• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Not sure 50% is nearly everything.
They correctly predicted every single character announced at E3, and Simon seems very likely now. The only thing they got wrong was Krystal, who is in the game as an Assist Trophy for the first time.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
They correctly predicted every single character announced at E3, and Simon seems very likely now. The only thing they got wrong was Krystal, who is in the game as an Assist Trophy for the first time.
Not every character has been announced for a start.

Crash, Simon (not counting chickens), and Tails are still nowhere but not disconfirmed either. Giving Krystal because she's an assist is a bit generous. I even mistakenly gave them 50% by counting Inklings as something they got right without thinking.

Out of all of the predictions (every character announced, Crash, Simon, Ridley, Kristal, Daisy, Tails, all vets return) they got 3/8. I'll give him extra credit for the every Vet prediction.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Please add me to the supporters list. The Crash Bandicoot trilogy has been one of my long time favorites and still love it with the N Sane Trilogy. I'm not sure how Sakurai feels about 3rd party characters from the west for Smash Bros but this doesn't doubt my hopes for him to be in Ultimate. He would just be a perfect fit for this kind of game. Crash even has a history of being on Nintendo consoles, one including an N Sane Trilogy port for the Switch.

On another note, the art direction for Ultimate would make any Crash stage pretty beautiful. Give me some lush organic environments.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You know Crash has had a solid reputation in Japan, right? And though the two Titans games weren't released over there, N. Sane was complete with classic Japanese Crash:

While I'm not sure how well NSane did in Japan, it did sell good on the PS4 alone with over 2 million units I think. So maybe he's in the popular culture enough for people to collectively want him in. Hell, just think of all the fans desiring/expecting Crash in Smash 5's anticipation.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Not every character has been announced for a start.

Crash, Simon (not counting chickens), and Tails are still nowhere but not disconfirmed either. Giving Krystal because she's an assist is a bit generous. I even mistakenly gave them 50% by counting Inklings as something they got right without thinking.

Out of all of the predictions (every character announced, Crash, Simon, Ridley, Kristal, Daisy, Tails, all vets return) they got 3/8. I'll give him extra credit for the every Vet prediction.
1. You are taking my post way too seriously. Chill out.

2. I was just saying that only one they said was deconfirmed, whereas EVERYTHING announced at E3 was included in their post. They literally named every character in the announcement (even Daisy, who was never leaked). The prediction that every fighter returned was impressive enough, but to get the two newcomers correct as well is pretty astounding. Did they make some other predictions that probably won’t come true? Sure. Who cares? Simon Belmont also seems extremely likely at this point, and Tails is absent from Green Hill Zone so the possibility is still there (although Shadow seems more probable given the absence of his Assist Trophy). And we all want to see Crash. Give them a break. It’s a post on the Internet.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Just thought of something:
One of people's main arguments against Crash is that nst came to late to the Switch and sakurai probably only became aware of it when it was too late to add more characters in development. However, with veteran characters being the priority it's very possible that the newcomers were decided later than usual in development and at a time that Sakurai was probably already aware of Crash coming to the Switch.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just thought of something:
One of people's main arguments against Crash is that nst came to late to the Switch and sakurai probably only became aware of it when it was too late to add more characters in development. However, with veteran characters being the priority it's very possible that the newcomers were decided later than usual in development and at a time that Sakurai was probably already aware of Crash coming to the Switch.
Sakurai always completes his project plan with all the details of character inclusions before development actually starts with minor exceptions like Greninja, I think it's fairly safe to say that Crash wouldn't have been considered for the base roster since N Sane had just been announced in mid-2016, we hadn't even seen it yet let alone know it was gonna be a good, successful game. When it comes to DLC characters though I actually think he's one of the most likely

schavira

Smash Journeyman
I think it will end up being DLC if it happens, and I am fine with that so long as it happens.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I just hope he still has a cool trailer, considering Smash 4'sDLC character trailers didn't have as much if any CGI animations.But having Crash in at all, I shouldn't mind too much. Again, several English people were predicting/expecting and wanting Crash just in Smash 5's anticipation, where as in his hiatus days that wasn't as generally the case. Who wouldn't want to see Sonic, Crash and Plumber Boy/Mustache Man finally Duke it out together?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I just hope he still has a cool trailer, considering Smash 4'sDLC character trailers didn't have as much if any CGI animations.But having Crash in at all, I shouldn't mind too much. Again, several English people were predicting/expecting and wanting Crash just in Smash 5's anticipation, where as in his hiatus days that wasn't as generally the case. Who wouldn't want to see Sonic, Crash and Plumber Boy/Mustache Man finally Duke it out together?
I think they could do a cool reveal without cgi, like mario and sonic wander into n sanity beach and then crash bellyflops on them out of nowhere and knocks them out or something.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
He needs to be in some way or another. Crash is the most relevant he's been in years and is on par with Sonic and Mario considering he was made to rival them. Would kinda be cool if both Crash and Spyro became characters, whether together or separate.

But I must have my Bandicoot. This could very well be his final chance.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Add me, dude. If Crash ever gets in Smash I'm gonna have a heart attack.

I think he could realistically get in Smash this time around. 1) Sakurai said there wouldn't be many more newcomers, but upon releasing smash 4, did he really have in mind all the DLC characters released after Mewtwo? There's no telling what we'll get with DLC post-release. 2) Everyone is back. There's no worry about satisfying popular demand for veteran fighters. It's all newcomers from here on out. 3) Sakurai loves adding 3rd party characters (THANK GOD) and Crash is very near the top of the 3rd party characters that haven't been added yet. 4) Crash was as big in Japan as it was in America. He scored in the top 25 of a Japanese poll for most desired fighters for Smash. 5) Crash regained some relevance with the release of N. Sane Trilogy and it's being released on the Switch. 6) Although his popularity has declined, he still was one of the top gaming icons of the 90's, in the same league as Mario and Sonic.

EDIT: 7) As it turns out, Activision wants him in Smash.

Would kinda be cool if both Crash and Spyro became characters, whether together or separate.
Spyro should get in but not before Crash

Last edited:

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Dude I want Crash for Smash! In my point of view I feel like Crash is the only big big Mario/Sonic level third party mascot that is left to join Smash. I'd be fine if he was DLC, but it is all up to Nintendo and Sakurai at this point.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Opening theme for Crash 1 & 2 as well as the hub world, papu pyramid and hot air raceway from CTR, and Crash N-Tranced hub world would be all i would need
Just give us a jungle-themed stage with a rotation of the Crash 1 intro theme, Crash 2 Turtle Woods theme, and Crash 2 Warp Room theme and my life will be complete.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Its been a while since I posted here but ahem? Crash fans? How are you let his support thread die for a bit?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just biding my time for the DLC train. :p

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
How do you guys want Crash's reveal trailer to play out? I'm still trying to figure out the perfect scenario

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
How do you guys want Crash's reveal trailer to play out? I'm still trying to figure out the perfect scenario
Something similar to Pac-Man's trailer where it shows off Crash coming together with all the other icons, maybe focused on Mario and Sonic specifically since they were his competitors.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's an idea, Coco Bandicoot's in too as an Echo and her differing gameplay thing is the hitbox on her spin attacks is lower (she spin kicks, instead of Crash's Tazmanian Devil homage)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
In terms of a trailer, I really like the idea put forward in this video:
https://youtu.be/NPm2-ItXpik?t=4m55s
Maybe include something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2bzuBSMgNY

An idea of mine:

We see Sonic, Mario, Pacman and Megaman fighting in Green Hill Zone or something. At some point Sonic races past a familiar gem on the ground. He picks it up and immediately thinks of it as a chaos emerald, only to end the chaos emerald sound effect in distortion. He does some mental thinking of what chaos emeralds he already has, but is confused when he thinks he already has seven as Mario walks in on his conundrum. Then we faintly here a BOOGEDABAH in the distance and intense running. Suddenly Mario and Sonic are flung back, one or both of them saying "woah!" in pain response. It's Crash spinning and the emerald that is actually a classic Crash gem lands in his hands. He pockets it and does the Crash Dance, ending with CRASH BANDICOOT BASHES INTO SMASH or something appearing.

Then gameplay, logo, and Sonic shows off his emeralds only for Crash to pull out like 42 gems or something, as well as crystals and relics.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just asked the official Crash Bandicoot Twitter account if he wants to appear in Smash.
It probably won't mean much, but I want to know Activision is at least open to the idea.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I just asked the official Crash Bandicoot Twitter account if he wants to appear in Smash.
It probably won't mean much, but I want to know Activision is at least open to the idea.
Actually, this March during a live direct Activision said they would love to see Crash is Smash, but it is not in their control, so basically it is up to Nintendo to choose.

D

Deleted member

Actually, this March during a live direct Activision said they would love to see Crash is Smash, but it is not in their control, so basically it is up to Nintendo to choose.
Do you mind liking to that? I'm curious to hear that from them.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Did they mean in Activision's control or their as individuals' control?

Damn, if this site is to be believed N Sane Trilogy only did 0.07m copies in Japan, while NA and Europe got a million or two each. I hope this doesn't affect his chances too harshly, maybe in terms of Japanese support for Crash being a fighter...

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/150131/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/
Yeah the ps4 version didn't sell well in Japan because they did really ****ty marketing there.
I have hope for the Switch version, since it is receiving much better marketing for Japan. In the japanese nintendo direct, for example, the nst was one of the latest things to be announced, right before the splatoon 2 octo-expansion.

I'm also surprised about the NA numbers... only 0.94m? I expected more sales there

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Sorry for double posting, but this is relevant:

Whoa!

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Did they mean in Activision's control or their as individuals' control?

Damn, if this site is to be believed N Sane Trilogy only did 0.07m copies in Japan, while NA and Europe got a million or two each. I hope this doesn't affect his chances too harshly, maybe in terms of Japanese support for Crash being a fighter...

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/150131/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/
Well if Crash was to be in the base roster then the poor sales wont affect his chances because the roster was decided way before the launch of the Nsane triology.

Now if Crash was to be DLC then it can go two ways either Crash can be rejected due to poor sales or he can be picked for a boost in promoting the Switch port.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sorry for double posting, but this is relevant:

Whoa!
Really looking forward to this Friday - I preordered both Wolfenstein and Crash, and seeing as I have little to no experience with both series, I'm not sure which one to start with first!

D

Deleted member

I'm getting a Switch after the N Sane Trilogy port releases, which means soon.
I'm incredibly excited to play it, as well as Kirby Star Allies and Hollow Knight.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So many games right now that are in my 'to buy' collumn. I want to get N Sane so bad and can't wait for the Switch version to finally get it but I also loved the demos for Mario Tennis and Sushi Strikers so much, plus there's Hollow Knight and a tonne of other indie titles I've had my eye on...

God I wish I had money.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
So many games right now that are in my 'to buy' collumn. I want to get N Sane so bad and can't wait for the Switch version to finally get it but I also loved the demos for Mario Tennis and Sushi Strikers so much, plus there's Hollow Knight and a tonne of other indie titles I've had my eye on...

God I wish I had money.
Tell me about it. I'm always picky because I want to make sure I actually think games are worth their price value even if I do want to try them out. There are so many good new releases or ports of games I've never tried that are coming out that I have to prioritize because I can't afford them all.

It's times like these where I'm actually grateful for a drier period for new releases towards the holiday season. I may need to catch up, lol.

Red Hood

Smash Rookie
I love Crash, and really hope he gets in. The original Crash was my first video game, and I voted for him in the Smash Ballot (even though I thought it was unlikely then)! It makes me so happy that he has an honest shot with the N.Sane Trilogy being ported! I'm new here, but I support Crash whole heartedly!!

Top Bottom