he did become dlc I would be ecstatic and he would of course become an instant main. The thing with Crash is that for me, I can easily picture him in Smash. It's weird cause I don't have a moveset in mind but I can easily picture him there on the battle field fighting against all the other all-stars.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can you add me as a supporter please? Opossum Opossum Crash Bandicoot is awesome. He has always been one of my favorite video game characters.
Back in the day my brother owned Crash 1-3. From what I remember I didn't play much since whenever I played I would consistently get game overs and would end up getting discouraged. I still loved watching my bro play it though. What I remember the most was laughing at all the different death scenes.

Now Crash Team Racing was my game! Me and my bro played that game to death. I loved everything about this game. The story, the characters, the tracks, the music, and of course the trophy girls (we thought Isabella was Tawna). The only flaw I can think of is that Oxide wasn't playable but I'll let that pass since he probably put too much strain on the game.

Crash Bash was good but due to it's difficulty I could never get past the second world as a kid. Fortunately, I bought the game again (the Japanese version for Fake Crash) a few years ago and got everything except for the platinum relics.

When Nitro Kart came out I was a bit disappointed in a few things: the game had less tracks than CTR, you couldn't unlock the bosses or play as Spyro in the Gamecube version, and the gameplay felt slower and clunkier. Also....I didn't really like Crash's voice in this. The game was still okay overall but no where near as good as CTR.

Crash Tag Team Racing was great. The racing was okay and the platforming was good, but the story, gags, and die-o-ramas stood out for me the most. Watching Crash commit mischief acts as well as getting himself killed in so many ways was quite funny. My siblings and I would always watch all the die-o-ramas before going into multiplayer.

Crash Boom Bang was....different? I actually didn't hate this game and played it quite a lot when it first came out but seeing Pura and Polar as anthropomorphic animals was weird.

Fast forward to the present and I'm now playing The Crash Trilogy on the Switch (currently on Crash 1 and struggling). This game is so fun and the graphical improvements are stunning, but the game is very difficult (at least for me). I won't rest until I beat all three games though.

Crash 1,2, and 3 - 10/10 (very nostalgic)
Crash Team Racing - 10/10 (simply amazing)
Crash Bash - 8/10 (fun but really difficult)
Crash Nitro Kart - 7/10 (good game but a bit lackluster)
Crash Tag Team Racing - 9/10 (good variety and Crash was funny in this)
Crash Boom Bang - 7/10 (fun but strange)
Crash Trilogy - 10/10 (great remake but it's really hard. I suck at it)

I don't know how much of a chance Crash has to become a Smash character but if he did become dlc I would be ecstatic and he would of course become an instant main. The thing with Crash is that for me, I can easily picture him in Smash. It's weird cause I don't have a moveset in mind but I can easily picture him there on the battle field fighting against all the other all-stars.
I would, but the OP crashes whenever I try to edit it for some reason.

Fitting for the Crash thread, at least. :p

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
But we only got the confirmation that the characters were pick last week, not even Sakurai was probably aware of the choices Nintendo made.. so I doubt anyone claiming to know the characters beforehand. ... however, if we had to have to determine the popular western characters that would be between Steve (for my despare) and Crash, since these the actually with certain appeal in Japan.. I don't think any other option is viable or at least that likely, all depends of Nintendo's view of marketing the character in Smash along with the company that owns said character.
Actually, it was a list of choices from Nintedo that Sakurai picked from, right?

Does Rayman have little popularity in Japan?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m hopeful for Crash’s chances, it’s odd how he isn’t talked about that much in Smash speculation and didn’t rank very high in the Ballot(Batman ranked higher than him, not kidding).

Heck, this thread hasn’t even reached a thousand replies yet.

It would be the most hilariously ironic thing to have him, Snake, and Cloud all playable in a Nintendo system instead of PSASBR.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I’m hopeful for Crash’s chances, it’s odd how he isn’t talked about that much in Smash speculation and didn’t rank very high in the Ballot(Batman ranked higher than him, not kidding).

Heck, this thread hasn’t even reached a thousand replies yet.

It would be the most hilariously ironic thing to have him, Snake, and Cloud all playable in a Nintendo system instead of PSASBR.
Well the original ballot was at a time Crash was still on hiatus, before N Sane Trilogy revitalised him.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So Crash got 15# in a reddit DLC picks survey. That's... ok I guess? Spyro also appeared on it as well at 29# which suprised me.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
It's natural.. you see, most of the characters above Crash are from past fake rumours that gave people hope. And some of them like Isaac, Waluigi and Rex are straight up deconfirmed.

It's cool seeing Crash on top still, even if you don't descart all the fat of this list. I'm pretty confident on his chances

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

Add me to the support for Crash Bandicoot. Ever since I played the N Sane Trilogy on the Switch (never played the original PS1 trilogy), I really began to like the Bandicoot (Coco as an Echo for Crash please. Probably not gonna happen, but that would be cool ;) ). I think Crash is a character that really fits well into Smash and Activision (despite not being a fan of their company) has yet to represented in Smash from my knowledge. It would be really nice to revive the late 90s wars when Crash was considered a rival to :ultmario:&:ultsonic:. With that said, I support this character. Not necessarily my most wanted (I still want Rayman the most), but it would be nice to have him. :)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It's natural.. you see, most of the characters above Crash are from past fake rumours that gave people hope. And some of them like Isaac, Waluigi and Rex are straight up deconfirmed.

It's cool seeing Crash on top still, even if you don't descart all the fat of this list. I'm pretty confident on his chances
What are you representing with the world "fat"? I didn't really get the meaning of it in the sentence

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What are you representing with the world "fat"? I didn't really get the meaning of it in the sentence
"Trim the fat" means to remove what isn't needed. In this case, it would presumably include characters who are already confirmed as assist trophies (seeing as it's rather unlikely that they'd be made into DLC) and characters who simply won't happen, like Goku.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I know everyone got their grudge with Activision.. being as they treat the consumers or their franchises,.. I'm pretty much not really into their IPs, aside Crash, Spyro and Overwatch and I do blame Call of Duty the oversaturation of FPSs and gray-looking games in the last two generations. But all that aside, they kinda deserves a spot in Smash, imo.. they're one of the oldest 3rd Party companies still in actividity of the industry. They made games back on the very first models of Atari systems and arcades before that.

Sure, probably to represent best that era of gaming they'd have to bring something like Pitfall Harry, Kaboom or Commando, but Crash is probably the best known, strill relevant and most impactant gaming icon they got.

I wouldn't expect other Activision IPs, especially the older ones, to get some kind of representation in Smash (music or Spirits), most of being a DLC inclusion, but I'd like to think that Crash also brings that piece of history along all his own merits.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly, looking at DLC really makes me think Crash is a strong inclusion. Gonna pull a BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and type up a huge analysis.

When looking into the DLC for Smash Ultimate, we have to realize the time period plays a crucial detail. Third parties are likely to be decided upon an negotiated earlier than Nintendo characters. The data within Smash 4's patches would allude to this. Bayonetta, Cloud, and Ryu were clearly planned before Corrin. As such, it would make sense for use to assume that if a third party character was chosen, they would have been chosen within a 2017-2018 timeframe.

Crash's revival was announced at E3 2016 to massive applause, and his revival came out in June of 2017. Plans for the ports were on their way likely in 2017 as well, given that Crash was a timed exclusive. This lines up well with the assumption that the DLC characters were looked at after the project plan was finalized (Around early 2016) it would imply that Crash would potentially be on the radar for Nintendo to consider as a guest character.

Looking at patterns and past statements is a mixed bag for Crash. One one hand, Sakurai has stated that he considers Smash this grand celebration of Japanese video gaming. While Crash is notably Western in origin, he has a sizable following in Japan and his PS1 games were very popular there. The fact that currently stages and music come with the character could imply a third party character. Corrin in Smash 4 did not come with a stage, while the third party characters did. Looking at past patterns is always flawed, but it would suggest that third parties would be more likely.

Crash certainly has enough star power to be pushed for Smash. His series has pushed over 56 million units in sales. In smash, he is only beaten by :ultmario::ultpikachu::ultcloud::ultmiifighters::ultdk::ultsonic: in sales. Having a recent revival, Crash is at a height of popularity he has not had since the 90s. In the 90s, Crash was a king. He was Playstations mascot. While Spyro may have a claim to that crown as well, Crash came first and held that crown first. There is a reason N Sane came before Reignited. Crash is popular across the world. While Crash conceivably did not do strongly on the Ballot, as there was not much of a campaign for him at the time, in modern times Crash is spoken of a lot. Crash is one of the most popular characters in Japan for Smash, being within the top ten. He is popular within the west as well.

Nintendo and Activision have a decent relationship. Nintendo was willing to let Activision use :ultbowser::ultdk: for Skylanders. Activision also has consistently released games for each of Nintendo's systems, save for the Virtual Boy. Activision would likely be a big enough company for Nintendo to notice, as they are one of the largest companies in gaming.

Overall, I feel Crash has a solid chance of getting in as DLC. His star power and the timing of selection benefit him greatly. I feel that he is a clear frontrunner in terms of Western Third Parties, alongside Rayman.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Third-parties being chosen around the time Rex's game was announced, I doubt it. It was probably around 2015-2016 I bet. I personally think the timeframe DLC was chosen was around the same time as the base game newcomers, though the announcement of Crash in E3 2016 does open a small window of opportunity.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Third-parties being chosen around the time Rex's game was announced, I doubt it. It was probably around 2015-2016 I bet. I personally think the timeframe DLC was chosen was around the same time as the base game newcomers, though the announcement of Crash in E3 2016 does open a small window of opportunity.
But the base game project proposal was not even finalized until Smash 4 DLC was almost over. I feel that we have a sizable window of time. The earliest I feel that third parties were even considered would be around July of 2017, and even then I think they were looked at later. I feel that third parties were finalized around E3 this year.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
All I can say about the third-party decision timeframe is that I doubt it.

Maybe we should wait for the new Sakurai column to pop up on SG. Maybe we can get a clearer picture soon.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Crash revival was at E3 2016, and while the N. Sane Trilogy wouldn't hit the PlayStation 4 until June of the following year, they got Skylanders Imaginators by October of 2016, and as a multiplatform. Crash was sold along with the PS3 and PS4 versions but wasn't an exclusive character; him and Cortex worked in every other system, including the Wii U version. Later they sold the figurines seperated of the PlayStation bundle.

Then you get Skylanders Imaginators once again as a Switch launch title, with Crash and Cortex compatible (and the ability of storing Skylanders without the need to tap them in the portal, was praised as the definitive version of the game).

Reports of N. Sane Trilogy being a multiplatform title dates way before it releasing on PS4, btw. And some insiders brought that the Switch version especifally was already running back in October 2017.

Last but not least, you have Nintendo showing the game with big fanfare during the March 2018 Direct (the same one that unvailed Smash Ultimate), being the responsibles for Activision coming aftwards and stating that the game would be on Xbox One and PC as well.

With the Switch version releasing just now in Japan (October 2018), I think the timing is pretty good for Crash, if the point is to advertaise big current and relevant releases; even early 2019 the title will still be pretty new for a big slice of the audiance.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Crash revival was at E3 2016, and while the N. Sane Trilogy wouldn't hit the PlayStation 4 until June of the following year, they got Skylanders Imaginators by October of 2016, and as a multiplatform. Crash was sold along with the PS3 and PS4 versions but wasn't an exclusive character; him and Cortex worked in every other system, including the Wii U version. Later they sold the figurines seperated of the PlayStation bundle.

Then you get Skylanders Imaginators once again as a Switch launch title, with Crash and Cortex compatible (and the ability of storing Skylanders without the need to tap them in the portal, was praised as the definitive version of the game).

Reports of N. Sane Trilogy being a multiplatform title dates way before it releasing on PS4, btw. And some insiders brought that the Switch version especifally was already running back in October 2017.

Last but not least, you have Nintendo showing the game with big fanfare during the March 2018 Direct (the same one that unvailed Smash Ultimate), being the responsibles for Activision coming aftwards and stating that the game would be on Xbox One and PC as well.

With the Switch version releasing just now in Japan (October 2018), I think the timing is pretty good for Crash, if the point is to advertaise big current and relevant releases; even early 2019 the title will still be pretty new for a big slice of the audiance.
This post is giving me deja vu...

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I guess I could have said something similar in the past xD;
--but it's everytime the subject of timing is in question, it's good to bring up a summary. Some really think that Crash only appeared on Switch (or any Nintendo system really) at N. Sane Trilogy release.. but things were already cooking up way before that.

just the fact that Nintendo allowed their characters crossover with Crash through Skylanders, is already something worth to point out. It's usually the other way around.

Timing was really against Crash for the base game, and I was the first to admit that.. but now with the N. Sane Trilogy in Japan, a month before the DLC was locked on? .. hm, that's pretty good.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Crash has a decent shot

I can see Nintendo picking crash to advertise insane trilogy even more

As for the square rep.

Hmmm, I didn’t think f that Minecraft Steve or creaper or whatever could simply be a spirit

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Timing was really against Crash for the base game, and I was the first to admit that.. but now with the N. Sane Trilogy in Japan, a month before the DLC was locked on? .. hm, that's pretty good.
Yeah so was the DLC's 3rd party negotiations only recently finalised with Sakurais tweet, meaning they started negotiations a year or so ago? Does that look good for Crash?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yeah so was the DLC's 3rd party negotiations only recently finalised with Sakurais tweet, meaning they started negotiations a year or so ago? Does that look good for Crash?
It could go either way, really.. I think negotiations most likely were already set in stone back when the Switch version of N. Sane Trilogy was releasing in western territories.. But if we're just getting negotations ready, I could see Crash being one of the last DLC characters revealed.

I mean.. we're not even sure if they actually need 100% a closed deal to start developing a character. These things could take some months until the agreement is complete but if they got a greenlit to start, they could already have something in the works.

I think the most likely scenario is that all the 3rd Party DLC guests were already being considered mid base game development, but they only got the actual firmed closed deal by this month. That wouldn't be a harm for Crash, especially with Nintendo and Activision close together since Skylanders Superchargers.

Can be anything.. and personally, I'm not expecting a Crash game next year.. (maybe an announcement; and I hope it's not a remake of any sorts), but man.. I wish it's something to do with Smash..

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
hm, what about amiibo? I know Nintendo manufacture them (when it's part of their lines of games, like Smash or Super Mario, unlike Monster Hunter Stories or Shovel Knight lines).. but at least some kind of license Activision would need to provide.

It's most likely not related to Smash though, especially Crash being so big on merchandising once again.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I made a more comprehensive and honest timeline of releases of all the Crash games in Nintendo systems (without double-packages that the GBA got). It's simple but sumes the story:

games like Crash of the Titans on GBA and DS are different from the Wii version.

As you can see every main Crash game is available in Nintendo hardware, with the exception of only TwinSanity (which had a GameCube version planned but cancelled, due of how messy the development of that game was at first place). And Nintendo is the only other place where Crash got exclusive titles; --even The Wrath of Cortex got an exclusive mini-game by connecting the GBA (it's called Crash Bandicoot Blast).

All that said, N. Sane Trilogy is probably the biggest splash Crash ever made on Nintendo consoles since The Wrath of Cortex (which sold pretty well and it was a big mark in the history, with a mascot known by a rival company having a title released on GameCube, as also seen with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle). Nintendo recognizes him as a gaming icon, and that alone already helps a lot when Smash is all about the biggest gaming icons ever created.

Top Bottom