• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As of now, I wouldn't mind seeing Crash as an Assist Trophy. Obviously, he would use his signature spin attack, and maybe footstool players. I think he at least deserves that much, since he was quite popular back in the day, and that his games are being brought to the Switch.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
As of now, I wouldn't mind seeing Crash as an Assist Trophy. Obviously, he would use his signature spin attack, and maybe footstool players. I think he at least deserves that much, since he was quite popular back in the day, and that his games are being brought to the Switch.
That would be pretty disapointing

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bomberman's one thing (seeing as Konami has a character in the game - it's still annoying, but it's not as bad as it could be), but it would be even worse to reach out to Activision in order to get permission to use Crash in Smash, give him animations and an in-game model... and make him an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman's one thing (seeing as Konami has a character in the game - it's still annoying, but it's not as bad as it could be), but it would be even worse to reach out to Activision in order to get permission to use Crash in Smash, give him animations and an in-game model... and make him an assist trophy.
Where did this one-fighter-per-3rd-party-company myth come from? Capcom owns both Mega Man & Ryu. One-fighter-per-3rd-party-franchise would be more accurate. Bomberman should've got in.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Where did this one-fighter-per-3rd-party-company myth come from? Capcom owns both Mega Man & Ryu. One-fighter-per-3rd-party-franchise would be more accurate. Bomberman should've got in.
I think he was referring to the fact that Nintendo already reached out to Konami for a character at least, so Bomberman wasn't much extra effort for the purpose of making an AT, whereas Crash being a frontrunner from Activision becoming a AT would prettymuch mean reaching out to Activision just for an AT.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think he was referring to the fact that Nintendo already reached out to Konami for a character at least, so Bomberman wasn't much extra effort for the purpose of making an AT, whereas Crash being a frontrunner from Activision becoming a AT would prettymuch mean reaching out to Activision just for an AT.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was going for.

Also, quick question for everyone - I've never played the original Crash trilogy, but I'm getting the N. Sane Trilogy on Switch tomorrow. Would it be best for me to start with the first game, or jump into the second or third? I assume it's like Sonic, where story takes a backseat to gameplay and I can start at any of the games, and I've heard that the first game is quite tough. ("the Dark Souls of platforming" seems like an exaggeration, but precision platforming and three dimensions rarely seems to mesh well)

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

Also, quick question for everyone - I've never played the original Crash trilogy, but I'm getting the N. Sane Trilogy on Switch tomorrow. Would it be best for me to start with the first game, or jump into the second or third? I assume it's like Sonic, where story takes a backseat to gameplay and I can start at any of the games, and I've heard that the first game is quite tough. ("the Dark Souls of platforming" seems like an exaggeration, but precision platforming and three dimensions rarely seems to mesh well)
Well, story isn't really a big factor in the series, so it's not a thing that will force you to start with the first game.

However, I would start with the first game and play at least the first 6 levels (including the first boss) before moving on to other games. Those levels aren't that hard and they will give you a basic grasp of how crash plays. In crash 2 and 3, he has additional moves that aren't in 1, and i feel like it would be an easier transition if you get the basics first and them try those other moves iin the other games.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet

The basic arguable structure is that the first game is the hardest of the trilogy even if you are simply aiming to complete the levels without the extra rewards you achieve for beating each level flawlessly. In regards to the plotlines, Crash 1's sequels start off with how each previous game ended (E.G: first cutscene when you start off Crash 2 shows what happened in the ending of Crash 1), it's not massively story-driven, but it could feel more satisfying to neatly plow through each title in their original order. If you're good at memorizing the plots, it shouldn't be a problem to not start off with Crash 1.

Back to the difficulty aspect, one other good reason to start off with Crash 1 is that the controls feel more ''basic''. Simple as running, jumping and spinning. In Crash 2 the bandicoot was given extra abilities such as sliding or crouching, even more abilities are earned in Crash 3. Once you've mastered the first game (it will feel much more step-by-step with how you progress, since the levels are laid out more like a map such as Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario Bros. 3) and the terrifying obstacles you come across as the difficulty increases, I believe you will enjoy the second and third games after even more for the additional benefits, and to learn how the bandicoot ''evolved'' per-say.

Enjoy the trilogy! The replay-ability lasts a good while (I'm still trying to fully complete everything since I bought the game when it launched).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Played the first level of Crash briefly - one thing I learned is that the game is going to be hard to beat 100%! (I tried breaking all of the boxes in the first level, but I couldn't even pull that off due to the fixed camera making depth perception difficult)

I'll focus on beating the game, as opposed to getting 100% on it.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
what if they got Crash in, also got an assist trophy from Activision, and it was spyro
I would be fine with whatever as long as Crash makes it in as a playable character with or without Spyro. I love Spyro a lot and I think he deserves to be in Smash, but not before Crash. If they both make it in together as playable then ok even better! But in the end, Crash is one of the most recognizable and a very popular videogame mascots around the level of Mario, Sonic, Pacman and Megaman. Spyro is also up there, but he has always been like a Donkey Kong for Nintendo and Crash was the Mario of PlayStation.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
what if they got Crash in, also got an assist trophy from Activision, and it was spyro
As much as I'd love to have both, this might be more likely. I don't rule out Spyro being released as simultaneous DLC with Crash since they'd appeal to the same audience, but Crash definitely comes first.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
If I have to be honest, I've only played Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. But, I'm planning on getting Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy for my PS4. I support!

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Idk. Nintendo would already be going out on a limb by putting Crash in the game - a character whose popularity is far past his prime. I have difficulty imagining them throwing in Spyro too, even as an assist trophy. My gut feeling is telling me it's just not his time yet. His inclusion would be awesome, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I wouldn't even get my hopes up for Crash.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Just bought the Crash Trilogy for Switch. Time to finally play this trilogy in full while hoping for his inclusion in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Let me tell you a little story.

Back when i was a kid (im 8 months younger than the Smash series itself), my father bought me a PS1 instead of a PS2 for some reason (maybe he just heard Playstation and forgot the 2) and he bought a bootleg disc of the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy (bootlegs were really common in my country, my father was......... protective of money to put it softly and it wasn't until 2013 that i managed to support the official releases) and that was the first exposure i had to Crash Bandicoot.

Later, my father also bought a Bootleg Disc that contained Wrath of Cortex, Twinsanity and Nitro Kart, and he later bought both the PS2 and Wii versions of Crash of the Titans that also were pirated (the first time i ever "double Dipped" on a game) and because of all this exposure, i became a Crash Fan.

Around 2010, i managed to play Brawl (again, a pirated version, and in this one i couldn't even play SSE or else a error message popped up) and i imagined Crash in Smash, and this was even BEFORE Smash 4 was announced in 2011.

That was the earliest moment in my life that i remember wishing for a newcomer, and as far as i remember it was the first time i ever did someting like that.

So there you go, Crash was the first character that i ever wanted in Smash. Needless to say, due to my desire to support the official releases since i was 13 has only grown much stronger so i HAD to get the N. Sane Trilogy, and it was the only game that REALLY made me have any interest in the PS4 at all, but since it was released on Switch i got that version.

Simon Belmont is my most wanted 3rd party (and my most wanted character in general), but after Bomberman's Assist reveal, the only other third party character that i have any interest nowadays is this little fella, since he was a childhood favorite of mine.

So you can put me in the support list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I was hoping for a Crash reveal at CEO but was unfortunate to see it not happen. Maybe something this month? What would be a good date for an announcement?

SonicMario

Smash Master
I was hoping for a Crash reveal at CEO but was unfortunate to see it not happen. Maybe something this month? What would be a good date for an announcement?
I'd still say somewhere post-release as DLC. Spots are scarce, I just don't think Crash could of made it in time. Would love to be wrong, but that's how I feel anyway.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Not until DLC. The project plan was completed months before N-Sane was announced, and Crash's future was still uncertain at the time in spite of the rumors.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
The remakes creations were known during 2015 though if I recall. Hopefully he still makes the base roster if hes chosen

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The remakes creations were known during 2015 though if I recall. Hopefully he still makes the base roster if hes chosen
It was just rumors back at the very tail-end of 2015. Earlier that year, it was just Naughty Dog saying they'd like to see it happen but they didn't think it was viable.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Ok guys, take a look at this: https://twitter.com/Ruben_dal/status/1013925354682101760?s=19

This really worries me about Crash's chances, because I'm not really sure if he did well on the ballot at the time because he was dead.
It will depend on the way Sakurai decided to add the characters: if he decided to add all of the most popular ones from the ballot on the base roster and add DLC later based on another ballot or some other way them Crash might have a chance as DLC, but, if he planned to eventually add those characters while putting some of them on the base roster and others as DLC them i fear for Crash chances.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That would be mighty fine for me. Historically, Spyro never did quite as well as Crash in Japan (due to somehow botching at least one of the first few Spyro games in the transition), so having him in Smash as an AT would be the first step to reinvigorating interest in him over there.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Ok guys, take a look at this: https://twitter.com/Ruben_dal/status/1013925354682101760?s=19

This really worries me about Crash's chances, because I'm not really sure if he did well on the ballot at the time because he was dead.
It will depend on the way Sakurai decided to add the characters: if he decided to add all of the most popular ones from the ballot on the base roster and add DLC later based on another ballot or some other way them Crash might have a chance as DLC, but, if he planned to eventually add those characters while putting some of them on the base roster and others as DLC them i fear for Crash chances.
Should've not voted for Karate Joe... (Not that I don't still want a Rhythm Heaven rep in!)

Not that they've legally obligated to do another ballot for Smash Ultimate but if this is true, it's kind of unfair when the ballot wasn't specifically marketed as being not for Smash 4. Surely they wouldn't completely ignore character choices now relevant that they didn't forsee in 2015 or whenever, at least for stuff Nintendo might be marketing only now (like a Xenoblade 2 character or something). At least for DLC, surely they wouldn't deny taking a more recent look at character potential, with stuff like Crash hopefully getting their attention and making them consider an inclusion?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Should've not voted for Karate Joe... (Not that I don't still want a Rhythm Heaven rep in!)

Not that they've legally obligated to do another ballot for Smash Ultimate but if this is true, it's kind of unfair when the ballot wasn't specifically marketed as being not for Smash 4. Surely they wouldn't completely ignore character choices now relevant that they didn't forsee in 2015 or whenever, at least for stuff Nintendo might be marketing only now (like a Xenoblade 2 character or something). At least for DLC, surely they wouldn't deny taking a more recent look at character potential, with stuff like Crash hopefully getting their attention and making them consider an inclusion?
If it helps, the Remastered Trilogy did get released in Japan. And yes, it has a cutified Crash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Again too late for base but DLC is still no different because they will take for account the games that didn't exist during the ballot times

Besides the ballot choices are probably for the base and characters like spring man, Rex and pyra, should be dlc and crash has a really decent chance for it since Mario vs sonic vs crash Is another dream battle to happen

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Assuming DLC will happen which, considering they're likely going to support the game at least in version updates, DLC for other recent games and it's guaranteed success in bringing in more Smash fighters, I'm hopefully assuming right. I just hope at SOME point poor SAKURAI gets a vacation :p

Strangely the Switch N. Same port isn't out in Japan alongside the US/EU versions, but they gotta have seen in advertised in the same direct Smash U was announced, right?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Assuming DLC will happen which, considering they're likely going to support the game at least in version updates, DLC for other recent games and it's guaranteed success in bringing in more Smash fighters, I'm hopefully assuming right. I just hope at SOME point poor SAKURAI gets a vacation :p

Strangely the Switch N. Same port isn't out in Japan alongside the US/EU versions, but they gotta have seen in advertised in the same direct Smash U was announced, right?
The Japanese version of the Switch port was indeed shown at the japanese nintendo direct right before the splatoon 2 expansion

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Wishful thinking but would there be a reason they'd hold off the Japan Switch release of Crash N. Sane Trilogy...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Wishful thinking but would there be a reason they'd hold off the Japan Switch release of Crash N. Sane Trilogy...
Or the Swich version of the Spyro reignited trilogy.

Some people have thought about the possibility of the Switch version of the spyro trilogy being revealed at the same day crash and spyro would be revealed in smash and there were even fake leaks, but there's no proof of it. But who knows? A man can dream.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Opossum Opossum , I took the liberty of creating an updated support list for our favourite Bandicoot.
  1. Opossum
  2. Planet Zeb(es)~
  3. Schnee117
  4. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  5. Oasis Dealer
  6. TCT~Phantom
  7. Xeno VII
  8. Guybrush20X6
  9. Mario & Sonic Guy
  10. Freduardo
  11. MatgSy
  12. ryuu seika
  13. BirthNote
  14. Xeno610
  15. Nu~
  16. nirvanafan
  17. smashkirby
  18. PsychoJosh
  19. Ben Holt
  20. Kirbeh
  21. n8han11
  22. Mrrgle
  23. Zem-raj
  24. FunAtParties
  25. Sir Gengar de Ectoplasma
  26. AustarusIV
  27. Wario Wario Wario
  28. Crap-Zapper
  29. CrusherMania1592
  30. Lukingodex
  31. Lampy
  32. KeybladeSmasher
  33. -Master-
  34. ~ Valkyrie ~
  35. Megadoomer
  36. Darkraid
  37. ZealousGamer
  38. Altais
  39. pupNapoleon
  40. Rosalina suporter
  41. Tonydrake
  42. Geno Boost
  43. Sir Ridley XII
  44. Z25
  45. Hypercat-Z
  46. skylanders fan
  47. WaddleKing
  48. Graizen
  49. The Animator
  50. Sponge
  51. DNeon
  52. BlazGreen
  53. Zeox
  54. ZRoy
  55. Ghirahilda
  56. LunarDistortion
  57. Big-Cat
  58. Johnknight1
  59. Dirty Duck
  60. Aetheri
  61. Robertman2
  62. TheAnvil
  63. Ura
  64. Drclaw411
  65. Morbi
  66. Yokta
  67. 8-peacock-8
  68. Kevandre
  69. Aurora Jenny
  70. smashoperatingbuddy123
  71. Jave
  72. WhiteEaglePL
  73. Ascended
  74. Brother AJ
  75. SonicSmasher1
  76. CyberWolfJV TheGuy07
  77. StupendousMike
  78. PrinceGal3n
  79. MasterWarlord
  80. SonicMario
  81. SchAlternate
  82. ErenJager
  83. WonderOne
  84. Nintenzilla *Reboot*
  85. Godzillathewonderdog
  86. TooBadWaluigiTime
  87. Tord the Red Leader
  88. Sean Wheeler
  89. Sheng Long
  90. Staarih
  91. FlareHabanero
  92. Llort A. Ton
  93. MoonlitIllusion
  94. SegaGameBoy
  95. TMNTSSB4
  96. ThoughtfulWanderer
  97. Shyy_Guy595
  98. Questionmark222
  99. Blips
  100. Ed-boy
  101. Groomer
  102. schavira
  103. smash puffle
  104. Gemini-Gene
  105. ShinyLegendary
  106. Door Key Pig
  107. Nintendotard
  108. karl childers
  109. GravelerChamp60
  110. Isaac: Venus Adept
  111. Red Hood
  112. Pakky
  113. Lucas Storey
  114. Kirbyworshipper2465
  115. KMDP
You were actually missing 90 people from the list. :laugh:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Opossum Opossum , I took the liberty of creating an updated support list for our favourite Bandicoot.
  1. Opossum
  2. Planet Zeb(es)~
  3. Schnee117
  4. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  5. Oasis Dealer
  6. TCT~Phantom
  7. Xeno VII
  8. Guybrush20X6
  9. Mario & Sonic Guy
  10. Freduardo
  11. MatgSy
  12. ryuu seika
  13. BirthNote
  14. Xeno610
  15. Nu~
  16. nirvanafan
  17. smashkirby
  18. PsychoJosh
  19. Ben Holt
  20. Kirbeh
  21. n8han11
  22. Mrrgle
  23. Zem-raj
  24. FunAtParties
  25. Sir Gengar de Ectoplasma
  26. AustarusIV
  27. Wario Wario Wario
  28. Crap-Zapper
  29. CrusherMania1592
  30. Lukingodex
  31. Lampy
  32. KeybladeSmasher
  33. -Master-
  34. ~ Valkyrie ~
  35. Megadoomer
  36. Darkraid
  37. ZealousGamer
  38. Altais
  39. pupNapoleon
  40. Rosalina suporter
  41. Tonydrake
  42. Geno Boost
  43. Sir Ridley XII
  44. Z25
  45. Hypercat-Z
  46. skylanders fan
  47. WaddleKing
  48. Graizen
  49. The Animator
  50. Sponge
  51. DNeon
  52. BlazGreen
  53. Zeox
  54. ZRoy
  55. Ghirahilda
  56. LunarDistortion
  57. Big-Cat
  58. Johnknight1
  59. Dirty Duck
  60. Aetheri
  61. Robertman2
  62. TheAnvil
  63. Ura
  64. Drclaw411
  65. Morbi
  66. Yokta
  67. 8-peacock-8
  68. Kevandre
  69. Aurora Jenny
  70. smashoperatingbuddy123
  71. Jave
  72. WhiteEaglePL
  73. Ascended
  74. Brother AJ
  75. SonicSmasher1
  76. CyberWolfJV TheGuy07
  77. StupendousMike
  78. PrinceGal3n
  79. MasterWarlord
  80. SonicMario
  81. SchAlternate
  82. ErenJager
  83. WonderOne
  84. Nintenzilla *Reboot*
  85. Godzillathewonderdog
  86. TooBadWaluigiTime
  87. Tord the Red Leader
  88. Sean Wheeler
  89. Sheng Long
  90. Staarih
  91. FlareHabanero
  92. Llort A. Ton
  93. MoonlitIllusion
  94. SegaGameBoy
  95. TMNTSSB4
  96. ThoughtfulWanderer
  97. Shyy_Guy595
  98. Questionmark222
  99. Blips
  100. Ed-boy
  101. Groomer
  102. schavira
  103. smash puffle
  104. Gemini-Gene
  105. ShinyLegendary
  106. Door Key Pig
  107. Nintendotard
  108. karl childers
  109. GravelerChamp60
  110. Isaac: Venus Adept
  111. Red Hood
  112. Pakky
  113. Lucas Storey
  114. Kirbyworshipper2465
  115. KMDP
You were actually missing 90 people from the list. :laugh:
I kind of gave up on the list when it blew up with supporters during a power outage, causing me to miss people. :p Thanks!

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So, after 10 days of owning the nintendo switch version of the n. sane trilogy I finally managed to get everything in the game including every platinum relic. Stormy Ascent took me the entire afternoon to get the relic holy ****

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Do you all think Crash has a strong enough "rivalry" or notable bond to Mario and maybe Sonic to be part of his consideration? Obviously not as strong or as long lasted as Sonic vs Mario, but this was a guy, if only for a generation, straight up taunting Nintendo in advertisements that weren't Sega's. Representing the big boy Sony that walked onto the scene (like how Banjo Kazooie could represent their time with Nintendo in the 90's?). And that rivalry could have really gone three ways if it wasn't for Sonic Xtreme's cancellation...

Were you siding with Nintendo and Mario, Sega and Sonic, or Sony and Crash?

And even taking Cloud's appearance as just representing Final Fantasy, we're certainly not afraid to have in Sony-like characters like him and Snake, maybe even Heihachi could get in (leak stuff notwithstanding). Just imagine that big "finger up" at Sony and their All-Stars game. Crash may not be as gaming culture crucial an icon as someone like Ryu or Pacman, but neither was Bayo and she may NOT have gotten in because of the ballot as we now know. And "Nintendo relevance" with Pacman, Ryu and (would you say Final Fantasy?) may not seem too significant beyond "having games released for those as well as other systems", right?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Do you all think Crash has a strong enough "rivalry" or notable bond to Mario and maybe Sonic to be part of his consideration? Obviously not as strong or as long lasted as Sonic vs Mario, but this was a guy, if only for a generation, straight up taunting Nintendo in advertisements that weren't Sega's. Representing the big boy Sony that walked onto the scene (like how Banjo Kazooie could represent their time with Nintendo in the 90's?). And that rivalry could have really gone three ways if it wasn't for Sonic Xtreme's cancellation...

Were you siding with Nintendo and Mario, Sega and Sonic, or Sony and Crash?

And even taking Cloud's appearance as just representing Final Fantasy, we're certainly not afraid to have in Sony-like characters like him and Snake, maybe even Heihachi could get in (leak stuff notwithstanding). Just imagine that big "finger up" at Sony and their All-Stars game. Crash may not be as gaming culture crucial an icon as someone like Ryu or Pacman, but neither was Bayo and she may NOT have gotten in because of the ballot as we now know. And "Nintendo relevance" with Pacman, Ryu and (would you say Final Fantasy?) may not seem too significant beyond "having games released for those as well as other systems", right?
Absolutely. While I think his N-Sane revival will be the deciding factor to putting him over the top to DLC, he wouldn't just be chosen for that alone. He's one of the Playstation's biggest icons with a fair amount of Nintendo history himself. If it weren't for that legacy that's comparable to Sonic, we wouldn't even be discussing him right now. Nintendo vs Sony vs SEGA was short-lived but it was still a memorable time in the gaming industry as everyone was comparing each side's specs and graphics. It was basically a continuation of the "blast-processing" 16-bit rivalry.

Top Bottom