• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I said this in the RTC thread, but even what some questionable circles would refer to as "normies" love Crash. I'd say he's 100% above Lara, although MC is also up there with him. Don't mean to set any unrealistic expectations but I do honestly believe he's a lock, or at the very least should be.

Just my anecdotal experience but the number of people I know that don't play video games and still know who Crash Bandicoot is OR just exclusively play his games from time to time is pretty significant
To me Crash is way more recognizable than Lara Croft to casual fans...sort of. No offense, but Croft pretty much just looks like a person with guns. They may accidentally call Crash him a Sonic character or something similar, but as a "cartoon-y animal platformer" he's top ten for sure. Calling his series the Dark Souls of platforming still seems to resonate with CTR

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Eh, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Lara isn't that iconic. Anyone who looks at the woman with the braided ponytail, glasses and dual pistols will immediately be able to tell it's her. That said, the old design is now a relic of a past and her new one is definitely a lot more generic. Because of that, I'd say that Crash is more recognisable in the public eye. As I result, he does stand a much better chance, though I wouldn't be against the inclusion of Lara if it's her classic design (which is a pipe dream at this point).

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Eh, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Lara isn't that iconic. Anyone who looks at the woman with the braided ponytail, glasses and dual pistols will immediately be able to tell it's her. That said, the old design is now a relic of a past and her new one is definitely a lot more generic. Because of that, I'd say that Crash is more recognisable in the public eye. As I result, he does stand a much better chance, though I wouldn't be against the inclusion of Lara if it's her classic design (which is a pipe dream at this point).
Yeah, that's what I meant. She's iconic to a numerous amount of people. Sorry if I worded it weird.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So, for people that are having problems joining friends in CTR: NF, some friends of mine found a solution:

Quote:
Confirmed to work: Switch players can join anyone in their friends list thanks to Dope and Greeny who were able to figure this out. The process of doing it is very simple. You need to put an A or B in front of your name. Example: “A Diego” for it to work. NAT types do not matter when it comes to joining friends This method is confirmed to work, tried it tonight with like 5 players that couldn’t join me before. Now Beenox if you’re not gonna fix the online for the Spyro GP, which I know you will, but if you don’t, pls don’t mess with this, this is currently the only way of playing with friends at this time without having to snipe. With that said, Season 2 is ending soon everyone get Fake Baby T if you haven’t already!

Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/crashbandi...tion_found_for_an_issue_in_which_people_cant/

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
The more Playstation All-Stars that are in this game instead, the better!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m a little surprised no one has asked Activision if they’d like to see Crash in Smash or if they’d greenlight his inclusion yet.

As of post-E3, Crash is currently the biggest 3rd party omission imo and it’s almost a little suspicious Nintendo didn’t contact Act to give him some sort appearance like a trophy or Spirit as he currently has zero presence in the game unlike Rayman.

I imagine Rayman was more requested then Crash since the latter was still dead during the Smash 4 Ballot days but I can’t see Sakurai not atleast considering despite knowing nothing about his opinion on the series.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I’m a little surprised no one has asked Activision if they’d like to see Crash in Smash or if they’d greenlight his inclusion yet.

As of post-E3, Crash is currently the biggest 3rd party omission imo and it’s almost a little suspicious Nintendo didn’t contact Act to give him some sort appearance like a trophy or Spirit as he currently has zero presence in the game unlike Rayman.

I imagine Rayman was more requested then Crash since the latter was still dead during the Smash 4 Ballot days but I can’t see Sakurai not atleast considering despite knowing nothing about his opinion on the series.
I think it's possible that Activision doesn't want people to make speculations about crash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I've given up on trying to unlock N. Tropy in Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. I went through the time trial several times on Tiny's Arena, which seems to be my best track considering how easy it is to get jump boosts there. I slipped up occasionally, usually by clipping against a wall when drifting, but after several tries, I finished with 4:11.00, which I thought was a good time considering how long the track is.

Not only was this not enough to unlock the N. Tropy ghost, but I looked up the times, and in order to beat the N. Tropy ghost, I'd need to shave over twenty seconds off of my best possible time. Seeing as the track has no shortcuts (the walls are too high to jump over), that seems outright impossible, and that's just for one track - I'd need to do the same thing for roughly thirty-two tracks in total (more if the bonus Grand Prix tracks are included, though I doubt that they are).

I'll still try to unlock Fake Crash (I have 2/4 of the purple medals) and keep up with the Grand Prix characters, but N. Tropy seems way too frustrating to unlock.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I think I've given up on trying to unlock N. Tropy in Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. I went through the time trial several times on Tiny's Arena, which seems to be my best track considering how easy it is to get jump boosts there. I slipped up occasionally, usually by clipping against a wall when drifting, but after several tries, I finished with 4:11.00, which I thought was a good time considering how long the track is.

Not only was this not enough to unlock the N. Tropy ghost, but I looked up the times, and in order to beat the N. Tropy ghost, I'd need to shave over twenty seconds off of my best possible time. Seeing as the track has no shortcuts (the walls are too high to jump over), that seems outright impossible, and that's just for one track - I'd need to do the same thing for roughly thirty-two tracks in total (more if the bonus Grand Prix tracks are included, though I doubt that they are).

I'll still try to unlock Fake Crash (I have 2/4 of the purple medals) and keep up with the Grand Prix characters, but N. Tropy seems way too frustrating to unlock.
Don't worry; as a veteran CNK player, it took me 2 weeks to unlock N. Tropy. I usually dedicated time to trying daily during the GP, since it benefits nitro as well. Remember to keep reserves at nearly all times, and really all I can say for Tiny Arena is it's usually better to extend turbo boosts than to jump on certain hills, and you have to tap the brake button in air on certain turns to get past them without losing time.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Don't worry; as a veteran CNK player, it took me 2 weeks to unlock N. Tropy. I usually dedicated time to trying daily during the GP, since it benefits nitro as well. Remember to keep reserves at nearly all times, and really all I can say for Tiny Arena is it's usually better to extend turbo boosts than to jump on certain hills, and you have to tap the brake button in air on certain turns to get past them without losing time.
Until today (when I asked about it on another site), I had no idea what reserves were. I'll try to practice slide-boosting consistently, but I have no idea how it's going to be possible on the tracks that have a lot of bottomless pits, like the one where you race Pinstripe.

I'm more willing to give it a shot after seeing some videos on how to keep your speed up, though I feel like it's still going to be insanely annoying to do. I think I'll wait until after I've beaten Breath of the Wild, though - I'm on a roll in that game, and I don't want to lose my momentum again.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Oh boy

Someone might as well teach me about the reserves are because I have no idea what that is. Special break when turning to prevent stops?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
**** Road Crash. Seriously. My least favorite Crash level hands down. Why anyone would release such a hot garbage level to the public is beyond me. You can’t even restart, you have to go ALL the way out of the level to play it again. You can’t even quit until you’re done falling down a hole for the 20th ****ing time. ****!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh boy

Someone might as well teach me about the reserves are because I have no idea what that is. Special break when turning to prevent stops?
By my understanding, the more that you chain slide-dashes together (holding L and tapping R, or holding R and tapping L), the more that your reserves build up. So if you're constantly slide-dashing throughout the race, your dashes last longer and become more effective.

I have no idea how people pull off slide-dashing on straight lines or narrow roads, and since lightly bumping into anything depletes those reserves, it seems like it's going to be extremely frustrating on some tracks (Tiny Arena, Papu Papu's temple).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Started playing Nitro-Fueled again so I could get Baby T and save up for Nina/Brio (played for less than 2 hours and already got enough coins for one). Words can't describe how much I hate warp orbs online.

Also was the time trial bug that deleted saves ever fixed on the Switch version? I want to do time trials but I'm too scared that my save will get deleted.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
**** Road Crash. Seriously. My least favorite Crash level hands down. Why anyone would release such a hot garbage level to the public is beyond me. You can’t even restart, you have to go ALL the way out of the level to play it again. You can’t even quit until you’re done falling down a hole for the 20th ****ing time. ****!
Crash 3 is my favorite game in the series, but the bike levels are such a huge stain on it. I don't even mind that it's so heavy on vehicle levels in general, but the bike ones are just awful, especially the post-game one with the UFOs. At least they let you retry the level instantly in the N. Sane Trilogy, which is something I guess.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Also was the time trial bug that deleted saves ever fixed on the Switch version? I want to do time trials but I'm too scared that my save will get deleted.
It was never present on the Switch version, just on Ps4.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Has anyone noticed that N. Gin is basically Naughty Dog's take on Robotnik?
In my opinion, I think we should treat the titan games as a bad dream and from what we've seen of characters like Megaman, Ryu, Pac-Man, Simon, etc. they act as they do in their classic games and take very little if not nothing from their modern games. Sonic can be seen as an exception since he was created very late in Brawl's development cycle.

Unlike Sonic, Crash has plenty of moveset potential from the trilogy itself and I think it'd be best to keep it like that. I have made my own moveset list ages ago if you're interested in looking.

Fighter Ability: Aku Aku - Much like Joker's rebellion gauge, Aku Aku will appear when Crash Bandicoot takes enough damage. This will allow Crash to take half the damage and knock-back he would normally take without him. However Aku Aku has his own health bar and will deplete over time and will deplete faster if Crash keeps being attacked. If Aku Aku takes enough damage, he will explode like the Luma and the Aku Aku death sound plays.

Neutral Combo: Crash does the Iconic Crash spin. Like Megaman, he can move while spinning. It is a single hit move but it does a lot of knock-back.

Dash Attack: Crash hops and lunges forward with his belly out much like King K. Rool and then falls flat on his face to the ground.

Side Tilt: Crash does the Iconic Crash spin. He can move while doing this like Megaman. It does the same amount of knock-back as his Neutral combo, Neutral Aerial, Forward Aerial and Back Aerial.

Down Tilt: Crash performs the slide attack from Crash 2 and 3 which can be jumped cancelled for a much higher jump than his regular jump.

Up Tilt: Crash performs a handstand kick upwards.

Neutral Aerial: Crash does the aerial version of his Iconic Crash spin. It does the same amount of knock-back as his Neutral combo, Side Tilt, Forward Aerial and Back Aerial. If this attack is used while performing the slide jump, Crash will gain some extra air time much like in Crash 2 and 3.

Forward Aerial: Crash does the aerial version of his Iconic Crash spin. It does the same amount of knock-back as his Neutral combo, Side Tilt, Neutral Aerial and Back Aerial. If this attack is used while performing the slide jump, Crash will gain some extra air time much like in Crash 2 and 3.

Back Aerial: Crash does the aerial version of his Iconic Crash spin. It does the same amount of knock-back as his Neutral combo, Side Tilt, Neutral Aerial and Forward Aerial.

Up Aerial: Crash flips upside down and kicks both of his feet upwards like he is stomping and flips right-side up again.

Down Aerial: Crash performs the Belly flop from Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3. It will cause him to fast fall but can meteor smash opponents if Crash manages to hit the them at the sweet spot which is under his belly.

Forward Smash: Crash repulses back as if he is trying to regurgitate something from his stomach. He then forcefully lets out forward with his mouth open with a gem on his tongue that deals knock-back to anyone in-front of him. The Gem then disappears and plays the gem collect sound. The coloured gems are able to appear but they do no further damage and are purely aesthetic.

Up Smash: Crash faces his ear upward and readies his hand beneath his head as if he ready to shove slap. Crash then hits his head from below and a crystal pops out from out of the ear facing upwards. The Crystal then disappears and plays the gem collect sound.

Down Smash: Crash readies to pull out something from his behind. He then jumps and rides the now pulled Relic out from his behind like a Pogo stick to slam to the ground. The Relic then disappears and plays the gem collect sound. The colour of the Relic depends on how long the Down Smash was held. Sapphire for tap smash, Gold for animation end and Platinum for full power.

Neutral Special: Fruit Bazooka - Crash pulls out the Fruit Bazooka from Crash Warped. Hold the button to aim the launcher and let go to launch a Wumpa fruit. If the button is just pressed, Crash will shoot in-front of him.

Side Special: Death Tornado Spin - Crash spins around and performs the Death Tornado Spin which unlike his regular spin, is a multi hit move with great horizontal movement but lacks vertical movement. It can be button mashed to keep Crash in the air longer.

Up Special: Jet-pack - A jet-pack appears on Crash's back as it helps propel him straight upwards until the jet-pack malfunctions and blows up, leaving Crash in a helpless state.

Down Special: Super Charged Body Slam - Much like in Crash Bandicoot Warped, Crash will spin around and slam himself to the floor with much more force than the belly flop. Unlike the belly flop, the Super Charged Body Slam grants Crash Bandicoot super armour. If it is performed on the ground, Crash will hop before activating the special move.

Final Smash: Nitrus Laser Blaster - A jet-pack appears on Crash's back and flies sideways to hit an opponent. Now the playing field is set in space and the trapped opponents are in line of sight with Nitrus' laser blaster. Crash then "crash" lands onto the button by belly flopping on top of it that shoots down the opponents and instantly KOing any opponent above 100% damage.

Grab and pummel animations: When Crash grabs an opponent, he will punch the opponent with little jabs. If Aku Aku is summoned, he will pummel the opponent too.

Forward throw: Crash jumps and puts both of his feet on the opponent to kick them while flipping backwards.

Back throw: Crash performs the crash spin and throws his opponent behind him.

Up throw: Crash casually throws his opponent up in to the air with both of his arms.

Down throw: Crash, akin to Diddy Kong throws his opponent from underneath them, Causing them to be thrown behind him.

Entrance animation: A warp that leads from the Warp Room in Crash Warped appears as Crash spins around in his double jump/slide jump pose and lands onto the ground. The warp then disappears.

Idle animation 1: Crash becomes bored as he sighs, crosses his arms and taps his foot.

Idle animation 2: Crash looks to his left and right then scratches his head.

Sneaking: Crash performs the Sneak Shoes ability from the Wrath of Cortex.

Walking: Crash walks casually like he does in the N sane trilogy.

Running: Crash performs the Crash Dash ability from Crash Warped.

Crouch/Crawl: Crash crouches and crawls just like he does in his games.

Up Taunt: Crash performs the first part of the remastered Crash Dance. He has his arms out to the sides and waves them while looking from side to side. He then performs the crotch chop one to the left and one to the right.

Side taunt: Crash performs the second part of the remastered Crash Dance. He performs the running man from left to right.

Down Taunt: Crash performs the third part of the remastered Crash Dance. Crash ducks down and skids himself 180 degrees away from the screen, turns his torso and head towards the screen, giving a peekaboo pose.

Victory animation 1: Crash builds up his excitement and then jumps up with excitement while yelling "Yee-hah" where the splash screen will occur. Afterwards Crash falls down and looks at the screen in joy. This victory animation will be the only one to play for Team battles.

Victory animation 2: Crash spins his way to the results screen and just before the splash screen, Crash hits the screen. Afterwards, he will fall over and hit the ground but then decide to sleep.

Victory animation 3: Crash break-dances much like one of his idle animations. He then jumps to feet and poses like he does when he collects a gem in Crash 1 while shouting "dah dah dah daaaaaaah!" at the splash screen.

Losing animation: Crash is seen grumpy by the loss with his snout drooping as he claps slowly.

Kirby Hat: Kirby wears the top of Crash's head and carries himself a mini Fruit bazooka.

Unique feature: When Crash is KO'd via off-screen, his shoes will fly to the opposite of the direction from where he was KO'd.
These next four animations can play when Crash is certain to be KO'd and there are no walls in-between him to tech off from. While these animations are playing, Crash is not interactable and after they are done playing, the Instant KO animation plays. These animations do not play if Crash is hit during the final KO zoom.
- If Crash is hit by an explosive or a high knock-back fire attack like Mario's Forward Smash, Flare Blitz, Din's Fire, Crash Bandicoot will turn into soot and his ashes will fall to the ground.
- If Crash is hit by a high knock-back electric attack such as Dr. Mario's Forward Smash, Pikachu's Thunder, (Dark)Samus' Charge Shot or R.O.B.'s laser attacks, Crash Bandicoot will be comically electrocuted like in the N.Sane Trilogy.
- If Crash is hit by a high knock-back attack that could flatten opponents (Not to be confused with burying) such as Ridley, King K. Roll or Incineroar's down smash, the Bowser Bomb or the Super Dedede Jump, Crash will be flattened and will look up to see what's happening and then lie down again.
- If Crash is hit by a powerful attack that activates the special zoom feature like the Falcon Punch, Judge 9, Revenge activated attacks, etc. Crash will become an angel and fly upwards.
I'd like to provide some constructive feedback on the moveset; it seems that there's too many tornado moves in there. Yes he's known for spinning, but if you take the Sonic route with his attacks it comes off as a bit boring. Not counting the back throw there's 5 tornado moves and that seems excessive; there's a healthy amount of material to be pulled from Skylanders, the Naught Dog games and Twinsanity and it seems like they're being overlooked. A Flip-Kick and Dive-Kick from Skylanders, tons of props from ND-era gimmick levels, and at least a Down Throw from Twinsanity.

The Aku Aku idea is excellent though and is a nice touch, overall I think the moveset can reference Crash a little more rather than being mostly about spinning. Tornadoes are a big part of him, but there's ways to mix it up, like:
Forward Tilt
Up Tilt

These give the impression that Tornadoes are his thing but he's got variety in how he uses it. Just some suggestions though; you do you.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I think it’s better to just keep the spin-attack for the :GCB: move, I’m not too big on Crash being another :ultmegaman: or :ultsonic: where he ends up gimmicky or uninspired.

“BUT :ultincineroar: AlReADy UsEs SpIN MoVE”

Yeah except no?
It’s controls would be exactly like the Tornado move in Warped where you spin faster depending on how much you tap the button, Incineroar’s functions automatically.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think it’s better to just keep the spin-attack for the :GCB: move, I’m not too big on Crash being another :ultmegaman: or :ultsonic: where he ends up gimmicky or uninspired.

“BUT :ultincineroar: AlReADy UsEs SpIN MoVE”

Yeah except no?
It’s controls would be exactly like the Tornado move in Warped where you spin faster depending on how much you tap the button, Incineroar’s functions automatically.
Yea, personally I'd only have 3 tornado moves max in my moveset: the default spin from the games and the 2 I drew up. With the default spin as his neutral B, you can extend its duration, have him hover with it, and attack people; that's versatile enough to not need any other buttons for a full spin. Spinning body parts like an arm or leg is fine but that shouldn't be overused either.

I also don't see why he should be using TNT crates though. It's Ripper Roo's signature thing, and makes less canonical sense than a moveset where Mario uses Koopa Shells. I say they're better off as items.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yea, personally I'd only have 3 tornado moves max in my moveset: the default spin from the games and the 2 I drew up. With the default spin as his neutral B, you can extend its duration, have him hover with it, and attack people; that's versatile enough to not need any other buttons for a full spin. Spinning body parts like an arm or leg is fine but that shouldn't be overused either.

I also don't see why he should be using TNT crates though. It's Ripper Roo's signature thing, and makes less canonical sense than a moveset where Mario uses Koopa Shells. I say they're better off as items.
Tbf he throws TNT crates around in Skylanders, so it's not unprecedented and could be a lot of fun in Smash if you also threw in some of the other crate varieties.

Having him spin in different ways for at least a couple different moves is a pretty neat idea for his iconic ability. For his main spin, I'd maybe go with the Megaman route of it being his neutral/side tile/areal, but not forward/back areals? (yeah, I've been swayed :p ) As spinning whilst moving forward is pretty important in Crash gameplay, no? He could still utilise the death tornado throughout so you could play as him just like in the games, also making his slide his dash attack, his Super Charged Body Slam his down areal, his Rocket Jump as his Up Special maybe garnished with the Jetpack from Crash 2 and his Fruit Bazooka as his Special or Side Special. Maybe Neutral Special with Side Special being the crate thing?

And for his Down Special, could his Super Slide from N-Tranced be used, maybe?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Tbf he throws TNT crates around in Skylanders, so it's not unprecedented and could be a lot of fun in Smash if you also threw in some of the other crate varieties.

Having him spin in different ways for at least a couple different moves is a pretty neat idea for his iconic ability. For his main spin, I'd maybe go with the Megaman route of it being his neutral/side tile/areal, but not forward/back areals? (yeah, I've been swayed :p ) As spinning whilst moving forward is pretty important in Crash gameplay, no? He could still utilise the death tornado throughout so you could play as him just like in the games, also making his slide his dash attack, his Super Charged Body Slam his down areal, his Rocket Jump as his Up Special maybe garnished with the Jetpack from Crash 2 and his Fruit Bazooka as his Special or Side Special. Maybe Neutral Special with Side Special being the crate thing?

And for his Down Special, could his Super Slide from N-Tranced be used, maybe?
The TNT crates are still more out of place than Mario using Koopa shells for his moveset. In Mario's case it's much more in line with his games for obvious reasons; Crash is associated with crates, but not those crates. It's almost like justifying the beakers from CTR when that's definitely N. Brio's thing. Ripper Roo's known for the explosives. Crash is known for spinning, sliding, body slamming, and gimmick levels that range from riding animals to flying aircraft. Surely, any of those props plus the non-explosive crates would be fine on Crash, especially when TNT boxes can be items that anyone could use.

I agree with you on the rest though; slide for Dash Attack, Fruit Bazooka for a Special, Jet Pack or similar device for Up B and body slam for Down Air. The full-body tornado would be fine as a Special, eSPECIALly if it's given extra features like the option to extend the length, move while using it, and hover in the air. Him having a full-body tornado mapped to more than one button input is honestly redundant and makes Crash a bit stale, when he's got a healthy amount of wacky material from his eras.

I'd have him summon Aku Aku as his Down Special, personally but that's just me.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The TNT crates are still more out of place than Mario using Koopa shells for his moveset. In Mario's case it's much more in line with his games for obvious reasons; Crash is associated with crates, but not those crates. It's almost like justifying the beakers from CTR when that's definitely N. Brio's thing. Ripper Roo's known for the explosives. Crash is known for spinning, sliding, body slamming, and gimmick levels that range from riding animals to flying aircraft. Surely, any of those props plus the non-explosive crates would be fine on Crash, especially when TNT boxes can be items that anyone could use.

I agree with you on the rest though; slide for Dash Attack, Fruit Bazooka for a Special, Jet Pack or similar device for Up B and body slam for Down Air. The full-body tornado would be fine as a Special, eSPECIALly if it's given extra features like the option to extend the length, move while using it, and hover in the air. Him having a full-body tornado mapped to more than one button input is honestly redundant and makes Crash a bit stale, when he's got a healthy amount of wacky material from his eras.

I'd have him summon Aku Aku as his Down Special, personally but that's just me.
So, would Aku Aku work as some kind of shield, maybe?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So, would Aku Aku work as some kind of shield, maybe?
Eh, in my case he'd take a portion of the damage and limit the knockback inflicted on Crash. Anything that hits Crash will be felt by his mask, so he's not an outright block but instead a temporary buff; he'll float near Crash but attacks will go through him, so while he's not shielding him per se he's upping Crash's defenses (flinch, damage and launch resistance) passively. There'd be a large recharge time between summoning him again, and if Aku Aku is still present after the recharge he can be upgraded to his golden form. The golden Aku Aku gives Crash higher defenses; not super armor but respectably close. He can't reach a tier higher than his golden form.

It'll take more damage in the golden form, but after getting enough hits Aku Aku will explode, which is harmful for Crash as he'll receive the feedback from the blast. Things like a Falcon Punch can instantly destroy the base form, and Aku Aku can be knocked out of his golden form with enough weaker hits. A really powerful attack like a Warlock Punch will instantly destroy the mask completely however.

Maybe he can increase the power of Crash's Specials too I suppose. With Aku Aku as a summon, Crash in my moveset will be kinda fragile to reflect how easy it is to die in his games without his mask. Silly but dangerous, able to buff himself but quite easy to KO. That's how I'd go about it personally.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Eh, in my case he'd take a portion of the damage and limit the knockback inflicted on Crash. Anything that hits Crash will be felt by his mask, so he's not an outright block but instead a temporary buff; he'll float near Crash but attacks will go through him, so while he's not shielding him per se he's upping Crash's defenses (flinch, damage and launch resistance) passively. There'd be a large recharge time between summoning him again, and if Aku Aku is still present after the recharge he can be upgraded to his golden form. The golden Aku Aku gives Crash higher defenses; not super armor but respectably close. He can't reach a tier higher than his golden form.

It'll take more damage in the golden form, but after getting enough hits Aku Aku will explode, which is harmful for Crash as he'll receive the feedback from the blast. Things like a Falcon Punch can instantly destroy the base form, and Aku Aku can be knocked out of his golden form with enough weaker hits. A really powerful attack like a Warlock Punch will instantly destroy the mask completely however.

Maybe he can increase the power of Crash's Specials too I suppose. With Aku Aku as a summon, Crash in my moveset will be kinda fragile to reflect how easy it is to die in his games without his mask. Silly but dangerous, able to buff himself but quite easy to KO. That's how I'd go about it personally.
Well, I had a similar idea. Basically, it goes like this: There are two meters. One purple for damage and the other turquoise. Through attacking and taking damage, the turquoise meter fills up. When full, Aku Aku is summoned, and he increases Crash's strength, speed, durability, etc. By attacking alone, Crash can fill up the turquoise meter again, which is now yellow. Filling it completely would make it so that Aku Aku turns golden. However, taking damage fills the purple meter, and if the purple meter is full, Aku Aku disappears and both meters reset, with the yellow meter becoming turquoise again. Now, when Aku Aku is golden, the yellow meter becomes golden, but Aku Aku can still disappear when the purple meter gets full, resetting the meter to turquoise again and making Aku Aku not be there and not show up again until the turquoise meter is full. When the now gold meter becomes full when Aku Aku is golden, he becomes like how he does in the Crash games when he is summoned three times, boosting Crash's powers and stats to the max. The purple gauge does not work at this time, but Crash is hardly invincible, and can still take damage, but far less damage than without Aku Aku. That said, the gold meter drains slowly overtime, without being refilled by attacks. When the golden meter is empty, Aku Aku disappears, and the golden meter turns turquoise and Crash will have to attack and take damage to summon him again. Each time Aku turns golden or is effectively "summoned three times", the purple meter resets.

What do you all think of this idea?

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, I had a similar idea. Basically, it goes like this: There are two meters. One purple for damage and the other turquoise. Through attacking and taking damage, the turquoise meter fills up. When full, Aku Aku is summoned, and he increases Crash's strength, speed, durability, etc. By attacking alone, Crash can fill up the turquoise meter again, which is now yellow. Filling it completely would make it so that Aku Aku turns golden. However, taking damage fills the purple meter, and if the purple meter is full, Aku Aku disappears and both meters reset, with the yellow meter becoming turquoise again. Now, when Aku Aku is golden, the yellow meter becomes golden, but Aku Aku can still disappear when the purple meter gets full, resetting the meter to turquoise again and making Aku Aku not be there and not show up again until the turquoise meter is full. When the now gold meter becomes full when Aku Aku is golden, he becomes like how he does in the Crash games when he is summoned three times, boosting Crash's powers and stats to the max. The purple gauge does not work at this time, but Crash is hardly invincible, and can still take damage, but far less damage than without Aku Aku. That said, the gold meter drains slowly overtime, without being refilled by attacks. When the golden meter is empty, Aku Aku disappears, and the golden meter turns turquoise and Crash will have to attack and take damage to summon him again. Each time Aku turns golden or is effectively "summoned three times", the purple meter resets.

What do you all think of this idea?
It seems like a balancing act between the two meters, and honestly I like it. It gives off a tactical element as well; it somewhat looks like he'd have to over rely on the system, but the alternative is to have him not rely on it, but that would make the system useless. Keeping the damage meter under control while maxing out the turquoise meter sounds like a rewarding challenge. Nice idea!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It seems like a balancing act between the two meters, and honestly I like it. It gives off a tactical element as well; it somewhat looks like he'd have to over rely on the system, but the alternative is to have him not rely on it, but that would make the system useless. Keeping the damage meter under control while maxing out the turquoise meter sounds like a rewarding challenge. Nice idea!
Well then, glad you like the idea! Of course, needless to say, using the shield and dodging attacks would be essential to keeping the purple meter from going full and causing Aku Aku to disappear.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I think Aku Aku would just fine as a FS imo where it’s a cinematic of Crash ramming the opponents across a jungle level and sending them to the end where they get smashed by boxes due to missing several lol.

But if there was a way to incorporate him into Crash’s moveset I think a perfect way is to make him a hybrid of Arsene and Luma.

He starts showing depending on how high Crash’s damage percentage goes up which is a reference to Aku Aku showing up as a pity buff if you die sometimes and he mostly shows up as a second fighter to you just like Luma/Nana but can be KOed just like them.

Anyway, my ideal Crash special moves are pretty simple and straightforward:

:GCU::GCB:: Jetpack from Cortex Strikes Back, either functions like :ultpit::ultkrool: or :ultvillager:.

:GCB:: Tornado Spin from Warped, functions exactly like the origin game where you continue to spin rapidly depending on the button mashing and even allows you to hover.

:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Fruit Bazooka, functions exactly like Warped where you aim the fighters with a sensor and pelt them with Wumpa Fruits leaving a mess effect just like :ultinkling:

:GCD::GCB:: Crates, he spawns all 3 types of crates from the games, the normal ones, TNT, and Nitro.

And it’s not RNG, they’re all spawned in that specific order.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think Aku Aku would just fine as a FS imo where it’s a cinematic of Crash ramming the opponents across a jungle level and sending them to the end where they get smashed by boxes due to missing several lol.

But if there was a way to incorporate him into Crash’s moveset I think a perfect way is to make him a hybrid of Arsene and Luma.

He starts showing depending on how high Crash’s damage percentage goes up which is a reference to Aku Aku showing up as a pity buff if you die sometimes and he mostly shows up as a second fighter to you just like Luma/Nana but can be KOed just like them.
Or Aku Aku could be an item that functions like the Dragoon parts and Daybreak item, where you can collect three Aku Akus to gain enhanced abilities and reduced damage from attacks, with Aku Aku being golden when three masks are collected, of course.

Just an idea.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Aku Aku should just be a background character for Crash that maybe attacks for certain moves.
But if Smash Bros. ever gets non-Nintendo items, an Aku Aku crate would be perfect, as it would function like the back shield, but from the front. Grabbing (hitting would probably be more accurate) a second Aku Aku crate while already equipped would work like a Super Star but damage dealing.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
To me, If Crash needed a gimmick of sorts, I feel like working Aku Aku in as a sort of reward/helping hand for Crash would be cool. (Gonna take a bit of creative liberty here because becoming invulnerable is pretty cheap). If you manage to do something miraculous like a zero-to-death or perfect shield a certain amount of times, Aku Aku can be summoned, giving Crash a temporary stat boost for about 15-25 seconds. Likewise, If you go over 100% Aku Aku will appear with the same stat boost.

I'm not exactly sure why, but having a gimmick that rewards you based on how good/bad you are doing kind of captures the essence of Crash games to me. It's entirely accurate, sure, but invincibility wouldn't work well in Smash. It's probably best for Aku Aku to be there just for taunts and victory animations.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Has anyone here made some ideas for potential alternate color palettes for Crash?

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Has anyone here made some ideas for potential alternate color palettes for Crash?
The multiplayer exclusive "Carbon Crash" always comes to mind, as well as Fake Crash as an alternate character. Besides those, maybe pulling from Nitro Fueled or basing palettes off other characters, like a Blue and Bone gray skin to represent Ripper Roo?
Crash_and_Carbon_Crash_2.png

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Howdy, Madda here with another leak from around the web. Toys for Bob recently posted them doing community work on their Twitter. One of their images just so happened to reveal a little bit too much about some artwork lying around. Since then, they've deleted the tweet and reposted it cropping the section out.

A couple of things that are noticeable:
  • This is all new artwork (obviously)
  • Cortex's outfit matches his original trilogy design because of the yellow gloves
  • Dingodile's new outfit and design (larger, pronounced belly) suggest this is perhaps another reboot/art style shift
  • N. Brio's hulk form is above N. Tropy
  • Mutants(?) or Gods up at the top have never been seen before

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Howdy, Madda here with another leak from around the web. Toys for Bob recently posted them doing community work on their Twitter. One of their images just so happened to reveal a little bit too much about some artwork lying around. Since then, they've deleted the tweet and reposted it cropping the section out.

• Cortex's outfit matches his original trilogy design because of the yellow gloves
  • Dingodile's new outfit and design (larger, pronounced belly) suggest this is perhaps another reboot/art style shift

I'm assuming the new characters at the top might be the "ancients" that Aku Aku has mentioned multiple times. A new Crash game!?

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
https://clips.twitch.tv/CoyZealousCakePeteZarollTie

Activision approves Crash’s inclusion!

Now it just comes down to if Nintendo will select him in which I hope so.

For those who use “muh stingy company” people have to remember that Nintendo (you know, the higher ups above Sakurai?) are the ones picking DLC, not just one guy.

So while I except him to be pricey, I imagine hypothetical negotiations will go normally as we already know :ultbowser::ultdk:& :ultdiddy: were featured in Skylanders and Smash being a much bigger deal then PSASBR for anyone who use that argument.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

For those who use “muh stingy company” people have to remember that Nintendo (you know, the higher ups above Sakurai?) are the ones picking DLC, not just one guy.

So while I except him to be pricey, I imagine hypothetical negotiations will go normally as we already know :ultbowser::ultdk:& :ultdiddy: were featured in Skylanders and Smash being a much huger deal then PSASBR for anyone who use that argument.
DAYUM! Now that is crazy good!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

So while I except him to be pricey, I imagine hypothetical negotiations will go normally as we already know :ultbowser::ultdk:& :ultdiddy: were featured in Skylanders and Smash being a much bigger deal then PSASBR for anyone who use that argument.
Hopefully they put a good word in to the suits higher up. I know this is Activision were dealing with, But hopefully they can look past the profits and see how much Crash Bandicoot has earned a spot in Super Smash Bros to rumble with video game's elite, Please don't let this be another Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale scenario and outcome.

Too bad they don't have a vocal CEO or higher up that would push for Crash Bandicoot just like how Phil Spencer (Head of Microsoft's Xbox Division) pushed for Banjo-Kazooie to join Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Hopefully they put a good word in to the suits higher up. I know this is Activision were dealing with, But hopefully they can look past the profits and see how much Crash Bandicoot has earned a spot in Super Smash Bros to rumble with video game's elite, Please don't let this be another Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale scenario and outcome.

Too bad they don't have a vocal CEO or higher up that would push for Crash Bandicoot just like how Phil Spencer (Head of Microsoft's Xbox Division) pushed for Banjo-Kazooie to join Super Smash Bros.
Well you never know, nobody has ever asked Bobby Kotick (Activision CEO) if he was interested in Crash joining Smash....and with N Sane Trilogy & Nitro Fueled doing extremely well, there’s a good future for the bandicoot.

Nothing is guaranteed but we can only keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom