• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Crash Bandicoot Crashes the Party!

Welcome to the official Crash for Smash support thread! This thread will serve as the home base for all of those who would like to see this iconic video game legend make a playable appearance in Super Smash Bros. That being said, let's take care of a few things.

Who is Crash Bandicoot?

Naturally, there may be some folks who are unfamiliar with Crash. Granted, I don't think he's an obscure character by any means (far from it), but hey, what's the harm in explaining, right?

Crash Bandicoot is the main protagonist of the Crash Bandicoot series of games. The first game was released for the PlayStation in 1996, and since then, his series has garnered worldwide acclaim and has sold over fifty million copies. That puts the series on par with titans like the Donkey Kong and Tomb Raider franchises, and surpasses Metal Gear, Street Fighter, and Smash itself.

In the games, Crash was the result of an experiment gone awry. When attempting to transmogrify local wildlife to create his own personal army, the evil Dr. Neo Cortex gave a previously normal bandicoot immense stamina, athleticism, and durability, far beyond the levels a normal bandicoot should reach, but failed to create a soldier obedient or sane enough to follow orders. As such, Crash proved unruly and escaped from Cortex's lab, to this day thwarting whatever scheme the mad doctor comes up with.

Why should Crash join Smash?

Quite simply, Crash is a gaming icon. Not to mention, his zany style would fit Smash perfectly. Add in the fact that Mario, Sonic, and Crash had a bit of a three way rivalry in the 90s (Mario for Nintendo, Sonic for Sega, and Crash for Sony), and Smash would be the perfect opportunity for all three to settle the score.

But wait, you say, isn't Crash much more of a Sony character? Well, so were Snake and Cloud. What matters is that Crash has appeared on Nintendo consoles, and lo and behold, he has. There were a handful of Crash games on the GBA and GameCube, to name a few.

Some may also say that the fact that Crash is owned by a western developer may be a hindrance. That's partially true in the sense that the only western created character in Smash (Diddy Kong) is wholly owned by Nintendo, but just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it never will. In fact, Crash has quite a bit of notability in Japan. His second game was actually the first western game to sell one million copies in Japan. As well, the original games were heavily promoted in Japan. If any western owned character were to make the jump into Smash, Crash Bandicoot would be toward the top of the list.

As well, there are rumors that Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy will only be a timed exclusive for the PlayStation 4. Take this with a grain of salt, of course, since this is only going based off of the box art not including the "Only on PlayStation" tag line, but the box art may not be final. While it's true that Sony owns the rights to the original games, whether or not that would apply to the remasters is more ambiguous. If the N. Sane Trilogy were to somehow end up on the Switch, I'd say it would do wonders for Crash's Smash chances. Once again though, this is only going off of a rumor, so don't take this as fact.

What would Crash be like in Smash?

Crash's fighting style would be, well, insane. An unhinged, crazed brawler, Crash would fight as if he came straight out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. Iconic attacks like his belly flop would be incorporated into his normals, and most of the rest would be filled in with twirls, kicks, and punches. Appearance-wise, Aku-Aku would float closely behind Crash as he fights, and may also pitch in to help in some of Crash's normals. Mostly though, he's just there aesthetically.

Here are my ideas for Crash's special moves. Feel free to take a look!
Crash's Neutral Special would be his Spin. While this seems pretty basic for a special move, the Spin is quite a utility. For one, the move has little to no starting lag; it's incredibly quick, making it easy to get out of tough spots. It also has a pull effect, making enemies and items move closer to Crash if they're within range. This comes in handy when combined with Crash's Down Special.

Crash's Side Special is the Fruit Bazooka. Crash pulls out the aforementioned firearm and takes aim, but he cannot move when aiming. A reticle appears on the screen when he's in aiming stance, allowing him to more easily connect. If Side B is pressed again, Crash shoots out a fruit that does quite a bit of damage. Pressing anything other than Side B exits the aiming stance.

Crash's Up Special is the Arrow Crate. An Arrow Crate appears below Crash, giving him an additional jump. Simple, right? Kind of boring? What makes this move unique is that it can be used twice in the air as opposed to once, allowing Crash to have what is essentially three midair jumps which he can use at whatever point he wishes. Use this for mix ups and confuse foes about where you'll land.

Crash's Down Special is the Crate Drop. Crash pulls out one of four crates and places it in front of him. The four are normal crates, Metal Crates, TNT Crates, and the incredibly rare Nitro Crates. Metal Crates can't be broken under normal means, while normal crates can. TNT crates explode three seconds after they're touched, and Nitro Crates explode instantly if touched. However, if Crash uses his Neutral Special next to a crate, his spin picks it up and launches it forward. Normal Crates do normal damage, Metal Crates do heavy damage but low knockback, TNT crates do low damage but heavy knockback, and the rare Nitro Crates do high damage and high knockback, and are Crash's best kill move. Only one crate can be in play at a time.

Crash's Final Smash is Aku-Aku. Aku-Aku will come forth, go "Hoodaboogah," and allow Crash to don him as a mask, all while the Aku-Aku theme plays. While like this, Crash is invincible and can't take damage or knockback. However, he doesn't get a power boost in return for not taking damage, to balance it against current transformation Final Smashes. When the music ends, so too does the Final Smash.
New Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

Thanks for tagging me, glad to see a new Crash thread. I played some of N Sane Trilogy at PAX East (Hang Eight). It was good. Like real good. It felt just like it did on the PSone, except it was not as stiff. Still awesome though

Also here is my moveset I made a while back, figured it would be a good place to drop it.

Crash Goes For A Spin!

Stats
Weight: 5/10 (weighs around Sonic's weight, a bit on the lighter side of a mid weight)
Walk Speed: 6/10 (About Duck Hunt's walk speed)
Run Speed: 7/10 (A bit faster then DK)
Air Speed: 8/10 (Around Mario's)
Jump Height: 7/10 (Around Sonic's)
Fall Speed: 7/10 (Around Corrin's)
Size: A bit shorter than Fox
Crawl: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No

Game Play Plan: Crazy Trapper
Crash is all about his insanity. His edgier, crazier game play is where his move set is taken into account. He has adequate cqc tools, and has a very solid keep away game.

Crash is not meant to be a character that rushes in. He does not have the buttons for that. He is instead meant to play the role of a mid range zoner, patiently waiting for his path to victory. By using his specials well, not only will a skilled Crash player survive longer, but they can put up a rather strong wall that helps them nab their opening to victory.

Crash plays best when he keeps his opponents on his toes, similar to a player in a Crash game. For most of a Crash game, you are not able to run in guns a blazing. You have to play a bit patiently, and wait for the right moment to proceed. He is easy to pick up, but truly harder to master, much like his classic games.

A Moves
Jab 1 - A simple karate chop diagonally in front of him (2%)
Jab 2 - Another karate chop in front of him (2%)
Jab 3 - A quick spin that knocks foes away, note that the jab links together, no multi hits, good quick get off me tool (3%)
F Tilt- Crash does a swing with his yo yo (7%)
Up Tilt- Crash does a quick flip with his jetboard, swiping above him (6%)
Down Tilt- Crash's signature slide kick, can be jumped out of at the end, essential poke for Crash, one of his only tools to close a distance (7%)
Dash Attack- Crash hops on a random animal (Hog, Polar, Pura), and slides forward, animal does not matter for damage (6%)
U Smash - Crash plays the didgeridoo, tilting it around (3 hits), with the final "note" killing (11-17 damage, assuming all hits connect )
F Smash - Crash has a boulder roll in front of him a short distance before it disappears, good at controlling space, but not a great kill move, goes about 2-3 the distance of mega man's f smash (12-18 %)
D Smash- Crash break dances (similar to Sonic's down taunt and sheik's down smash, but with more range to the movement) (10-15%)
N air- Crash does a brief twirl in the air, similar to Pac Man or Villagers, but quicker (5%)
F air- Crash chops in front of him, similar to Luigi's fair (6%)
B air - Crash boosts away from the opponent with the Jet Pack from Crash 2. Works similar to Corrin's bair in which it aids in recovery, and helps his spacing,and is one of Crash's better kill moves (9%)
U Air-Crash plays his didgeridoo, swinging it around quickly (think Ike's up air) 8 %
Down Air- Crash uses his famous body slam, can be buffered as a smash attack. Meteor smashes if hit under crash and not the sides (12-15% depending on smashed)

Grabs and Throws
Grab- crash grabs the opponent with both hands
Pummel-Crash headbutts the opponent, a bit slower than most pummels(3%)
F throw- Crash Spins the opponent away (7%)
B throw- similar to f throw (7%) this makes for good mix ups on that part
U throw- Crash throws them upward and fires a wumpa shot at them, this is Crash's best kill throw (10%)
D throw- Crash throws an opponent down and body slams them, decent for combos at low percent (6%)

B Moves
Neutral B- Wumpa Bazooka

This move fires shots of Wumpa fruit, each dealing 5% damage with a small amount of hit stun. Crash can fire one out of a short hop. This move allows Crash to force approaches, and is a rather powerful spacing tool. It only goes a little more than 1/2 of final destination, so it is not the best form of projectile camping in the game It mainly functions to net Crash some space, and grant him a tool to harass opponents.
By having this tool in his default moveset Crash is able to effectively force opponents to weave through his traps. Traps are nothing if the opponent never has to approach, after all.

Side B- The Spin
By far Crash's most iconic move. If the button is tapped, Crash will just do a brief spin forward that deals 7%, and is probably one of Crash's best pokes and can even be used as a cross up aerial move. If the button is held, the move will do a total of 11%, and allows Crash to hover while in use, and is a multi hit unlike its tapped version. Does not put crash into free fall. Can be angled while in use if held.

Up B- TNT Hop
Crash hops on a TNT crate, which falls. The move has super armor on start up until crash gets off the crate, so it has limited armor frames. The crate will be destructive if a player hits it while it counts down. The explosion from the crate can damage Crash if he is not careful, and deals a solid 12% with good knock back. Think of it as a much more offensive Spring or Rush coil without as much range. This makes Crash have more of a mediocre recovery if his Spin is intercepted and he is not smart with this move. Much like the games, the crate remains for three seconds, until it explodes. It can explode prematurely if opposing hits are made, be it by an opponent or crash.
Crash's TNT Hop is meant to be used in neutral as a last ditch escape option if needed, similar to Sonic's spring. However, the kicker is that it is a very potent explosion as well. Crash can use the TNT crate as another tool for stage control, allowing him to get some breathing room and put a dangerous obstacle in his foes path.

Down B- Nitro Crate
Crash lays down a Nitro crate, which damages an opponent for 9% if touched. Crash can lay down up to 2 Nitro Crates, and can not lay down any more. Nitro Crates can chain their explosions like in games, allowing for some kill setups and stage control. The trick for this move is to simply put try to control space with it, much like what nitros do in Crash.
Nitros can be destroyed by strong enough projectiles or physical contact. However, Nitros are still strong due to the fact that oftentimes, they force opponents into the air to dodge them. This allows Crash to snipe at them with his bazooka, and possibly force a bad landing. Nitro at the edge is a really strong ledge control tool, as it can be used with two nitros to cover roll, standing get up, and attack.

Final Smash- Aku Aku
Aku Aku goes onto Crash's face, giving him a huge movement and power boost. He is also immune to knock back, but is not immune to damage. Similar to Giga Mac, Giga Bowser, or Mega Lucario.
Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Crash does his signature dance
Taunt 2- Crash does his death spin he does on death in Crash 1
Taunt 3- Crash turns to the screen over his shoulder and raises his eyebrows, like before he jumps on Polar

On Screen Appearance- Crash jumps out of a warp from Crash 2-3

Victory 1- Crash's Iconic dance
Victory 2- Crash throws up a gem, crystal, and relic, which all fly up to his amusement
Victory 3- Crash hops onto his motorcycle, and rides off

Victory Fanfare- I tend to imagine the victory fanfare would be a few beats from the Crash 3 Warped main theme. It seems at this point that theme has become the standard theme for the series, so I feel it would be good.

Trivia about Crash
When hit by strong attacks, X marks can be seen in his eyes like he is crushed
Sometimes on death, his angel or shoes appear in local play (non 8 player to prevent lag)
This move set was designed to reference Crash levels as well as his abilities
What about a stage?

Crash's home stage would be N. Sanity Beach, a recurring location in the series, as well as the first level of the first Crash Bandicoot game. This is a three part touring stage taking players across the level. Players start on the beach itself and are there for the longest amount of time. There is no real gimmick here, though the stage is a walk off. After a while, a platform rises out of the sand and the players are brought to the jungle portion. Here, every now and then, a crab will appear and hurt the players, though it can be dispatched with ease. The third portion takes the players from the jungle to the ruins using the platform once more. Here, there is much more verticality. Stone platforms appear all throughout the stage, mixing up the fight a bit. After a while, the platform returns the players back to the beach for the cycle to start anew.

Conclusion

So with that, I hope you choose to support Crash Bandicoot for Smash. I truly believe he's a character choice many people tend to sleep on, as far as odds go. I look forward to discussing our favorite orange marsupial and his Smashing possibilities with all of you.

Supporters:
  1. Opossum
  2. Planet Zeb(es)~
  3. Schnee117
  4. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  5. Oasis Dealer
  6. TCT~Phantom
  7. Xeno VII
  8. Guybrush20X6
  9. Mario & Sonic Guy
  10. Freduardo
  11. MatgSy
  12. ryuu seika
  13. BirthNote
  14. Xeno610
  15. Nu~
  16. nirvanafan
  17. smashkirby
  18. PsychoJosh
  19. Ben Holt
  20. Kirbeh
  21. n8han11
  22. Mrrgle
  23. Zem-raj
  24. FunAtParties
  25. Sir Gengar de Ectoplasma
  26. AustarusIV
  27. Wario Wario Wario
  28. Crap-Zapper
  29. CrusherMania1592
  30. Lukingodex
  31. Lampy
  32. KeybladeSmasher
  33. -Master-
  34. ~ Valkyrie ~
  35. Megadoomer
  36. Darkraid
  37. SmashingDoug
  38. Altais
  39. pupNapoleon
  40. Rosalina suporter
  41. Tonydrake
  42. Geno Boost
  43. Sir Ridley XII
  44. Z25
  45. Hypercat-Z
  46. skylanders fan
  47. WaddleKing
  48. Graizen
  49. The Animator
  50. Sponge
  51. DNeon
  52. BlazGreen
  53. Zeox
  54. ZRoy
  55. Ghirahilda
  56. LunarDistortion
  57. Big-Cat
  58. Johnknight1
  59. Dirty Duck
  60. Aetheri
  61. Robertman2
  62. TheAnvil
  63. Ura
  64. Drclaw411
  65. Morbi
  66. Yokta
  67. 8-peacock-8
  68. Kevandre
  69. Aurora Jenny
  70. smashoperatingbuddy123
  71. WhiteEaglePL
  72. Ascended
  73. Brother AJ
  74. SonicSmasher1
  75. CyberWolfJV TheGuy07
  76. StupendousMike
  77. PrinceGal3n
  78. MasterWarlord
  79. SonicMario
  80. SchAlternate
  81. ErenJager
  82. WonderOne
  83. Nintenzilla Reboot
  84. Godzillathewonderdog
  85. TooBadWaluigiTime
  86. Tord the Red Leader
  87. Sean Wheeler
  88. Sheng Long
  89. Staarih
  90. FlareHabanero
  91. Llort A. Ton
  92. MoonlitIllusion
  93. SegaGameBoy
  94. TMNTSSB4
  95. ThoughtfulWanderer
  96. Shyy_Guy595
  97. Questionmark222
  98. Blips
  99. Ed-boy
  100. Groomer
  101. schavira
  102. smash puffle
  103. Gemini-Gene
  104. ShinyLegendary
  105. Door Key Pig
  106. Nintendotard
  107. karl childers
  108. GravelerChamp60
  109. Isaac: Venus Adept
  110. Red Hood
  111. Pakky
  112. Lucas Storey
  113. Kirbyworshipper2465
  114. KMDP
  115. BluePikmin11
  116. SuperJumpmon64
  117. DaUsername
  118. mynameisBlade
  119. SmashNStache
  120. PatPrime
  121. Perkilator
  122. Enigma735
  123. Handy Man

Last edited by a moderator:

CTR was my second game. It's a shame that N sanity trilogy almost certainly isn't coming to switch. I would love to play it AND it would be a huge boost in Crash's chances for smash.

Any moveset that doesn't involve the Wumpa bazooka is wrong.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Crash is perfect for Smash with the amount of personality he shows.
Just leave the Titan/Mutant stuff well alone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Crash is perfect for Smash with the amount of personality he shows.
Just leave the Titan/Mutant stuff well alone.

I'll never forgive them for turning Aku-Aku into Jay Leno. :p

I'll never forgive them for turning Aku-Aku into Jay Leno. :p
Im still horrified about what they did to Tiny. . . poor soul.

For a stage, I understand that something from Crash 1 (either the beach or Cortex's castle) my preference would be from something in Crash 3 or CTR

Either the warp room from Crash 3 or Nitrous Oxide's giant race track

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Im still horrified about what they did to Tiny. . . poor soul.

For a stage, I understand that something from Crash 1 (either the beach or Cortex's castle) my preference would be from something in Crash 3 or CTR

Either the warp room from Crash 3 or Nitrous Oxide's giant race track
The less we talk about "that thing", the better.

At least we can get old Tiny twice in the N. Sane Trilogy. I wonder who's going to voice him there.

D

Deleted member

I was actually considering making a Crash thread, but now I know I was beaten to it. Add me to the support list.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's a testament to today's crazy world that this suggestion can be made seriously.

PSASBR is looking worse by the day.

Add me to support.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While I would be content if Crash Bandicoot made the cut, the main thing to keep in mind is that the upcoming N-Sane Trilogy is a PS4 exclusive title right now.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait, I'm not on there yet. This needs to be fixed more than N. Gin's masochism.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Make a deal to put him in smash if they port the trilogy to switch. If that happens, I'm all about supporting.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will say that if Crash does make it as a playable character, Dr. Neo Cortex should at least appear as an Assist Trophy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Any ideas for Crash's playstyle? I'm thinking to have him spin for a lot of attacks, hitting both sides at once. Maybe stepping on WFT's territory a little but with Crash it can be on purpose.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Any ideas for Crash's playstyle? I'm thinking to have him spin for a lot of attacks, hitting both sides at once. Maybe stepping on WFT's territory a little but with Crash it can be on purpose.
I like this idea. We can also have attacks that fully reflect his insane and unpredictable nature. Not too much spinning, but definitely a lot of crazy attacks.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like this idea. We can also have attacks that fully reflect his insane and unpredictable nature. Not too much spinning, but definitely a lot of crazy attacks.
Here's an idea, Feints. Like for example, Crash's default special takes out the Wumpa Bazooka and fires it but hitting a during the attack causes him to immediately spin, using the bazooka as a club.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I want him in just to see the 5 PSASBR fans in the world rage.
I still wish that game would get a proper sequel. I had a ton of fun with it.

Though it's understandable why they couldn't get Crash. It was made by a smaller team with a limited budget, and it was their first go around. Activision was probably asking for more than they could handle.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Here's an idea, Feints. Like for example, Crash's default special takes out the Wumpa Bazooka and fires it but hitting a during the attack causes him to immediately spin, using the bazooka as a club.
A major part of early Crash Bandicoot game design was an "everything must flow" approach to his moves. Everything linked into everything and speed running was actively encouraged.

Instead of adding in silly combo/mixup moves that have no basis in the source material, therefore, I would suggest that he achieve the same result by having cancel points in most of his moves where other attacks can be inputted.

If we limit this to swapping one attack for another, it gives him a lot of power to respond to things without him being too able to panic shield after committing to an offense. It would make him very aggro-focused, I think, without necessarily giving crazy combo potential, attack speed or strength.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm down with this! Crash was my all time favorite video game character EVER--I LOVED that rat more than Mario, Diddy Kong, Rayman and Earthworm Jim combined! Put me on the list.

ryuu seika ryuu seika I find your words about a potential moveset fascinating, and if you post one I'd look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It would be interesting to see Crash... and it would be even more hilarious if Smash got Cloud and Crash before PSASBR ever did. :p

I plan on getting the remake, but I wouldn't consider myself a supporter. I never played a Crash Bandicoot game other than CTR.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

Thanks for tagging me, glad to see a new Crash thread. Obviously I'd love love love to be on the supporters list.

I played some of N Sane Trilogy at PAX East (Hang Eight). It was good. Like real good. It felt just like it did on the PSone, except it was not as stiff. Still awesome though

Also here is my moveset I made a while back, as well as some stages and other neat Crash stuffs, figured it would be a good place to drop them .

Crash Goes For A Spin!

Stats
Weight: 5/10 (weighs around Sonic's weight, a bit on the lighter side of a mid weight)
Walk Speed: 6/10 (About Duck Hunt's walk speed)
Run Speed: 7/10 (A bit faster then DK)
Air Speed: 8/10 (Around Mario's)
Jump Height: 7/10 (Around Sonic's)
Fall Speed: 7/10 (Around Corrin's)
Size: A bit shorter than Fox
Crawl: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No

Game Play Plan: Crazy Trapper
Crash is all about his insanity. His edgier, crazier game play is where his move set is taken into account. He has adequate cqc tools, and has a very solid keep away game.

Crash is not meant to be a character that rushes in. He does not have the buttons for that. He is instead meant to play the role of a mid range zoner, patiently waiting for his path to victory. By using his specials well, not only will a skilled Crash player survive longer, but they can put up a rather strong wall that helps them nab their opening to victory.

Crash plays best when he keeps his opponents on his toes, similar to a player in a Crash game. For most of a Crash game, you are not able to run in guns a blazing. You have to play a bit patiently, and wait for the right moment to proceed. He is easy to pick up, but truly harder to master, much like his classic games.

A Moves
Jab 1 - A simple karate chop diagonally in front of him (2%)
Jab 2 - Another karate chop in front of him (2%)
Jab 3 - A quick spin that knocks foes away, note that the jab links together, no multi hits, good quick get off me tool (3%)
F Tilt- Crash does a swing with his yo yo (7%)
Up Tilt- Crash does a quick flip with his jetboard, swiping above him (6%)
Down Tilt- Crash's signature slide kick, can be jumped out of at the end, essential poke for Crash, one of his only tools to close a distance (7%)
Dash Attack- Crash hops on a random animal (Hog, Polar, Pura), and slides forward, animal does not matter for damage (6%)
U Smash - Crash plays the didgeridoo, tilting it around (3 hits), with the final "note" killing (11-17 damage, assuming all hits connect )
F Smash - Crash has a boulder roll in front of him a short distance before it disappears, good at controlling space, but not a great kill move, goes about 2-3 the distance of mega man's f smash (12-18 %)
D Smash- Crash break dances (similar to Sonic's down taunt and sheik's down smash, but with more range to the movement) (10-15%)
N air- Crash does a brief twirl in the air, similar to Pac Man or Villagers, but quicker (5%)
F air- Crash chops in front of him, similar to Luigi's fair (6%)
B air - Crash boosts away from the opponent with the Jet Pack from Crash 2. Works similar to Corrin's bair in which it aids in recovery, and helps his spacing,and is one of Crash's better kill moves (9%)
U Air-Crash plays his didgeridoo, swinging it around quickly (think Ike's up air) 8 %
Down Air- Crash uses his famous body slam, can be buffered as a smash attack. Meteor smashes if hit under crash and not the sides (12-15% depending on smashed)

Grabs and Throws
Grab- crash grabs the opponent with both hands
Pummel-Crash headbutts the opponent, a bit slower than most pummels(3%)
F throw- Crash Spins the opponent away (7%)
B throw- similar to f throw (7%) this makes for good mix ups on that part
U throw- Crash throws them upward and fires a wumpa shot at them, this is Crash's best kill throw (10%)
D throw- Crash throws an opponent down and body slams them, decent for combos at low percent (6%)

B Moves
Neutral B- Wumpa Bazooka
This move fires shots of Wumpa fruit, each dealing 5% damage with a small amount of hit stun. Crash can fire one out of a short hop. This move allows Crash to force approaches, and is a rather powerful spacing tool. It only goes a little more than 1/2 of final destination, so it is not the best form of projectile camping in the game It mainly functions to net Crash some space, and grant him a tool to harass opponents.
By having this tool in his default moveset Crash is able to effectively force opponents to weave through his traps. Traps are nothing if the opponent never has to approach, after all.

Side B- The Spin
By far Crash's most iconic move. If the button is tapped, Crash will just do a brief spin forward that deals 7%, and is probably one of Crash's best pokes and can even be used as a cross up aerial move. If the button is held, the move will do a total of 11%, and allows Crash to hover while in use, and is a multi hit unlike its tapped version. Does not put crash into free fall. Can be angled while in use if held.

Up B- TNT Hop
Crash hops on a TNT crate, which falls. The move has super armor on start up until crash gets off the crate, so it has limited armor frames. The crate will be destructive if a player hits it while it counts down. The explosion from the crate can damage Crash if he is not careful, and deals a solid 12% with good knock back. Think of it as a much more offensive Spring or Rush coil without as much range. This makes Crash have more of a mediocre recovery if his Spin is intercepted and he is not smart with this move. Much like the games, the crate remains for three seconds, until it explodes. It can explode prematurely if opposing hits are made, be it by an opponent or crash.
Crash's TNT Hop is meant to be used in neutral as a last ditch escape option if needed, similar to Sonic's spring. However, the kicker is that it is a very potent explosion as well. Crash can use the TNT crate as another tool for stage control, allowing him to get some breathing room and put a dangerous obstacle in his foes path.

Down B- Nitro Crate
Crash lays down a Nitro crate, which damages an opponent for 9% if touched. Crash can lay down up to 2 Nitro Crates, and can not lay down any more. Nitro Crates can chain their explosions like in games, allowing for some kill setups and stage control. The trick for this move is to simply put try to control space with it, much like what nitros do in Crash.
Nitros can be destroyed by strong enough projectiles or physical contact. However, Nitros are still strong due to the fact that oftentimes, they force opponents into the air to dodge them. This allows Crash to snipe at them with his bazooka, and possibly force a bad landing. Nitro at the edge is a really strong ledge control tool, as it can be used with two nitros to cover roll, standing get up, and attack.

Final Smash- Aku Aku
Aku Aku goes onto Crash's face, giving him a huge movement and power boost. He is also immune to knock back, but is not immune to damage. Similar to Giga Mac, Giga Bowser, or Mega Lucario.
Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Crash does his signature dance
Taunt 2- Crash does his death spin he does on death in Crash 1
Taunt 3- Crash turns to the screen over his shoulder and raises his eyebrows, like before he jumps on Polar

On Screen Appearance- Crash jumps out of a warp from Crash 2-3

Victory 1- Crash's Iconic dance
Victory 2- Crash throws up a gem, crystal, and relic, which all fly up to his amusement
Victory 3- Crash hops onto his motorcycle, and rides off

Victory Fanfare- I tend to imagine the victory fanfare would be a few beats from the Crash 3 Warped main theme. It seems at this point that theme has become the standard theme for the series, so I feel it would be good.

Trivia about Crash
When hit by strong attacks, X marks can be seen in his eyes like he is crushed
Sometimes on death, his angel or shoes appear in local play (non 8 player to prevent lag)
This move set was designed to reference Crash levels as well as his abilities​
Stage: Warp Room
This stage is similar to Delphino Plaza, it shows off the many vibrant locations that the Crash series has to offer. Will note platform layout and the like that each area has.

Area 1: Warp Room

Here, the player is in a warp room area from Crash 3. You have a flat platform, no hazards. Each match will start out here, but, it will only be here at first for like 30 seconds. After that, the warp bubble appears and telegraphs the next location. Note that for each location, a warp bubble will appear and telegraph the next location.

Area 2: Warping

This area is the transition area between each location that the stage transverses. It Has the same background that many of the conversations with bosses in Warped has. It has dimensions as warp room. Basically, its like a Castle Siege transition on a platform instead. Lasts for about 15 seconds.

Possible locales transported to:
Ice

Here, the stage is on a slight slope, that is icy. Think of the Skyloft stage in PM, but with slight ice physics. Basically, you have to gain the high ground here, and be very careful with your spacing, or else you might slide right into a smash attack! Penta the penguin appears in the background here.

Medieval

Here, players are transported to the side of a medieval castle. The layout is similar to PM distant planet (no, not every stage here is going to be PM inspired). No real hazards, its one of the early levels.

Bonus Round Crash 1

Here, the players battle on the tree tops, in a format similar to Norfair, but smaller. No real hazards besides falling.

Road to Nowhere

Here, players battle on a bridge, missing plenty of spots (like wuhu bridge but smaller). Some boards are unstable (very few), and will fall if a player steps on them!

Sunset Villa

Here, there are three stone pillars next to each other, with an abyss below. Pillars are about the size of smashville platform. Practice your teching if you get dunked down here!

Sewer

Here, the players battle on a low long FD like platform above water. The water can be electrocuted, damaging players. Think brinstar acid, but does not kill until really late (like 150%) and deals like 5%. The platform can be grabbed, its not directly above the water.

Jungle

The players battle on a long, grounded stretch of jungle. Occasionally, a stone will roll in from the background, which kills players at 125% ish, and deals 10%.

Egypt Tomb

This area has a battlefield like layout. But, randomly when the stage loads, some of the platforms might be scarab platforms, and fall! the trick is to look if they are red or green!

Machine/Spacy

Here, the platforms are again in a battlefield like layout. However, the platforms are held up by lab assistants, who can push them upwards to buffer players upwards slightly.

N Sanity Island

Here, you see the final battle locale of Crash 1. You can see Wumpa and N Sanity Island from this Smashville like platform (the smasville platform is Cortex's hover board).

Each transformation lasts around 30 seconds. The warp bubble will appear and guide the players to the next location, with the transition to the warp area[/spoiler

Music Selection
Main theme (Crash 3)
Main theme Remix (Crash 3)
Snow Go
Sewer or Later
Hang Eight
Hog Ride
Bonus Level (Crash 1)
Road to Ruin
Sunset Vista
Medieval
Prehistoric
N Sanity Island
Egypt Death Route
Cortex Melody

Assist Trophy: Ripper Roo
Ripper Roo hops around on a cane, leaving small explosions that deal 9%.

Victory Theme: A small except of the main theme of Warped.

Snake Codec
Snake: What's this wombat like creature?
Otacon: Snake, you don't recognize him? That's Crash Bandicoot! I thought of all people you would recognize him.
Snake: I just have not seen him in a while.
Otacon: I understand. Crash is a mutated lab experiment by the evil Doctor N Cortex with his evolve o ray. Ever since he broke out, he has been fighting the mad doctor ever since.
Snake: So, he's also a freak of nature. Are those fruit? Is he literally fighting me with peaches?
Otacon: While the wumpa fruit might look Delicious, they are flung at a high enough velocity to explode on contact. Keep on your toes Snake. Crash has plenty of tricks up his... well, shorts.

Palutena's Guidence
Pit: Is that Crash Bandicoot?!
Palutena: You know him?
Pit: Who hasn't heard of him? I mean, its been a while, but he's here! It almost feels surreal seeing him here.
Viridi: Are you done?
Pit: Yes I am.
Palutena: Crash is a tricky one, it's going to be hard to tell what he is up to. But I would say it's best to try to get close to him.
Pit: And get his autograph?
Viridi: And not get spun away or pelted with fruit.

Newcomer trailer idea
Mario, Sonic, Cloud, and Snake are all fighting, representing 90's mascots. Suddenly they hear a slight spinning noise, and a trademark WHOA. Someone comes spinning into them and knocks them away, as a dizzy Crash Bandicoot looks up. Crash is then hit in the head by the Splash announcement, like the title screen for Crash 1.
CRASH GOES FOR A SPIN.
Showcase Crash's moveset, and then at the end show him, Snake, and Cloud all together talking, with Mario and Sonic scratching their heads

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Oh new thread?

Sign me up as a supporter. One of my favorite platformers growing up and still to this day. He's was a unique competitor in the late 90's platformer war with Mario and Sonic. Why isn't this icon in smash yet???

I made a moveset in the old thread as well ^^.
Wanted to make him as wacky and random as possible to bring out the personality of both him and his games.
It's time...​

Crash causes a commotion!

Character Physics
Pretty much exactly like in a crash game.

High airspeed (8/10 Mario-like)
Really good walk speed (9/10 Falco-like)
Good run speed (7/10 Diddy Kong-like)
Kinda floaty (6/10 DK fall speed)
Good jump height (7/10 sonic height)
Weight: Slightly lighter than average (6/10) think pit
Height: Taller than Mario, shorter than fox.
Can wall jump and crawl.

Moveset Theme: Insanity!!

I wanted to create a moveset that fully embodies Crash's character and the nature of his games overall. Each move is wacky, unique, and scary to challenge. His moveset tells the opponent that he's a different type of protaganist.
He calls forth his family to help him out in some attacks, and even goes as far as using enemies from the original crash games as weapons!

Crash's high damaging moves, wide variety of options, excellent CQC, and good combo game make it so that the opponent wants to stay the hell away from crash at all costs!!
Just like in the crash games :laugh:
However, even in mid range Crash has a few ranged options like his wumpa bazooka (and raw, erratic speed) to harass opponents so he isn't helpless against powerful zoners.

All in all, when Crash draws near, Look Out!!

Specials

B: Spin!
Pressing the move makes Crash perform a normal spin with minimal endlag. (Deals 10% damage)
Does decent knockback, reflects projectiles, and can be used once in the air. You can use it while walking or running and it doesn't slow you down. Excellent approach option and "get off me" tool.

However, you can mash B to make it the Death Tornado; a powerful attack that lasts longer, deals more damage (14%) and knockback, has super armor, and has a powerful windbox (50% chance of having a suction windbox, 50% chance of having a random windbox).

What's the downside may you ask? Well, the death tornado has a considerable amount of endlag on the ground and makes you go into a prone state in the air. Spamming it mindlessly is sure to get you punished hard. Use it wisely.

Side B: Mummy Death Hug
Crash hides behind a sarcophagus and a mummy pops out! The mummy dashes forwards and hugs whoever is in its way. (Deals 8% and travels 1/4th of FD)
The hug ignores shields but loses to attacks. Crash can run up and hit the opponent when they are being hugged but the opponent can try to mash out before crash gets to them. The hug is harder to mash out of the higher the opponent's %.

Up B: Bonus Platform
Crash flies upwards on a Bonus Platform from the original Crash games. You can direct the platform wherever you want it to go. You can still perform all of your attacks while riding the platform (even shielding!) but you can't walk or jump off until the platform disappears. It travels pretty far, about as far as snake's Up B did.
To keep it from being absolutely ridiculous, the platform can be destroyed when hit with a strong attack (10% health) Stores your second jump like mega man's rush coil.

Down B: Crate Catastrophe
Crash throws a normal crate to the distance of about 1/3rd of FD. You can hold B to charge this move. Medium charge makes crash throw a TNT Crate and Full charge makes Crash throw a Nitro Crate. All Crates disappear after 7 seconds and you can only have 2 crates out at a time.

Regular crates
-deal 7% and break when they hit the opponent.
-just obstruct space and cause no harm when touched
- can be destroyed with any attack.
-minimal knockback

TNT Crates
-deal 10% when thrown at an opponent
-deal 10% when destroyed by you or opp (any attack destroys them)
-start a 3 second destruction countdown when touched.
-medium knockback

Nitro Crates
-deal 15% when thrown
-deal 15% when they make any sort of contact with you or opp
-high knockback

Ground Normals

Jab: Spin punch (3% turns opponents around), Spinning Roundhouse Kick (2%) then a triple spinning flip kick (Launches opponents upwards and deals three hits: 1%, 1%, 2%)

Dash attack: Crash rides his Nitro Kart into the opponent (10%)

Utilt: Swings two snakes above his head like nunchucks. Hitbox lasts for a while, multi hit (2%, 1%, 1,%, 5%)

Dtilt: Signature slide attack from nearly every crash game. Goes about as far as cloud's dtilt and ducks under projectiles. Knocks opponents into the air at a 90 degree angle for follow up attacks. Has fast startup and moves quickly across the ground. Deals 8% but doesn't deal much knockback.

Ftilt: Crash shoots a wumpa fruit from his bazooka. Can be shot straight or angled upwards/downwards. Deals 7% up close and 5% at max distance (travels the distance of villager's slingshot)

Usmash: Crash falls to the ground and his angel flies upwards a short distance while flapping its wings twice. First hit weak flap (3% uncharged, 6% fully charged) carries opponents into the second strong flap (12% uncharged, 15% fully charged). High vertical knockback and decent endlag.

Fsmash:
Crash swings a large sword in front of him (like the old Knight enemies in crash bandicoot warped) Deals 16% uncharged and 23% fully charged with very high horizontal knockback. Has pretty high endlag.

Dsmash:
Crash spins on his head with his legs stretched outwards like a professional break dancer. Deals 12% (16% fully charged) and deals slightly below average knockback horizontally. Low endlag

Aerials

Nair: Crash spins with all four limbs stretched outwards while Aku Aku spins around him. Has two hitboxes: Crash (deals 6%) and Aku Aku (deals 7%). Most safe when spaced at Aku Aku distance but the first hitbox can push the opponent into the second hitbox at low percentages

Fair: Crash does a diagonal flying kick. Acts as a sex kick so it lasts a pretty long time. Deals 9%, sends opponents diagonally upwards (think corrin's Fair) and starts combos.

Bair: I really like TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom 's idea and would love to see it in Crash's official moveset so I'm borrowing it :3. Jet pack pushes crash forward and the exhaust flames hit the opponent. (deals 12%) Kill move

Uair: Crash does a flip on his surfboard and knocks opponents upwards. Does 8%, starts combos, and can kill at later percentages.

Dair: Crash uses his body slam attack to crush enemies. It is a stall-then-fall move that deals 14%, spikes, and has high knockback. High end lag on the ground and lasts for a very long time offstage. Like sonic's dair, it doesn't keep going down until you die, but you have to be pretty high up in order to recover from it.

Throws

Grab: Reaches out with two hands and picks the opponent up by their shoulders.

Pummel: Headbutts opponent quickly (each headbutt deals 2%)

Fthrow: Crash spin attacks them away (8%)

Bthrow: Crash throws the opponent backwards to Coco who shoots them with a laser. (7%)

Uthrow: Crunch appears and punches them upwards (10%). Kill throw at high percentages (think Marth's up throw)

Dthrow: Crash slams the opponent on the ground 3 times (2%, 2%, 6%). On the third slam, the opponent isn't sent anywhere, but instead is left lying on the floor (Think G&W brawl down throw). They can roll, get up attack, or normal get up. If you predict their action, you can deal more damage (or kill) with an attack.

Taunts

Up taunt: Crash sits on a dazed N.Cortex while playing his didgeridoo.

Down taunt: Crash Revs up his motorcycle while wearing his signature biker gear with Aku Aku by his side.

Side taunt: Crash poses with his family.

Entrance

Crash warps in like in the original Crash games.​

Victory Poses!

Victory pose 1: Pulls out a Crystal, Ankh relic, and Gem, then proceeds to gawk at them in a giddy fashion

Victory Pose 2: Crash does his signature victory dance from crash 1-3

Victory Pose 3: Crash celebrates with his family. Crash sits on Crunch's shoulder while Crunch, Coco, and Aku Aku cheer.

Special death/pain animations
When Crash is sent flying off screen, he gets his own special death animation like mega man. His shoes will fly upwards if sent to the bottom blast zone, sideways if sent to the side blast zones, and downwards if sent to the sky blast zone. For Star KOs, Crash flies into the horizon as an angel. For all deaths, Crash says his signature "Woah!". When Crash is hit with a low knockback move at low percentages, X's replace his eyes as he flinches backwards and stiffs up.

Special sheild characteristics
Crash dons his Aku Aku mask in it's golden form while putting his hands up to guard himself. This creates a strange, shiny, golden barrier around Crash that acts as his sheild but has a few wonky and unique characteristics. The barrier has 1.3% the average sheild health of a normal sheild. Also, crash can even activate his barrier while he's still walking forwards. While this looks incredibly broken at first, there are a few equally crazy downsides. One is the fact that crash explodes on the spot if you manage to break his sheild (like jigglypuff but with an upside to balance it). Also, crash's walk speed is cut down by 50% when he has his sheild up.

So no, crash won't be the absolute anethema of projectile zoners. But he will have a huge upper hand against them which ties into the fact that Crash wants to force his way in so he can cause sheer chaos. Also, I wanted to incorporate the golden Aku Aku mask without making it his final smash (making for yet another wario-man clone of sorts)

Which brings me to his...

FINAL SMASH: Timeline Turmoil
Crash summons a Crystal, Ankh/time relic, and Gem and has them spin around his head for a second as he giggles maniacally in a mini cinematic. After the cinematic has ended, everyone except crash undergoes strange effects like being slowed down (like you were stuck in witch time) sped up by x2 speed, controls are reversed, some characters may explode randomly, and sometimes characters may be reset to where they were and what move they were using a few seconds ago. Crash is invincible during the entire event. The madness ends after 9 seconds and the time returns to normal.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Oh, good to see that it's been revamped :p. Nice to see that Opossum Opossum has taken over since I've been inactive from here.

That said, I of course still support Crash for Smash and he's still in my most wanted for characters I want in a future Smash Bros game. Crash 2 is still among my favorite platformers and I'm really excited for the remakes.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Doubt this would ever happen but i will loose my mind if my 2 favorite childhood game stars not in smash (crash and banjo) somehow get in. I guess it does not hurt to hope.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
So, what songs would people like in Smash if Crash does indeed get in? Here are mine.

Main theme (Crash 3)
Main theme Remix (Crash 3)
Snow Go
Sewer or Later
Hang Eight
Hog Ride
Bonus Level (Crash 1)
Road to Ruin
Sunset Vista
Medieval
Prehistoric
N Sanity Island
Egypt Death Route
Cortex Melody
Opening theme for Crash 1 & 2 as well as the hub world, papu pyramid and hot air raceway from CTR, and Crash N-Tranced hub world would be all i would need

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I still support Crash!

And I would LOVE a Hog Wild remix in Smash, as well as Pinstripe, Dingodile, and Tiny's themes in Smash.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Haha, yeah, Crash would be pretty sweet. I thought of his Side+B being his fruit bazooka, and down+B would be him producing a TNT or Nitro crate and setting it down as a trap. Nitro crates would be deadly.

I support Crash. Let's complete the destruction of Playstation All-Stars by having more Playstation All-Stars in Smash than PSAS.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMzuzKSmFxQ

They just uploaded Sewer or Later! It's not bad looking, but I'll copy/paste my comment on the vid:

Okay, so I LOVE the way it looks and feels so far. The Sewer level's aesthetic reminds me of Wrath of Cortex's H2 Oh No level more than the original Sewer or Later but I can roll with that. As for my constructive criticism, I'm not too crazy about the music though. It felt more natural in the original with the pipes banging and that "alarm" sound. It's like Josh went into a sewer and made a beat by banging on the pipes to make it natural but here it sounds like it lost its style or pizzazz.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Crash is really the only iconic mascot left on the level of Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man (well, maybe Spyro too).
He is to PlayStation what Sonic is to Sega. If Nintendo manages to scoop up Crash as a playable character, we will have the perfect 3-generation platformer trifecta.
I support.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Support. Recently picked up the original trilogy on PSN. Still going through the first Crash, but I've loved every second of it so far.
Like others have already said, he's got the icon status and legacy both in the west and in Japan to be another big third party contender (provided Sony doesn't suddenly buy him back of course.)

I'd only hope that they stick with his classic/remake design, though given that Sakurai held firm in getting his way with classic Pac-Man, I think that'd be a safe bet.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Support. Recently picked up the original trilogy on PSN. Still going through the first Crash, but I've loved every second of it so far.
Like others have already said, he's got the icon status and legacy both in the west and in Japan to be another big third party contender (provided Sony doesn't suddenly buy him back of course.)

I'd only hope that they stick with his classic/remake design, though given that Sakurai held firm in getting his way with classic Pac-Man, I think that'd be a safe bet.
I definitely think he'd end up as his classic/remaster self. Not only would Sakurai likely go with the iconic look like with Pac-Man, but I can't see Activision pushing, say, the Mutant design at this point.

D

Deleted member

If I were in Sakurai's shoes, I'd go with the classic design, and have the rounder design seen on the Japanese box arts be an alt. Maybe even make the latter the default option in the Japanese version similar to Famicom-colored R.O.B. Crash Tag Team Racing did something similar, where Japanese Crash was an alt skin that could be unlocked via a cheat code in the western releases, but when the game was localized for the Japanese market, it became his default costume. I'd post an image of Japanese Crash, but the uploader is currently broken.

And now I can already imagine there existing amiibo based on both American Crash and Japanese Crash.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Crash is one of the few remaining characters that would actually make me excited for another Smash game. Put me on the supporters list.

Top Bottom